Popeye64

TM SIM vs Maltby KE4 TC

Maltby have a sneaky release of thier new head and usually dont do releases till late spring/summer. So it caught me a bit off guard. This one has a cast ti body of 8-1-1 and a face of 6-4 ti. They brought back an adjustable hosel and have thier signature single weight port.

The new SIM driver arrived at the same time so a shootout ensued

The SIM was a 9.0 with the Hzrdus Green S at 46", weight slightly heel side. KE4 TC had the Xcaliber Superlite55 S tipped an inch at 45". I also had along an M5 9.0 and an ISO-T 10.5.

Right away the M5 was knocked out as it was out to the right and a slight but shorter but in a tight pattern. No doubt the distance was hampered by the fade. The ISO-T is not the one I have setup for myself but it was a good representation. This one spins in the 3200 rpm area and though it matched ball speed of 155 the spin kills the distance. But it is very straight.

It was obvious this was between the KE4 and the SIM.

The first chart shows how they stacked up. The KE4 carry numbers had a pair of 250 carries that hurt its numbers but overall it more than held its own. It bettered the ball speed yet was slower in club head speed. Had much better spin and was as consistent. Seeing this really intrigued me into wanting to get a matching shaft comparison. As the two drivers sit I could have played either one.

Feel wise a slight nod goes to the SIM. it has a bit softer feel but not by a lot. Same goes for the sound,, it's just slightly softer. Both feel and sound with nearly any TM these days is a benchmark. The SIM is right up there.. with the KE4 its NOT a huge difference but it is there. Just a bit firmer and louder,, just a bit. The construction of the two is quite different and the carbon crown of the SIM plays a big role.

So next I put a matching Xcaliber Superlite55 S tipped an inch in the SIM.

Both are 45" long and matching grips.

This was two days later and didnt quite have my swing from the previous test but it was repeatable.

I hit the SIM first for 5 and switched. Viewed the data and repeated the 5 and 5.

This test showed the KE4 to edge out the SIM again but this time it was a little more clear. There is not a huge difference but it is there in the numbers. Spin is still far better. Ball speed is nearly the same yet the SIM is still faster. The aero on the head is REAL. you can swing the SIM faster yet it was not showing the leap expected in ball speed. Smash factor reflects that as well.

For the heck of it I repeated a 3 and 3 test on the E6 software and had the same results. The KE4 beat it out.

As far as dispersion goes they were pretty equal. With the KE4 I can take the right side of the fairway out of play. With the SIM I need to aim down the middle. My misses were right and left but all still well in play. The KE4 was steadily left. not in a hooky sort of way, just left. Which for me is new. Once I get outside I'll play with the settings where I'm better able to see its actual flight.

Now,,,,, I have $210 into the build of the KE4 TC. The SIM is $549. I'm not knocking the SIM as I really did enjoy the driver and certainly could play it, (I still could have adjusted setting with the SIM, as well the KE4), but there is no way I can justify over twice the cost. Maltby has a fantastic release with the top of the KE4 line up. I really look forward to spending more time with it getting it dialed in. 20200114_143552.jpg20200114_140426.jpg20200116_135341.jpg20200116_140318.jpg20200116_140840.jpg20200116_141108.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I could easily play an entire bag of Maltby .... I think they are one of the most underrated clubs.

Thanks for the great info and comparison!

• Like 6

I could easily play an entire bag of Maltby .... I think they are one of the most underrated clubs.
Thanks for the great info and comparison!
I would put the Maltby line of clubs up against any OEM in any category and know you would not find a better product. Cosmetics, quality, performance and best of all at a minimum half the price.
Yet so many people dont even know about thier products.

• Like 4

Great post. This is why we constantly tell people to try clubs and see what works.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 1/17/2020 at 9:38 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Thanks for the great info

Second that! Nice to see Maltby has another "legit" club 👍

• Like 1

I wish we could get Maltby in the Most wanted testing that would be a really big eye opener for some. I just got a demo of several irons and I'm really excited to test and play with them.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Great review! I would also love to see more of your thoughts on the XCaliber shafts. 

I see Maltby also has their new wedges on the Golfworks site, not yet shipping though. They look pretty sharp as well.

• Like 1

Great review! I would also love to see more of your thoughts on the XCaliber shafts. 
I see Maltby also has their new wedges on the Golfworks site, not yet shipping though. They look pretty sharp as well.
Xcaliber is about to shock the shaft world with a new iron shaft design that is just a wow shaft for everyone that hits it. Feel is outstanding and the way it loads and releases is perfect. He is going to drop that shaft this week
As for the rest of his line up. There is a shaft that fits just about everyone. Cost wise per performance,, you will not beat them.
If you look at the pictures you will see that the Superlite55 maintained the exact same ratio of performance when compared to the Hzrdus Green. My swingspeed was lower with both shafts the second test day but the data was nearly identical just lower for that test.
Xcaliber shafts have made a comeback over the last year. It's been a struggle but one thing is always present. Top quality gear at a more than a fair price. If he threw a $300 price tag on some of his shafts people might take notice. But shafts dont cost $300 or more to make. It's just wildly inflated pricing. Just like OEM heads.

As for the newest Maltby wedges I cant wait to try out the new beveled sole. Sort of a V sole for the wedges that has been so amazing on the Maltbys and the Srixons in iron sets. I dont think those get released for a month or two.

As for the newest Maltby wedges I cant wait to try out the new beveled sole. Sort of a V sole for the wedges that has been so amazing on the Maltbys and the Srixons in iron sets. I dont think those get released for a month or two.

I presume were talking about the TSW wedges correct? I'm pulling the trigger on a set of 3 as soon as they're released! 50° 54° 58°. I already know they'll strongly compete with any wedge on the market and for less than the price of 1 Vokey, I can get a whole set.. it's a no contest win. Some of the best looking in the market IMO.

Another fun fact about playing Maltbys is they have everything that a premium club has, including their own unique designs and always get double takes, questions, and compliments on the course.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I presume were talking about the TSW wedges correct? I'm pulling the trigger on a set of 3 as soon as they're released! 50° 54° 58°. I already know they'll strongly compete with any wedge on the market and for less than the price of 1 Vokey, I can get a whole set.. it's a no contest win. Some of the best looking in the market IMO.

Another fun fact about playing Maltbys is they have everything that a premium club has, including their own unique designs and always get double takes, questions, and compliments on the course.

Yup! The TSWs look really sharp. I'm actually really happy with my Diamond Tour clones that I paid $10/each for, otherwise I'd considered hopping on a 52/56/60 set. The sole design looks fantastic.

• Like 1

I saw the new TSW on the site. I want to try my hand at how a 60* wedge goes and wanted to test and get used to it before these actually get released so i grabbed a Tour MG. Also never had any DBM coated clubs so curious to test that out as well.

I saw the new TSW on the site. I want to try my hand at how a 60* wedge goes and wanted to test and get used to it before these actually get released so i grabbed a Tour MG. Also never had any DBM coated clubs so curious to test that out as well.
The DBM finish will not disappoint. Going on 3 years with my DBM irons and the face at most has worn to a dark graphite color.

3 hours ago, pozzit said:

I'll second @azstu324's DBM recommendation. I have two of the M+ wedges with that finish and they look really great for how much I used them last year. 

The DBM finish will not disappoint. Going on 3 years with my DBM irons and the face at most has worn to a dark graphite color.

The DBM finish is really tough plus the grooves stay sharper for two reasons. They are not coated so it's as machined. Also being a harder metal after the process it lasts longer. Cleaning them with WD 40 makes them look new.

Only thing with the MG Tour is the aggressive leading edge. They will eat some real estate if you are a digger. The new TSW will be light years friendlier on turf.

• Like 1

@azstu324 @edingc  @Popeye64 Thanks for all the feedback I'm intrigued to get it on some grass but unfortunately that will take some time with this weather. If they are not the most turf friendly then my course may be angry at me,. I don't expect to be doing too much full swings with it so I'm usually not that much of a digger on partials. 

Now back to the driver side of conversation. How does this compare for spin and forgiveness. Seems like your Spin loft is higher then Sim but the spin is actually lower. Was this the SIM or SIM Max? I have heard the standard SIM is the low spin option.

[mention=76102]azstu324[/mention] [mention=84579]edingc[/mention]  [mention=75887]Popeye64[/mention] Thanks for all the feedback I'm intrigued to get it on some grass but unfortunately that will take some time with this weather. If they are not the most turf friendly then my course may be angry at me,. I don't expect to be doing too much full swings with it so I'm usually not that much of a digger on partials. 
Now back to the driver side of conversation. How does this compare for spin and forgiveness. Seems like your Spin loft is higher then Sim but the spin is actually lower. Was this the SIM or SIM Max? I have heard the standard SIM is the low spin option.
This was the SIM model. I'm personally fighting a very negative AOA these days so I need a driver that spins less. The KE4 is truly a low spin option.
My data over two completely different sessions were near identical so the low spin was not a fluke.

Oh this has peaked my interest...

*checks golfworks for LH options*

*sees neither DBM irons nor KE4 is available in lefty*

parks and rec computer GIF

F.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Oh this has peaked my interest...
*checks golfworks for LH options*
*sees neither DBM irons nor KE4 is available in lefty*
giphy.gif?cid=790b76114f1f0634faacbc887af664a1b456e8bb66058f5e&rid=giphy.gif

F.
So tough to get quality lefty gear from the component market. Hard to justify the cost of molds for the limited demand.

So tough to get quality lefty gear from the component market. Hard to justify the cost of molds for the limited demand.

You might find them here..
Oh did I just date myself?.. flanders-leftorium.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1