Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Super lite clubs

I've had a dilemma for some time. How lite is too lite and when does it start to affect distance? I'm using C range swing weight clubs and looking for feedback on using ultra low compression balls to compensate for smash factor. I'm a little guy with a very quick tempo. heavy clubs have just never felt right. Cheers. 

Edited by Rflores91

Driver: :cobra-small:F9 w/Hzrdous smoke black

3wood: :callaway-small: Epic 13.5* w/ smoke blue

4wood: :callaway-small: Xr 17*  

3Hybrid: :callaway-small: Xr 19*

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex 16 (4 - A)

wedges::vokey-small: SM7 52,54

Putter: :cameron-small: fastback,  SWAG Savage Too

@rogerfloresart on instagram

8 hours ago, Rflores91 said:

I've had a dilemma for some time. How lite is too lite and when does it start to affect distance? I'm using C range swing weight clubs and looking for feedback on using ultra low compression balls to compensate for smash factor. I'm a little guy with a very quick tempo. heavy clubs have just never felt right. Cheers. 

The first questions is  how well you can control the lighter club and hit the sweetspot on the club.   You also need to look at total weight and swingweight (balance) as they impact how consistently you can swing.   If you can swing consistently,  probably not much impact.   I would just use regular golf balls and not switch to ultra low compression balls as they shouldn't influence distance.  Ideally you should get on a launch monitor of some kind and see how performance varies. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks! I think your right. As consistency goes My driver works great with a superlight shaft. Struggle a bit with 3wood, I can get a bit quick.  I hit wilson duosoft, callaway supersoft and proV1 yesterday. Mixed results, Funny, after I hit the "soft" balls the pro v felt like a rock, but...into the wind it went further. With the wind there was not much difference. But the soft balls did feel good at impact. Putting all felt good. Callaway had a matt finish. I don't know if I'm convinced that that doesn't have some effect on properties of ball flight. More testing today!

There are many current teachers and fitters who say that the lighter you can tolerate (feel the clubhead) the better off you are.  I'm one who has always preferred a lighter weight shaft in my irons (not so much in my other clubs.)  In a recent driver fitting I was put in an ultra light shaft (despite picking up clubhead speed from my last fitting.)  There was never a mention of a "lower compression ball" or "softer ball" in that fitting session nor whenever I've been fit for irons.  I'm a smaller, older guy - I've remained in the Pro VIx type ball since I can remember - that's always the recommendation of every fitter I've ever gone to.

I think you're on to something - if you can center that lighter club, go for it.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks Rev! I love hearing you mention teachers and fitters are saying swing as light as you can. I've heard swing as heavy as you can mostly all my life. It really proves how difficult it is to quantify what equipment does for the golfer. Ultimately I know equipment is by itself not gonna make my game better.  I've been experimenting with clubs with changeable weights as well. Going into the b range. Feels great but distance suffers. Taking the club back slow is essential. My real theory is making the clubs feel to me the way average weight clubs feel to bigger guys could create some ease and consistency. Then again...I might just have to bulk up 17 pounds like DeChambeau and just tell everyone "I'm hitting it too far now." then challenge Koepka to a driving challenge.