Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2020 PGA show, so far...

... John, I know how tough it is to get good pictures. If possible, can you take some pictures of clubs at address? Backs/soles of the club are interesting for sure but doesn't matter to many of us if it doesn't look right at address. It is always illuminating seeing everyone park and get on the carts and hop off moving briskly and later in the day passing those folks on their way out crawling along like a turtle LOL. Show days can be very looooooong and tiring so thanks a lot for your time and energy!

Thanks for the insight but you know how busy shows are - you are so busy you dont have time to waste talking to people who aren’t important - let alone plan out a photo shoot.

Just kidding - having way too much fun - snapping whatever pix I can so it’s gonna be what it’s gonna be

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I get all that. I was just curious. Sometimes great ideas take a few alterations to make them right. It is not until they are out to the masses that you find some of these things out. 
Asked Sun Mountain about how it affects the course - they said they’ve had zero problems in the last year. The startup is so low torque you really can’t spin the tires on normal turf. When the course is wet it won’t be a whole lot different than carts.

The bigger picture - they’re fun as hell. Out one of those bags with speakers on it and It’s goffin’ time, baby!!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Square toe golf shoes? Mmmmm - No. Haven't worn any square toe shoes since the 70's when Fry boots were all the rage. Speakers built into a golf bag? Say it ain't so. Too bad Plaid. It's so.
 Bolt on driver face? Hmmm...yeah... maybe. I'd like to learn more about this.

Frye Boots
Flashback

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

One of the tires is pretty large and designed to take most of the load.  But yeah, unintended consequences could definitely occur.   i'll be happy to report back 

Stock rental carts usually have 8” tires. Most of our carts here have 10” wide tires. Less damage and better ride.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

33 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Asked Sun Mountain about how it affects the course - they said they’ve had zero problems in the last year. The startup is so low torque you really can’t spin the tires on normal turf. When the course is wet it won’t be a whole lot different than carts.

The bigger picture - they’re fun as hell. Out one of those bags with speakers on it and It’s goffin’ time, baby!!

Thanks for the feedback and asking the right questions. They do look super fun. I will have to see if I can dig up $3500 or whatever they cost!

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Day 1 is in the books...

Started the morning at the annual KBS Breakfast meeting - Kim Braly and the team showed THE new product for 2020 - the TD Tour graphite wood shaft. Kim
Hates the R-S-X-XS classification - says it’s pretty meaningless since one company’s R in one model
Might be stiffer than someone else’s X.

The new shaft is meant for fitters and the aftermarket - no plans to sell it to OEMs at this time. Fitting is primarily based on swing speed - and each Category (there are 5 that KBS does equate to traditional flexes - Kim says that’s what the industry wants) has three different weight options.

Saw Bridgestone’s booth - they had a pipe cutter set up to slice open their new balls - the story, along with the new cover - is quality. They have 120’in-process quality checks, and every single ball is visually inspected before it can go to packaging. They’ve been doing this for years but are clearly taking aim at Callaway.

Caught up with a few people - young Tony Tuber and T-Squared putters is becoming a thing. He has a “tour” van and has been making the rounds at Florida country clubs leading up to the show. Tony graduates high school this spring and it going to The university of Tennessee in the fall. The business will go on while he’s in college.

Met with G-Tech apparel. You know those hand warmers quarterbacks wear in the cold weather? G-Tech put a lithium-battery powered heating element in them - a very cool (pardon the pun) accessory for those early spring and late fall rounds. They have heated hoodies and will be coming out with vests and quarter-zips this fall. They’ve also been named the official hand warmer of the US Ryder Cup team.

Also finally got to meet Stephen Riley of PRG - the headcover company - truly a gentleman.

Saw some sweet copper-finished MP20 blades - limited edition from Mizuno. They’re only making 500 sets and selling them for $2,020. Rumor is they sold out the first day.

Also met Baldovina Mattezino, who says he was the guy who invented the hybrid, spikeless shoe. His Italian company was displaying his latest shoes. Very European, very busy looking.

Golf Pride took a handful of media to the Orlando Magic game last night to introduce their new Team Colors MCC line. I matter what you’re favorite team is, they have colors that are close. Did learn that if the MCC line was its own company, it’d be the largest grip company on earth. That’s kind of impressive.

Have meeting to go to, it here are some pix for you...

IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Good stuff John!!  Man I miss being there.  Won't miss next year for sure! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

14 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Nothing from Arccos on the Link.  Pretty disappointed in Arccos 

I really like the data arccos provided and it was pretty helpful,  but some late season hiccups with it were too frustrating to deal with. So I'll probably start the year without it in my clubs.  

17 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yup. They don't seem to be prioritizing the user experience. 

however they do continue to add features to the app....

https://www.arccosgolf.com/blogs/community/arccos-golf-launches-world-s-first-a-i-powered-rangefinder

I've never used Arccos but plan on doing so this year; I have a small older iphone that is slim and won't bother me in my pocket and will only be used for this.  I've heard the iOS version is better than Android too.  I do think they could focus on putting more effort towards a non-phone-in-the-pocket option; these features are nice but if usability is an issue then all bets are off.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I have always  been interested in Arccos I just dont think it is user friendly enough just yet. 

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

https://www.arccosgolf.com/blogs/community/arccos-golf-launches-world-s-first-a-i-powered-rangefinder

I've never used Arccos but plan on doing so this year; I have a small older iphone that is slim and won't bother me in my pocket and will only be used for this.  I've heard the iOS version is better than Android too.  I do think they could focus on putting more effort towards a non-phone-in-the-pocket option; these features are nice but if usability is an issue then all bets are off.

Yup - adding feature to the data side of things while not improving the data collection process/user experience.

To me it's like a car manufacturer adding a bigger engine to a car that has a barely functional steering wheel.

23 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yep, already talked to our GM about getting one of those.  You know, so I can get around the course easier to check on our outings.  Strictly business purposes 🙂

convince your gm that its better for the course, lighter and only 2 wheels not 4.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I wasn’t impressed with Arccos the first time around, but always believed they provided the best data. I’ve had minimal issues since going back to Arccos this fall (and just in time to avoid the annual subscription). The Link is a disappointment, but based on the information they have shared, it seems that they are very much interested in the user experience. As I know it, the original setback with Link was that they decided to re-work the device to add a hole location button based on user feedback. Since then, they have been struggling with GPS accuracy and have stated that they won’t release it until perfected. There are plenty of things I think they could do better, but I wouldn’t say they aren’t trying or just don’t care. It’s much easier to program some new algorithms and add other software enhancements. It’s a different thing entirely to develop a physical device that also requires all of those same efforts.

All that said, I’d be interested in what Arccos is pitching at the show and a brief Q&A with someone about Link development and the new subscription model for all sensors.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

58 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

It's not just the size of the phone that's the issue.  I have the 7+ and I did fine with it in the pocket--even though I would have preferred not to, but you get used to it--it was the amount of glitches and lost information that suddenly started appearing late in the year, in addition to the less than great putting tracking.  Due to the limited scope of it, I think everyone comes out as a +2 putter...:)

Don't get me wrong, I like the system and think it's probably the best out there, but I didn't buy it with the anticipation that it would regress during the year.  I'll keep an eye out for the updates and improved functionality with IOS---which yes is stil much better than Android. 

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

It's not just the size of the phone that's the issue.  I have the 7+ and I did fine with it in the pocket--even though I would have preferred not to, but you get used to it--it was the amount of glitches and lost information that suddenly started appearing late in the year, in addition to the less than great putting tracking.  Due to the limited scope of it, I think everyone comes out as a +2 putter...:)

Don't get me wrong, I like the system and think it's probably the best out there, but I didn't buy it with the anticipation that it would regress during the year.  I'll keep an eye out for the updates and improved functionality with IOS---which yes is stil much better than Android. 

Agreed - I eventually got used to the phone in the pocket.  What I couldn't get used to was the missed shots.  Or the phantom shots that were added and the 30 minutes after each round I would need to spend editing my round and pin positions to get anything close to accurate putting and approach shot data.

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Agreed - I eventually got used to the phone in the pocket.  What I couldn't get used to was the missed shots.  Or the phantom shots that were added and the 30 minutes after each round I would need to spend editing my round and pin positions to get anything close to accurate putting and approach shot data.

Yeah, post round editing was the main reason I gave up on Shotscope, so then to have to start doing it with arccos was like flashbacks to unhappy time in my golf life 😉

My biggest problems have stemmed from missed shots.  When I first got Arccos up and running (iOS)  it worked almost flawlessly even with Apple Watch connected.  Then, randomly it stopped being reliable with my watch and then even with just my phone.  Having tested and used ShotScope for a season and a half prior to, I understand a missed shot here or there.  It has gotten to the point where it will miss shots for entire holes.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

the data tracking space seems to be pretty open and I'm curious if there is anything at the show this year similar to Arccos.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Any news on new products coming from ShotScope?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

On 1/22/2020 at 5:35 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Yeah, price is certainly an issue. ECCO, adidas, other higher end shoe companies can do that - significantly tougher for a newbie. The shoes do scream quality and detail though - even the laces have silicone nuns on them so they don’t loosen during the round - hadn’t seen that before. The toe box is nice and wide, but I still found it quite stable and comfortable.

From a shoe value standpoint, $250’certainly doesn’t seem out of line, but it’s always a risk with a company you’ve never heard of. It’ll be interesting to see how they perform and hold up

If I was willing to spend like that for one pair of shoes I’d buy a pair of Ecco spikeless and pocket the difference.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Day 1 is in the books...

Started the morning at the annual KBS Breakfast meeting - Kim Braly and the team showed THE new product for 2020 - the TD Tour graphite wood shaft.

While the wood shaft is in the forefront. Any discussion on the KBS one step tour putter shaft? Apparently it is coming with the TM vault putters. From the pics is seems to mimic a stability shaft, but all steel. Wonder what the goal is since the CT shaft came out last year.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

So how much of the show is dedicated to CBD??

Its the new fix everything solution. 

Well no one else has said it but those PRGR irons look stunning--- I do know for a fact back in the day they made some little heater hybrids---- And the MP-20s If I was buying new irons that would be what I got--- Of course you guys would expect that of me being a blade man

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

6 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

My biggest problems have stemmed from missed shots.  When I first got Arccos up and running (iOS)  it worked almost flawlessly even with Apple Watch connected.  Then, randomly it stopped being reliable with my watch and then even with just my phone.  Having tested and used ShotScope for a season and a half prior to, I understand a missed shot here or there.  It has gotten to the point where it will miss shots for entire holes.

Well with what I know about you if you can not straighten it out no one else can

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Any news on new products coming from ShotScope?

Yes - this spring they’ll be coming out with the V3 watch to do shot tracking and GPS. We got to see it but it is under embargo for pictures. I can say it’s maybe a wee smaller in size compared to an Apple Watch - and a bit lighter. Huge leap forward - and it will come in different colors. You can also buy different color straps if you want.

They’re also introducing a GPS only watch.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So how much of the show is dedicated to CBD??
Its the new fix everything solution. 

Not sure on the number of booths, but there are a ton and a half.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Any update from Arccos on their Link device?  The AI powered rangefinder sounds cool but also seems like just a beefed up version of the Caddie feature that was already offered.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter