TESTERS WANTED! ×

Titleist Unveils Vokey SM8 Wedges

Golfspy_CG2

FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (Jan. 21, 2020) – Master Craftsman Bob Vokey’s relentless mission to design and craft better performing, better feeling wedges has reached a new height of innovation with the introduction of his Vokey Design SM8 models, the most accurate and forgiving Vokey wedges yet.

The groundbreaking Progressive Center of Gravity (CG) design concept that originated with Vokey Design SM6, and was refined with SM7, has experienced one giant shift forward in the new SM8. By moving the CG forward, to a position that actually hovers in front of the wedge face, Vokey and his R&D team have produced a wedge that wants to square every time. The result is improved distance and trajectory control, better feel and increased stability for more consistent results.

These advancements – enhanced by Bob’s six tour-proven sole grinds for precision fitting, and 100% inspected Spin Milled grooves for maximum spin – have already made Vokey SM8 the most played wedge model on the PGA Tour, continuing Vokey’s historic run as the #1 wedge on tour since 2004 and counting. 

In golf shops beginning March 6, Vokey SM8 wedges are available in four finishes – Tour ChromeBrushed Steel and Jet Black, plus the tour-preferred Raw finish (custom order only).

SM8 PERFORMANCE AND TECHNOLOGY

Great wedge play comes from distance control, shot versatility and spin. Bob Vokey and team have designed SM8 to improve performance in all three areas through the following key innovations:

• Reimagined Progressive CG: Vokey’s Progressive CG design philosophy aligns the center of gravity with the impact position – lower in the low lofts, higher in the high lofts – for better trajectory and distance control. SM8 takes the next innovative leap, pushing the CG forward while maintaining the vertical CG position to create a more consistent, better-feeling strike. To achieve this, Voke’s team lengthened the hosels and counterbalanced that weight with high-density tungsten low in the toe. This high, forward CG position boosts MOI (up to a +7% increase in the higher lofts) producing a more solid feel, improved ball flight and a club face that simply wants to square up at impact for more consistent results.

“When Kevin Tassistro (Director of Wedge R&D) brings me new prototypes, he knows I won’t have feedback until I’ve watched tour players hit them,” Vokey said. “The proof is in their results and their reactions. That’s been my validation process from day one.” 

“The first time I had guys hit SM8 was on the range at Riviera,” Vokey said. “I always listen to the sound they’re making at impact, and it was phenomenal. ‘Solid but soft’ was how they described it. They loved it. That means they’re getting the proper feedback that you need to execute every type of wedge shot, whether you’re in the fairway, in a bunker or around the green. They also talked a lot about the flight. It’s in a better window, it’s more consistent, and they have more control of it. Overall, guys just kept telling me how easy it was to hit every type of shot they wanted to hit. They just felt like they were getting more of out of the wedge – and that’s because Kevin and his team were able to push that CG forward out in front of the face, to a place we never would have imagined 20 years ago.”

Refined Sole Grind Options: Developed through decades of work with the best shot makers in the game, Vokey’s six Tour-proven sole grinds – F, S, M, K, L and D – allow golfers of all skill levels to be precisely fit for their swing type (steep, neutral, shallow), shot making style and course conditions (firm, neutral, soft). SM8 continues to feature the most complete lineup of grind, bounce and loft options, allowing for more creativity and consistency, and giving players of any level the ability to create multiple shots around the green.

- One of Vokey’s preferred setups is pairing a higher bounce sand wedge (i.e. SM8 56.14 F) with a lower bounce lob wedge (i.e. SM8 60.08 M). This type of setup – which empowers a player to adjust to firm or soft conditions from the turf or in a bunker without having to change technique – is utilized by both Jordan Spieth (56.10 S and 60.04 L) and Justin Thomas (56.14 F, 60.06 K). Based on this insight, and current PGA Tour tends, the D Grind has been extended to the 54.12 and 56.12 SM8 models, providing players with versatile mid to high bounce sand wedge options.

- To learn more about each Vokey grind and view the full SM8 matrix, click here.

100% Inspected Spin Milled Grooves: SM8’s patented Spin Milled grooves are meticulously engineered and cut to the edge to maximize spin and shot control. The Vokey R&D team continues to improve upon its industry-leading groove cutting tolerances, with each groove on every head individually cut and 100% inspected for conformity to the rules of golf. Micro-grooves are individually cut in between grooves, which maximize spin on partial shots. A proprietary heat treatment is applied to the impact area to double the durability of the groove without impacting feel – making it the most durable groove in golf.

VOKEY WEDGE SELECTOR
The Vokey Wedge Selector tool on Vokey.com helps golfers select the proper loft, bounce and grind options for their swing and course conditions. Vokey recommends that golfers visit their local Titleist fitter to confirm the results. LINK: https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-selector-tool.aspx.

#1 WEDGE ON TOUR

SM8 wedges made their PGA Tour debut in late November at the RSM Classic. More than 100 SM8 wedges were immediately put into play by 37 players, including the eventual champion, Tyler Duncan (54.08 M, 58.04 L). Just two events later at the Sony Open, the first full-field event of 2020, a total of 167 SM8 models were in the bags of 60 players, supplanting Vokey’s prior generation SM7 models as the #1 wedge on the PGA Tour. The winner, Cameron Smith, had four Jet Black SM8’s (46.10 F, 52.08 F, 56.08 M, 60.10 S) in play. New SM8 wedges (54.10 S, 60.12 D) were also in the champion’s bag the following week at The American Express.

Additionally, Vokey SM8 wedges became the #1 wedge on the European Tour the first week they were available at last week’s Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship. Ian Poulter, Rafa Cabrera Bello and Bernd Wiesberger were among those with new SM8’s in play.

The rapid conversion was foreshadowed last February at the Genesis Open, when Vokey tested unmarked nearly-final SM8 prototypes with eight players on the range at Riviera, including Max Homa, J.T. Poston and Jimmy Walker. All eight players asked him when they could put them into play.

In late December, Adam Scott won the Australian PGA Championship with four new models in the bag (48.10 F, 52.12 F, 56.10 S, 60.06 K). Scott was also one of four players on the International Presidents Cup team to game SM8’s, in addition to Smith, Sung-Jae Im and Ben An.

In total, more than 200 players have already made the switch to SM8, as the tour seeding and validation process continues around the world.

NEW SM8 FINISHES

Golfers can choose from four different finishes available in SM8. The new Tour Chrome features a softer chrome finish than the prior generation. The darker Brushed Steel is more textured and dynamic than the polished SM7, while maintaining a non-glare finish in the playing position. The raw Jet Blackis enhanced with black paint fill in the logos and graphics. Raw – the most popular option among tour players, in which no additional finish applied to the 8620 carbon steel – is available through custom order. All four finishes are available through Vokey.com.

ADVANCED PERSONALIZATION AND CUSTOM OPTIONS

SM8 wedges feature a more modern, clean look, which also provides a canvas for customization. Inpsired by Aaron Dill, Vokey’s trusted PGA Tour player rep (@VokeyWedgeRep), the WedgeWorks custom options are expanded to include:

• Six unique toe engravings;

Expanded stamping options, including 10-character Straight/Freestyle stamping, 15 characters around the toe, and two lines of 10 characters each; and

Custom paint-filled Loft, Bounce and Grind markings and BV Wings logo.

SM8 wedges can also be custom ordered with an industry-leading selection of shafts, grips, shaft bands and ferrules. For a complete list of options, visit Vokey.com.

STOCK SHAFT & GRIP
 Stock shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Stock Grip: Tour Velvet 360 White

AVAILABILITY

The new Vokey Design SM8 wedges are available for pre-order in golf shops worldwide and through Vokey.com beginning Feb. 11. They arrive in shops March 6. MAP $159.

Vokey Wedges 1.jpg

Vokey Wedge 2.png

Vokey Wedge 3.png

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Like the new design gives a little bit of change over the last few years. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Just finished reading the article. As much as I like my Bridgestones, I’ve been itching for something different and the SM8 is at the top of my wish list.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Disappointed there’s no wet performance story, although I wasn’t really expecting one for this iteration.

I was happy to see the
Mention of tighter dispersion vs SM7, I guess I’ll have to give these a swing after all.

Now I need to figure if I’m going 2 or 3 wedges. I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to future proof myself a bit and go 52-56-60 with many set gap wedges being 48ish versus my AP2 current 50.

I’m going down to one hybrid so I do have room for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Been waiting for these. It’s time to upgrade 2 wedges in my bag and these will slot there nicely. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yep.

This could finally be the year that I, a self proclaimed wedge guy, buys some of these. I think I’m overdue for a set of the “best.”

LOL

Define best... 4 of the top 6 players in the world play TM wedges, including Rory and Tiger.  Haven't you already played the "best"?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yep.

This could finally be the year that I, a self proclaimed wedge guy, buys some of these. I think I’m overdue for a set of the “best.”

If you want the “best”, look at others like Edel as well. Vega beat the Edels for me based on shot height, and hitting a lower launch window, but those Edels were the most versatile wedges I’ve ever tried in a fitting, or played on-course, and that includes Vokey, Cleveland, Mizuno, Cally, TM, etc. The fitting included full shots, 3/4 and 1/2, chips and pitches.... Pius, they’re fit to that specific golfer based on swing-type, divot-type and depth, etc. The Vegas haven’t been on-course yet, but to this point there is no better wedge than Edel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

“Groundbreaking progressive center (CG) design” 🤦🏼‍♂️

Let’s all take a deep breath. We’re talking about millimeters of space where a small amount of mass is being moved.

The marketing team is earning their $ this season.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, Mr. 82 said:

Now's a good time to get the SM7's on sale too.  Not a thing wrong with those wedges.

If you can find your loft and grind option. They have been on sale for months and lots of places have sold out of certain wedges

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, Mr. 82 said:

Now's a good time to get the SM7's on sale too.  Not a thing wrong with those wedges.

Exactly. Sorry guys but this does not move the needle for me in any fashion, instead I think I'll opted to replace my SM7's with another fresher set of SM7's this year if anything (closing in one 100 rounds with my current wedges)

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

“Groundbreaking progressive center (CG) design” 🤦🏼‍♂️

Let’s all take a deep breath. We’re talking about millimeters of space where a small amount of mass is being moved.

The marketing team is earning their $ this season.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

2mm on a wedge is huge. 

But hey, you just keep being negative about every new release, it seems to be the popular thing to do

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

LOL

Define best... 4 of the top 6 players in the world play TM wedges, including Rory and Tiger.  Haven't you already played the "best"?

What does tour usage have to do with what’s best? There’s Roger Cleveland, Bob Vokey and then everyone else. Watch the WITB the from winners on tour and see how’s your mom titleist staffers have a Vokey in the bag compared to any other brand

32 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I know you're big on the forged stuff, but the Vokeys feel as good as anything else. Nobody can match their bounce/grind options 

I’ll second that on feel and options. I’m more willing to try other brands after putting Bridgestone in the bag last year, but Titleist is still at the top.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

44 minutes ago, jlukes said:

2mm on a wedge is huge. 

But hey, you just keep being negative about every new release, it seems to be the popular thing to do

2mm on any club is like adding a paper wing to a 747.

And as far as being negative...anyone who knows me would laugh at that characterization...I've been quite clear that the new PING iron and putter releases are fantastic, the G7 forged irons are gorgeous and Titleist's SGI Iron looks like a great reach into an untapped market.

Have a good day dude, I'm not going to stoop to your level.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I know you're big on the forged stuff, but the Vokeys feel as good as anything else. Nobody can match their bounce/grind options 

Yeah. I believe I’ve been doing myself a disservice by giving the Vokeys a cold shoulder.

I’d like to do an actual fitting on grass with them.

Thinking a 46, 52, and 58k. I’m playing more of a square faced wedge game with this single plane swing. Not taking a full swipe at things with the PW, 52, or 56 I have in the bag now has brought an enormous amount of accuracy and cut my shot repertoire needs by a bunch. My favorite shot currently is a 100 yard PW, nice controlled 5/8 shot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 1:47 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

If you can find your loft and grind option. They have been on sale for months and lots of places have sold out of certain wedges

Go to TGW. 

Their custom option for the SM7's features all 3 finishes, lofts and grinds. They also have the full selection of custom shafts and grips to choose from.

I just ordered a 52*F and 58*M 2* flat with AMT black shafts and the Tour Velvet white grips for $119 each this morning. They have a free 2 day shipping promo today, although I don't know how that will work with a custom order. I'm hoping they have Titleist send them 2 day?

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

I’ve been Vokey forever but taking a break with the sub70’ for the last year. Might be time to come back home...

but tightwad me would probably go with some sm7’s on sale!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

8 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I don't need new wedges..... I just want them.  Brushed Steel for me, please.

I like this approach. I’m trying to decide finish. I’ve had the black in sm6 and 7 but thinking I want the brushed steel.

also debating wedge setup and if I’m going to put these in my back with my back up set and use mg2 in my primary bag

The Vokey fit tool keeps giving me the D grind in 58 or 60 as my primary fit. I wonder how much of this is new grind push vs based on feedback. 

Going to change some variables next time around to see if it changes. The concept is the d grind had my interest when it was announced. 

The Vokey fit tool keeps giving me the D grind in 58 or 60 as my primary fit. I wonder how much of this is new grind push vs based on feedback. 

I was D for 54 and S for 58.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I was D for 54 and S for 58.

Vice versa for me. Also said to get 46* wedge 

Vice versa for me. Also said to get 46* wedge 

It tries to fit you for all wedges. I got a 46,50,54,and 58 recommendation. I play set wedges below 54 so I only care about 54,58. Id buy one today, but hoping a demo day pops up some so I can give one a test drive.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It tries to fit you for all wedges. I got a 46,50,54,and 58 recommendation. I play set wedges below 54 so I only care about 54,58. Id buy one today, but hoping a demo day pops up some so I can give one a test drive.

I’m waiting for the demos to show up too. I play set pw 99% of the time and gap off that

I was going to be checking out the SM8s but then I found the Slate Blue SM7s which both look fantastic and came stock with the shaft I was fit to in the Modus. Based on that and some smoking good deals online right now I got a 52F, 56S, and 60D all for less than 2 stock SM8 wedges.

The 60 is brand new and the other two have almost no sign of use. Ill catch up with the new stuff on the last year of SM9 or first year of SM10 haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8