GolfSpy Barbajo

2020 PGA show, so far...

Our Sponsors

3 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

As cool as they are. i wonder how practical they will actually end up being. Also, how much damage will they cause? 

I'm no physicist but 2 fat guys in a cart weighs less than 1 fat guy on a bike?

One of our courses here just got them, also a public course. They're a client of ours so I'm hoping they let the tech guys sample them haha.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

4 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I'm no physicist but 2 fat guys in a cart weighs less than 1 fat guy on a bike?

One of our courses here just got them, also a public course. They're a client of ours so I'm hoping they let the tech guys sample them haha.

True, but 2 thin tires vs 4 very wide tires and the idea that you can go anywhere. I am not saying they will be worse. I am just curious of unintended consequences and collateral damage. 

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

10 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

As cool as they are. i wonder how practical they will actually end up being. Also, how much damage will they cause? 

I rode a couple last year on the grass, and I don't see them doing any more damage than a cart, two wheels versus 4, and they stands are designed to work in a way they dont' put a lot of pressure on the surface.   Now that said, in the hands of some drunken yahoos, they can certainly be more of a detriment than the carts.  

• Like 4

:callaway-logo-1:  MAVRIK Sub Zero 9.0 Adilia MSI 60S

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:callaway-logo-1: MAVRIK 5-A Nippon Modus 105 S 

:callaway-logo-1: MD5 Jaws 54.10 and 58.12 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

1 minute ago, Quigleyd said:

True, but 2 thin tires vs 4 very wide tires and the idea that you can go anywhere. I am not saying they will be worse. I am just curious of unintended consequences and collateral damage. 

One of the tires is pretty large and designed to take most of the load.  But yeah, unintended consequences could definitely occur.   i'll be happy to report back 😛

• Like 2

Just now, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I rode a couple last year on the grass, and I don't see them doing any more damage than a cart, two wheels versus 4, and they stands are designed to work in a way they dont' put a lot of pressure on the surface.   Now that said, in the hands of some drunken yahoos, they can certainly be more of a detriment than the carts.  

Cool, I have not seen one in person, I definitely like the idea. Just curious what the other side of the coin looks like. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Good stuff! I appreciate the honesty on the Duo Soft+ results and your discussions with W/S. Looking forward to more info & pics. 

For what it's worth I have been testing golf balls all winter and for me across my entire bag the Duo is longer than any other ball I've tried.  The ball speeds are slower for sure but the distance is there.  Spin is down across the bag as well but for a guy like me that comes up short a lot I'll take the distance gain and roll out.  When Barbajo wrote the article about the new Duo+ balls he mentioned his best score ever was with the Duo.  Well, up until a year ago so was mine.  I am going to start the season with the Duo.

• Like 4

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Yeah, ideally we would need two, just so a two some coudl try them out.   And right there is the rub.   They are roughly $4,000 apiece, where a single golf cart is about $2,500 each.   So not saying we would replace all 150 of our carts, but I think it'd be interesting to bring at least 4 on to see how they go, and if there would be a market to rent them?
Do you have any idea how much they are going to charge per round, over and above the normal green/cart fee?

I’ll find out. They really think that the advertising is going to cause folks to come there JUST to ride them! Rounds should go up a bit. They’ll have print, radio, and TV coverage. They’re not in a big market either. 20 miles South of Lexington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

They we already had them on-course to demo and had them running just after the rain. It’s no different than cart damage. They are light! They’re not motorcycles..... They’re made for golf and golf courses. If they tore-up everything, there wouldn’t be a market for them. They probably won’t rent them out when it’s cart path only...... Not sure though

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PMookie said:

They we already had them on-course to demo and had them running just after the rain. It’s no different than cart damage. They are light! They’re not motorcycles..... They’re made for golf and golf courses. If they tore-up everything, there wouldn’t be a market for them. They probably won’t rent them out when it’s cart path only...... Not sure though

I get all that. I was just curious. Sometimes great ideas take a few alterations to make them right. It is not until they are out to the masses that you find some of these things out. 

• Like 1

Yeah, ideally we would need two, just so a two some coudl try them out.   And right there is the rub.   They are roughly $4,000 apiece, where a single golf cart is about $2,500 each.   So not saying we would replace all 150 of our carts, but I think it'd be interesting to bring at least 4 on to see how they go, and if there would be a market to rent them?
Do you have any idea how much they are going to charge per round, over and above the normal green/cart fee?

I sent you a DM with my buddy’s reply.

• Like 1

... John, I know how tough it is to get good pictures. If possible, can you take some pictures of clubs at address? Backs/soles of the club are interesting for sure but doesn't matter to many of us if it doesn't look right at address. It is always illuminating seeing everyone park and get on the carts and hop off moving briskly and later in the day passing those folks on their way out crawling along like a turtle LOL. Show days can be very looooooong and tiring so thanks a lot for your time and energy!

Thanks for the insight but you know how busy shows are - you are so busy you dont have time to waste talking to people who aren’t important - let alone plan out a photo shoot.

Just kidding - having way too much fun - snapping whatever pix I can so it’s gonna be what it’s gonna be

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I get all that. I was just curious. Sometimes great ideas take a few alterations to make them right. It is not until they are out to the masses that you find some of these things out. 
Asked Sun Mountain about how it affects the course - they said they’ve had zero problems in the last year. The startup is so low torque you really can’t spin the tires on normal turf. When the course is wet it won’t be a whole lot different than carts.

The bigger picture - they’re fun as hell. Out one of those bags with speakers on it and It’s goffin’ time, baby!!

• Like 6

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Square toe golf shoes? Mmmmm - No. Haven't worn any square toe shoes since the 70's when Fry boots were all the rage. Speakers built into a golf bag? Say it ain't so. Too bad Plaid. It's so.
 Bolt on driver face? Hmmm...yeah... maybe. I'd like to learn more about this.

Frye Boots
Flashback

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

One of the tires is pretty large and designed to take most of the load.  But yeah, unintended consequences could definitely occur.   i'll be happy to report back 

Stock rental carts usually have 8” tires. Most of our carts here have 10” wide tires. Less damage and better ride.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

33 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Asked Sun Mountain about how it affects the course - they said they’ve had zero problems in the last year. The startup is so low torque you really can’t spin the tires on normal turf. When the course is wet it won’t be a whole lot different than carts.

The bigger picture - they’re fun as hell. Out one of those bags with speakers on it and It’s goffin’ time, baby!!

Thanks for the feedback and asking the right questions. They do look super fun. I will have to see if I can dig up $3500 or whatever they cost!

• Like 2

Day 1 is in the books...

Started the morning at the annual KBS Breakfast meeting - Kim Braly and the team showed THE new product for 2020 - the TD Tour graphite wood shaft. Kim
Hates the R-S-X-XS classification - says it’s pretty meaningless since one company’s R in one model
Might be stiffer than someone else’s X.

The new shaft is meant for fitters and the aftermarket - no plans to sell it to OEMs at this time. Fitting is primarily based on swing speed - and each Category (there are 5 that KBS does equate to traditional flexes - Kim says that’s what the industry wants) has three different weight options.

Saw Bridgestone’s booth - they had a pipe cutter set up to slice open their new balls - the story, along with the new cover - is quality. They have 120’in-process quality checks, and every single ball is visually inspected before it can go to packaging. They’ve been doing this for years but are clearly taking aim at Callaway.

Caught up with a few people - young Tony Tuber and T-Squared putters is becoming a thing. He has a “tour” van and has been making the rounds at Florida country clubs leading up to the show. Tony graduates high school this spring and it going to The university of Tennessee in the fall. The business will go on while he’s in college.

Met with G-Tech apparel. You know those hand warmers quarterbacks wear in the cold weather? G-Tech put a lithium-battery powered heating element in them - a very cool (pardon the pun) accessory for those early spring and late fall rounds. They have heated hoodies and will be coming out with vests and quarter-zips this fall. They’ve also been named the official hand warmer of the US Ryder Cup team.

Also finally got to meet Stephen Riley of PRG - the headcover company - truly a gentleman.

Saw some sweet copper-finished MP20 blades - limited edition from Mizuno. They’re only making 500 sets and selling them for $2,020. Rumor is they sold out the first day.

Also met Baldovina Mattezino, who says he was the guy who invented the hybrid, spikeless shoe. His Italian company was displaying his latest shoes. Very European, very busy looking.

Golf Pride took a handful of media to the Orlando Magic game last night to introduce their new Team Colors MCC line. I matter what you’re favorite team is, they have colors that are close. Did learn that if the MCC line was its own company, it’d be the largest grip company on earth. That’s kind of impressive.

Have meeting to go to, it here are some pix for you...

IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

• Like 9

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Good stuff John!!  Man I miss being there.  Won't miss next year for sure! 

Nothing from Arccos on the Link.  Pretty disappointed in Arccos 

• Like 3

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* LST VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

14 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Nothing from Arccos on the Link.  Pretty disappointed in Arccos 

I really like the data arccos provided and it was pretty helpful,  but some late season hiccups with it were too frustrating to deal with. So I'll probably start the year without it in my clubs.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I really like the data arccos provided and it was pretty helpful,  but some late season hiccups with it were too frustrating to deal with. So I'll probably start the year without it in my clubs.  

Yup. They don't seem to be prioritizing the user experience. 

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* LST VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH