TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Bridgestone lineup

Tsecor

2 hours ago, Tsecor said:

yes, but 25 yards? WOW

With the older RX I was consistent at about 220 on my tee shots. With the new RX I was consistently around 245. I had to varify that with the guys I was with because quite frankly I couldn't believe it. The other thing was I was straighter off the tee also.

I can't wait until I can get a couple of dozen of the new RX.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I just bought a dozen B XS to test, my usual ball is the Pro V1x.  So far I've only had time to play nine and spend some time at a short game practice area, but initial impressions, at least for me specifically, is it is quite similar to what I already use.  B XS is noticeably softer feeling and sounding, especially off the putter.  Pro V1x may have just a touch more bite from 30-40 yards, but I may have to revisit this when the greens aren't dormant.  Full shots appear to be quite similar in terms of ball flight, really hard to tell if any distance was gained though.  Will stay tuned to the thread and the MGS testing, and continue to test on my own.

In my :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titelist-small: TSi2 driver 10° w/ Tensei AV Raw White 75

:titelist-small: 917F2 3 wood 15° w/ Diamana Blue 70

:titelist-small: H16 hybrid 19° w/ Diamana Blue 70

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB irons w/ KBS $-Taper 120

:vokey-small: wedges, 56° SM6, 52° SM6, and 47° SM7 - soon to be fitted for new ones

:EVNROLL: ER2 putter

:titelist-small: Pro V1x #42

23 hours ago, Fake Carl Spackler said:

I just bought a dozen B XS to test, my usual ball is the Pro V1x.  So far I've only had time to play nine and spend some time at a short game practice area, but initial impressions, at least for me specifically, is it is quite similar to what I already use.  B XS is noticeably softer feeling and sounding, especially off the putter.  Pro V1x may have just a touch more bite from 30-40 yards, but I may have to revisit this when the greens aren't dormant.  Full shots appear to be quite similar in terms of ball flight, really hard to tell if any distance was gained though.  Will stay tuned to the thread and the MGS testing, and continue to test on my own.

You should test the BX vs the PV1X.....they are more similar

Golf is cool

On 1/21/2020 at 9:19 AM, jlukes said:

Anxious to try the X and XS.  The online ball fitting tool bounces me between the two depending on very slight adjustments I make on certain parameters.

I am concerned about getting TOO much spin with the XS.

I'm in the same boat, right on the bubble between the two depending how I'm swinging that day.  I had an interaction via Twitter with Bridgestone and the only question they asked was if I preferred a softer or firmer feel.  I said firmer and they recommended the X.  Now I'm just debating if I go all in or start with a dozen and try them.

Really hoping they have some sort of promo for the spring.  I could go for a buy 3 get 1 deal like Titleist does every year.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

9 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

I'm in the same boat, right on the bubble between the two depending how I'm swinging that day.  I had an interaction via Twitter with Bridgestone and the only question they asked was if I preferred a softer or firmer feel.  I said firmer and they recommended the X.  Now I'm just debating if I go all in or start with a dozen and try them.

Really hoping they have some sort of promo for the spring.  I could go for a buy 3 get 1 deal like Titleist does every year.

I decided on the X. After seeing the TXG video on the two it confirmed that the balls perform the same off the irons and wedges, yet X, because it is firmer, its faster off the driver. Their testing confirmed what I was seeing.

XS feels better, but doesn't perform any different around the greens for a me. So I went with the X

25 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Id really like to see a breakdown of the new BXS and TP5.   The Reactive shell sounds ALOT like the TP5 HFH shell......

The best breakdown is individual testing on the course. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

im talking about the ball itself, its components...not on course testing

Couldn’t you get that from the manufacturers website? Not sure mgs is going to have much more than what’s put out by the brand on their packaging or website 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

15 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Why though? All you are going to get is a bunch of marketing terms.  Compression, mantles, cores, fast, soft, reactiv, aerodynamic.  Etc.

All that matters is how a ball performs for you.

why ? Im interested in the tech as well as performance

Golf is cool

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Couldn’t you get that from the manufacturers website? Not sure mgs is going to have much more than what’s put out by the brand on their packaging or website 

MGS has lots of great insight as to what goes into the tech components of many items. Covey and Co. are masters at breaking things down. 

Golf is cool

11 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

MGS has lots of great insight as to what goes into the tech components of many items. Covey and Co. are masters at breaking things down. 

What are they going to tell you that you won’t be able to determine on the course.

1 minute ago, Tsecor said:

i understand their own tech is on their websites...thats not what im curious about....but lets move on. this is just useless banter. 

Balls are very different than clubs.  Club tech is a lot about material thickness, shape and weight placement.  Ball tech is more proprietary material driven, so companies would not be willing to share what exactly is in their core that makes it do what it does.  With Bridgestone, we get a "Reactiv" Urethane.  With Srixon, we get a "SpinSkin" coating.  These companies are going to reveal the actual composition of the technology.

If you want to learn about the generic composition of golf balls, it is all over the internet:

https://cen.acs.org/articles/95/web/2017/06/s-inside-golf-balls-chemistry.html

These days, a golf ball is typically made of a butadiene rubber center surrounded by one or more rubber mantles and topped off with a tough skin. These outer layers are made from blends of high-performance ethylene copolymers known as ionomeric resins, which harden through ionic crosslinking between negatively charged acid groups and positively charged metal salts, such as zinc and sodium salts.

This design is favored because the resulting balls have a hard core with an outside that is compressible, or soft, according to the website of DuPont, which has been high on the leader board for golf ball technology for more than 50 years. DuPont’s technology, for example, is being used by Nike under the brand name Speedlock RZN.

Other rubber and polymer producers are also collaborating with golf ball manufacturers to make a ball that really flies. Japanese golf ball maker Kasco has been using polymer producer Lanxess’s neodymium polybutadiene rubber in the core of its balls. This material efficiently converts impact energy into kinetic energy and thus enhances flying distance, Lanxess’s website claims.

Perhaps the most quintessential part of a golf ball is its pitted coating, which affects how the ball rolls and how it feels when it is hit by a golfer’s club. Dimples also reduce a ball’s drag as it flies through the air. Manufacturers alter the size and number of dimples to adjust performance.

PPG, among others, has produced coatings for golf balls. The company has been producing a range of proprietary coating formulations, including scratch-resistant ones made from polyurethane, for companies such as the Titleist balls producer Acushnet for more than a decade.

33 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Balls are very different than clubs.  Club tech is a lot about material thickness, shape and weight placement.  Ball tech is more proprietary material driven, so companies would not be willing to share what exactly is in their core that makes it do what it does.  With Bridgestone, we get a "Reactiv" Urethane.  With Srixon, we get a "SpinSkin" coating.  These companies are going to reveal the actual composition of the technology.

If you want to learn about the generic composition of golf balls, it is all over the internet:

https://cen.acs.org/articles/95/web/2017/06/s-inside-golf-balls-chemistry.html

Thank you very much. I appreciate you sending this. I have looked at the generic makeup before and i am definitely interested in the details of these covers... which i probably cant find myself as I am not in the industry. I think with the relationships MGS has, they can probably find out a lot more than I can. When I read about Bridgestones new cover i said to myself " i have read this before" and sure enough, I found that the TP5 line has marketed this in their 2019 lineup.....as Srixon does im sure, but im unfamiliar with their ball marketing. 

I wonder if HFM and REACTIV are the same but just called two different things......for some reason that has peaked my curiosity

Golf is cool

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tsecor said:

Srixon's is great....buy 2 get 1 free.....comes out to just over $2 / ball. 

The other sales are ~ .60-.70 more per ball during the sales. 

if bridgestone ran a buy 2 get 1 sale, id be all over it.....

I agree, Bridgestone is the one everyone is salivating about (for the 2 for 3 deal).  Srixon are sub-par balls (in my case at least,  much shorter than most urethane balls, etc)

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

13 hours ago, heribertomaya said:

I agree, Bridgestone is the one everyone is salivating about (for the 2 for 3 deal).  Srixon are sub-par balls (in my case at least,  much shorter than most urethane balls, etc)

I dont agree with the srixon being sub par.....maybe you didnt like it but the company and ball is very good. One of the few balls a consumer can buy that is the exact ball used on tour

Golf is cool

3 hours ago, Tsecor said:

I dont agree with the srixon being sub par.....maybe you didnt like it but the company and ball is very good. One of the few balls a consumer can buy that is the exact ball used on tour

I'll concur with Tsecor. 

I've been playing and really liking the Titleist AVX. I was also one of the Bridgestone Ball testers and tested the Tour B X (which I didn't like because it's so hard).

Picked up a box of the Srixon Q Star Tour balls last week and played it against the AVX and the Tour BX. The Srixon feels great and just as long or longer (for me) than the Tour BX.

I like it so much that I went back for 2 more boxes of Srixon's 2 for 1 deal.

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

people get their feelings all touched-up whenever someone doesnt like "their" brand.  SMH.   If you aren't the owner/CEO of the brand,  why would you care what anyone says about your favorite product.  Hard to understand.   If I had to reply back each time defending my love for Mizuno,  I would be dead by now........

Edited by heribertomaya

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

2 hours ago, heribertomaya said:

people get their feeling all touched whenever doesnt like "their" brand.  SMH.   If you aren't the owner/CEO of the brand,  why would you care what anyone says about your favorite product.  Hard to understand.   If I had to reply back each time defending my love for Mizuno,  I would be dead by now........

I did not quite gather that from the input they gave.

23 hours ago, heribertomaya said:

That statement is fundamentally untrue. The Zstar XV is one of the longest tour balls made. 

And their quality is up there with bridgestone and Titleist 

Yesterday i played a round in what i would call "aggressive wind" conditions. I played the 2020 BXS for half the round and the 2018 BX for the other half. 

what i noticed were the following

1- the BXS ballooned for me quite a bit on well struck hybrid shots. One fell ~30-yards short of the target. 
2- The BXS flew long and felt great in "normal" conditions.
3- the 2018 BX flew much better against the wind. I estimated a 20 yard difference.
4- The 2018 BX felt very hard on even the slightest mishit (low groove hits)
5- Both were very similar around the green. but the greens were extremely hard due to lack of rain and brown surfaces (not and green  grass in the northeast just yet)

In very calm conditions, i could play either ball but the balloon balls were a major issue for me with my long hybrid shots into the wind

Golf is cool

18 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Yesterday i played a round in what i would call "aggressive wind" conditions. I played the 2020 BXS for half the round and the 2018 BX for the other half. 

what i noticed were the following

1- the BXS ballooned for me quite a bit on well struck hybrid shots. One fell ~30-yards short of the target. 
2- The BXS flew long and felt great in "normal" conditions.
3- the 2018 BX flew much better against the wind. I estimated a 20 yard difference.
4- The 2018 BX felt very hard on even the slightest mishit (low groove hits)
5- Both were very similar around the green. but the greens were extremely hard due to lack of rain and brown surfaces (not and green  grass in the northeast just yet)

In very calm conditions, i could play either ball but the balloon balls were a major issue for me with my long hybrid shots into the wind

Wouldn’t a better comparison be to use the 2018 against the 2020 version of the same ball?

You are comparing two different balls from different releases. 

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Wouldn’t a better comparison be to use the 2018 against the 2020 version of the same ball?

You are comparing two different balls from different releases. 

yes but unfortunately i did not have the 2020 BX, only the 2018. And from what most of the testing shows, the 2020 BX isnt so unique enough  to make a big difference.  Its just observations from my round, not hardcore robot testing or anything so take it for what its worth.....you could play in the same conditions and have totally different outcomes. 

Golf is cool