Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

New Chromesoft

Tsecor

35 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Quigley, let me ask a hypothetical question here.

Say you made two products which were supposed to top of the line products and they were found to be substandard. You invest an oodle of time and capital in making those products up to the level they need to be. After making that investment there still appears to be a problem with one of your two products, or 50 percent of your products. Don't you think it's fair to say that's a disastrous outcome?

I don’t think this is really an issue. They opened a plant from scratch to take total control of the process and are having issues. I don’t care what type of business you have, anytime you start from scratch to make anything there will be problems. That is the case here. QC is utmost for them, especially after last years ball test by MGS. I think waiting until the quality is up to par is the right thing to do. I don’t think the outcome is disastrous. it would be disastrous if they produced a ball that had the same or worse QC than the previous ball. Having to wait a few months to get it right should prove they are taking the quality of their golf balls very serious.  

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

On 1/28/2020 at 2:08 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I didn't realize such a large percentage of tour players were using retail balls (of most mfgs.).  That is a huge marketing point IMO.  My experience with CS has been good though I don't buy them.  

... I have played a couple dozen of the MG CS X Tour Select balls and had no abnormal ball flights. This is from MG Golf that sells a ton of Chrome Soft and CS X balls: 

"Callaway's "Tour Select" versions—very special balls provided only to Callway's PGA Tour pros (including the elite pros whose names you would immediately recognize) and receive a VIP level of QC. Being tweaked for pro players (and not intended for public sale), they have slight variations to the standard Chrome Soft sidestamp (like a "+" or "★" appended). They are of course USGA conforming." 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I can already see Callaway literally handpicking which balls to send over to MGS for their 2020 ball review, in which case will make the callway balls test completely useless (since it wont represent the real population of the new 2020 balls).   I suggest MGS orders in the callway balls for their test vs receiving them from Callaway.  My 2 cents.

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

2 hours ago, heribertomaya said:

I can already see Callaway literally handpicking which balls to send over to MGS for their 2020 ball review, in which case will make the callway balls test completely useless (since it wont represent the real population of the new 2020 balls).   I suggest MGS orders in the callway balls for their test vs receiving them from Callaway.  My 2 cents.

you have to go buy them off the shelf at retail......

Golf is cool

22 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I am getting word that Callaway is struggling to produce the new CSX ball. They are probably going to be difficult to find for a while even after they are finally released. Apparently it is very difficult to produce the new dual mantel layer is really hard to make.

No issues with the standard chrome soft but the X is proving difficult. 

where are you hearing this? Also is Callaway making their own cores after the $50 million they invested???? Why dont they go to bridgestone and have them make their cores? 

Golf is cool

9 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

where are you hearing this? Also is Callaway making their own cores after the $50 million they invested???? Why dont they go to bridgestone and have them make their cores? 

I am hearing it from a Callaway rep. From what I understand they are making their own cores now but I am not 100% sure. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 minute ago, Quigleyd said:

I am hearing it from a Callaway rep. From what I understand they are making their own cores now but I am not 100% sure. 

wow.....i would think this qualifies as a HUGE failure......MGS should be all over this news......

Golf is cool

4 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

wow.....i would think this qualifies as a HUGE failure......MGS should be all over this news......

I would not call it that yet. That ball is not even supposed to be released for a few more weeks so there is time to get things worked out. 

Edited by Quigleyd

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 minute ago, Quigleyd said:

I would not call it that yet. That ball is not even supposed to be released for a few more weeks. 

I would because they must have been planning this ball for 2 years already.....if they invested $50 million and still cant make the core correctly??? Thats a huge issue....

Golf is cool

1 minute ago, Kor.A.Door said:

No, huge failure is putting a ball to market that is not good quality. 

I agree. I probably shouldn't have said anything. I just didn't think it was a big issue and they were working hard to get it right. I think they are really trying to put out a quality product. From what I am hearing it is an amazing ball and will be pretty revolutionary. As with all things revolutionary in nature. They can be difficult to get all the bugs out at first. I really think other than some initial delays this is a none issue. 

1 minute ago, Kor.A.Door said:

No, huge failure is putting a ball to market that is not good quality. 

Im with you. It’s not a good look for Callaway but also how many golfers actually know this is going on. I’ll say only those on here and those who work in retail of some sorts. 

It would be much worse for them if they put it out and there were issues of any kind but a large scale issue would crush their potential sales. If they fix the issue before they are offered at retail it’s no biggie. If they hit delays for the proposed date then it starts to become an issue, but again how many golfers outside of forums, social media groups and maybe golf digest even know a new ball is due out in March 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I agree. I probably shouldn't have said anything. I just didn't think it was a big issue and they were working hard to get it right. I think they are really trying to put out a quality product. From what I am hearing it is an amazing ball and will be pretty revolutionary. As with all things revolutionary in nature. They can be difficult to get all the bugs out at first. I really think other than some initial delays this is a none issue. 

I love the Chrome Soft, it is my ball of choice. I switched to Bridgestone BXS for a bit last season, but it just didn’t work. I switched back to Black and Yellow and won’t change again. I am lookin forward to trying the new CSX but the ball I am comfortable with is the CS. Quality should override deadlines. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

11 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I love the Chrome Soft, it is my ball of choice. I switched to Bridgestone BXS for a bit last season, but it just didn’t work. I switched back to Black and Yellow and won’t change again. I am lookin forward to trying the new CSX but the ball I am comfortable with is the CS. Quality should override deadlines. 

Agreed, again I was not trying to bash Callaway. I am excited for this ball. 

15 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

Agreed, again I was not trying to bash Callaway. I am excited for this ball. 

i used the CS 2 summers ago and it was one of the best all around balls for me. I loved it. Then i read about the issues. I wanted to use the ball again, but didnt want to spend the money on something that "may" not be a real quality product.  I was excited for the new version. 

Since then I have tried BXS, TP5 and of course Prov.....all are fine and the TP5 is really good as is the prov1, but i played my best with the CS. Not sure why......im hoping they get it right but if any of this is true, its big.   And why would a rep put that out there? makes no sense. 

Golf is cool

A rep would put it out there for multiple reasons. Some being the person running a pro shop asked when they will be getting the new balls in and the rep tells that person about the issues and lets him know there could be a delay.

The same pro shop person mentions he can’t wait to try the new ball or tells the rep he has customers looking for the new ball and asks for an update.

Communication from reps to the retail accounts happens all the time and a good rep keeps his accounts up to speed on things. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

i used the CS 2 summers ago and it was one of the best all around balls for me. I loved it. Then i read about the issues. I wanted to use the ball again, but didnt want to spend the money on something that "may" not be a real quality product.  I was excited for the new version. 

Since then I have tried BXS, TP5 and of course Prov.....all are fine and the TP5 is really good as is the prov1, but i played my best with the CS. Not sure why......im hoping they get it right but if any of this is true, its big.   And why would a rep put that out there? makes no sense. 

I did the same thing. I know that I hit some poor shots, no matter what ball I use. The CS performs for me, so I switched back, and haven’t had any problems. If I hit a ball 50 yards to the left, is it the ball or is it me. Or did I only really hit it 35 yards left, the ball was the other 15, either way, the ball is in he woods pretty deep. From what I am reading here it is only the CSX that is the issue, the New CS has passed the New QC process and is good to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

It would behove Callaway to incentivize by discount or some other means?

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

Two interesting things with this release. Having a separate release for cs and another for csx. No other ball company separates their same year ball release. We know the issues with the csx that @Quigleyd talked about so why not wait til those are resolved. There’s already doubt in the consumers mind and doing a split release won’t convince the doubters and may add fuel to the fire.

Second the one thing people used to justify the purchase of cs or csx was they were cheaper than titleist. That is no longer the case. So now there’s a new version coming off a bad publicity year that’s the same price as the ball that’s been #1 for a long time. 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Two interesting things with this release. Having a separate release for cs and another for csx. No other ball company separates their same year ball release. We know the issues with the csx that @Quigleyd talked about so why not wait til those are resolved. There’s already doubt in the consumers mind and doing a split release won’t convince the doubters and may add fuel to the fire.

Second the one thing people used to justify the purchase of cs or csx was they were cheaper than titleist. That is no longer the case. So now there’s a new version coming off a bad publicity year that’s the same price as the ball that’s been #1 for a long time. 

Well, I am both glad I knew what was talking about and a little bummed by it. I am hearing a May release for the CSX. 

5 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

Well, I am both glad I knew what was talking about and a little bummed by it. I am hearing a May release for the CSX. 

A May release will only add to the speculation and doubts about the brand. Imo not a good look coming off the ball study and finditcutit issues. 

We also have to realize that as much as we all want our golf supplies, the season has not yet really started for a lot of us.  I think it's a good thing Callaway is holding out to get it right!  They know another sub par ball will destroy their golf ball market place.  Hell, just look at what MGS was able to do to them last year in the market.  Callaway cannot afford that kind of bad press again.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

20 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

We also have to realize that as much as we all want our golf supplies, the season has not yet really started for a lot of us.  I think it's a good thing Callaway is holding out to get it right!  They know another sub par ball will destroy their golf ball market place.  Hell, just look at what MGS was able to do to them last year in the market.  Callaway cannot afford that kind of bad press again.  

Totally agree. Especially since they raised the price on the ball. $47.99 is a lot to ask for there to be a single issue. I don’t have a problem with it being delayed. I like the new BXS anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

Totally agree. Especially since they raised the price on the ball. $47.99 is a lot to ask for there to be a single issue. I don’t have a problem with it being delayed. I like the new BXS anyway. 

I played the CSX two years ago and liked the feel I got.  When the MGS ball test came out, I switched over the the Bridgestone BXS.  I like this ball and think I will try the new ones out soon.  Actually looking forward to hitting the new BSX.  I honestly feel though that Callaway knows they are under a microscope here so when the new CSX come out, they will be pretty decent...they have to be!

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

55 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I played the CSX two years ago and liked the feel I got.  When the MGS ball test came out, I switched over the the Bridgestone BXS.  I like this ball and think I will try the new ones out soon.  Actually looking forward to hitting the new BSX.  I honestly feel though that Callaway knows they are under a microscope here so when the new CSX come out, they will be pretty decent...they have to be!

I have heard it is an awesome ball. Just very difficult to produce on a mass level. 

32 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

at $48 a dzn, ill probably pass this year....

They could make a splash if they offer a by 2 get 1 free......that would go a long way after their horrible QC issues were discovered. 

I could see them doing some kind of big rollout like that, especially since they will be last to market.  They will have to have some kind of incentive for us to switch back to them.  If I buy 3-4 dozen Bridgestones now, and Callaway comes out in May with these at $48, what is the incentive I have to spend the money on them when I already have balls?  I think, or I hope they realize this.