GolfSpy MPR

NPG Episode 28: 6 Hot New Golf Products in 2020!

Our Sponsors

We're breaking in 2020 with the introduction of our show's new host, Miranda Mason. We also talk about the avalanche of new releases since the start of the year. A new year, a new host, and a ton of new products announced. Let's get it!

1:38 - Callaway's Mavrik Driver and does sound correlate with performance?
15:46 - Taylormade continues their strong naming conventions with the SIM Driver
23:41 - PXG's Gen 3 Irons: How do they justify that price tag?
33:09 - Mizuno's first putters in the US, the M-Craft line
37:21 - Odyssey's Triple Track Putter lines up nicely with the similarly striped ball
42:25 - A 38° Pitching Wedge? It's real, but we can't say who it's from yet...
50:01 - MGS's visit to Baltimore to see the launch of Under Armour's Spieth 4 Shoe.

🔊 Listen to NPG:

📺 Watch NPG:

• Like 1

Looks like it's loaded with a lot of great topics.  Will have to carve out time to listen.  Or maybe better yet, watch the video on Monday to see the new host!

• Like 1

Just listened to Epi 28. Great talk. Miranda is a natural fit.

The PXG discussion was interesting. I went in to their retail shop in Bellevue, WA over the holidays and hit the 0211 irons (only because they were ON SALE - $125/club). Given that I had just purchased Hot Metals in September and Hogan Ft. Worth Blacks in December, I wasn't really a customer, but I can't ignore a sale. They 0211 irons weren't anything special. I didn't hit the 0311 irons in case they were, 'cause they were NOT on sale. I don't hate PXG for their market and price point, but they are having the opposite effect on irons (and, I fear, golf generally) than what Dean Snell has created in the golf ball market. PXG creates another excuse for the big 3 (or is it 4 or 5) to jack prices up. It is a bit like the "loft war", with a race to change expectations of what a reasonable price is or what a number on a club means.

FWIW, I have never owned Mizuno or Hogan irons before because I didn't think my game was worthy of either. News Flash! Mizunos and Hogans are not just for low handicappers. I brought the Hogans to New Zealand for our winter (their summer) and hit them yesterday. They are traditionally lofted but are at least a club longer (maybe more) than the Cleveland HB3s I have had here for 8 years or so. The Mizunos are still at home in Friday Harbor, WA. They are also at least a club longer. But the Hot Metal 7 iron is lofted at 30 degrees. The Hogan 7 iron is 34 degrees. For my testing so far, it looks like both go about the same distance. And, in addition to longer, they both fly higher than the old Clevelands. And I have discovered I can actually hit them, even the Hogan Ft. Worth Blacks that are forged blades. Technology is a very, very good thing.   

Edited by Hecaviator
OCD
  • Like 1

Is the video available yet?

Is the video available yet?

Yes, they drop on Monday’s.

• Like 1

Tony's dog just hanging out lol!

• Like 1

The Mizuno putters are great! I love that slant neck blue.. Beautiful. 

Why was the girl added? Not sure the show is any different than before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

33 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you don't' see any difference between here and Sam...then well now...😛😛 

But I found her as a nice addition.  It adds a different dynamic, She may not have the golf knowledge that the others have, but I think as she gets more comfortable with the flow she'll be able to take the opportunity to maybe ask questions about something when Tony starts going deep in the woods.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PMookie said:

To basically facilitate the discussion and keep the guys on topic.  Not intended to make the show different

• Like 3