TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Chromesoft

Tsecor

The Yellow and Black Truvis is the ball I use. I’ve tried others, but they just don’t work the same, so I am CS Truvis from now on. QC issues or not, thats the ball that works for me. I will try the CSX when it comes out, but the CS works better for me. I hope they run a buy 2 get 1 deal that would be great. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

3 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

We also have to realize that as much as we all want our golf supplies, the season has not yet really started for a lot of us.  I think it's a good thing Callaway is holding out to get it right!  They know another sub par ball will destroy their golf ball market place.  Hell, just look at what MGS was able to do to them last year in the market.  Callaway cannot afford that kind of bad press again.  

True but the optics aren’t good plus not other brand does a plot release especially 2-3 months apart. TP5 and 5x come out together. The Pix is a different release in the sense it’s an add on to an existing release like triple track and truvis would be with the cs. Srixon z star and z star xv, Titleist Prov1 and 1x, and Bridgetheir B series balls all get release at the same time. 

It would have been better optics if they held the cs release til May. They could tell the story of the investment in the plant was used to create the new ball and ensure top quality and they are releasing the balls after they got everything right. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

True but the optics aren’t good plus not other brand does a plot release especially 2-3 months apart. TP5 and 5x come out together. The Pix is a different release in the sense it’s an add on to an existing release like triple track and truvis would be with the cs. Srixon z star and z star xv, Titleist Prov1 and 1x, and Bridgetheir B series balls all get release at the same time. 

It would have been better optics if they held the cs release til May. They could tell the story of the investment in the plant was used to create the new ball and ensure top quality and they are releasing the balls after they got everything right. 

The PiX is not really a new ball. More of a cosmetic extension so it really does not need to fall into some determined release cycle. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

31 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

The PiX is not really a new ball. More of a cosmetic extension so it really does not need to fall into some determined release cycle. 

Right. But to have balls within the same release like cs and csx come out months apart is way outside the norm. Titleist wouldn’t release Prov1 in March and Prov1x in May. If they did they would get hammer across golf forums. Facebook groups and social media.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

... The lady doth protest too much, methinks. Forum golfers make up such a small percentage of those that buy golf balls and whether or not Chrome Soft X is released with or after the Chrome Soft is most likely irrelevant. Fun to talk about on a golf forum and that is one of the reasons we are here, but the effect it will have on the average golfer buying balls this spring will probably be minimal.

... I think the price is going to be a much bigger factor than the release date, but we shall see. I am reminded of Srixons decision to raise the cost of Z Stars from $39.99 to $44.99 just as they were starting to gain momentum and make a dent in the ball market. The Marketing VP was extremely disappointed by the Sales Dept that said they knew they would lose market share but make up for it financially with the higher cost. The VP said every customer is important and he didn't want to lose a single golfer to higher costs, knowing they may never come back. I had been highly recommending the Z Star but with the price increase, I could no longer say choosing a Z Star over a ProV1 was a no brainer. As we all know, that strategy back fired and I think Z Stars never regained the momentum they had at $39.99. Obviously many at Cally have crunched the numbers taking into consideration the cost of the new plant and improved quality control, but as always the consumer is a fickle mistress and time will tell if they are making the right decision. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

59 minutes ago, chisag said:

... The lady doth protest too much, methinks. Forum golfers make up such a small percentage of those that buy golf balls and whether or not Chrome Soft X is released with or after the Chrome Soft is most likely irrelevant. Fun to talk about on a golf forum and that is one of the reasons we are here, but the effect it will have on the average golfer buying balls this spring will probably be minimal.

... I think the price is going to be a much bigger factor than the release date, but we shall see. I am reminded of Srixons decision to raise the cost of Z Stars from $39.99 to $44.99 just as they were starting to gain momentum and make a dent in the ball market. The Marketing VP was extremely disappointed by the Sales Dept that said they knew they would lose market share but make up for it financially with the higher cost. The VP said every customer is important and he didn't want to lose a single golfer to higher costs, knowing they may never come back. I had been highly recommending the Z Star but with the price increase, I could no longer say choosing a Z Star over a ProV1 was a no brainer. As we all know, that strategy back fired and I think Z Stars never regained the momentum they had at $39.99. Obviously many at Cally have crunched the numbers taking into consideration the cost of the new plant and improved quality control, but as always the consumer is a fickle mistress and time will tell if they are making the right decision. 

I agree with you 100%.  The price will be a bigger factor, especially after last years debacle.  In my mind, and I liked the CSX, after the qc issues last year, why would I buy their ball when priced at the top end of the spectrum?  The simple answer...I wouldn't.  I will not go out and buy a box at this price.  If they came out at an introductory price of $30-$35, I would be tempted.  They will need to lure me back.  I am not going to be lured back to this ball because they bought a new plant to help with qc issues.  Bridgestone makes a great ball at a cheaper price, Titleist makes a great ball at a cheaper price and so does Srixon.  I am not loyal to any one company, I am loyal to what works at a reasonably affordable price.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Having just tested the Bridgestone ball, I'd pick that before I bothered with Callaway.  But as I said in my review, the Titleist AVX won out for me.  Just so many balls out there to play and so little time.  And I've hit a few Chromesoft in the past and it was decent, but not really peaking my interest because what I currently game and my 2nd (and even 3rd) option are all solid choices.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

29 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I agree with you 100%.  The price will be a bigger factor, especially after last years debacle.  In my mind, and I liked the CSX, after the qc issues last year, why would I buy their ball when priced at the top end of the spectrum?  The simple answer...I wouldn't.  I will not go out and buy a box at this price.  If they came out at an introductory price of $30-$35, I would be tempted.  They will need to lure me back.  I am not going to be lured back to this ball because they bought a new plant to help with qc issues.  Bridgestone makes a great ball at a cheaper price, Titleist makes a great ball at a cheaper price and so does Srixon.  I am not loyal to any one company, I am loyal to what works at a reasonably affordable price.  

Has any company ever released a product at discount price upon initial announcement? Especially one coming off a bad press year and trying to show they are the top of the bunch with their product.

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Has any company ever released a product at discount price upon initial announcement? Especially one coming off a bad press year and trying to show they are the top of the bunch with their product.

hahahaha not to my knowledge.  It would be nice though wouldn't it?!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

24 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

hahahaha not to my knowledge.  It would be nice though wouldn't it?!

Of course. 

Every high end tour ball costs within $2-3 dollars of each other. Until last years ball testing by MGS Callaway balls were doing quite well. They had that 1 ball go off the planet and suddenly every ball they make is crap. I get it. People want good QC, so they go back and take control of the process. For some who claim to want the QC standard raised for Callaway it’s still not good enough. They have to lure you back. Why? Why does the comPany have to lure you back with a discounted price. You either like the ball and play it, or you don’t. They don’t owe us anything except doing what they are doing. Making a better ball. I don’t have the swing speed that is required for the CSX so that release doesn’t affect me, but I do play the CS and if I had to wait another 2 months while they fixed the QC issues with the CSX I would be angry, especially since the CS is ready for market. For you guys who don’t play the Callaway balls, the release dates don’t matter To you anyway. I am a consumer who does use the CS ball and can’t wait for March 12 so I can get some. 

35 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Every high end tour ball costs within $2-3 dollars of each other. Until last years ball testing by MGS Callaway balls were doing quite well. They had that 1 ball go off the planet and suddenly every ball they make is crap. I get it. People want good QC, so they go back and take control of the process. For some who claim to want the QC standard raised for Callaway it’s still not good enough. They have to lure you back. Why? Why does the comPany have to lure you back with a discounted price. You either like the ball and play it, or you don’t. They don’t owe us anything except doing what they are doing. Making a better ball. I don’t have the swing speed that is required for the CSX so that release doesn’t affect me, but I do play the CS and if I had to wait another 2 months while they fixed the QC issues with the CSX I would be angry, especially since the CS is ready for market. For you guys who don’t play the Callaway balls, the release dates don’t matter To you anyway. I am a consumer who does use the CS ball and can’t wait for March 12 so I can get some. 

If callaway doesn’t do an add for pre order would you know the cs was actually ready? If it wasn’t for a member getting info from a rep about the csx no one would know there was a delay. 

It wasn’t just one ball off the planet. It was the follow on finditcut movement where balls were exposed as having off center cores. This exposed the problem and many across social media platforms and forums called out Callaway and took their business elsewhere. Callaway pushed their plant upgrades up earlier than planned due to this. They even stated they would produce a study of their own to contradict the ball study and that hasn’t happened.

while there are some of us that won’t be playing the cs or csx it’s a golf forum and taking about issues and how things are perceived is what makes a forum work. If it was any other ball the same discussion would happen and I would guarantee if there was a problem with titleist balls and some sort of manufacturing issue the internet would be buzzing with hate and the I told you their balls aren’t worth the price and their claims of qc and such aren’t true. Followed by uproar over separate releases for Prov1 and prov1x.

Social media and some forums were waiting and hoping that after the ball study that titleist would come out looking bad. 

A company that lost customers does need to win people back. That doesn’t mean drop the price on the new balls thru a buy 2 get 1 or some other deal but they do need to be able to come out with a good story and results. Callaway isn’t coming out right now saying their new qc process is working and they aren’t releasing the csx until it’s perfect. They are going with what I perceive as making the two balls their own release which may work for them or may not, Thats to be seen but to have 2 months between releases is crazy.

look at how people react when a company releases a driver on normal schedule and then 2 months later release another model. It happened back with ping twice, Titleist with ts1/4 and now t100-s, taylormade. 

18 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

There are so many premium balls out there that do the same thing, being late to market will absolutely hurt them. especially with the new Bridgestone line which is getting rave reviews from anyone who has played it. 

Not sure how. As far as I know Bridgestone is the only new tour ball on the market this year. I don't play the ball but I would much rather have a ball that is right vs one that is rushed to market. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Not sure how. As far as I know Bridgestone is the only new tour ball on the market this year. I don't play the ball but I would much rather have a ball that is right vs one that is rushed to market. 

Some people stock up early on the year and don’t buy balls until the next year. For example titleist is getting ready to start their but 4 for the price of 3. TM just announced their similar deal. 

Then those who buy more frequently buys a ball in March or a coupe different balls to tear. They find a ball or two they like and decide to play them. Will they decide to try the csx in May after playing something all spring? If csx was out in March with the cs they could have bought that and/or tested it against the other balls they wanted to try.

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Some people stock up early on the year and don’t buy balls until the next year. For example titleist is getting ready to start their but 4 for the price of 3. TM just announced their similar deal. 

Then those who buy more frequently buys a ball in March or a coupe different balls to tear. They find a ball or two they like and decide to play them. Will they decide to try the csx in May after playing something all spring? If csx was out in March with the cs they could have bought that and/or tested it against the other balls they wanted to try.

I still don't get it. A sure fire way to lose market share is to produce a ball that is not up to par. If people want to test and try out the ball they will, regardless of when it is released. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I still don't get it. A sure fire way to lose market share is to produce a ball that is not up to par. If people want to test and try out the ball they will, regardless of when it is released. 

I agree a quality ball is better than an early release that has issues and Callaway will by under the microscope for both balls and they need to get it right. 

There’s a reason that mid June in most areas of the country brands stop doing demo days. The sales for the year are usually done by that point. Sure those that want to try will try it but at the height of golf season many have made their choices for the year in what they will play. 

People say that forum golfers are the small percent of the consumer base and that’s true but they also tend to be the ones their non forum partners go to for advice. While I wouldn’t bad mouth products to friends I will give them honest advice and information. Other May bash a company and that’s evident on forums, Facebook groups and social media. Word of mouth has a big influence and if people are seeing a brand get hammered for product quality and/or release issues it will spread 

On 3/6/2020 at 12:01 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

AVX as well but the consumer side is flooded....which is where they make their money

Multiple Titleist releases, Multiple TM releases, plus all the srixon deals going on and even the lower model balls like Noodle.......

even TM is having a 4 for 3 deal on the TP5 line.....all of it could effect the CS launch......many people take advantage of these sales going on and will not purchase a $48 /dzn ball later in the spring.....unless they are a brand loyalist and im not sure how many CS loyalists there are out there....especially after the quality issues they have had. 

Golf is cool

I don’t see a Titleist ball thread. So I guess I’ll ask here since they keep getting brought up. As I am a CS guy and don’t care much for Titleist equipment. If the Prov1 and prov1x are supposedly the cream of the crop golf ball at $52  a dozen, what is the draw for anyone to buy the AVX for the same $52 a dozen? Is AVX different? Is it marketed to different players, Titleist has said numerous times that the prov1 and prov1x will work for everyone. So why the AVX? I really am just curious on this. 

10 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I don’t see a Titleist ball thread. So I guess I’ll ask here since they keep getting brought up. As I am a CS guy and don’t care much for Titleist equipment. If the Prov1 and prov1x are supposedly the cream of the crop golf ball at $52  a dozen, what is the draw for anyone to buy the AVX for the same $52 a dozen? Is AVX different? Is it marketed to different players, Titleist has said numerous times that the prov1 and prov1x will work for everyone. So why the AVX? I really am just curious on this. 

https://youtu.be/LIezC3ClNXU

here is a testing video on both. AVX is lower spinning for more distance, but its so close, it really doesnt make all that much difference. The V1x has been the gold standard expecially when you look at thetesting that PING does.....even PING says the V1X is the best in all conditions, especially wind.....ping has no skin in the ball game and they love the V1x and use it to test their own clubs. 

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, Kor.A.Door said:

The retail price is $47.99 for all 3 tour balls from titleist. What titleist says is that compression doesn’t matter and that all swing speeds can use the Prov1 or Prov1x. The avx gives an option for someone who prefers, wants or needs lower ball flight and less spin. I have a friend who is high spin player with all clubs and is a scratch hdcp. He can play those versions of balls with no problem. With the avx he can bring his spin down without sacrificing anything in his game.

What titleist says is that compression doesn’t matter and that all swing speeds can use the Prov1 or Prov1x. 

On 3/9/2020 at 12:00 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The retail price is $47.99 for all 3 tour balls from titleist. What titleist says is that compression doesn’t matter and that all swing speeds can use the Prov1 or Prov1x. The avx gives an option for someone who prefers, wants or needs lower ball flight and less spin. I have a friend who is high spin player with all clubs and is a scratch hdcp. He can play those versions of balls with no problem. With the avx he can bring his spin down without sacrificing anything in his game.

What titleist says is that compression doesn’t matter and that all swing speeds can use the Prov1 or Prov1x. 

I just didn’t understand the difference between the New AVX and the ProV balls. 

Has anyone started cutting these new balls open? 

Driver: Callaway Rouge SZ 9* - Hzrdus Yellow 75 (6.0) - 44.5" 

3 Wood: Ping i15 15.5* - Ping TFC700 (stiff) - Standard length

4 Hybrid: Nickent 7DX 22* - Aldila R.I.P. (stiff) - Standard Length

Irons: Callaway Rouge Pro (CF18) 5 through AW - True Temper XP 105 - .5" short/ 2* up

Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 4 54* & 58* - True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 - 2* up

Putter: Odyssey #10 Triple Track

Ball: Bridgestone TourB X

Righty 

Blythewood, SC

12.0 Index

7 minutes ago, AlanMP said:

Has anyone started cutting these new balls open? 

I haven’t seen anything but they have only been available for order for about a week or so.

33 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Released to retail today. Prior to today all I could find was pre order. 

I got email from dsg this morning, couldnt remember if it had been more than a week since preorder, just had March 6th in my head for some reason.

Guessing they probably didn’t send out any pre release balls to “reviewers” over the chance of getting cut open and even if 1 was off center the chance for that to kill sales 

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I got email from dsg this morning, couldnt remember if it had been more than a week since preorder, just had March 6th in my head for some reason.

Guessing they probably didn’t send out any pre release balls to “reviewers” over the chance of getting cut open and even if 1 was off center the chance for that to kill sales 

I think March 6 was probably pretty close to the preorder email. Not sure if anyone received them for a review or not. I will have some for the weekend round and report back on the performance 

I was able to get some of these to play. Not the yellow and black but I was able to use the white and red Truvis. This ball feels different to the touch. The cover feels better than previous, it also performed very well. It was I bit longer from the tee Compared to previous model, and it stopped much better than previous models, I think has to do with the cover. I looked like the Truvis pattern was slightly different as well, but I haven’t put them side by side yet to look closely enough. Over all I liked the new ball. I was talking to our club pro who plays PROV1 and he said since all of his tournaments are cancelled he is going to try this ball. He said they feel much different to the touch and is curious how they will perform. I will check back with him after he tries them to see his likes and dislikes. It will be interesting to hear his thoughts on them as a former touring pro.