TESTERS WANTED! ×

Unicorns, Mermaids and P790 Fliers

chisag

Soap Box Alert!!!

... Oh boy, start a rumor and it is amazing how many join in. I have over 250 rounds in with my P790's and have yet to experience the "mythical fliers" that so many on other forums complain about. Sure, I have had some fliers from the rough, but not off the tee or from a clean lie in the fairway. Does anyone think the engineers at TaylorMade said "Wow, we created a distance iron that is longer than any other players iron we have ever made. Only problem is out of nowhere they can fly 15-20 yds farther than a normal shot. So what he heck, let's just throw them out there and let the golfers deal with the fliers that can derail their round." 

... The above said, I don't doubt some with explosive speed can experience a 215yd  7 iron when 200 is their normal P790 7 iron distance. I certainly have had 175yd and 160yd  P790 7 irons and attribute those to perfect contact with as close to a perfect swing as I can make with the former, poor contact and a bad swing with the later. Normally I can expect a very predictable 170yds with a + or - 3 yds. For those high swing speed players it can also be attributed to a different shaft lean or some flash speed or both on any given shot. It is also possible that hitting the ball a little high on the face with that kind of speed might result in reduced spin and added distance. But these are not what I would call normal shots or normal swings. If you are hitting your 7 iron 200yds you probably have no business playing a distance iron anyway. P760's would be a better fit. And speaking of P760's with foam filled hollow heads in the 7-3 irons, I am amazed at how many claim they experienced fliers with 790's but not 760's. I own both and while the mid/long iron 790's are a little longer the 760's are not far behind in distance. More than a few guys on tour are playing P790 long irons and would certainly not risk a flier in a tournament. Long hitting Sung Hyun Park with a 105mph driver swing speed plays 760 in pw-5 and has a P790 4 iron in her bag. So I will keep my eyes open for the Unicorns and Mermaids but quite honestly don't expect to see either. 😜 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I would agree. I played them for a year and the "fliers" I got were more perfect swings than the club itself. And of those there were probably 3-5 total. What I did find was the I had trouble knocking them down, for me they seemed to go the same distance no matter what I tried. Of course this is a talent problem and not a club problem. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I have not hit either but our head pro at my club plays the 760s and his biggest knock on them is the lack of consistent distance. I have played the Titleist TMBs for the past few years and have never had an issue with inconsistent distances or catching a flier that was not due to lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

On 1/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, chisag said:

Soap Box Alert!!!

... Oh boy, start a rumor and it is amazing how many join in. I have over 250 rounds in with my P790's and have yet to experience the "mythical fliers" that so many on other forums complain about. Sure, I have had some fliers from the rough, but not off the tee or from a clean lie in the fairway. Does anyone think the engineers at TaylorMade said "Wow, we created a distance iron that is longer than any other players iron we have ever made. Only problem is out of nowhere they can fly 15-20 yds farther than a normal shot. So what he heck, let's just throw them out there and let the golfers deal with the fliers that can derail their round." 

... The above said, I don't doubt some with explosive speed can experience a 215yd  7 iron when 200 is their normal P790 7 iron distance. I certainly have had 175yd and 160yd  P790 7 irons and attribute those to perfect contact with as close to a perfect swing as I can make with the former, poor contact and a bad swing with the later. Normally I can expect a very predictable 170yds with a + or - 3 yds. For those high swing speed players it can also be attributed to a different shaft lean or some flash speed or both on any given shot. It is also possible that hitting the ball a little high on the face with that kind of speed might result in reduced spin and added distance. But these are not what I would call normal shots or normal swings. If you are hitting your 7 iron 200yds you probably have no business playing a distance iron anyway. P760's would be a better fit. And speaking of P760's with foam filled hollow heads in the 7-3 irons, I am amazed at how many claim they experienced fliers with 790's but not 760's. I own both and while the mid/long iron 790's are a little longer the 760's are not far behind in distance. More than a few guys on tour are playing P790 long irons and would certainly not risk a flier in a tournament. Long hitting Sung Hyun Park with a 105mph driver swing speed plays 760 in pw-5 and has a P790 4 iron in her bag. So I will keep my eyes open for the Unicorns and Mermaids but quite honestly don't expect to see either. 😜 

I find this subject rather interesting...

On one hand, we have a group seeing distance variability and attributing it to hot spots.  The other hand, distance variability attributed to contact quality.

What I find interesting, while both sides are certain of their view, we don't really *know* the answer.  The evidence on all sides is anecdotal. 

My opinion, which may well be pointless, we won't be certain without robot testing.  <shrug>

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

... Ed, don't you think TaylorMade did extensive robot testing? Would they honestly release an iron they knew flew inconsistent distances or an extra 10 yds let alone claims of 20+ yards out of nowhere and would they become the most popular irons TM has ever made if they did? You just never hear anyone say their new driver/fw/hybrid produces drives around 275 but every now and then one flies over 300+.  And I would not call it "sides" but a select few on another forum that drink the koolaid then repeat what they have read or worse, actually believe it because others have said it. I have played with more than a few really good players that have never experienced fliers from good lies using these irons. 

... The only reason I posted this was these kinds of irons are so good for such a wide range of players, I hate to see anyone scared off because of a few posters ruining it for others. To be sure P790's, 0311's, i1500's and MP-20 HMB's are not for everyone, especially those with speed to spare or excellent ball strikers that play on hard fast greens and need the spin. But the combination of a Players iron and a GI iron into one iron that can add distance to your mid and long irons is a category that fits a pretty big audience. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

21 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I find this subject rather interesting...

On one hand, we have a group seeing distance variability and attributing it to hot spots.  The other hand, distance variability attributed to contact quality.

What I find interesting, while both sides are certain of their view, we don't really *know* the answer.  The evidence on all sides is anecdotal. 

My opinion, which may well be pointless, we won't be certain without robot testing.  <shrug>

The Apex cf16 were known for this including from those who strike center regularly 

there are some who have seen it with the original p790 but from my reading it’s been more from the person who doesn’t have consistent strike patterns or has a consistent strike that’s off center or thin and then gets their swing to lineup and flush it.

imo the hollow body irons don’t have this issue whether it’s the p790s, i500, tmb or Pxg.

in my reading the CF19’s have fixed this issue in that line

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1