Sign in to follow this  
deauxrite

Ten Thousand Putts( I love this crazy game)

Our Sponsors

I am finished.  This project took longer that I expected, but it is finally finished.  I am happy with the result..better stroke and a better understanding of what goes into making a good putting stroke.  Now when I miss a putt, I know if I misread it or if I just did not hit a good stroke.  This summer (if we get to play) will be a good test of the stroke and my green reading ability.  For now..I will continue to hit practice putts on the mat until we can get back out and play.

IMG-1440.gif

• Like 1

Ping G400 Driver with a 47 3/4 stiff flex shaft.

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot metal irons, Project X 90 shafts. 4-LW

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

That is awesome and I hope to read about lower scores! 

When you bought the SpiderTour did you have to adjust to your specs?  

I used a similar putting mat many years ago and struggled to obtain the proper speed at the course.  My issue was that the mat developed grooves that the ball tracked and it gave me better results than I deserved. After a while it worked out well. Best of luck to you. 

3 hours ago, Clemsonfan said:

That is awesome and I hope to read about lower scores! 

When you bought the SpiderTour did you have to adjust to your specs?  

I used a similar putting mat many years ago and struggled to obtain the proper speed at the course.  My issue was that the mat developed grooves that the ball tracked and it gave me better results than I deserved. After a while it worked out well. Best of luck to you. 

The spider did take a bit of getting used to.  Mostly I have had to adjust my setup on down hill putts.  The spider is very easy to drag the rear part of the putter on downhill putts..other than that..it was an easy adjustment.

I really should mention that this has been a lot of fun.  It was really frustrating at first.  Hitting lots of putts but progress was really slow.  Then changing putters, changing stances, changing grips ..trying all kinds of things.  The best part has been having the time and the patience to try different things and gear.  All of those questions that you have about whether this is the big "thing" that makes the difference..it is fun to try so many different things.  Not being afraid to try a claw grip..or a See More putter..this has been really liberating.

I should also mention that I have been watching the guys at the club that are good putters.  We have two or three that regularly make lots of birdie putts.  At first glace they do not seem to have a lot in common..but in watching them closely, they do have a couple of habits in common.  They all look at their putts from at least 3 different angles.  From behind the ball, behind the hole and from the low side.  They all have fairly short strokes.  They keep their back strokes short enough that they have to accelerate into the putt.  Deceleration is death.

I have been playing golf for a long time and it occurs to me that I should have done this 30 years ago.  I think that it would have made my game better long ago.  Hindsight is 2020 I guess.

Thanks for following along.  I hope that it has been entertaining.