Jump to content
Tsecor

New Chromesoft

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

The blog post on the new chromesoft was great. It became a little confusing as the article went on, but the takeaway seems to be a win for the consumer.  I loved using the chromesoft 2 years ago and hopefully the QC issues are corrected. 

when do we get to see some testing? 

What are everyone's thoughts on the new lineup? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have never liked a Callaway ball and won’t be giving the new ones a go. Titleist and Bridgestone have full control over their ball making. Titleist always gets first crack at being my ball. Bridgestone b330 line was great and the tour line has been so so for me. TP5 has been a better performer as well for me.

Its nice to see Callaway putting money into fixing their issues after the ball study and the #finditcutit but overall. Its also interesting they have increased the compression in the previous csx triple track but passed it off as the same as the csx and now they are increasing compression either using the compression of triple track or more.
 

I’m not a fan of their gear so I’ll be passing on anything they put out.

  • Like 4

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things that really stick out to me is the number of people who preferred cs over csx and the percentage of pros they expect to play to the retail ball.

From an advertising perspective Bridgestone can claim their pros like tiger are playing retail ball. I believe most of their staff uses retail ball plus now they can include tiger helped design the current ball.

Titleist can say 85% of their staff play retail ball.

Only having 60% of your staff playing the retail ball could lead to more of the id it’s not good enough for the pros why would I pay almost the same price as prov or the same price as bridgetone and TaylorMade or more than Srixon for this ball? 

  • Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have Callaway fixed the off centre cores and other issues or is it just marketing for their new ball?

I liked the Chromesoft, but after some performance issues on the course (i.e a banana slice from nowhere and I dont banana slice anything) I stopped using, but would like to go back and try them if they are stating they have sorted the issues MGS proved.


Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Have Callaway fixed the off centre cores and other issues or is it just marketing for their new ball?

I liked the Chromesoft, but after some performance issues on the course (i.e a banana slice from nowhere and I dont banana slice anything) I stopped using, but would like to go back and try them if they are stating they have sorted the issues MGS proved.

It's literally all in the blog post 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST Ping 9* LST (playing 8*) VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X
 
SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jlukes said:

It's literally all in the blog post 

Not to mentioned reported and Callaway iirc put out a “press release” last year they were spending $50million in the ball plant 

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jlukes said:

It's literally all in the blog post 

thanks for pointing that out, must have scanned to fast as I'm busy.

I've now taken the time to read it entirely and it does answer my 'rushed' question. I'll be sure to check in future before asking about something that's easily read if I had the time.


Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Have never liked a Callaway ball and won’t be giving the new ones a go. Titleist and Bridgestone have full control over their ball making. Titleist always gets first crack at being my ball. Bridgestone b330 line was great and the tour line has been so so for me. TP5 has been a better performer as well for me.

Its nice to see Callaway putting money into fixing their issues after the ball study and the #finditcutit but overall. Its also interesting they have increased the compression in the previous csx triple track but passed it off as the same as the csx and now they are increasing compression either using the compression of triple track or more.
 

I’m not a fan of their gear so I’ll be passing on anything they put out.

This is great. This is exactly how I feel about Titleist. I’ve been playin Chrome softs since they came out. Tried the Bridgestone last season, it is a good ball. Just for whatever reason Truvis black and yellow seem to work for me, and I and just stick in with it. 

  • Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 8:35 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Two things that really stick out to me is the number of people who preferred cs over csx and the percentage of pros they expect to play to the retail ball.

From an advertising perspective Bridgestone can claim their pros like tiger are playing retail ball. I believe most of their staff uses retail ball plus now they can include tiger helped design the current ball.

Titleist can say 85% of their staff play retail ball.

Only having 60% of your staff playing the retail ball could lead to more of the id it’s not good enough for the pros why would I pay almost the same price as prov or the same price as bridgetone and TaylorMade or more than Srixon for this ball? 

I didn't realize such a large percentage of tour players were using retail balls (of most mfgs.).  That is a huge marketing point IMO.  My experience with CS has been good though I don't buy them.  I love the blurred out "top secret" segments in their how the sausage is made video.

https://www.callawaygolf.com/videos/product/golf-balls/#play-balls-product-videos-chrome-soft-flowmotion


:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I didn't realize such a large percentage of tour players were using retail balls (of most mfgs.).  That is a huge marketing point IMO.  My experience with CS has been good though I don't buy them.  I love the blurred out "top secret" segments in their how the sausage is made video.

https://www.callawaygolf.com/videos/product/golf-balls/#play-balls-product-videos-chrome-soft-flowmotion

From what I’ve been told all the pros under contract to Srixon ball use the retail version and there’s no additional tour ball only. I haven’t looked at the USGA conforming list to check if there are other balls out there.

reading the stuff on Bridgestone’s website about the new ball lineup it seems like all their staff uses each of the retail version as well.

Im not sure on TaylorMade and haven’t looked at USGA list for their balls either but hey have a relatively small staff and outside of tiger I believe everyone else is using their ball but rose and Sergio both had their own ball at one point.

 


Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My feelings are still hurt with the integrity issues at Callaway for the chrome soft.  I won't be patronizing them.  🤣

  • Like 2

:titelist-small:  :vokey-small:  :cameron-small:  :footjoy-small:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For whatever reason, the TP5X always flew differently for me...in a bad way.....i used to use the Lethal which i thought was a great ball and the TP5 works well but the "X"......yuuucck.....not sure TM has any QC on that ball..lol

But the times i used chromesoft, it worked well. Maybe I got a good batch....and ill try the new ones, but maily i stick with the companies that supply their pros with the same ball as we can buy.....Srixon, Bridgestone and Titleist (because of their QC)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but I was "out to lunch" when the QC information on the Chrome Soft was released. Can someone let me know what problems were outlined?I tried a dozen last Summer and didn't like it at all. Maybe I got a bad batch. I do sometimes play the SuperSoft when it's below 55*, but generally play Titleist balls.


Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sorry, but I was "out to lunch" when the QC information on the Chrome Soft was released. Can someone let me know what problems were outlined?I tried a dozen last Summer and didn't like it at all. Maybe I got a bad batch. I do sometimes play the SuperSoft when it's below 55*, but generally play Titleist balls.

Cores were not consistently centered. Lots of info on the forum if you look. Or search for finditcutit.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new CS and CSX will be completely different from previous balls.The new CSX will be over 100 compression. That is not what I would call soft. There are only 4 companies that control their ball manufacturing from beginning to end. Titleist, Bridgestone, Srixon, and now Callaway. I think the core issue will be non issue moving forward. 

I am not saying you should jump on board. But, I think the quality issues are fixed. That being said, I am most excited for the new B stone ball. 


Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

The new CS and CSX will be completely different from previous balls.The new CSX will be over 100 compression. That is not what I would call soft. There are only 4 companies that control their ball manufacturing from beginning to end. Titleist, Bridgestone, Srixon, and now Callaway. I think the core issue will be non issue moving forward. 

I am not saying you should jump on board. But, I think the quality issues are fixed. That being said, I am most excited for the new B stone ball. 

Did Callaway start making their own cores now? I thought that was all still being done overseas and shipped to their ball plant


Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Did Callaway start making their own cores now? I thought that was all still being done overseas and shipped to their ball plant

 

With the build of their new ball plant. It will be 100% in house. 


Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

 

With the build of their new ball plant. It will be 100% in house. 

Thanks. Was that in the mgs article on the 2020 chromosome ball or another article on Callaway or somewhere else?


Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Thanks. Was that in the mgs article on the 2020 chromosome ball or another article on Callaway or somewhere else?

Somewhere else. It could have been bad info, but that is what I was told. they are going all in this year. They want to take market share from Titleist really bad. 

  • Like 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting word that Callaway is struggling to produce the new CSX ball. They are probably going to be difficult to find for a while even after they are finally released. Apparently it is very difficult to produce the new dual mantel layer is really hard to make.

No issues with the standard chrome soft but the X is proving difficult. 


Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...