TESTERS WANTED! ×

How to play The Cradle at Pinehurst?

skrupa15

I'm hoping to get some insight from any spies out there who have played the Cradle at Pinehurst.  In May I"ll be traveling with a group of 8 players for a week long trip to the Pinehurst area.  This will be our third visit to Pinehurst and while we aren't scheduled to play of the big courses at the resort, I thought I might try and get a tee time for the Cradle for one of the afternoon or early evenings we have free.  We'll be staying in a pair of condos within walking distance of the club house and are flexible on what time/which days we can play.  Aside from knowing that I need to make a tee time, and can only make tee times for the Cradle 24 hours in advance since we're not staying at the resort, is there anything else I should know?  Any tips from spies that have played it?  It says that replays are free, but do you need a tee time for subsequent times you play it?  Thanks guys.

Sean K.

Driver: :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha, 10.5o, -1"
Wood: :srixon-small: Z-F85, 3W, 15o
Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1, 19o
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2.0 55o, 60o
Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Tour Impact No. 3
Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star

2017 Vice Pro Forum Review
2019 Tommy Armour Tour Impact No.3 Forum Review

4 hours ago, skrupa15 said:

I'm hoping to get some insight from any spies out there who have played the Cradle at Pinehurst.  In May I"ll be traveling with a group of 8 players for a week long trip to the Pinehurst area.  This will be our third visit to Pinehurst and while we aren't scheduled to play of the big courses at the resort, I thought I might try and get a tee time for the Cradle for one of the afternoon or early evenings we have free.  We'll be staying in a pair of condos within walking distance of the club house and are flexible on what time/which days we can play.  Aside from knowing that I need to make a tee time, and can only make tee times for the Cradle 24 hours in advance since we're not staying at the resort, is there anything else I should know?  Any tips from spies that have played it?  It says that replays are free, but do you need a tee time for subsequent times you play it?  Thanks guys.

No, you don't really need to make a tee time.  The Cradle is a fun little course where you will only need a wedge and putter, maybe a PW depending on how long you hit your clubs.  It is not as crowded as you may think.  You can go out anytime and play it, just go into the main clubhouse and tell them you want to play it and off you go.  They have a drink station out there as well but bring your cash because it is very expensive.  You will have fun though!  What courses are you playing while there?  I have been going every year for the past 15 years and love so many courses down there.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Thanks ballplayer.  I got the sense that it was pretty casual (but still expensive).  Was looking for someone to confirm exactly that.

We'll play Seven Lakes and Tobacco Road; which we always play while we're down there.  This year we added Southern Pines GC to the rotation as well and will add one or two more courses via golf now if we see a good deal.  

Sean K.

Driver: :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha, 10.5o, -1"
Wood: :srixon-small: Z-F85, 3W, 15o
Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1, 19o
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2.0 55o, 60o
Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Tour Impact No. 3
Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star

2017 Vice Pro Forum Review
2019 Tommy Armour Tour Impact No.3 Forum Review

We had our management team meeting at Pinehurst back in June, and we played The Cradle as a team-building event, because it's more of a playground than a golf course.  You can get around with nothing but a putter (except maybe on #3) if you feel like it.  Definitely use putter off the tee on #5; my whole group did, and I lipped out for a 1.  I only played it once - a bunch of us booked it over to #9 afterward and played there.  But we all had a blast.  It's the most fun you can have under 800 yards.  

Oh, and check out the musical rocks (a.k.a. speakers).  Too cool.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 1/15/2020 at 3:46 PM, skrupa15 said:

Thanks ballplayer.  I got the sense that it was pretty casual (but still expensive).  Was looking for someone to confirm exactly that.

We'll play Seven Lakes and Tobacco Road; which we always play while we're down there.  This year we added Southern Pines GC to the rotation as well and will add one or two more courses via golf now if we see a good deal.  

I would recommend playing Dormie Club and Mid South as well.  They are great courses!!!  Dormie is a Crenshaw course and it has some pretty unique holes on it.  Mid South is just a nice layout all around.  Have fun down there!!!!

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

21 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I would recommend playing Dormie Club and Mid South as well.  They are great courses!!!  Dormie is a Crenshaw course and it has some pretty unique holes on it.  Mid South is just a nice layout all around.  Have fun down there!!!!

Dormie began 2020 as an exclusive, private club.  A part of The Dormie Network of national private membership clubs.

https://www.dormienetwork.com/dormieclub/

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

Dormie began 2020 as an exclusive, private club.  A part of The Dormie Network of national private membership clubs.

Aww man, that was one of my favorites down there!  I've played it half a dozen times and enjoyed every round.  Too bad!

On 1/19/2020 at 3:57 PM, Bosox04 said:

We were down at Pinehurst a couple days ago just to eat lunch, and hang out. That whole area with the Cradle and the putting course looked pretty cool. I believe I could have a great time at Pinehurst, and never leave the clubhouse area.

The practice putting green is MASSIVE!!!  We always play a mini tournament down there on that putting green and it ALWAYS kills us when we go play normal golf due to the fact that we make it to where we are putting across the entire green at some of the holes. 

11 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Aww man, that was one of my favorites down there!  I've played it half a dozen times and enjoyed every round.  Too bad!

I've really enjoyed it the handful of times I have played it as well.  In my mind, that's perfect golf.  No frills, fluff or filler, just great golf plain and simple!

18 hours ago, sixcat said:

11 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Based on a conversation I had with the pro shop staff at Dormie at Thanksgiving, you'll still be able to book and play Dormie through a few booking agencies.  I was told that Talamore Golf was one of them, I don't know how many others will be able to do it.  Talamore can also book you at MidSouth, and I agree with @ballplayer002003, MidSouth is one of the better courses in the area.  I admit to being biased, owning my condo at Talamore gives me membership to both Talamore and MidSouth.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

9 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Based on a conversation I had with the pro shop staff at Dormie at Thanksgiving, you'll still be able to book and play Dormie through a few booking agencies.  I was told that Talamore Golf was one of them, I don't know how many others will be able to do it.  Talamore can also book you at MidSouth, and I agree with @ballplayer002003, MidSouth is one of the better courses in the area.  I admit to being biased, owning my condo at Talamore gives me membership to both Talamore and MidSouth.

That's fantastic news since we always book with Talamore!  PS, I am still waiting for a unit to come up for sale! #DaveP043 we can then be neighbors a few times a year maybe.  haha

• 3 weeks later...

I would highly recommend Mid Pines and Pine Needles. Excellent Courses

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Daniel Hoover said:

I heard the re-play was free at the Cradle....anyone give details on that and if that is true.  Thanks

Yes, once you pay to play the Cradle, you can play it over and over that same day at no additional cost. 

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Yes, once you pay to play the Cradle, you can play it over and over that same day at no additional cost. 

I'm overdue for a Pinehurst fix, next time your group plans on going, let me know if you have a spot open! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 6/10/2020 at 3:07 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'm overdue for a Pinehurst fix, next time your group plans on going, let me know if you have a spot open! 

Absolutely!!!  This was the first year we took off, not due to Covid.  We just decided to do a change of scenery.  It's so hard to beat the quality and hospitality of Pinehurst and the surrounding area courses!