TESTERS WANTED! ×

Road Trip Planning

fixyurdivot

I've come to the conclusion that attending the Masters or Ryder Cup are not likely to be crossed off the bucket list.  However, another bucket list item is a visit to The World Golf Hall of Fame and rounds on their courses.  I'd been kicking around a fly & stay package but then looked at another item on the list "Robert Trent Jones Courses"... hmmm 🤔.  To be brutally honest, between my time in the Air Force and way to much air time travelling while working, I much prefer driving these days.  Then it dawned on me... road trip 👍.  

So I'm now looking at my options from Montana to St. Augustine in the late April thru May timeframe and soliciting suggestions from my fellow spies... perhaps even meeting up with some of you along the way?  No doubt there are some great courses to consider to and from and I'll likely take a more southerly route going or returning.  

Suggestions?

image.png.c8137925fc51e05abe789b444e01c942.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Well, when you get near the Florida border, just hit me up and we can play a round at Kinderou Forest.  I typically play on Friday and Saturday mornings.  If I know you are coming we can schedule a tee time.  Kinderlou is right off of I-75 in Valdosta, so it's pretty easy to access if you are coming from Atlanta.

And since you mentioned the RTJ Trail, I can meet you in Dothan, to play Highland Oaks.  They have 3 nines, so you can make a day out of it.  Highland Oaks also has a really nice par 3 course as well.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Check out the recent Tom Coyne “A course called America” where he played golf all across the nation.

It was well-chronicled on Instagram and hit on some very accessible and gorgeous courses.

Safe travels and please take pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Check out the recent Tom Coyne “A course called America” where he played golf all across the nation.

It was well-chronicled on Instagram and hit on some very accessible and gorgeous courses.

Safe travels and please take pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

A good option and I may or may nor be featured in his book(depends on if my rounds were memorable). I was fortunate enough to play 3 US Open venues with him this summer.

As for advice I would head down through AZ and TX. Good golf along that route and a fun drive. I did a Harley ride from San Diego to Daytona then back to PA in the 90’s along that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I've come to the conclusion that attending the Masters or Ryder Cup are not likely to be crossed off the bucket list.  However, another bucket list item is a visit to The World Golf Hall of Fame and rounds on their courses.  I'd been kicking around a fly & stay package but then looked at another item on the list "Robert Trent Jones Courses"... hmmm 🤔.  To be brutally honest, between my time in the Air Force and way to much air time travelling while working, I much prefer driving these days.  Then it dawned on me... road trip 👍.  

So I'm now looking at my options from Montana to St. Augustine in the late April thru May timeframe and soliciting suggestions from my fellow spies... perhaps even meeting up with some of you along the way?  No doubt there are some great courses to consider to and from and I'll likely take a more southerly route going or returning.  

Suggestions?

image.png.c8137925fc51e05abe789b444e01c942.png

Why not leave from AZ in April instead of going back to MT, the back on your route on the way home?  

I've been thinking about a road trip as well.  Already been to the WGHOF.  I don't have a route, so will have to give it some thought.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Why not leave from AZ in April instead of going back to MT, the back on your route on the way home?  

I've been thinking about a road trip as well.  Already been to the WGHOF.  I don't have a route, so will have to give it some thought.

Well, my wife dosen't play golf and, while she'd like to go with, thinks she'll get a bit bored and wants me to really focus on the golf.  We only have one car here in Yuma and the only other option is to rent one while I'm away - not out of the question but I'll likely just start the trip after we're back to MT and have things there squared away (we have a yellow lab which throws a wrinkle in plans). 

Wow, this is one hell of a road trip you are planning!!!  Sounds fun, and a wife that wants you to FOCUS on golf....BONUS

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

This sounds really cool.  I'd love to do the same thing with Donald Ross courses someday.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an idea...  Go out to Golfweek Magazine List of Top Course You Can Play in 2019.  I put the link below for your convenience.  Then as you plan driving through the states, see if there is a routing that allows you to play some of these great courses.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2019/05/29/golfweeks-best-2019-best-courses-you-can-play/

For example, while you could drive through the western part of SD, you could drop down into Nebraska, (or take this route on your way back) to play Wild Horse in Gothenburg (1 of the top public courses in the country).... or you could overnight further north in Valentine and play one or both of the courses at The Prairie Club.   While none of this might appeal to you, using the list does allow you to think about options you may not have considered.    Looking forward to learning about your final routing.  Have fun and travel safe.

Hey divot... I like your thinking but looks like you missed the entire state of Alabama and the RTJ Trail. 😆

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

2 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

Hey divot... I like your thinking but looks like you missed the entire state of Alabama and the RTJ Trail. 😆

Yea, Mapquest has a tendency to do that when entering P2P (MT - WGHOF)😀.  Happy Birthday btw!!