but the 3 wood? Now that’s a beast

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I got fit for the Mavrik recently by a club pro with Flight Scope. A few interesting findings with the Mavrik -- some of which might also be accredited to the shaft (GD Tour AD-XC 7X)

1. Standard head was spinning similar to the Epic SZ head I was comparing it to, even when lofted up 3.5 degrees from the Epic SZ. The shaft in my Epic SZ is supposed to be a very "low launch/low spin" shaft (Accra TZ6 65X)

2. Ball speeds and distance were VERY good on misses.

3. Launched on average 3-4 degrees higher than the Epic with the Accra shaft. This is likely with the increased loft, but I was never able to loft up without spin going through the roof.

Overall, I think the head looks awesome, sounds great (personally much better than the Flash), and provides really good numbers.

Driver:     image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png Mavrik SZ - GD XC-7X

3 Wood:   image.png.fa4b3f2cf297aab0430b504772faa7d2.png Taylormade SIM - GD AD-DI 7X

Hybrids:  image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png Apex 20* - GD AD-DI 95X

Irons:      image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png  Apex Pro '19 - DG X100 4-PW

Wedges: image.png.4554f4063a75fadd669e2b2fd26101d8.png SM7

Putter:     Spider X Chalk

Ball:         ProV1

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Had a driver fitting at CC yesterday, used the standard Mavrik head to sort through shafts. There was one shaft that stood above the others for dispersion, my primary goal. Then tried the latest Ping, Titleist and Cobra heads with that shaft, none matched the Mavrik, so that’s what CC recommended of course. Since I’m still not sure where (my inconsistent) swing outweighs ideal fitting, I ordered the new shaft with my Rogue head since TXG reported them similar with the exact same setup as their Mavrik spec. So now if it doesn’t pan out on course real world, I’m out $500 less (for a Mavrik head). However, I really liked the Mavrik.

What was the shaft? 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

7 hours ago, Middler said:

Had a driver fitting at CC yesterday, used the standard Mavrik head to sort through shafts. There was one shaft that stood above the others for dispersion, my primary goal. Then tried the latest Ping, Titleist and Cobra heads with that shaft, none matched the Mavrik, so that’s what CC recommended of course. Since I’m still not sure where (my inconsistent) swing outweighs ideal fitting, I ordered the new shaft with my Rogue head since TXG reported them similar with the exact same setup as their Mavrik spec. So now if it doesn’t pan out on course real world, I’m out $500 less (for a Mavrik head). However, I really liked the Mavrik.

So no swap of shafts with the other heads to see if there was a better combo for the heads?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

33 minutes ago, Middler said:

That’s Club Champions methodology. The fitter said the shaft is 80% of the optimization, so they pick a head *** and try shafts (8 IIRC). Once they’ve chosen a shaft, then try other heads (4 total). The “winner” is the combo with the best results. I said upfront I was looking for tighter dispersion period, whereas more distance is what more people want from a fitting.

I wouldn't think it would be necessary to try all combinations of shafts and heads, but just my uneducated opinion. At my request, he let me try the chosen shaft with my Rogue head too.

*** I think he picked Mavrik assuming I approved of Callaway because I have a Rogue - and I was fine with that. I’m sure I could have insisted on another head to start with if I asked.

That’s interesting. Everywhere I’ve been fit it’s find head/loft that gives best numbers and fine tweak with shaft.

The good thing that matters is you came away with something that works and that you know what the best combo for you is if you decide to change heads

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

That’s Club Champions methodology. The fitter said the shaft is 80% of the optimization, so they pick a head *** and try shafts (8 IIRC). Once they’ve chosen a shaft, then try other heads (4 total). The “winner” is the combo with the best results. I said upfront I was looking for tighter dispersion period, whereas more distance is what more people want from a fitting.
I wouldn't think it would be necessary to try all combinations of shafts and heads, but just my uneducated opinion. At my request, he let me try the chosen shaft with my Rogue head too.
*** I think he picked Mavrik assuming I approved of Callaway because I have a Rogue - and I was fine with that. I’m sure I could have insisted on another head to start with if I asked.

I sure wish you’d have gone to my guy at CC in New Orleans as he fits to the head first, THEN shaft, which is what is recommended. Oh well. Hoping all works-out for the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

10 minutes ago, Middler said:

I’ve never read that recommendation. But I have read that the right shaft is the priority, and where the biggest bang for the buck is in fitting. My launch angle, spin, apex height and descent angle were good from the start on my Rogue and the Mavrik, otherwise I’m sure he would have changed heads before taking me through shafts.

Here’s are two sources that show once a workable head, it’s shaft first, then alternate heads.

https://golfblogger.com/club-champion-driver-fitting/

https://pluggedingolf.com/club-fitting-club-champion/ 

Step #1: Find the Best Shaft

I’m not sure how you could evaluate a head with the wrong shaft? 

I think it's just semantics here. Yes, any reputable fitter will find a decent shaft to use to compare in multiple heads. A player won't swing comfortably if they have a poor shaft fit. So yes, technically the fitter will find a shaft that the golfer is comfortable with first before truly beginning the fitting. 

Once a comfortable shaft is found, then the fitter will cycle through heads to find a good fit. Once the heads have been narrowed down, then the true shaft fitting happens. 

This is what happened with me a True Spec. My fitter asked if I liked my current iron shaft and he saw my baseline numbers with it. He was happy with those baseline numbers so he then used that shaft (Modus 120x) as the shaft to start testing heads with. Once we narrowed the heads down to two choices, he started giving me different shafts so we could fine tune.. 

So no, the shaft isn't fit first, but a good fitter will find a good baseline shaft for the golfer to test with multiple heads to decide on the optimal head before finishing things up with the true shaft fitting 

Just gonna share this here...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

• 3 months later...

Anybody test the Mavrik/Mavrik SZ against the Cobra Speedzone Xtreme/Speedzone? 

I am curious which ones stood out positively or negatively in terms of distance, forgiveness, etc. 

Cheers!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 9* w/ Accra Tour Z RPG 462 M4+

3 Wood: :titelist-small:TSi2 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65

3 Hybrid: :ping-small: G425 19* w/ Alta CB 70

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB (4-6) / MMC (7-PW) w/ DG X100

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM6 54 S-grind / 58 M-grind w/ DG S300

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Rx V-line Fang 

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 

I hit the Mavrik in a sim last week, while I hit it well it didn’t really show much improvement over my Cobra F7

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I wanted to love mavrik but sim won out

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

• 3 weeks later...

I hit all three mavrik drivers and both SIM in a custom fitting session.  Im a standard loft, lie and length guy.  My swing speed is between 110 and 116 MPH with my driver.  After it was all said and done I went with the Mavrik max as it still gave me the longest distance on mis-hits (around 255 carry)  I was able to get my spin down to about 2200RPM and my ball speed was about 162MPH.  I was fitted for the aldila rouge white 130 M.S.I. X- jiStiff 70g with a 9 degree loft head.  Hitting center of club face I was consistently hitting 285+ carry and just shy of 310 total yards.  I was able to eek out a few more yards with the sub-zero and standard mavrik, but my miss-hits were shorter with both of those as compared to the max and my dispersion wasn't as tight.  My swing speed was within 1MPH on all 3 heads.

Im a huge taylormade fan and really really wanted the SIM or SIM Max when I came in,  but I couldn't hit it as far as any of the mavriks nor was my shot dispersion as tight and I had higher ball spin.

I also got fitted for a 3W, 5W and 3H in the Mavrik max.  I was able to try all three heads and both SIMS for each club.  To be honest im completely impressed with the Callaway Mavrik series.  I can't wait for my clubs to arrive as they were a custom order.

Edited by Hadi05
Spelling errors

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

• 1 month later...

Hit a Mav a few times last year but never the SZ. Bought a SIM Max D a few weeks ago and liked it, but it wasn't really any longer. So traded it in for a SZ 9*. Bumped it up 2* and liked it. Hit it again today and started launching some absolute bombs. Many in the 250's and 2 over 260. In the wet humid morning. Thats 10-20 yards longer than normal. Over the Ping g400LST, and over the SIM Max D. Longest regular drives in a long time. Should be fun if I play in the PM one of these days when dry. Funny cuz my first impressions weren't great, but now Im impressed. I had thought drivers were pretty well maxed out, but I guess not. And forgiving too. I guess the AI face does that. Im late to the party, but I still get to drink the SZ haha...

Dropped the SZ 1*, to 10* D , and its even better. Easy 20 yd pickup, never in a million years would I believe that possible.

Time to buy a SZ 3-wood now, I'm hooked...