Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What about Hogan irons?

Hecaviator

Does Ben Hogan Golf send MGS irons to be tested as part of the usual evaluations that are performed? I would suggest that they should be, even though their direct to consumer marketing approach may not be what MGS thinks is in golfers' best interest (though I don't know why not). I want to encourage MGS to include the Hogan iron models in the 2020 lineup for testing, and wonder if others also support this.  

The reinvigorated Ben Hogan brand has participated in unbiased testing as well as member testing.  The brand has a good reputation among members here from VKTR, Ft Worth Black and Equalizer wedge testing opportunities. 

The HI iron was most accurate hybrid iron in 2018 https://mygolfspy.com/2018-most-wanted-utility-iron/

If you’re looking for a more detailed account of their reviews, the content is easily accessible on the forums. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I don't believe thy were tested for 2019. I know they mentioned they are testing Ben Hogan Driver for 2020. There are several brands that would love to see added but its a trade off, if MGS has to purchase and test every single club. I'm not sure how long it takes for each club but I know they test with several different testers, but knowing how many drivers they are testing for the 2020 Driver test it is 35 some drivers which is very extensive already.

With that said the more the better for us readers. Brands I would love to see tested would be. Maltby, Ben Hogan, and Hayworth.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I sure would like to try out the new Icon irons and PTx Pro irons, both are beautiful to my eye.

Ping G425 Max 10.5 with a Tour AD IZ-7 XStiff 

Ping G425 3-wood (14.5 degree)

Ping G425 Hybrid (19 degree)

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged W/Stiff Shafts

Vokey SM8 50.08, 54.14, 58,10

Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 (2020)

Pro V1x 

• 1 month later...

I have the ptx pro black irons and a 50 & 54 black equalizer wedge. I love them. I am lucky because my fitting measurements are standard. They look fantastic in my bag and one of the neat things about the black irons is after each shot I can tell where I made contact with the ball. I didn’t like the hogan grips that came with them. I have a 4 degree gap from my 4 iron to my 54. I have a hitoe 58. I am very satisfied with the irons. 

Taylormade Woods

Cobra Hybrid

Hogan Irons
HiToe Wedges

Spider Putter

Snell MTBX golf balls 

Yeah they really worked their way back into the scene with the last few releases. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 1:39 PM, Gsi10561 said:

I have the ptx pro black irons and a 50 & 54 black equalizer wedge. I love them. I am lucky because my fitting measurements are standard. They look fantastic in my bag and one of the neat things about the black irons is after each shot I can tell where I made contact with the ball. I didn’t like the hogan grips that came with them. I have a 4 degree gap from my 4 iron to my 54. I have a hitoe 58. I am very satisfied with the irons. 

Any difference in ball flight versus your previous clubs? What did you game before?

I'm considering Hogan's "players combo set" with ICONs in the short irons. I've never owned black clubs, though. Does that finish help you frame the ball at address?

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

The black finish does 2 things. 1) it frames the ball nicely. The contrast was a welcome benefit and I play a yellow ball and to me it stands out more than the chrome finish. 2) I keep my clubs clean and after contact there is a slight ball mark after contact that I can see where I’m hitting the ball on the face. I’ve grown very used to checking after each shot. Ben Hogan says there process to make the irons black is different than others. Whether that’s true or not I don’t know. My grooves have remained sharp and it has taken at least one golf season to see a visible contact pattern. 

I’m a high ball hitter and I get some serious height with these irons. The PTX pro are easily the more forgiving. A guy I play with has the Fort Worth irons and he can work the ball and hits all the shots high, low, draw, and fade. 
I love the way they look in the bag. It does nothing for performance but they look sweet. My previous irons were TaylorMade TP mc. 

Taylormade Woods

Cobra Hybrid

Hogan Irons
HiToe Wedges

Spider Putter

Snell MTBX golf balls 

On 1/21/2020 at 8:38 PM, Hecaviator said:

Does Ben Hogan Golf send MGS irons to be tested as part of the usual evaluations that are performed? I would suggest that they should be, even though their direct to consumer marketing approach may not be what MGS thinks is in golfers' best interest (though I don't know why not). I want to encourage MGS to include the Hogan iron models in the 2020 lineup for testing, and wonder if others also support this.  

Here is the latest of their products currently in review.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 2/18/2020 at 4:47 PM, BostonHackIt said:

Looking forward to the results on the Ben Hogan Edge irons.

I want to say those were tested for the 2018 Most Wanted Game Improvement Irons.  If my memory is correct, they were middle of the pack with short and long irons doing really well and mid irons being unimpressive.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

The edge irons are the crazy uncle from a looks standpoint. The back of the irons just doesn’t fit the looks of the other offerings from Hogan. They look like the Callaway X-14 irons. 

Taylormade Woods

Cobra Hybrid

Hogan Irons
HiToe Wedges

Spider Putter

Snell MTBX golf balls