TESTERS WANTED! ×

Patrick Reed Denials and PGA Tour Non Action

Majmike

I am extremely dismayed by the PGA Tour staff's handling of Patrick Reed's alleged not cheating sand bunker shot at Hero Challenge.  First, they believed his testimony that he wasn't aware of his action not once but twice.  In the court of law, video evidence holds far more weight than oral testimony.   Second, the penalty given does not meet the standard set by other tours and incidents over the years.  The Euro tour has suspended players for long term for egregious violations even after denials.  Local golfing association also suspend or bar players who are caught committing wilful rules violations especially when it is to gain an advantage of other players. This was not dropping the ball a few inches incorrectly like TW did at the Masters, it was a wilful action to gain advantage over his fellow  players for $$$$. Finally, by not taking strict action against Reed, what does it now say about this honorable game and it's great history of players calling penalty violations on themselves. What does this say to First Tee youth about cheating, if you say you didn't do it (even if we have video or eyewitness evidence) then we will let you play on.  Additionally, I think his caddy should also be suspended as he was witness to Reeds actions and did nothing.  Finally, I wrote the PGA Tour regarding their lack of action and my concerns on its impact to golf.  Guess what their response was........none.   It's there typical stick their head in the sand and hope it goes away.  

Driver : Callaway Epic 10.5 senior flex

FW.  Taylormade M3ti senior flex 3W

Callaway Epic sr. Flex 5W

Hybrid   Callaway GBB 3,5 Sr flex

Irons Mizuno 900 Hot metal sr flex 4 thru SW

Putter Callaway triple track mallet

The Patrick Reed situation at the Hero World Challenge isn't nearly as egregious as Sung Kang's cheating incident at the Quicken Loans National in 2018.  People just really don't like Patrick Reed, so they make a bigger deal out of it.  Not that Reed ever gives anyone a reason not to dislike him.

I think this summarizes it well... yup, time to move on 🙂.

See the source image

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

How is this even a story anymore. Reed per the rules officials committed an infraction. The rules officials heard his story, gave theirs and assessed the appropriate penalty. Reed accepted it and went about his business.

PGA has made their statement. Time to move on to everything else going on in golf 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, Middler said:

With millions of people homeless, hungry or persecuted around the world, I have a hard time getting “extremely dismayed” about Patrick Reed cheating in a golf tournament. First world problems. Perspective.

... Can I get an Amen? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, Middler said:

With millions of people homeless, hungry or persecuted around the world, I have a hard time getting “extremely dismayed” about Patrick Reed cheating in a golf tournament. First world problems. Perspective.

I get what you are saying, but this is always the go to response, when anyone doesn't want to deal with the issue at hand.  You paint a picture with a broad brush and make the issue at hand that the OP has wanted to discuss a non-issue and think that resolves the problem, or makes the problem go away.  And frankly, since you brought it up, even Jesus said that we'd always have the poor amongst us, so your broad brush issues are so large, that you could use them on pretty much anything you'd prefer not to discuss.

Look, I know this has been discussed in at least one other thread and we're probably beating a dead horse at this point, but I think the OP has a legitimate post.  He's also new here, so I give him the benefit of the doubt.  This is also a golf forum, and as such, we have a legitimate topic that  we should feel free to discuss.  If you personally don't feel like discussing it, then don't comment on it, but as it is, let's discuss this.

My personal opinion sort of goes along with what the media was saying about Patrick Reed after someone yelled out, "CHEATER" at the end of the Sentry Tournament of Champions.  Like the frustration that the OP has with the PGA Tour, I don't think this issue will go away, simply because the PGA Tour rolled out it's standard BS response to this incident.  Like the OP, I can see right though that BS, and know that the powers that be on the PGA Tour are giving me lip service and being downright dishonest with their press release.  I mean, come on, Patrick Reed and "Gentleman" in the same sentence are oxymorons.

And because the PGA Tour opted to take the high road and issue a bogus statement on this and consider the matter closed, people like the OP, and me, are not going to let this issue die until we feel the Patrick Reed has paid an appropriate penalty for his obviously intentional actions in trying to cheat in this game of golf.  Again, this is my opinion, and the video doesn't lie, unlike Patrick Reed and the PGA Tour.

And ultimately that is what we are dealing with here.  A very high profile player who is lying, and the organization he plays for, is lying to try and cover this up and make it go away.  Well, get your popcorn ready folks, because I think Patrick Reed is in for a VERY long year on the PGA Tour, where he'll be heckled and abused verbally in every tournament he enters.  People aren't going to take the high road, just because the PGA Tour tells them to.  People are going to speak their mind, and this will continue until the general public feels that justice was served.  And frankly, I think it's going to be a LONG time until we let this sleeping dog lie.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

17 hours ago, chisag said:

... Can I get an Amen? 

A very big Amen!  Oh and maybe Reed can convince Kuch to "shortchange" his caddie - that'll take the PR pressure off of him. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I see the differing opinions about Reed whether he cheated or not.  My intent in my original posting is that the video evidence is extremely damaging.  If you were at a US Open and gave the story that I didn't know I was doing this.. they most likely would have been DQd on the spot at the minimum.  Sports has no room, especially on pro level, for cheating as our youth look up to these athletes. They are roll models like it or not.  Now we see there was cheating in baseball.   At least the parties involved have shown regret and made apologies and have accepted the punishment which is severe.  Mr Reed has done none of that and he still insists that he didn't know he was brushing back the sand not once but twice.  In my opinion, that pig doesn't fly and he will now be forever thought by many to be a cheater and bring dishonor to this great game.  Even worse though, as mentioned, the PGA Tour staff just buried their heads in the sand.  

Driver : Callaway Epic 10.5 senior flex

FW.  Taylormade M3ti senior flex 3W

Callaway Epic sr. Flex 5W

Hybrid   Callaway GBB 3,5 Sr flex

Irons Mizuno 900 Hot metal sr flex 4 thru SW

Putter Callaway triple track mallet

Time to move on! 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

He sure went fast in the second round of the MGS draft... and I still want to trade for him 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Except Phil knowingly and willingly broke the rules at the US Open when he putted a moving ball, and yet he wasn't DQ'd.

The Reed situation should no longer be a story. He was assessed a penalty, which he accepted. That's it. Story's done.

All he did was offer his side of the story for context. The video evidence was not nearly as damaging as you are claiming it to be. It's one angle, directly behind, which does not give a clear indication of exactly where the sand he brushed back was in relation to his ball. His explanation was more than plausible. He accepted his penalty regardless of that. There's nothing else to be said about it.

I see the differing opinions about Reed whether he cheated or not.  My intent in my original posting is that the video evidence is extremely damaging.  If you were at a US Open and gave the story that I didn't know I was doing this.. they most likely would have been DQd on the spot at the minimum.  Sports has no room, especially on pro level, for cheating as our youth look up to these athletes. They are roll models like it or not.  Now we see there was cheating in baseball.   At least the parties involved have shown regret and made apologies and have accepted the punishment which is severe.  Mr Reed has done none of that and he still insists that he didn't know he was brushing back the sand not once but twice.  In my opinion, that pig doesn't fly and he will now be forever thought by many to be a cheater and bring dishonor to this great game.  Even worse though, as mentioned, the PGA Tour staff just buried their heads in the sand.  

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 5:24 PM, FrogginBullfish said:

Except Phil knowingly and willingly broke the rules at the US Open when he putted a moving ball, and yet he wasn't DQ'd.

Big difference there.  Phil immediately notified his marker and/or the rules official and indicated that he would take whatever penalty they deemed appropriate.  He didn't try to act like it didn't happen, he didn't know, etc.

There's absolutely zero possibility that Reed didn't know he was sweeping/shoveling sand out from behind his ball.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

I understand you're new to the forums, but this story has long since run its course. I've got nothing more to say about it than I already have in this thread.

Big difference there.  Phil immediately notified his marker and/or the rules official and indicated that he would take whatever penalty they deemed appropriate.  He didn't try to act like it didn't happen, he didn't know, etc.
There's absolutely zero possibility that Reed didn't know he was sweeping/shoveling sand out from behind his ball.

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I understand you're new to the forums, but this story has long since run its course. I've got nothing more to say about it than I already have in this thread.

New to this one, but I've been "foruming" for 20 years or so.  It's all good.  Just wanted to point out that the comparison was faulty.

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

Not a faulty comparison at all. But again, I'm done talking about Patrick Reed and a bit of sand. The story's over with and has been for a long time. Enjoy the forums.

New to this one, but I've been "foruming" for 20 years or so.  It's all good.  Just wanted to point out that the comparison was faulty.

How is this even a story anymore. Reed per the rules officials committed an infraction. The rules officials heard his story, gave theirs and assessed the appropriate penalty. Reed accepted it and went about his business.
PGA has made their statement. Time to move on to everything else going on in golf 
This is what I think about any time someone talks about DQs etc. The punishments are defined within the rules.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

32 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

This is what I think about any time someone talks about DQs etc. The punishments are defined within the rules.

Take Dead Aim

The huge difference between what Reed did an what happens most often is that Reed had no intention of owning up to his infraction.  Golf is supposed to a gentleman's game where players identify their infractions (as Phil Mickelson did in the US Open) and accept their penalty.  A rules official shouldn't need to initiate the discussion.

Reed's history is full of evidence that he can't be trusted, though, so it's really not surprising that he tried to get away with it.

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

9 hours ago, seeking70's said:

The huge difference between what Reed did an what happens most often is that Reed had no intention of owning up to his infraction.  Golf is supposed to a gentleman's game where players identify their infractions (as Phil Mickelson did in the US Open) and accept their penalty.  A rules official shouldn't need to initiate the discussion.

Reed's history is full of evidence that he can't be trusted, though, so it's really not surprising that he tried to get away with it.

He did own up. The rules officials had a conversation with him and allowed him to tell his side of the story and they have theirs. After the discussion he applied the appropriate penalty for the infraction.

The anti Reed or another bad guy group wants the bad guy or perceived bad guy to be punished more severely than anyone else and when they aren’t It’s an injustice. There are rules and penalties for the rules. They get applied evenly regardless of the golfer.

But in all seriousness this story was dead for almost 3 months and should have stayed that way. All of this has been hashed out in this thread and several others. It’s time to move on

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

He did own up. The rules officials had a conversation with him and allowed him to tell his side of the story and they have theirs. After the discussion he applied the appropriate penalty for the infraction.

The anti Reed or another bad guy group wants the bad guy or perceived bad guy to be punished more severely than anyone else and when they aren’t It’s an injustice. There are rules and penalties for the rules. They get applied evenly regardless of the golfer.

But in all seriousness this story was dead for almost 3 months and should have stayed that way. All of this has been hashed out in this thread and several others. It’s time to move on

I'll take that as "welcome to MGS"... 🙂

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

I'll take that as "welcome to MGS"...

Unlike a number of forums out there, this is a pretty friendly and welcoming group that values everyone's opinions. However, at times there are threads that have run their course and I think that's just the inference[mention=65848]RIckyBobby_PR[/mention] was making

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

17 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Unlike a number of forums out there, this is a pretty friendly and welcoming group that values everyone's opinions. However, at times there are threads that have run their course and I think that's just the inference[mention=65848]RIckyBobby_PR[/mention] was making

Or as we say down South " beating an already dead Donkey"

Disclaimer; No real Donkey was beaten or harmed in the making of this post

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Or as we say down South " beating an already dead Donkey"

😂That's something I'd expect @ole gray to say 😂

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

10 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

😂That's something I'd expect @ole gray to say 😂

LOL Well after all we are "Neighbors" 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Sometimes old threads need to be locked. I think this is one of them

Sometimes old threads need to be locked. I think this is one of them

Couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Same here. Let's petition the mod's to close this out.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I am continually fascinated at how people keep coming back to this.  Yet, you will never hear any of them say anything about Billy Mayfair, Vijay Singh, Gary Player, Phil Mickelson or Mark O'Meara.  All of whom, were "rules adjacent" at one point or another in their careers.

Reed's incident was dealt with appropriately.  He was assessed a two shot penalty.  Let it the f**k go!!!!!