TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ten Thousand Putts( I love this crazy game)

deauxrite

OK.  It is winter and I don't have a heck of a lot to do anyway..so..I have embarked on a journey of 10,000 practice putts.  The journey is well underway (3400 so far).  The journey includes a wellputt mat for practice on the days that I can not get to the practice green at our course, a Sams puttlab fitting in Phoenix (3 hour drive tomorrow), an Aimpoint  Express lesson for green reading and a Blast Motion swing analyzer for good measure.  The goal here is to:

1.  Work on the mechanics of a putting stroke that is less than optimal.

2.  Reduce the number of overall putts during my rounds (average 31)

3.  Make more of those realistic birdie opportunities that currently result in tap in pars.

The blast motion analyzer has been an eye opener for me.  The fact that I rarely get the putter face closed at impact is huge.  Making the stroke changes to accomplish that small (2-3 degrees) of change is much more difficult than I ever imagined.  I have found that striking the putts on a 11/4 inch wide steel ruler has been a great help.  I am currently at the point where I can roll 10-15 in a row down the 48 inch long ruler. 

The purpose of the Sams Puttlab fitting tomorrow is to see the data and see if there is an improvement possible with an equipment change.  I currently use a face balanced putter with an arced stroke..less than optimal I am told..so I am determined to see if a putter change will improve the numbers.  Now that mallet putters are available with varying degrees of toe hang , I am very interested to examine the numbers.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

I look forward to hearing how this goes. Good luck!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

.  The goal here is to:
1.  Work on the mechanics of a putting stroke that is less than optimal.
2.  Reduce the number of overall putts during my rounds (average 31)
3.  Make more of those realistic birdie opportunities that currently result in tap in pars.

1. Is the stroke less than optimal or are you fighting the putter. SAm and blast should help with this. I know I typically miss right with face balanced putters because I can get it to close.

2. Easy, Miss more greens and 1 putt. Seriously, just looking at total putts is misleading. Hit 18 greens and 36 putts is a good average. Hit 0 greens and 31 is bad. Look at putts per GIR and putts per distance for better assessment if you putting ability.

3. What do you consider realistic? What is your make percentage by foot?

Good luck on your quest to improve.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Easy, Miss more greens and 1 putt. Seriously, just looking at total putts is misleading. Hit 18 greens and 36 putts is a good average. Hit 0 greens and 31 is bad. Look at putts per GIR and putts per distance for better assessment if you putting ability.

Excellent point!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

55 minutes ago, cnosil said:

1. Is the stroke less than optimal or are you fighting the putter. SAm and blast should help with this. I know I typically miss right with face balanced putters because I can get it to close.

2. Easy, Miss more greens and 1 putt. Seriously, just looking at total putts is misleading. Hit 18 greens and 36 putts is a good average. Hit 0 greens and 31 is bad. Look at putts per GIR and putts per distance for better assessment if you putting ability.

3. What do you consider realistic? What is your make percentage by foot?

Good luck on your quest to improve.

I totally agree.  In fact, the reason that my handicap is where it is because I chip and one putt regularly.  I really hope that the Sams Puttlab will verify what I have learned from the Blast.  I did not mention that I have a book by Juan Gutierrez " Make more Putts".. Juan is the World Golf Hall of Fame 2011 Putting Champion and his book is very helpful in outlining a plan and is full of putting drills (Hat tip Juan).   I do a putting skills assessment weekly as per the book and that assessment determines which putts get more attention during the upcoming week.  I can easily convert that information to putts per distance..good idea.  Thanks

A new Sik Armlock putter

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

Also look at Strokes Gained Putting.  You may be a better putter than you think, depending upon how close your first putts are.

https://golfstatscoach.com/calculator

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Update:  I drove to Scottsdale, AZ and had a Sams Puttlab evaluation yesterday.  The process took just about an hour.  I started off by hitting 14 putts with my face balanced putter and did pretty well.  My normal miss is right and I the putts that I missed during that part of the session I missed right.  My putter showed to be correctly adjusted for loft, lie and length.  The recommendation was to change to a 30-45 degree toe balanced putter.  Since I have a couple of blade putters that fit the recommendation, I tried one of my Scotty's.  I hit 14 putts with the first one and found that I had difficulty seeing the correct line..putts to both sides of the cup and a couple of good putts.  The data again showed that the putter was properly adjusted for loft and lie and length.  I then tried a mallet putter with moderate toe hang.  The first set of numbers showed that it needed to be slightly adjusted for lie..loft and length being ok.  Once adjusted, I hit 14 putts with it.  I think that the first 7 went in the cup before I missed one.  All were very close.  The difference was that for the first time I could feel the putter closing as it came to the ball without having to manipulate my hands or wrists to complete the stroke.  I then tried several different putters (all with varying degrees of toe hang and weight).  I  hit all of them very well..some felt better, some looked better to my eye, but the moderate toe hang putters were easier to get on the line. 

I left the evaluation with a couple of insights.

1.  Putter fitting is important.  I have been fit for irons and Drivers in the past.  This was my first putter fitting and I think that it is just as important as the others

2.  Data is critical.  The Sams data is very good because it is graphical in nature..you can see the lie and loft angle of your putter.  You can see the path that your putter takes on the backstroke and the follow through and you can see how open and closed the putter face is throughout the stroke (mine is more open going back).  It allows you to SEE what you think that you are feeling.

3.  Finding he correct putter may or may not have a dramatic impact on putting performance, but it does instill confidence that you have the best piece of equipment for the task at hand. 

Now that I have some good data and have an idea of what I am looking for...I am going putter shopping.

A new Sik Armlock putter

It is all a kit having the right tool for the job. I also find data like this very interesting and I understand those that have no interest in seeing this type of
Information.

As you witnesses, It is amazing how putter configurations influence the stroke. You can learn to make any putter work for you, but some just make it easier

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 12:25 AM, HardcoreLooper said:

Also look at Strokes Gained Putting.  You may be a better putter than you think, depending upon how close your first putts are.

https://golfstatscoach.com/calculator

THIS!!!

I thought I was a horrible putter even though my buddies all thought I was a good putter. I started doing strokes gained for my golf game and found out that I was a scratch putter....as the program converts your stats to a handicap so that it is easier to visualize your skill level.

Love your program that you are following though deauxrite. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Update to 10,000 putts. 

I am just over 6 weeks and nearly 6000 putts into this effort.  As of today I am happy with the results.  Not perfect, but vastly better than what I had when I started.

First, the stroke is much more repeatable.

Second, I am getting the ball on the line that I choose much more consistently.

Third, I am rolling the ball better as evidenced by having a line on the ball that shows that the ball is turning over as it comes off of the putter.

The new putter is working pretty well.  I have added weight to it to more closely replicate the weight of my old putter.  I am now beginning to get the lag putts within my 3 foot tolerance.

I have also started using the strokes gained putting statistic rather than putts per round or per hole..I think that it provides a more accurate data point.  Today I was -.55 strokes gained during my round of golf.  I will continue to develop those numbers as the winter and spring progress.

I will start reducing the number of putts that I hit each day now.  Now that the stroke has settled to a rotation change of .3 degrees +- and the tempo has been steady at 1.8 to 1, I want to spend more time reading greens and focusing on the proper speed..that means less time on the indoor mat and more time on the putting greens.  I will continue to use the mat on weather days and when I feel like the stroke is not working.

One more observation..taking the stroke from the mat and the putting green to the golf course is not as easy as I thought that it would be.  The first two days on the golf course my new stroke was very shaky..almost as if I was really under pressure..I don't really know how to explain it.  Today was the third day and I was more relaxed and able to have confidence as I stood over the putts. 

A new Sik Armlock putter

On 1/31/2020 at 4:35 AM, Raygun said:

How is the Wellputt mat? Are you using their exercises that they have outlined to help at all?

The wellputt mat is excellent.  I find that it is just a touch slower than our greens at the club, but other than that..an excellent putting aid.  I use it exclusively for stroke mechanics.  I use it in addition to a couple of other aids..a 48 inch long 1 inch wide piece of aluminum (which I putt down) and a blast motion swing analyzer that provides me with feedback on the putting stroke in real time.  I have not used the Wellputt exercises.

A new Sik Armlock putter

Update to 10,000 putts.  I have attached a short (12 seconds) video of the putting stroke as it is right now.  The object is to putt the ball down that 1 inch wide, 48 inch long piece of aluminum stock..10 times in a row.  This was my first successful run of 10.  Since this video was made, I have had numerous runs of 10-20 in a row.  Note that when I started this odyssey I had difficulty putting down a 2 inch wide, 36 inch ruler..progress is slow, but it is progress.  That is my wellputt mat under the ruler btw.

https://youtu.be/ArLTSp6UdZM

mq2.jpg

A new Sik Armlock putter

• 2 weeks later...

Update to 10,000 putts. 

I am now at 7,700 putts since December 12th 2019.  Since the last update I have pretty much finished with the Blast Motion analyzer.  My final numbers are .2 degrees (average) rotation change and tempo is solid at 1.8:1.  Both numbers are very consistent through the last thousand putts or so.

I am now working at a slower pace and taking more time between putts to work on line, speed and reading each putt.  I find this to be a much slower process, but interesting and challenging.  If I miss a putt due to misreading it, I spend time looking at the putt and trying to figure out why I misread it..then putt it again until I am satisfied with the results.  If I missed a putt because I did not hit my intended line, then I putt that again until I am satisfied that I made a good stroke.

I am also doing speed drills every day.  It usually consists of 20 putts.  5 from 20 feet, 5 from 30 feet, 5 from 40 feet and 5 from 50 feet..mixed up so that no two putts are hit from the same distance in succession.  Putts have to end up within 3 feet..or the exercise begins again.  Soon I will begin placing an aim stick behind the hole (3 feet) and require that all putts stop between the hole and the stick..if they don't go in the hole🙂.

Using the strokes gained putting calculator, I am seeing -1 to +1 strokes gained putting most of the time.  I have not captured enough data to feel comfortable saying that this is a true average..I think that it will take 25 rounds of golf to see where those numbers finally settle.

Onward and upward!!

A new Sik Armlock putter

7700 putts wow I would be surprised if I have hit that many putts in the 19 years I have played.
Realizing why that's my weakest part of my game.
I tried to take a big initiative last year and spend 20-30 minutes on the putting green prior to my weekly league and kept that up but maybe got 50-100 putts in during that time. I am astonished at your dedication keep going bring it home strong. You definitely need to report back half way through the year and let us know how it has impacted your scores.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

• 3 weeks later...

Update to 10,000 putts.

Now getting close to the end of this adventure.  With the 100 putts that I hit today, I am at 8,610 putts.  The stroke is good.   More importantly, it is consistent.  My green reading skills are beginning to get better as well..just in time for aerification on our club course 😰.  It is all good..I can use the time to work on a few other things.

An interesting note..I have finally settled on a Taylormade Spider putter.  I have fiddled with the weights and finally settled on a bit heavier putter head.  It seems to help me get the longer putts to the hole more consistently.  During this process, I have tried two different Scotty Camerons, a Bettinardi, two Odysseys, a Ping and two different Taylormades.  The spider is a pretty well used putter that I bought from a fellow at the club for $75.  I guess that the lesson there is that the price of the putter has little or nothing to do with the final result..find one that works and be happy with it.

I took some advice from one of the people that replied to this a while back..I am keeping track of strokes gained (or lost), putting.  The trend is getting better and I had a day last week when I had a +2.4 strokes gained putting.  Most of the time it is +- 1 stroke, which I think is pretty good..but the +2.4 was a good day with the flat stick..no real long putts, but lots of good solid putts and no mistakes.

Maybe one or two more updates before this is finished. 

A new Sik Armlock putter

I had to do a double take reading your initial post... had visions of a member from snow country losing his mind waiting for spring.  Then saw your location and thought now wait a minute??

image.png.307660d10c1ac39e324b8e7ba1940d15.png

Then looked up Sierra Vista 🤣.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 1:38 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I had to do a double take reading your initial post... had visions of a member from snow country losing his mind waiting for spring.  Then saw your location and thought now wait a minute??

image.png.307660d10c1ac39e324b8e7ba1940d15.png

Then looked up Sierra Vista 🤣.

I remember that day..I actually worked at the golf course that day..it was nuts!

A new Sik Armlock putter

Update to 10,000 putts.

9,595 as of today.  The local golf courses are still open and the greens are beginning to recover from winter and aeration.  I have made one additional change to the stroke.  I have shortened the back swing by about a third.  It has affected my timing somewhat, but I am working on that.  What the back swing change has improved is the putts inside 8 feet.  I am getting the ball started on the line better and am not suffering from deceleration as much.  It is taking some concentration to make the change, but that is also a good thing.  As per the blast swing analyzer my tempo is steady at 1.8 to 1 and rotation change is constant in the .3 to .4 degrees open range.  The back swing change did not seem to change those numbers dramatically.

Strokes gained putting is slowly getting better.  With all of the variables involved in this process, it is difficult to say if it is a result of all of the practice or one of the other changes..no matter as long as it is improving. 

I will post one more time.  Looking forward to being finished now..ready to play more golf and practice a little less.😃

A new Sik Armlock putter

I am finished.  This project took longer that I expected, but it is finally finished.  I am happy with the result..better stroke and a better understanding of what goes into making a good putting stroke.  Now when I miss a putt, I know if I misread it or if I just did not hit a good stroke.  This summer (if we get to play) will be a good test of the stroke and my green reading ability.  For now..I will continue to hit practice putts on the mat until we can get back out and play.

IMG-1440.gif

A new Sik Armlock putter

That is awesome and I hope to read about lower scores! 

When you bought the SpiderTour did you have to adjust to your specs?  

I used a similar putting mat many years ago and struggled to obtain the proper speed at the course.  My issue was that the mat developed grooves that the ball tracked and it gave me better results than I deserved. After a while it worked out well. Best of luck to you. 

Titleist 915D2 9.5 set at A4

Tour Exotics CB2 15*

Rogue Pro Irons 5-Aw 2* flat

Vokey SM6 56* S and 60* K

3 hours ago, Clemsonfan said:

That is awesome and I hope to read about lower scores! 

When you bought the SpiderTour did you have to adjust to your specs?  

I used a similar putting mat many years ago and struggled to obtain the proper speed at the course.  My issue was that the mat developed grooves that the ball tracked and it gave me better results than I deserved. After a while it worked out well. Best of luck to you. 

The spider did take a bit of getting used to.  Mostly I have had to adjust my setup on down hill putts.  The spider is very easy to drag the rear part of the putter on downhill putts..other than that..it was an easy adjustment.

A new Sik Armlock putter

I really should mention that this has been a lot of fun.  It was really frustrating at first.  Hitting lots of putts but progress was really slow.  Then changing putters, changing stances, changing grips ..trying all kinds of things.  The best part has been having the time and the patience to try different things and gear.  All of those questions that you have about whether this is the big "thing" that makes the difference..it is fun to try so many different things.  Not being afraid to try a claw grip..or a See More putter..this has been really liberating.

I should also mention that I have been watching the guys at the club that are good putters.  We have two or three that regularly make lots of birdie putts.  At first glace they do not seem to have a lot in common..but in watching them closely, they do have a couple of habits in common.  They all look at their putts from at least 3 different angles.  From behind the ball, behind the hole and from the low side.  They all have fairly short strokes.  They keep their back strokes short enough that they have to accelerate into the putt.  Deceleration is death.

I have been playing golf for a long time and it occurs to me that I should have done this 30 years ago.  I think that it would have made my game better long ago.  Hindsight is 2020 I guess.

Thanks for following along.  I hope that it has been entertaining.

A new Sik Armlock putter

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2020 at 10:12 PM, deauxrite said:

I really should mention that this has been a lot of fun.  It was really frustrating at first.  Hitting lots of putts but progress was really slow.  Then changing putters, changing stances, changing grips ..trying all kinds of things.  The best part has been having the time and the patience to try different things and gear.  All of those questions that you have about whether this is the big "thing" that makes the difference..it is fun to try so many different things.  Not being afraid to try a claw grip..or a See More putter..this has been really liberating.

I should also mention that I have been watching the guys at the club that are good putters.  We have two or three that regularly make lots of birdie putts.  At first glace they do not seem to have a lot in common..but in watching them closely, they do have a couple of habits in common.  They all look at their putts from at least 3 different angles.  From behind the ball, behind the hole and from the low side.  They all have fairly short strokes.  They keep their back strokes short enough that they have to accelerate into the putt.  Deceleration is death.

I have been playing golf for a long time and it occurs to me that I should have done this 30 years ago.  I think that it would have made my game better long ago.  Hindsight is 2020 I guess.

Thanks for following along.  I hope that it has been entertaining.

I realize this is an old topic, I'm curious about whether you ended up with a putter with a toe hang because of your stroke type as you said in the beginning.  Was that an effective change?  I have the same issue, I have a slightly arcing stroke but play a face balanced mallet AND have a tendency to leave the putter open about a degree.   Did the toe hang help with this?   I've also heard that heavier toe can make some people leave the putter face even more open...   I have not pulled a trigger on getting a different putter.   Putters are so expensive these days...

pakman92

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

13 minutes ago, pakman92 said:

I have a slightly arcing stroke but play a face balanced mallet AND have a tendency to leave the putter open about a degree.   Did the toe hang help with this?   I've also heard that heavier toe can make some people leave the putter face even more open...   

Mallets and blades will play differently.   I have the same tendency to leave face balanced putters open but do okay with putters with toe hang.  That said,  I wouldn't focus on toe hang as it is really the result of getting everything else right.   for example you can take two putters with the exact same toe hang but different weights and they will perform differently.   Some things to consider would be more offset and lighter weight.  

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Mallets and blades will play differently.   I have the same tendency to leave face balanced putters open but do okay with putters with toe hang.  That said,  I wouldn't focus on toe hang as it is really the result of getting everything else right.   for example you can take two putters with the exact same toe hang but different weights and they will perform differently.   Some things to consider would be more offset and lighter weight.  

Thanks for the reply.  Did you end up going with a toe hang mallet?   When you say lighter weight to help with open face, what's the rationale behind it?  My putter has 24g extra weight (374g total) in it since it is rather short at 32'

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

30 minutes ago, pakman92 said:

Thanks for the reply.  Did you end up going with a toe hang mallet?   When you say lighter weight to help with open face, what's the rationale behind it?  My putter has 24g extra weight (374g total) in it since it is rather short at 32'

I play a mid mallet or a blade.  I putt better with them than full mallets.   I really confirmed this during last years most wanted putter testing.  I was significantly better when testing blades vs. the mallets.  

Lighter weight will allow the putter to rotate faster and may end up more closed at impact.    Having to have a heavier head in a short putter is just another belief that isn't 100% accurate;  just like people that say you have to have your eyes over the ball at setup.