Jump to content
Tsecor

New Chromesoft

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

3 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I am getting word that Callaway is struggling to produce the new CSX ball. They are probably going to be difficult to find for a while even after they are finally released. Apparently it is very difficult to produce the new dual mantel layer is really hard to make.

No issues with the standard chrome soft but the X is proving difficult. 

I heard similar and that qc issues with the ball are pretty serious 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s what I am hearing. That it is really hard to make the new X and they don’t have it down yet. So they are not going to release it till it’s right because the know my golf spy is going to be cutting them up. 
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

That’s what I am hearing. That it is really hard to make the new X and they don’t have it down yet. So they are not going to release it till it’s right because the know my golf spy is going to be cutting them up. 
 

What I’m curious about is Molinari and Phil were playing the new retail csx last month. Wonder if it’s once they start pumping out thousands at a time is when the problems occur 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What I’m curious about is Molinari and Phil were playing the new retail csx last month. Wonder if it’s once they start pumping out thousands at a time is when the problems occur 

They are having production issues on the mass level. It seems they can make enough to keep your guys supplied.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

They are having production issues on the mass level. It seems they can make enough to keep your guys supplied.

 

And my guess (just a guess) is that they can do more thorough QC on the balls they're sending out to their guys on staff.

I wonder if Spalding/Hogan had these issues when the Chicopee plant was theirs.  I still miss the old Strata Tour Ace with playing card suits instead of numbers (like the old Penfold balls from the James Bond books).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

And my guess (just a guess) is that they can do more thorough QC on the balls they're sending out to their guys on staff.

I wonder if Spalding/Hogan had these issues when the Chicopee plant was theirs.  I still miss the old Strata Tour Ace with playing card suits instead of numbers (like the old Penfold balls from the James Bond books).

The other interesting aspects are the money they were supposed to be investing in the plant plus qc process and now these issues and the other is they are supposed to be making the codes there now instead of getting them made and shipped from overseas. Lots of moving parts not playing well together 

wonder how this affects sales later in the year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I still miss the old Strata Tour Ace with playing card suits instead of numbers (like the old Penfold balls from the James Bond books).

One of my two balls in high school... love that ball.

Also, I can't believe you throw all that money at the ball plant and still can't get it right. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

One of my two balls in high school... love that ball.

Also, I can't believe you throw all that money at the ball plant and still can't get it right. 

I am not sure that is completely fair. it takes a bit to get things up and running. Plus it is just just the CSX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I am not sure that is completely fair. it takes a bit to get things up and running. Plus it is just just the CSX.

Quigley, let me ask a hypothetical question here.

Say you made two products which were supposed to top of the line products and they were found to be substandard. You invest an oodle of time and capital in making those products up to the level they need to be. After making that investment there still appears to be a problem with one of your two products, or 50 percent of your products. Don't you think it's fair to say that's a disastrous outcome?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Quigley, let me ask a hypothetical question here.

Say you made two products which were supposed to top of the line products and they were found to be substandard. You invest an oodle of time and capital in making those products up to the level they need to be. After making that investment there still appears to be a problem with one of your two products, or 50 percent of your products. Don't you think it's fair to say that's a disastrous outcome?

I what you are saying is fair. I think this situation is a bit different though. Nothing has been released. They are catching the issue ahead of time and working to have it correct before launching it. That sounds like quality control over pushing a substandard product to me. 

My question to you is, would you rather them be late to market but have it right? Or push out a product that has potential issues still? Think Kirkland new ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Quigley, let me ask a hypothetical question here.

Say you made two products which were supposed to top of the line products and they were found to be substandard. You invest an oodle of time and capital in making those products up to the level they need to be. After making that investment there still appears to be a problem with one of your two products, or 50 percent of your products. Don't you think it's fair to say that's a disastrous outcome?

I don’t think this is really an issue. They opened a plant from scratch to take total control of the process and are having issues. I don’t care what type of business you have, anytime you start from scratch to make anything there will be problems. That is the case here. QC is utmost for them, especially after last years ball test by MGS. I think waiting until the quality is up to par is the right thing to do. I don’t think the outcome is disastrous. it would be disastrous if they produced a ball that had the same or worse QC than the previous ball. Having to wait a few months to get it right should prove they are taking the quality of their golf balls very serious.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 2:08 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I didn't realize such a large percentage of tour players were using retail balls (of most mfgs.).  That is a huge marketing point IMO.  My experience with CS has been good though I don't buy them.  

 

... I have played a couple dozen of the MG CS X Tour Select balls and had no abnormal ball flights. This is from MG Golf that sells a ton of Chrome Soft and CS X balls: 

"Callaway's "Tour Select" versions—very special balls provided only to Callway's PGA Tour pros (including the elite pros whose names you would immediately recognize) and receive a VIP level of QC. Being tweaked for pro players (and not intended for public sale), they have slight variations to the standard Chrome Soft sidestamp (like a "+" or "★" appended). They are of course USGA conforming." 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can already see Callaway literally handpicking which balls to send over to MGS for their 2020 ball review, in which case will make the callway balls test completely useless (since it wont represent the real population of the new 2020 balls).   I suggest MGS orders in the callway balls for their test vs receiving them from Callaway.  My 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, heribertomaya said:

I can already see Callaway literally handpicking which balls to send over to MGS for their 2020 ball review, in which case will make the callway balls test completely useless (since it wont represent the real population of the new 2020 balls).   I suggest MGS orders in the callway balls for their test vs receiving them from Callaway.  My 2 cents.

you have to go buy them off the shelf at retail......

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I am getting word that Callaway is struggling to produce the new CSX ball. They are probably going to be difficult to find for a while even after they are finally released. Apparently it is very difficult to produce the new dual mantel layer is really hard to make.

No issues with the standard chrome soft but the X is proving difficult. 

where are you hearing this? Also is Callaway making their own cores after the $50 million they invested???? Why dont they go to bridgestone and have them make their cores? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

where are you hearing this? Also is Callaway making their own cores after the $50 million they invested???? Why dont they go to bridgestone and have them make their cores? 

I am hearing it from a Callaway rep. From what I understand they are making their own cores now but I am not 100% sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quigleyd said:

I am hearing it from a Callaway rep. From what I understand they are making their own cores now but I am not 100% sure. 

wow.....i would think this qualifies as a HUGE failure......MGS should be all over this news......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

wow.....i would think this qualifies as a HUGE failure......MGS should be all over this news......

I would not call it that yet. That ball is not even supposed to be released for a few more weeks so there is time to get things worked out. 

Edited by Quigleyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quigleyd said:

I would not call it that yet. That ball is not even supposed to be released for a few more weeks. 

I would because they must have been planning this ball for 2 years already.....if they invested $50 million and still cant make the core correctly??? Thats a huge issue....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

wow.....i would think this qualifies as a HUGE failure......MGS should be all over this news......

No, huge failure is putting a ball to market that is not good quality. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...