Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Anyone going to the PGA Show next week?

MmmmmmBuddy

We are making the trek all the way from rainy Oregon to the Show.  My new owner wants to go the the NGCOA Business Conference that is held in conjunction with the Merchandise show. I finagled him into thinking that it would be good for the management team to make the trip, so we are all going!!  As things stand now, I am planning on being at the Demo Day on Tuesday from 1-5. I wanted to go from 9-1, but there are a few seminars that I need to attend that are conflicting.  Merchandise Show Wed am, Thurs am and Fri am, then leave for home on Sat at 0:dark thirty. 

If you are planning on making the trip, let me know... Always ready to meet fellow Spies....

N. 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

... Unfortunately while my herniated disc is doing much better, I am still not healed enough to fly let alone swing a club on Demo Day. Hitting all the clubs before talking to the Engineers and Marketing VP's at the actual show for reviews is the entire reason for my trip to the Show. Obviously I am very bummed about missing it. That said, you will love Demo Day. Just be prepared for long lines in the afternoon and enjoy all the clubs and shafts! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Like Chisag, I'm not going this year, a bit bummed about it.  But my work schedule this week and next just didnt' permit it.   Enjoy Demo Day, it will be a blast, but just be prepared for a really long wait to hit the Mavrik and probably Cobra.   With TM not being there again this year, they will most likely attract the largest crowd.

I'd be interested in seeing any pics you can get and thoughts of the Titleist T400.  To see what it's all about.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

We are making the trek all the way from rainy Oregon to the Show.  My new owner wants to go the the NGCOA Business Conference that is held in conjunction with the Merchandise show. I finagled him into thinking that it would be good for the management team to make the trip, so we are all going!!  As things stand now, I am planning on being at the Demo Day on Tuesday from 1-5. I wanted to go from 9-1, but there are a few seminars that I need to attend that are conflicting.  Merchandise Show Wed am, Thurs am and Fri am, then leave for home on Sat at 0:dark thirty. 

If you are planning on making the trip, let me know... Always ready to meet fellow Spies....

N. 

Feedback after would be great - especially on the stuff we normally don't see or that doesn't get reported on. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

6 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Like Chisag, I'm not going this year, a bit bummed about it.  But my work schedule this week and next just didnt' permit it.   Enjoy Demo Day, it will be a blast, but just be prepared for a really long wait to hit the Mavrik and probably Cobra.   With TM not being there again this year, they will most likely attract the largest crowd.

I'd be interested in seeing any pics you can get and thoughts of the Titleist T400.  To see what it's all about.

I have no interest in standing in any line to hit any club that I can hit at my local shop the next week. My primary consideration will be to see anything that I would not normally get a chance to see.  Smaller wedge and putter companies, independents, ect.  

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

13 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

I have no interest in standing in any line to hit any club that I can hit at my local shop the next week. My primary consideration will be to see anything that I would not normally get a chance to see.  Smaller wedge and putter companies, independents, ect.  

... The thing about Demo Day is the plethora of head and shaft combinations is usually much more extensive than what you might find at your shop. I always find it fun to hit stuff I probably would not have access to locally, like say a Tensei Pro Orange or new Graphite Design shaft in several different driver heads. Or the new graphite irons shafts that sell for $75 or more. You get the idea, it really can be like a kid in a candy store if you like hitting different and/or unusual offerings. But they also have several putting greens with most all the putter OEMs there with putters to try and very few lines so you will probably really enjoy that!

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

... The thing about Demo Day is the plethora of head and shaft combinations is usually much more extensive than what you might find at your shop. I always find it fun to hit stuff I probably would not have access to locally, like say a Tensei Pro Orange or new Graphite Design shaft in several different driver heads. Or the new graphite irons shafts that sell for $75 or more. You get the idea, it really can be like a kid in a candy store if you like hitting different and/or unusual offerings. But they also have several putting greens with most all the putter OEMs there with putters to try and very few lines so you will probably really enjoy that!

I really did want to go early at 9 with the other PGA guys and avoid the lines..  but I've got to actually do a little work on this trip.....

☹️

IMG_2057.JPG

Early look at the show floor...

Sent from OregonMyGolfSpy

What do you think is the high-end for income by a club rep in the golf business? $75k? What about the apparel guys? Which type of reps make the most? I’ve always wondered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

31 minutes ago, PMookie said:

What do you think is the high-end for income by a club rep in the golf business? $75k? What about the apparel guys? Which type of reps make the most? I’ve always wondered.

I know of two thst easily make 6 figures.  As for apparell only guys.  One that does very well.  Two that are probably in the range you mentioned. 

Back in the day, Cobra had a rep in Florida that was making over 1 million a year. He was making more that the company president. They fired him and changed the way they paid their reps.

Now, most of the guys I see are independent and have several lines. These guys hustle and have a massive territory( Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana). The most successful guys are easily clearing 150000 in a good year, but it is entirely cyclical.

Tough way to make a living.

High end for a top tier rep is $90-115k. Also doesn’t factor location and cost of living. South Florida and Bay Area reps will make more.

Naturally, it depends on who you’re working for. Titleist, TM and Callaway sell themselves.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Back in the day, Cobra had a rep in Florida that was making over 1 million a year. He was making more that the company president. They fired him and changed the way they paid their reps.

Now, most of the guys I see are independent and have several lines. These guys hustle and have a massive territory( Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana). The most successful guys are easily clearing 150000 in a good year, but it is entirely cyclical.

Tough way to make a living.

No doubt. Travel, demo days, etc, don’t make a whole lot, add to that they rarely get to golf and it would seem like a young, single person’s type of job. I see the reps at our demo days here with trailers, or big vans all loaded-up and they always seem worn-out or just not “happy”. Demo days must be a drag.

I’d always wanted to be the Polo Golf rep calling on accounts back just out of college. Getting the clothes for a major discount was my dream! Peter Millar these days would be one I’d enjoy repping as a young guy.

Yep, tough life. If the majority aren’t making 6 figures, it’s just not worth it.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

No doubt. Travel, demo days, etc, don’t make a whole lot, add to that they rarely get to golf and it would seem like a young, single person’s type of job. I see the reps at our demo days here with trailers, or big vans all loaded-up and they always seem worn-out or just not “happy”. Demo days must be a drag.
I’d always wanted to be the Polo Golf rep calling on accounts back just out of college. Getting the clothes for a major discount was my dream! Peter Millar these days would be one I’d enjoy repping as a young guy.
Yep, tough life. If the majority aren’t making 6 figures, it’s just not worth it.

This is why I’m always amused by stories of how reps are rude to golfers. The ones who complain have no idea what life is like for a traveling sales rep.

It’s definitely a grind. On my one day off a week I was given a shot to work as a demo rep for Adams. $100 for the day and that did not cover meals or travel for a 5 hour round trip gig. Pass.

Respect to those who make it work.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Most of the big four OEM's in my area have tech reps that do the demo days, not the actual Rep for the area.  Tech Reps generally have full time jobs and do the demo day on a seasonal part time basis.  That said, I'm sure it can get to be very tiresome giving up just about every weekend from April to September and spending 4 to 8 hours on the range in all sorts of weather....and then the best part listening every 25 handicap come through and tell you everything they know, or think they know anyway..ha

... I think it is like many things in life. If you have to interact with others, you can choose to do your job to the best of your ability and treat every person as an individual giving them your best. Or you can phone it in doing the bare minimum. As an actor I approach every single shoot the same way: the hours will be long, the people will be unpleasant, the conditions will be difficult, food will be bad and the pay will be less than it should be. Anything better than that is just icing on the cake. I have had shoots where it was just like that and others that were a real joy and almost everything in-between. I would think a Rep should approach their job the same way. I have been to Demo Days with actual Reps that treated every person with respect and enthusiasm. They then give more time to serious attendees and less to those just kicking tires or using their equipment as a free driving range. In the words of Sheryl Crow: "No one said it would be easy but no one said it'd be this hard". Enjoy your work and everything is better for you and your customers. Hate your work and everyone is miserable.  

Demo day was soooo windy today.  holy smokes.. I was feeling for the poor people working today. It was cold out there.  I personally did not hit any new equipment, except for the Sacks Parente Putters.  It was just too dang windy to judge anything. The crowd numbers in the booths told me that the big winners were Callaway, Titleist, Cleveland and Mizuno.  Big crowds and long lines.

More to report tomorrow.

N.

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think it is like many things in life. If you have to interact with others, you can choose to do your job to the best of your ability and treat every person as an individual giving them your best. Or you can phone it in doing the bare minimum. As an actor I approach every single shoot the same way: the hours will be long, the people will be unpleasant, the conditions will be difficult, food will be bad and the pay will be less than it should be. Anything better than that is just icing on the cake. I have had shoots where it was just like that and others that were a real joy and almost everything in-between. I would think a Rep should approach their job the same way. I have been to Demo Days with actual Reps that treated every person with respect and enthusiasm. They then give more time to serious attendees and less to those just kicking tires or using their equipment as a free driving range. In the words of Sheryl Crow: "No one said it would be easy but no one said it'd be this hard". Enjoy your work and everything is better for you and your customers. Hate your work and everyone is miserable.  

I'm probably digressing from the topic, but sales is sales, no matter what the product is.  I remember selling cars, that the worst thing about that job was never having any customers to sell to.  You'd stand on a lot for 11 hours a day and some days not speak to a soul.  That was the worst experience of my life.  But if I was a rep for an OEM or whatever, and I knew I would be busy showing clubs, and demoing clubs to people when I was there I would absolutely love to do it.  It's the sitting around picking your butt with no one to interact with that absolutely kills me.  Maybe I am more of a people person then I care to admit to, but even with my two rounds the last few days, being paired up with total strangers in a tournament, I enjoyed the interaction with guys that loved to play golf.  And if you talk to someone long enough you find what interests them and then the conversation just flows.

But yeah, the people that call it a grind, and mail it in, no thanks.  Find something else to make a living at and open up the job to someone who would actually look forward to it.

I guess it's kinda like my time working in the cart barn at a private club on the weekends back in the day.  I was probably the oldest guy working there pushing carts, but I loved it, because it was always busy and the people I worked with were really nice.  But I don't think I'd enjoy working in a pro shop at a club.  I've seen the people in my club's pro shop, and I am pretty sure they are bored out of their minds 90% of the time.   Not the job for me, thanks.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

IMG_2070.JPG
Here is half of the show floor. I really have no idea how I am gonna see 30% of it.

5 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

IMG_2070.JPG
Here is half of the show floor. I really have no idea how I am gonna see 30% of it.

Yeah, my first year I'm pretty sure I only saw about 10% of it, I never even made to the far end.