Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2020 Titleist AVX Golf Ball

Golfspy_CG2

The 2nd generation of AVX is released, full details in the Press Release below.  Will be interesting to see if an already good ball is improved.

FAIRHAVEN, Mass (Jan. 22, 2020)  The next generation of Titleist AVX ­is engineered for greater ball speed, longer distance and increased short-game spin – advancing the multi-component golf ball technology that has produced breakthrough results for golfers who prioritize distance and extremely soft feel.

First introduced in the spring of 2018 following a comprehensive four-month test market, AVX was developed as a performance alternative to sit alongside Titleist’s industry-leading Pro V1 and Pro V1x models – offering the lowest flight, lowest spin and softest feel of the three premium performance offerings. 

From core to cover, every piece of the new Titleist AVX golf ball has been reengineered to deliver improved total performance from tee to green:
• The engine of 2020 AVX – a larger, reformulated low compression core – works in combination with a redesigned high flex casing layer to deliver greater ball speed and low long game spin for more distance.

• A new, thinner cast urethane cover – specifically formulated for AVX by Titleist Golf Ball R&D chemists – delivers increased spin and control for improved greenside performance.

• The increased core size also produces an even softer-feeling AVX.

New AVX, offered in both white and high optic yellow, is now available in golf shops worldwide. 

“In our ongoing discussions with golfers, we are constantly meeting players who tell us, ‘AVX is the ball I’d been waiting for,’ ” said Frederick Waddell, Senior Product Manager, Titleist Golf Balls. “At the same time, we’ve been able to lean on those golfers to better understand how they experience AVX and what we can do to help them shoot lower scores. The improvements to AVX are a direct result of their insights and the inventiveness of our R&D team to take this design to the next level – and we expect golfers to see better numbers across the board. The new AVX is faster and longer, it performs better around green, and delivers even more of the incredibly soft feel that golfers love about this product.”

Every AVX is made by Titleist associates in the company’s state-of-the-art Ball Plant 3 manufacturing facility to the highest performance and quality specifications in the industry, ensuring the most consistent performance ball to ball, and dozen to dozen. 

2020 AVX PERFORMANCE & TECHNOLOGY

AVX delivers unmatched performance in a low compression, multi-layered construction through proprietary core, cover and aerodynamic technologies: 

New, Larger Core Formulation generates high speed and low long game spin to drive more distance with exceptionally soft feel.

Redesigned High Flex Casing Layer promotes higher ball speed and lower spin on long shots for enhanced distance.

New, Thinner Cast Urethane Elastomer Cover System has been specifically formulated by Titleist R&D to provide greater ball speed and increased greenside spin and control.

Unique Catenary Aerodynamic Dimple Design delivers a piercing, low trajectory while providing a consistent ball flight on all shots.

AVAILABILITY

The new Titleist AVX is available in golf shops worldwide beginning Jan. 22. MAP $47.99.

AVX 2020.jpg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Increased green side spin is huge for this ball. That was something I noticed in the rounds I played with it upon initial limited release before it became a retail ball 2 years ago.  It’s one thing I noticed as a complaint in various online spaces. Should be an uptick in sales with this change 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Increased green side spin is huge for this ball. That was something I noticed in the rounds I played with it upon initial limited release before it became a retail ball 2 years ago.  It’s one thing I noticed as a complaint in various online spaces. Should be an uptick in sales with this change 

We tested this in October at the TT invitational, and i was pretty impressed with the spin numbers I was getting on 30 yard wedges shots, right up there with the VX

Put the AVX (first gen) into play a few months ago.......absolutely love it. I haven't had any issues getting it to stop on greens with any iron. Also enjoy the lower, penetrating ball flight over the Pro V1 and other premium balls.

Can't wait to try the new one out. Longer and softer is always a good thing!

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

I played the AVX most of last Fall, but gave it up due to how it performed on and around the greens. I may try it again this Spring. However, I got a couple of dozen Pro-V-1Xs for Christmas and it seems to work better for me.

Edited by Hoganman1

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

2 minutes ago, xxio said:

Softer? I thought soft is slow?

By most measures it is.  But companies still feel they need a ball in that category as the general public isn't aware of that, and there is still a lot of belief out there that "I need to play a soft ball" 

13 minutes ago, xxio said:

Softer? I thought soft is slow?

It’s softer than Prov1 and 1x but doesn’t necessarily mean it’s soft. This is a tour level ball designed for golfers with high spin and/or looking for a lower flight than the other two prov models

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

By most measures it is.  But companies still feel they need a ball in that category as the general public isn't aware of that, and there is still a lot of belief out there that "I need to play a soft ball" 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s softer than Prov1 and 1x but doesn’t necessarily mean it’s soft. This is a tour level ball designed for golfers with high spin and/or looking for a lower flight than the other two prov models

Thanks for clarifying that,  I should have given more detail in my answer, Titleist does in fact have a "soft" ball in it's Tour Soft model, but you are absolutely correct the AVX has a lower compression than the ProV' models (from what I understand---as Titleist doesn't generally make the compression of it's balls public) but isn't a true soft ball. 

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Thanks for clarifying that,  I should have given more detail in my answer, Titleist does in fact have a "soft" ball in it's Tour Soft model, but you are absolutely correct the AVX has a lower compression than the ProV' models (from what I understand---as Titleist doesn't generally make the compression of it's balls public) but isn't a true soft ball. 

The first two paragraphs of the OP do a good job about it being a softer feel and not necessarily softer as you mention from a compression standpoint which as per the info mgs reported during the ball study is another “measurement” in golf that doesn’t have a standard across OEMs

4 minutes ago, xxio said:

My point was, that does this mean that this newer version is slower than the original.

Why would it be slower?

the very first paragraph sentence in the OP clearly states greater ball speeds.

The next generation of Titleist AVX ­is engineered for greater ball speed, longer distance and increased short-gamespin –

They’ve added green side spin while keep it lower spin and lower flight than the original they design changes.

The notion of 1) the original being slow is incorrect to start with 2) it’s been stated in multiple threads and that slow doesn’t mean short. 

The ball is designed as a tour level ball for players that lose distance thru spin and trajectory of the Prov1 and Prov1x. It has similar  performance qualities for those who need less spin off the tee and with irons and help in bringing flight down. The avx for many is as long or longer than other tour balls. I have a friend who is a low hdcp high swing speed guy but is also high spin player and this ball fits him perfect. 

Per the mgs ball guide the original avx has a compression using their testing of 96. The compression for Prov1 104 and Prov1x 111

Callaqau chrome soft x had a compression of 100 chrome soft 86. The 86 is the type of compression being referred to when soft is slow is talked about. The cs claimed to be the ball that changed the ball. Callaway erc was at 73.

So you disagree with the soft is slow notion propounded by MGS?

I even remember them posting a video on IG(?) asking a Titliest rep about "soft is slow" and the implied answer was it is.

Personally I don't have a horse in the soft is slow race. I have played soft compression balls as far back as the MC Lady. My favorite balls have been softish tour balls.

I am interested in the 20 AvX because it is basically a better feeling and slightly longer BX which is my ball of choice. It just lacks a little greenside spin.

They just can't tease me with more greenside spin but then take it away softer, which some say is slower.

7 minutes ago, xxio said:

I even remember them posting a video on IG(?) asking a Titliest rep about "soft is slow" and the implied answer was it is.

Personally I don't have a horse in the soft is slow race. I have played soft compression balls as far back as the MC Lady. My favorite balls have been softish tour balls.

I am interested in the 20 AvX because it is basically a better feeling and slightly longer BX which is my ball of choice. It just lacks a little greenside spin.

They just can't tease me with more greenside spin but then take it away softer, which some say is slower.

Actually the reply from the Titlest ball person was "slower" not slow. 

And not speaking for RB, but I believe he was clarifying what MGS said as he laid out the specs above.  

Soft is slow.  Just watch last week's NPG.  Adam gives a perfect example of Soft is Skow. But the AVX is not slow, it's slower than Prov  

As to greenside Performance.  That will very from player to player.   You'll need to try a sleeve against the BX yourself and see which works best for you in that regard. 

Off the tee there shouldn't be that much difference.   Testing around the green is the true test of balls. 

4 minutes ago, xxio said:

Where have I stated I disagree with soft is slow?

you are totally misreading the softer aspect of what titleist is saying. They are comparing the feel of the avx to the Prov1 and Prov1x. It is going to be softer feeling because the compression of the ball is lower as I mentioned above with the mgs compression test 

Your ball of choice has a compression of 111 so the avx will be slower than that ball as it will be slower than the Prov1 and Prov1x 

the bx has a ball speed of 169.97 and the avx has a ball speed of 168.62.

What has you considering the avx since it’s a completely different market they are going after compared to what the bx market is

"Delivers more of the incredibly soft feel"

I guess I misconstrued that to mean this AVX is softer than the previous AVX.

Otherwise they are just restating the obvious and previous line that the AVX is softer than the V and VX.

They also say "faster and longer", yet softer.

Confusing.

The only way it makes sense then is if  "faster and longer" is compared to older version and the "softer" is compared to V Vx?

Edited by xxio

19 minutes ago, xxio said:

"Delivers more of the incredibly soft feel"

I guess I misconstrued that to mean this AVX is softer than the previous AVX.

Otherwise they are just restating the obvious and previous line that the AVX is softer than the V and VX.

They also say "faster and longer", yet softer.

Confusing.

The only way it makes sense then is if  "faster and longer" is compared to older version and the "softer" is compared to V Vx?

The last paragraph is exactly what they say in the press release info in the OP. 

they also talk about how it’s improved over the previous avx. 
From core to cover, every piece of the new Titleist AVX golf ball has been reengineered to deliver improved total performance from tee to green:
• The engine of 2020 AVX – a larger, reformulated low compression core – works in combination with a redesigned high flex casing layer to deliver greater ball speed and low long game spin for more distance

I posted the compression of the 3 tour balls and it clearly shows the avx is softer than the v and 1x. 

Another example of compression from mgs ball study RX compression 100 ball speed 169.3 while BX is 111 as stated earlier with ball speed 169.97

Cant wait to try the new AVX. I previously played the V1X and struggled in the slightest amount of wind, switched to AVX and gained about 10 yards off the tee and was able to keep the ball out of the clouds. 

I haven't spent the time to really look into numbers and comparisons but just from speaking with other players, especially those with high (115+) swing speeds and high trajectories, a lot of them found the trajectory much easier to manage with the AVX compared to other tour balls. Hopefully the new ones are even better!

Ping G410 Plus 9 degree - Ventus Blue 7x

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19 degree - Tour AD 105x

Taylormade P790 3 Iron - Dynamic Gold x100

Mizuno MP-20 4-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 (4-8) s400 (9-PW)

Callaway Jaws 50,56 degree - Dynamic Gold s400

Callaway PM grind 60 degree- Dynamic Gold s400

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 

Taylormade Spider-X 

Titleist AVX

• 2 months later...

Man, I loved the trajectory of the 1st AVX, but did notice the lack of distance performance off the tee for me, and of course the lack of spin around the greens. I’m liking the trajectory of Pro V1, but not liking my ball backing-up 8-10 feet on greens.... I need to get a sleeve of these new AVX to try. Searching for the “right” ball currently. V1X goes too high for my liking, V1 doesn’t seem to be as long as what I used to play, so it’s tough to find the right mix: a little less spin off driver, same spin off long irons, less spin from wedges so the ball lands and just sits, but no loss of distance.
Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Man, I loved the trajectory of the 1st AVX, but did notice the lack of distance performance off the tee for me, and of course the lack of spin around the greens. I’m liking the trajectory of Pro V1, but not liking my ball backing-up 8-10 feet on greens.... I need to get a sleeve of these new AVX to try. Searching for the “right” ball currently. V1X goes too high for my liking, V1 doesn’t seem to be as long as what I used to play, so it’s tough to find the right mix: a little less spin off driver, same spin off long irons, less spin from wedges so the ball lands and just sits, but no loss of distance.
Ugh.

The 2020 version is legit. Pretty sure it’s my gamer for the year. I don’t think I swing fast enough or consistently enough to “lose” distance.

The trajectory is the same. Nice flat, boring flight.

I've avoided this thread waiting for folks to chime in, but under our current conditions, that might not be any time soon. 

I fell in love with the AVX and bought several dozen.  As the weather got warmer and greens hardened, I lost my love.  Mid tournament last June, I couldn't do much with these around the greens and had to borrow from my playing partner a couple ProV1's as all I had was the AVX.  Just not enough spin for me so I sold  a dozen or two of them. 

After finally reading the original post, I could see where Titleist agreed with what I thought was the issue with the ball.  My courses are staying open so I might see if I can snag a sleeve somewhere and play them.  The original version was a fantastic ball in the wind so I hope that holds true with the new version.

Edited by pulledabill

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

The 2020 version is legit. Pretty sure it’s my gamer for the year. I don’t think I swing fast enough or consistently enough to “lose” distance.

The trajectory is the same. Nice flat, boring flight.

I’m a 115 guy... Last year’s AVX was significantly longer off 7 iron than Pro V/V1X, but 7 yards shorter off driver. If these differences are tighter, I’m in for giving it a go.

Just now, pulledabill said:

I've avoided this thread waiting for folks to chime in, but under our current conditions, that might not be any time soon. 

I fell in love with the AVX and bought several dozen.  As the weather got warmer and greens hardened, I lost my love.  Mid tournament last June, I couldn't do much with these around the greens and had to borrow from my playing partner a couple ProV1's as all I had was the AVX.  Just not enough spin for me so I sold 2 a dozen or two of them. 

After finally reading the original post, I could see where Titleist agreed with what I thought was the issue with the ball.  My courses are staying open so I might see if I can snag a sleeve somewhere and play them.  The original version was a fantastic ball in the wind so I hope that holds true with the new version.

I'm with you on this. Ball was just not good on full shots into greens unless the ball was nearly plugging. I usually spin the crap out of the ball and I could never get it to stop quick enough with AVX. I was all the sudden having to play for 30ft+ of roll into greens with scoring clubs.

MGS ball test last year ended up proving that to be the case with 1,000rpm less than ProV1 or ProV1x with both 7 iron and wedge. Even if legitimate improvements have been made to help with greenside spin I just don't see how the new ball won't have the same issue

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

12 minutes ago, DPattGolf said:

I'm with you on this. Ball was just not good on full shots into greens unless the ball was nearly plugging. I usually spin the crap out of the ball and I could never get it to stop quick enough with AVX. I was all the sudden having to play for 30ft+ of roll into greens with scoring clubs.

MGS ball test last year ended up proving that to be the case with 1,000rpm less than ProV1 or ProV1x with both 7 iron and wedge. Even if legitimate improvements have been made to help with greenside spin I just don't see how the new ball won't have the same issue

Agreed.  It would have to be a big improvement.  I did enjoy the extra iron length out of them though.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I’m a 115 guy... Last year’s AVX was significantly longer off 7 iron than Pro V/V1X, but 7 yards shorter off driver. If these differences are tighter, I’m in for giving it a go.

I’m around that 113+, never been super accurate with the driver, I just hate the club. Hence the 2 irons, and 3 wood tee shots.

Definitely get an amazing ball flight with the 3 wood.

I’m around that 113+, never been super accurate with the driver, I just hate the club. Hence the 2 irons, and 3 wood tee shots.

Definitely get an amazing ball flight with the 3 wood.

That’s what made me like it so much when I first tried it, the boring ball flight! Being a high ball hitter it was a welcomed sight. I’m not accurate with driver either. Is distance from 2 iron and fairway wood off the tee better than the last model? Spin into greens?

Looking forward to trying this soon! I've bounced around between V1, V1x, and AVX. I usually get them personalized, so I have to pick one for each season. Last year was AVX, year before was V1x, year before that was V1. This year I probably need to buy a sleeve of each and play them side-by-side to figure it out!

Titleist AP2 718 - AMT White S300 Shafts, Standard Length and Lie

Rocketballz RBZ Stage 2 - 10.5 degrees, Stiff 60g Fujikura Rocketfuel Shaft

Right Handed

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Handicap - 7.8