Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

FrankenDriver

My brother and I were playing a round late last season when de decided to be a jacka$$ and throw his driver in front of me while I teed off.  Unfortunately for him, I hit his driver with my tee ball and snapped the shaft clean off his driver.  But I am making lemonade with his driver head.  I bought a (very cheap) 48” shaft on Amazon.  I removed his broken shaft, cleaned out the head, and put the new shaft in.  I had to trim it slightly to be below 48” but here is my finished product.  

I’ll let you know the distance gains vs accuracy.  My current gamer is 45”

392D8EB6-218B-4545-A3E0-74301F72E25C.jpeg

0E74CCA8-FD0E-4D9D-8DFE-D39E1E28AADE.jpeg

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Found the range today, and I was super impressed that the head didn’t fly off the shaft, but more so at how easy it is to hit this.  Ball went MILES.  Mishits were the same as the regular driver.  Overall, a good investment, and worst case, I had some fun...

It took a few swings to get used to it.  I had to move the ball a little more forward in my stance, and it definitely flies higher and farther than the gamer.  I normally play a stiff shaft, so based on my research I went up to X stiff.  Seems to be working, but we’ll have to wait a while to see how it works on a real course.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

You didn't say what the head and shaft combo are? And... what's in the grip cap? A tour lock?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The head is my brother’s old Ping G15. 

The shaft is the cheapest one I could find online - SILVER 48 INCH ACCUFLEX LONG DRIVE TOUR DISTANCE 48"  $29

There is no grip lock.  Standard mid-size grips from Golf Galaxy.  $9

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

10 hours ago, HighFade said:

My brother and I were playing a round late last season when he decided to be a jacka$$ and throw his driver in front of me while I teed off.

Lol - all those Twin Cup losses causing your bro to take desperate measures?

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Frankendriver!!! Caught my attention immediately---- Your project sounds exactly like some of the meatball surgery I do. You never know until you try. Sounds like you hit a great combination

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Ha!  I took it out yesterday, and I was only able to properly test it on #1.  It added about 25 yards.  But I didn’t epoxy it very well.  The clubhead just spins around the shaft after that first shot.  That was my first attempt at epoxy and club repair, so foolish mistakes are to be expected. I’ll now be putting my old SLDR head on the next go.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

I just built one of the KRANK Long drive drivers in 6* and at 47 1/2". Not had a chance to play it yet as this is the dead of winter up here. 

This thread gave me a bit of confidence though, so I am very excited to try it ASAP.

It's mounted on a Fujikura Flywire X, which would normally be too stiff for me, but as it is 2 1/2" longer, this should turn out great. Thanks for the thread.

Thanks

TLT DAN

True Length Technology

True Frequency Technology

• 3 months later...

After more than a few tries, I have given up on Frankendriver.  I'm longer and more accurate with the standard length.  Yeah, I get an occasional bomb in there, but it's not worth it.  Solid contact with a regular driver is far better in the long run.

Side note:  my brother LOVES his, so i may have cost myself the Cup....

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

8 hours ago, HighFade said:

After more than a few tries, I have given up on Frankendriver.  I'm longer and more accurate with the standard length.  Yeah, I get an occasional bomb in there, but it's not worth it.  Solid contact with a regular driver is far better in the long run.

Side note:  my brother LOVES his, so i may have cost myself the Cup....

Don't give up on it. A few months ago I changed out the shaft on my driver and have it at 47 1/2 inches. It took a little getting used to, but when I trusted the length and stopped trying to kill the ball, it's been way more consistent and longer than the 45" shaft. 

19 hours ago, Brandoneady said:

Don't give up on it. A few months ago I changed out the shaft on my driver and have it at 47 1/2 inches. It took a little getting used to, but when I trusted the length and stopped trying to kill the ball, it's been way more consistent and longer than the 45" shaft. 

I still have it, and maybe I'll try it a few ore times, but I just signed up for the GolfWeek Am Tour (Golf Channel Am Tour is GONE - story for another thread).  So I will be practicing for those.  But on my casual rounds, I might bring it out.  For me, this was more an exercise in getting the clubmaking/repairing tools and tinkering during the cold months while I couldn't play.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58