Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

My "custom" indoor putting green

In August we ended up buying a new house with ample room in the basement. I got permission from my better half to build an indoor putting green in the basement. Here is how it's going so far.

I picked up all the matirials for the frame this morning. It took me about 2 hours to fully get the bottom frame put together. In total it is 12ft by 8ft. I plan on having a putting surface of 8x10 and using the other 2 feet for storage of clubs and equipment. I haven't decided the number of holes yet, but I was thinking 5.

I plan on getting the plywood this week and my "turf" attached next week.

Ps. Forgive the blandness of the basement. It hasn't been our focus on furnishing the house until recent weeks.20200119_111427.jpg20200119_120914.jpg20200119_130143.jpg20200119_144515.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Looks very similar to the 8x11 putting green I built in the fall. 
What are you going to use for the putting surface? After much research I ended up going with Toyota camry trunk carpet 
IMG_20190901_195842.thumb.jpg.9774c40dd5980dd25963b8df731c406b.jpg
IMG_20190905_084008.thumb.jpg.c5aa7210d69b95525528bceda542b0ef.jpg
IMG_20190906_161213.thumb.jpg.128c1b8c77970d76459e6c0233cdf561.jpg
Funny you should say that...that is exactly the same "turf I'm using.

1 minute ago, Pkellz25 said:

Funny you should say that...that is exactly the same "turf I'm using.

Awesome. It rolls soo good. Just make sure you go light on the carpet adhesive because it can bleed through. If I could do it again I'd try a different type of adhesive 

Awesome. It rolls soo good. Just make sure you go light on the carpet adhesive because it can bleed through. If I could do it again I'd try a different type of adhesive 
Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind. Im.glad someone else is using the Camry mat. I was skeptical about it and was considering changing. It's been sitting in my basement since we moved, but I figured might as well st least try it and if I don't like it I can always replace.

What do you think yours rolls at? The seller told me between 10 and 11.

5 minutes ago, Pkellz25 said:

Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind. Im.glad someone else is using the Camry mat. I was skeptical about it and was considering changing. It's been sitting in my basement since we moved, but I figured might as well st least try it and if I don't like it I can always replace.

What do you think yours rolls at? The seller told me between 10 and 11.

I would say that's pretty accurate. Make sure you sink your screws in the plywood and then cover the screws with spackle or wood putty so you can smooth out any bumps. The carpet is pretty thin so you'd notice bumps if you don't take the time to get rid of them before applying the carpet 

Out of curiosity because I am planning on building one soon too, how did you come up with the idea of using camry carpet?  Also, where did you go to get it?  I think it's a genius idea BTW. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Just now, ballplayer002003 said:

Out of curiosity because I am planning on building one soon too, how did you come up with the idea of using camry carpet?  Also, where did you go to get it?  I think it's a genius idea BTW. 

Found a detailed thread about it on a golfsimulator forum.  Lead me to this site.  Not the prettiest website, but it's legit.  https://camrygolf.com/

Webb Simpson, Ben Crane and Mac Leishman all of putting greens at home made from Toyota Camry trunk carpet

12 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Found a detailed thread about it on a golfsimulator forum.  Lead me to this site.  Not the prettiest website, but it's legit.  https://camrygolf.com/

Webb Simpson, Ben Crane and Mac Leishman all of putting greens at home made from Toyota Camry trunk carpet

I will definitely look into it!  Thanks for this.  

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

I will definitely look into it!  Thanks for this.  

Here is his Ebay listing of it as well. He can do custom sizes if you ask and give really good prices. I got 2 4.5x12 rolls for just under 125 shipped.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264428620149

9 minutes ago, Pkellz25 said:

Here is his Ebay listing of it as well. He can do custom sizes if you ask and give really good prices. I got 2 4.5x12 rolls for just under 125 shipped.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264428620149

Yup that's about the price I got as well 

On 1/24/2020 at 2:29 PM, Pkellz25 said:

Thank you!!!  This project may have just been bumped up on the priority list.  

very cool! Well done. Great find regarding the Camry carpet! I'll have to keep that in mind

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.

I was able to put the surface on today with the help of 2 other people. With the matirial being very flexible, it was a 3 person job. It took about 45 min in total to install and smooth out.

Next steps are to wait for it to fully cure, cut off the excess fabric, cut out the holes then finally fabricate bumpers to prevent the balls from leaving the surface.20200315_152704.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone used Grizzly Grass Carpet from Lowes or Home Depot as a putting green surface. at $0.50 per sf I hope someone has had some success. 

Grizzly Grass Dark Green Plush Carpet (Interior/Exterior)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/19/2021 at 4:13 PM, craig r said:

OK, the guy from camry golf just takes your order, and puts in an order at yourautotrim.com shipped it directly to your house, with a 150%+ markup. buy it yourself.

What is the item name at yourautotrim? It doesn't mention Camry, there is 1 item called "Speaker Box / Automotive Trunklining Carpet".

Thinking of recreating a 26' Wellputt mat for $50 instead of paying $460 for a new one. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Need to add these to your green

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2020 at 8:48 PM, jlukes said:

Would you suggest going very light on a standard carpet adhesive or using a spray adhesive like 3M 77?

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2021 at 1:22 PM, BMart519 said:

What is the item name at yourautotrim? It doesn't mention Camry, there is 1 item called "Speaker Box / Automotive Trunklining Carpet".

Thinking of recreating a 26' Wellputt mat for $50 instead of paying $460 for a new one. 

Ever figure out the exact item?

MS1DFyg.jpg

On 10/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, mbs6319 said:

Has anyone used Grizzly Grass Carpet from Lowes or Home Depot as a putting green surface. at $0.50 per sf I hope someone has had some success. 

Grizzly Grass Dark Green Plush Carpet (Interior/Exterior)

Did you ever try putting on grizzly grass? 

I have a 12x12 green and this would be absolutely perfect since I can get one full roll in a 12x length 

MS1DFyg.jpg

On 1/19/2020 at 8:34 PM, Pkellz25 said:

Ps. Forgive the blandness of the basement. It hasn't been our focus on furnishing the house until recent weeks

It's always much more important to establish the putting green before any furniture!  😁

My bag is a revolving door!

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2022 at 2:12 PM, Circlechangeup said:

Would you suggest going very light on a standard carpet adhesive or using a spray adhesive like 3M 77?

I did a project with the camry carpet and went with the roberts 6700 spread with a 1/16" trowel.  Worked amazing. ***It is important to keep the Camry carpet rolled up and unrolled onto your surface***. I glued 4ft making sure to spread the teeth pattern,  and unrolled the camry on. Repeated until finished. Gave it 24 hours to dry. Turned out super clean. 

The roberts glue was great but I had a friend go with 3m77 and that worked as well. If I were to start again I would definitely try out the 3m77 or even the 3m80. 

If you lay out the carpet before you began to glue, there is no way you will be able to get an even application. Keep er rolled up like the pros! 

That's a nice putting platform IF all you want is a FLAT green to work on. When I was designing my putting green I went with 3/8" plywood so I could change the slope of the green as I wished. All I had to do was raise one or more corners of the sheet of plywood and ti would bend nicely and let me putt up hill or down hill with left or right break as I chose to set it up. Much more versatile than a flat solid platform as the one you built. 

An automatic ball return like the Robo Cup is a great idea as it lets me putt a lot faster for more practice in a shorter length of time. 

With your solid and stiff platform, you might want to think about adding adjustable feet around the edges so you can raise one side of the green to give you some slope in your green. Much more challenging and fun when you have to read the greens. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I built a putting green with Camry within the last year. It’s been a game changer especially to work on putting during Wisconsin winters. Two issues I have with the build are the fact that the Camry surface is starting to pill with use and vacuuming, and I used a thin carpet pad between the plywood and Camry. When inserting the cups I ended up with a rounded edge on the cup which acts as a funnel. While this is a huge confidence booster when rolling 8 footers in the basement, it really sucks on the course where the funnel effect goes away . It’s roughly 8x6. The fencing is to keep the dogs off.

510fc37d03f5c5063dc5b1b33741db0c.jpg
6faf77180dc87a2ef41ca77baf0d2f91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping I25 9.5 degree stiff

Wood: Ping I25 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: Ping I15 3 Hybrid Stiff 4-W

Irons: Ping i230 blue dot True Temper steel stiff elevate shafts +.5

Wedges: Cleveland CG15 52 degree 12 bounce Cleveland CG15 56 degree 14 bounce Cleveland CG15 58 degree 12 bounce

Putter: Scotty Cameron Tryllium Newport