Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TM SIM vs Maltby KE4 TC

Popeye64

I really might have to give the KE4 a try I have been hitting the KE4 2 Utility iron and I have really like it and although it is quite chunky it does feel decent. Driver is definitely a weak spot of mine. Have you compared it with any other drivers? What driver do you think it compares closest to?
I've compared it to the ISO-T and it certainly more forgiving. It seems to launch higher as well yet keeps spin down. I also did an informal against a Titlist TS2 loves the feel of the titleist but I got better numbers on the KE4. I'm kind of scratching my head on what to compare it to. It's kind of unique. Fins are sort of Ping. The wrap around crown is like a TM. Feel might be like a Callaway. Nothing about it makes it jump out at you in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Does it use the sleeve of any other manufacturer? I would be curious to try with different shafts.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Does it use the sleeve of any other manufacturer? I would be curious to try with different shafts.
I'm picking up a Tensi Blue, I have three other. Xcaliber shafts and a Paderson. I need a few more adapters though. The adapters are exclusive to Maltby.

Spent some time in the sim and did more working on the swing than anything but also was swapping in and out of some shafts. Swing had a lot of funk in it early and the be fair the ISO-T didnt get enough time and was quickly put aside. In the graph the top spot was the KE4 with an Xcaliber PRO TSL in TS which is a sub 50 g shaft but built like a diamana white board.
The other two were two different sessions of the same Superlite55. The TSL was a super low spin setup. My carry distances seemed to be way off and when I switched simulators they were right where I expected to see them along with overall distances. On this graph the overall distances seemed right. The drop in spin was drastic. Along with a much lower launch. I'm waiting on other adapters to really have a shaft shootout. But a quick look has the TSL as a great setup.
On the other simulator the carry distances were just shy of 280 with 293-5 overall. With matching spin numbers and low 160 ball speed. When I went to the second sim my swing was also much better. Hope to have the shootout Saturday if the adapters show up. 20200212_190412.jpg

Putting away the ISO-T? 
Spent some time with both the KE4 and the ISO-T. I like that the KE4 seems to keep my fade miss from showing up when I'm out on the toe side. Ball speed may be just a touch higher with the KE4. About 10 balls a piece and the KE4 average was just a bit higher but the ISO-T trumped it on a session long. But the push right miss shows up with the ISO-T more. ISO-T has a better feel to it, no mistaking that.

Again today I had some gaps in simulator appointments so I did a very long head to head with the KE4 and the ISO-T.
Other than a slight fade bias to the ISO-T the performance is negligible.
Though the KE4 is setup as an ultralight ball speed and launch are extremely close. I'm really not sure I can make a clear choice between the two. Here are two back to back shots. First picture is of the ISO-T. Next of course is the KE4 and a picture of the range session spread. You will see how consistent the distances were. Yes there is some dispersion but this was just letting the two of them rip. Just about everyone would be in play. 20200215_155120.jpg20200215_155212.jpg20200215_155954.jpg

So now we are entering big boy territory. A friend of mine is a Taylor Made pro and he can hit near 120 in his swing speed. I put together a brand new KE4 head with the Tensi Blue S tipped and inch. 45" long set to standard loft.
Now he owns the simulator and had seen his fair share of numbers from the flight scope. These numbers eclipse what he has seen before.
Six swings, and all in ridiculously long territory. All were very playable. He said if he did not have a contract that he would game this club right away. 338 yards and he wasnt even warmed up. It was shocking to see what he could do with this driver.

After this bomb show I took that club out on my local course. Temps were 40-45 and the sun was out so I played 18. What I saw was straight as an arrow flight that just kept on going. Ball after ball was just a wow type of flight. One of my playing partners has been bombing past me the past few years and now we were dead even but I was in the middle of the fairway and he was in the weeds. I hit a couple of drives that would qualify for course long drives for me.
On 17 I hit a drive and damn near drove into the group in front of us. The guys at the next tee remarked they have never seen a ball hit there.
THIS IS A LEGIT DRIVER HEAD. This has me more excited that the TS iron launch. I implore you guys to check out this head. 20200217_181259.jpg20200217_181241.jpg

• 6 months later...

@Popeye64

Are you still playing this head. Def has me interested. I have a neg AoA so the low spin sounds awesome. How's the head holding up?

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

[mention=75887]Popeye64[/mention]
Are you still playing this head. Def has me interested. I have a neg AoA so the low spin sounds awesome. How's the head holding up?
The head hold up very well in the looks department. Shows almost no signs of wear.
I have two KE4 heads and this week they will be driver shaft test mules. I have 8 shafts to test with multiple testers.
Though I do own a Sim head for testing the KE4 heads still out produce the Sim in ballspeed. Not a huge amount but its 2 or 3 mph on a regular basis.
Like ive said before its a serious head that is well, well worth the money.
Depending on what shaft im working with determines what head I play. I prefer the KE4 on sound and feel. A little more audible sound and a softer crushed it feel.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
On 1/20/2020 at 9:31 AM, Popeye64 said:

This was the SIM model. I'm personally fighting a very negative AOA these days so I need a driver that spins less. The KE4 is truly a low spin option.
My data over two completely different sessions were near identical so the low spin was not a fluke.

I've been thinking about the Ping G400 LST - what Maltby driver would fall into the lowest spin category? 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I've been thinking about the Ping G400 LST - what Maltby driver would fall into the lowest spin category? 
The ISO-T in a 9.5 has proven on the simulator to be the lowest spinning head. But its not as forgiving as the KE4 TC. The KE4 has shown to spin a little more but has the ability to be hit all over the face.
I have hit some monster drives with the ISO-T but I've gotta be in a groove. Hitting the ISO-T pure also gives that great crushed it feel. Not so great hits sound bad and feel just as bad. I would qualify the ISO-T to be a better players head. It also has a slight fade bias.
KE4 is a very solid option. The weight port and the adjustable hosel is enough to be a better gamer club.

18 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

The ISO-T in a 9.5 has proven on the simulator to be the lowest spinning head. But its not as forgiving as the KE4 TC. The KE4 has shown to spin a little more but has the ability to be hit all over the face.
I have hit some monster drives with the ISO-T but I've gotta be in a groove. Hitting the ISO-T pure also gives that great crushed it feel. Not so great hits sound bad and feel just as bad. I would qualify the ISO-T to be a better players head. It also has a slight fade bias.
KE4 is a very solid option. The weight port and the adjustable hosel is enough to be a better gamer club.

The way you described the Iso-T it sounds allot like the TM SLDR reviews?

I'm gaming the Callaway XR16 9.0° and I struggle with spin being too high and not consistently finding the center. In general, the Callaway clubs feel lighter to me. There are two other lower spinning options like the Pro and Sub Zero but I am not keen on the light feel.

I was/am hoping the Ping 400 LST would be the magic club. I hit the G400 Max and Std models when they came out but the spin rates were still too high.

That's when I switched to the Titleist AVX and ProV1x or TP5x for my longest drives over 300 yards. The AVX is an instant extra 20 yards for me. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg