JK Col

How To Make Golf Appealing, Change Golf on TV

Our Sponsors

21 hours ago, JK Col said:

If the game is going to survive we need to make it reasonably interesting for new players,

Funny how golf has somehow managed to hang on after more than 100 years...  How can that be?

Even after a couple of decades of impending DOOM!  It's kind of like global warming - LOL... we're all gonna die!! Like 20 years ago wasn't it? Now it's 10-12 years. LOL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

Funny how golf has somehow managed to hang on after more than 100 years...  How can that be?

Even after a couple of decades of impending DOOM!  It's kind of like global warming - LOL... we're all gonna die!! Like 20 years ago wasn't it? Now it's 10-12 years. LOL

Thanks for bringing me back down to Earth a bit.  I don't mean to imply in my comments that I believe golf is in trouble or won't survive.  People have been playing golf since before Mary Queen of Scots was separated from her head.  It will be here long after all of us are gone!

Televised golf does need to adapt to the streaming culture a little better though.  Appointment television is becoming obsolete in much the same way as landline telephone.  My fear is the new TV deal is going to leave golf well behind by the time the new deal expires in 2030.  Think about how much has changed in the way we consume content since 2010 with Netflix, Hulu, etc.  Now imagine how much that medium is going to improve and change by 2030.  

Hopefully, there is language in the new deal that allows the PGA Tour to entertain streaming platforms along side the traditional broadcast.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I almost never watch golf on TV. It's boring and doesn't hold my attention at all. A few years back I sat and counted, the average was showing 3 actual shots over about 10 mins between commercial breaks. Nope. I love to play golf, love to practice golf, if I never watched a golf match on TV again I'd be perfectly fine. 

I decided last year that I have a limited amount of daylight in my life, and I don't want to spend it in front of the TV.  I used to spend entire Sundays on the couch watching the NFL and PGA Tour.  Now everything is off of the DVR and mostly fast-forwarded.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

Mozart's been dead for 228 years, but yet here we are, still singing and performing his music.

And fwiw, golf has been around since the 15th century in Scotland.  It ain't going anywhere.

Honestly, this is like a lot of things we are talking about in life now that have changed in our lifetimes, mostly because of smartphones, the internet, and social media.  People used to actually pick up the phone to talk to one another - now it's a text.  People used to go to drive in movies - now it's Netflix.  People used to read books, now it's YouTube.

Pick your item in life, and chances are it's changed in your lifetime.  I still remember when we got our first microwave oven.  Before that, man, people actually had to cook.  We change, we evolve with the invention of things.  100 years ago you took a boat to get to Europe, because planes weren't invented yet.  They also used goats to keep the grass trimmed on golf courses back in the day, because mowers hadn't been invented yet.

Most "things" in life change and evolve over time.  Old customs and traditions are replaced with new ones, or modified for the times.  This isn't anything new, as it's been going on since the dawn of time.  Not that I want to get philosophical or religious, but there really is only one thing that is constant and true in life, that will never change or be altered by a generation of time.  Golf is not one of them though.  It will keep changing over time, as new technologies and ideas are introduced into the game.  New ways to grow and maintain grass and playing surfaces.  New types of clubs with different materials.  New balls that...well, you get the idea.

• Like 4