TESTERS WANTED! ×

How To Make Golf Appealing, Change Golf on TV

higherplane

In 2019, prior to the US Open Jim Nance did an interview and special on Nick Faldo.    This is comparable to say prior to the NBA Championship a special is done on Scottie Pippen - not MJ or prior to the NFL Playoffs a one hour special is done on Terry Bradshaw. Nothing against Nick or Terry but living in the past is killing the appeal of golf to the next generations.  If the game is going to survive we need to make it reasonably interesting for new players, however TV and media in general is doing us all a disservice. 

Given shot tracker technology, current golfers trying new work out routines to gain distance and accuracy, good looking players -  THERE IS PLENTY OF TOPICS other than Jack's 230 yard one iron of yesteryear.    

Thoughts? 

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

Cherry picking a single segment isn’t indicative of what you’re alleging.

Fox sports’ major coverage for example, has been some of the freshest life injected into the sport.

Networks are hiring new analysts as elder statesmen are retiring.

Above all, Nielsen ratings from Tigers resurgence have shown golf is as popular as it was if not more.

A single mention of golfs history during a 4 hour broadcast isn’t going to hurt the game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Cherry picking a single segment isn’t indicative of what you’re alleging.

Fox sports’ major coverage for example, has been some of the freshest life injected into the sport.

Networks are hiring new analysts as elder statesmen are retiring.

Above all, Nielsen ratings from Tigers resurgence have shown golf is as popular as it was if not more.

A single mention of golfs history during a 4 hour broadcast isn’t going to hurt the game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I agree completely. While I prefer to see more event coverage over story telling. It is not too terrible at your run of the mill events. At the majors ( the masters in particular) I get a bit more annoyed by the days gone by stuff, but I still watch...

Fox is the only channel doing everything it can to inject technology into its coverage. We need lots more of that. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

What makes an event popular or historic?  Tradition and memories.

Ask yourself why the Masters is far and away the most popular and most watched tournament every year for the game of golf.  While some are free to disagree with me, there is a tremendous amount of comfort in visiting the same beautiful golf course one week a year to see the world's best golfers vie for the coveted Green Jacket.  But what makes that Green Jacket coveted?  It's probably a different answer for different people, but I'd say that the fact that Jack has won 6, Tiger has won 5, and Arnie has won 4 of them has a LOT to do with it's popularity and prestige.  I would also be willing to wager that if you surveyed every golfer on this website, or any other, if they were given a chance to play Augusta National, how many would do anything and everything to play it?  Why is that?  Sure, it's (possibly) the most recognized golf course in the world, and the conditions for this course are 2nd to none.

But I would say that because Bobby Jones founded Augusta National, and put his name on that club, that the entire golf world reveres that golf course, and that tournament more than any other tournament or course in the world, perhaps with the exception of Saint Andrews in Scotland.  But Augusta stands alone honestly, because I can make plans today for a trip to Scotland, and show up at St. Andrews and as a single, probably be able to tee it up tomorrow if I have the patience and time.  I can't do that with Augusta National.  I will probably wait my whole life and never set foot on the property ever again, let alone have the opportunity to tee it up there.

My point to all of this is that tradition and history are HUGE in golf.  And in my case, I started playing this game due to a chance meeting with Jack Nicklaus, who signed an autograph for me while playing in a charity tournament at my home course in Miami in 1977.  Once I met him, and saw him play in person, I was driven to play the game myself.

How many people have taken up the game of golf because of Tiger Woods?  Well, without Tiger's history and success, where would golf be?

Looking at it another way, if you ripped the record books out of the Masters, and started with a clean slate, I'd lose a LOT of interest in that tournament.  Without the legacy of Bobby Jones, Byron Nelson, Sam Snead, Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer, the Masters has no significance or much meaning, beyond another paycheck for these players.  But as a player, if I have the chance to play in a tournament won by any of these great players in the history of the game, I will work that much harder to make it happen.

And put another way, having had one chance to visit Augusta National at a Monday practice round in 2016, I can honestly say that seeing that place in person gives it that much more prestige and respect from me.  It's like Disney World for golfers.  And there is a reason why it's the most in demand ticket for a golf tournament, and it's not even close.  We even have threads here at MGS once a year where we can commiserate together from the fact that all but maybe a handful of spies will have won the lottery and received a coveted Masters ticket.

Again, others may disagree with me, but without this tradition and memories, golf is meaningless to me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Very little has changed in the way golf is broadcast from 30 years ago and that's not a positive thing.  The Masters had every single shot from every single player in the field available to be streamed at no cost to the viewer last year.  There is no reason the PGA Tour can't offer something similar through a package deal with ESPN+ or Amazon.  Changing on-course commentators isn't fixing massive production deficiencies.  Too many commercials, too many overpaid talking heads, and not enough golf shots.  Given the new TV rights deals and the spike in the fees associated with those new deals, commercials are going to get worse in order to pay for it.  

Just my opinion!

3 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Very little has changed in the way golf is broadcast from 30 years ago and that's not a positive thing.  The Masters had every single shot from every single player in the field available to be streamed at no cost to the viewer last year.  There is no reason the PGA Tour can't offer something similar through a package deal with ESPN+ or Amazon.  Changing on-course commentators isn't fixing massive production deficiencies.  Too many commercials, too many overpaid talking heads, and not enough golf shots.  Given the new TV rights deals and the spike in the fees associated with those new deals, commercials are going to get worse in order to pay for it.  

Just my opinion!

another thing is that for $65 the pgatour gold should offer more coverage. I think you should get full coverage on Sundays. 

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

6 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

another thing is that for $65 the pgatour gold should offer more coverage. I think you should get full coverage on Sundays. 

Exactly, the PGA Tour does it's level best to attract the attention of the casual fan.  It does very little to keep the attention of the avid fan!

31 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Exactly, the PGA Tour does it's level best to attract the attention of the casual fan.  It does very little to keep the attention of the avid fan!

Especially when they have an extended interview with a Surfing champion like they did at TOC. A surfer dude? Really?  It was so dumb both my wife and I said at the same time - let's switch to something else. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

anyone catch the Korn Ferry "mic'd up" stuff?  I thought it was pretty cool..... that would be **awesome** to hear in a major coming down the back 9 for a group that was in contention !

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

3 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Especially when they have an extended interview with a Surfing champion like they did at TOC. A surfer dude? Really?  It was so dumb both my wife and I said at the same time - let's switch to something else. 

"Extended" as in at least 20 minutes.  The only thing they showed during that time was surfing video.  Absolutely nobody watching golf on a Saturday night gives two sh**s about surfing.

Terrible!

I love the mic'd up stuff - they do that in baseball all star game which is great - I would think they could do it in golf broadcasts of tour events more frequently.  I don't understand why there isn't always pro tracer to help us follow shots - it just seems as if there is so much more that could be done.  Tiger's return presents a huge opportunity for the sport - I'm hoping that the Tour takes advantage of it.

In regards to Tradition you can't ignore it - but there's a way to teach about the games history while moving into the future also. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

28 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

anyone catch the Korn Ferry "mic'd up" stuff?  I thought it was pretty cool..... that would be **awesome** to hear in a major coming down the back 9 for a group that was in contention !

It took me a while to warm up to it, at first I found it kind of weird and I'm not sure why, but I ended up really liking it. They should have given caddies mics, too. At times it was hard to hear both sides. It was nice that the announcers intentionally created the "space" to just listen to the players. I also enjoyed the time with Greg Norman as he was discussing what type of shot he would be trying to hit in the situation.

It would be nice to try it on the tour. I'd really like it it they gave Pat Perez a mic, with a nice delay, of course.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

24 minutes ago, revkev said:

I love the mic'd up stuff - they do that in baseball all star game which is great - I would think they could do it in golf broadcasts of tour events more frequently.  I don't understand why there isn't always pro tracer to help us follow shots - it just seems as if there is so much more that could be done.  Tiger's return presents a huge opportunity for the sport - I'm hoping that the Tour takes advantage of it.

In regards to Tradition you can't ignore it - but there's a way to teach about the games history while moving into the future also. 

I love it when the stick a mic in the face of a player while he is playing. They did it on the euro tour to Rahm at the race for the cup championship. I thought it was great!

7 hours ago, sixcat said:

Just my opinion!

I just can't watch golf on TV unless it's on DVR and I join an hour late or so.  If I can't fast forward through the interminable commercials and mindless chatter, I can't deal with it.  And I watch the final round of nearly every tournament.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

8 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I just can't watch golf on TV unless it's on DVR and I join an hour late or so.  If I can't fast forward through the interminable commercials and mindless chatter, I can't deal with it.  And I watch the final round of nearly every tournament.

I almost never watch golf on TV. It's boring and doesn't hold my attention at all. A few years back I sat and counted, the average was showing 3 actual shots over about 10 mins between commercial breaks. Nope. I love to play golf, love to practice golf, if I never watched a golf match on TV again I'd be perfectly fine. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

8 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

That's basically what I do with the exception of majors and European coverage.  European coverage is far and away better than US coverage.

I almost never watch golf on TV. It's boring and doesn't hold my attention at all. A few years back I sat and counted, the average was showing 3 actual shots over about 10 mins between commercial breaks. Nope. I love to play golf, love to practice golf, if I never watched a golf match on TV again I'd be perfectly fine. 

Sounds a lot more like football than golf.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Sounds a lot more like football than golf.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

It was golf. And I know I'm certainly not alone in feeling like the televised game is boring and isn't something worth watching for the most part.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It was golf. And I know I'm certainly not alone in feeling like the televised game is boring and isn't something worth watching for the most part.

I’m not trying to convince you otherwise . Golf certainly isn’t the easiest sport to just pick up and watch on TV.

Personally, I love turning it on and having it play casually in the background.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

21 hours ago, JK Col said:

If the game is going to survive we need to make it reasonably interesting for new players,

Funny how golf has somehow managed to hang on after more than 100 years...  How can that be?

Even after a couple of decades of impending DOOM!  It's kind of like global warming - LOL... we're all gonna die!! Like 20 years ago wasn't it? Now it's 10-12 years. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

Funny how golf has somehow managed to hang on after more than 100 years...  How can that be?

Even after a couple of decades of impending DOOM!  It's kind of like global warming - LOL... we're all gonna die!! Like 20 years ago wasn't it? Now it's 10-12 years. LOL

Thanks for bringing me back down to Earth a bit.  I don't mean to imply in my comments that I believe golf is in trouble or won't survive.  People have been playing golf since before Mary Queen of Scots was separated from her head.  It will be here long after all of us are gone!

Televised golf does need to adapt to the streaming culture a little better though.  Appointment television is becoming obsolete in much the same way as landline telephone.  My fear is the new TV deal is going to leave golf well behind by the time the new deal expires in 2030.  Think about how much has changed in the way we consume content since 2010 with Netflix, Hulu, etc.  Now imagine how much that medium is going to improve and change by 2030.  

Hopefully, there is language in the new deal that allows the PGA Tour to entertain streaming platforms along side the traditional broadcast.

16 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I decided last year that I have a limited amount of daylight in my life, and I don't want to spend it in front of the TV.  I used to spend entire Sundays on the couch watching the NFL and PGA Tour.  Now everything is off of the DVR and mostly fast-forwarded.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

21 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

Mozart's been dead for 228 years, but yet here we are, still singing and performing his music.

And fwiw, golf has been around since the 15th century in Scotland.  It ain't going anywhere.

Honestly, this is like a lot of things we are talking about in life now that have changed in our lifetimes, mostly because of smartphones, the internet, and social media.  People used to actually pick up the phone to talk to one another - now it's a text.  People used to go to drive in movies - now it's Netflix.  People used to read books, now it's YouTube.

Pick your item in life, and chances are it's changed in your lifetime.  I still remember when we got our first microwave oven.  Before that, man, people actually had to cook.  We change, we evolve with the invention of things.  100 years ago you took a boat to get to Europe, because planes weren't invented yet.  They also used goats to keep the grass trimmed on golf courses back in the day, because mowers hadn't been invented yet.

Most "things" in life change and evolve over time.  Old customs and traditions are replaced with new ones, or modified for the times.  This isn't anything new, as it's been going on since the dawn of time.  Not that I want to get philosophical or religious, but there really is only one thing that is constant and true in life, that will never change or be altered by a generation of time.  Golf is not one of them though.  It will keep changing over time, as new technologies and ideas are introduced into the game.  New ways to grow and maintain grass and playing surfaces.  New types of clubs with different materials.  New balls that...well, you get the idea.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS