TESTERS WANTED! ×

Off the Tee or 100 Yards In....

Golfspy_CG2

More Important to Lowering Your Score--Off the Tee or 100 Yards In  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What part of the average golfers game is the best opportunity to save strokes, getting off the tee safely-avoiding penalty strokes or having a good wedge game 100 yards in--but not counting putting, just your wedge play.

• Off the Tee No Penalties
    • 100 Yards In No chunks, skulls etc.

Gary Player once said....and I paraphrase..."if he could play an amateurs shots from 140 yards and in, he would half their handicap"

That says it all for me. Short game is King.

My local Pro has a SS of 104mph with driver and shoots under par EVERY time he plays on ANY course (caveat of bad weather or bad luck of course) His wedge game and putting are phenomenal.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Gary Player once said....and I paraphrase..."if he could play an amateurs shots from 140 yards and in, he would half their handicap"

My local Pro has a SS of 104mph with driver and shoots under par EVERY time he plays on ANY course (caveat of bad weather or bad luck of course) His wedge game and putting are phenomenal.

Question on your local pro. How many times a round is he getting up and down from 100 yards? Meaning how many greens is he missing. I bet he has a fantastic approach game. If you are hitting wedge after an approach shot, you are playing for par not birdie.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

If Gary Player hit my tee shots and second shots, I'd be scratch, I wouldn't need to chip and putt for par very often.  Great players take for granted how good their full-swing game is, but its the biggest difference between them and us mortals.  The same with your local pro, if he's under par that means he makes a significant number of birdies.  I guarantee he doesn't make many birdies after driving in the trees, or the water, or when he's missed the green in regulation, he makes birdies by hitting it close in regulation.  Of course he gets up and down a lot when he misses too.  To be under par, every part of your game has to be good.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

just fwiw...

there are some great articles that were done related to this in the labs section of the blog - https://mygolfspy.com/category/mygolfspy-labs/

look for arccos/shotscope.... 

some other really cool research out there as well!

this is interesting too - click on the 'STATS' button ... https://shotscope.com/blog/

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Penalties off the tee are my score killers. Hit it OB and it's basically a double. 100 yards in, missing the green is not so bad, all things being equal, it's just a bogey. I have much more confidence in my short game.

Last year I hit about 40% FIR, 20% were just on playable rough, 40% were either lost balls or OB. In comparison, I hit about 70% GIR when I found the fairway. From the 30% that missed the green, about 10% got up and down and the other 15% lost a stroke and 5% lost more than 2 strokes.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

22 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm in the minority so far.  Solid play off the tee, including both reasonable distance AND elimination of penalties, is critical to good scores.  I've modified this from the actual poll, avoiding penalties is easy, but many of us would need to sacrifice significant distance to do it.  No part of the game is unimportant, but the ability to drive it in play is one of the more important facets.

I'm in the same boat but its a close decision. I think the type courses we each play influences this as well.  One of the courses we play is through a residential community and has pretty tight driving corridors and OB on both sides.  And I'm talking drives that land in play but can/do roll OB.  OB drives (or even 2nd shots) are score killers.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, Kanoito said:

Penalties off the tee are my score killers. Hit it OB and it's basically a double. 100 yards in, missing the green is not so bad, all things being equal, it's just a bogey. I have much more confidence in my short game.

Last year I hit about 40% FIR, 20% were just on playable rough, 40% were either lost balls or OB. In comparison, I hit about 70% GIR when I found the fairway. From the 30% that missed the green, about 10% got up and down and the other 15% lost a stroke and 5% lost more than 2 strokes.

That used to be my case--penalties off the tee--but as mentioned in my earlier post that isn't so much the case anymore.   But I've played with a few guys who are very solid off the tee, but put them in a green side bunker, and I promise you they are not getting up and down in any less than 4 shots, at least two of those coming from the bunker.  

So one thing reading all these replies has shown, which I figured would be the case.  It's very much player dependent. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Question on your local pro. How many times a round is he getting up and down from 100 yards? Meaning how many greens is he missing. I bet he has a fantastic approach game. If you are hitting wedge after an approach shot, you are playing for par not birdie.

Driver and wedges are key strengths for him, havent seen him miss a fairway but only played 3 times with him

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

If you are hitting wedge after an approach shot, you are playing for par not birdie.

... This is a great point and really drives home the short game importance. When I am swinging well I am hitting a lot of greens with plenty of birdie opportunities. When I am swinging poorly I am saving par. Hitting a big drive in the middle of the fairway assures me of nothing. We have all hit a great drive then squandered our approach shot. It is almost impossible to squander a great pitch or chip that results in a tap in or very short putt. I have always felt the biggest difference between low and high index players is the ability to get up and down when playing poorly so the difference between your best and worst holes is minimal for most low index players.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

there's nothing wrong with getting a par.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

My vote is "Off the tee no penalties".  My driver is a blessing and a curse.  If I keep it in play within reason, I'm going to have a wedge in my hand on +90% of par 4s in my area and a good chance to be on or around the green in 2 on par 5s.  Even if I miss the green, I've still got a great shot at getting up and down.  It's why I've really started working on course management and playing my 3 wood or DI off the tee more often if trouble is present.  It may take birdie off the table on some holes, but making par is better than a double bogey every day of the week.  If my driver is off, it's a given that I'm going to struggle to score, no matter how good I'm hitting everything else.

I saw something on another site in the past that was talking about how much more difficult it is to find fairways the farther you hit.  Essentially, a face/path ratio of 3 degrees when carrying the ball 270 yards is a lot more drastic than being off 3 degrees face to path when carrying 200 yards.  Granted, 3 degrees is a pretty bad miss, but that miss is amplified the further you hit.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

said Nick Faldo..................😉

and he was right

Best thing that I have read today...

“Higher handicap players know how to take a four or five and turn it into a six,” said GOLF Top 100 Teacher Tony Ruggiero. 

TRUTH

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Lets look at this Mathematically. 72 strokes is par. Yes, I know par can be just about anything between 66-72.. But most are 72..  2 putt every green there are Half your strokes.. Again, I know some people are better putters or hit it closer. So now we have 18 tee shots and 18 Approach" shots..  How many of us could Live with, not like but live with 20 off the tee, 1 penalty each side, or punch out but an extra stroke... that doesn't seem terrible, not great but mostly livable.. .. But lets be realistic MOST of us would be farting Rainbows and glitter if we could get the rest of our round done with 18 strokes, Hell 20... I do realize of those 20 strokes not off the tee or putting, some are from further then 100 yds.. I think most of us would agree we give up more strokes in the approach shot category then anywhere else..  Just my thoughts, I would love to be confidant that I could get around in 18 approach shot per round..

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Fun question
strokes-gained-spreadsheet-with-regard-t

Scoring gains are relative to the individual golfer’s ability.  Strokes gained (SG) Exposes quality of shot based on lie and proximity to the hole.  Thus, course setup is important too.  It is interesting that an approach 160 fairway is equivalent to 90 deep rough or 50 sand to leave a 30’ putt.  The  following links to SG charts are helpful in seeing the significance of shots (Tee to green & putting).  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxFSlVhPo9ObWmZKd3B4eV84Q1U/

https://eyelinegolf.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/strokes-gained-putting_-baseline-probabilities-chart-pgatour-com-1.jpg

The current state of my game reveals my approach shots (120 to 180) are more important to lowering my scores.  This glaringly obvious when I play forward tees or have a great driving day.

“Think well of all, be patient with all, and try to find the good in all.”-- Muhammad Ali

⛳ WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD Gloss 70;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD LE 60; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; Wedges: S23, 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, One Step, Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; -Vessel Tour stand bag; Pro LX+ with H4; 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

From the ShotScope blogs Stroker referenced above - Article

Greens in regulation is a stat that comes hand in hand with approach shots. This traditional statistic is built by firstly hitting a tee shot that enables you to hit the green, then by hitting your second shot onto the green (on a par 4).

Shot Scope data has revealed there is a significant decrease in GIR percentage between an 8 and a 14 handicapper. Why? It is mainly due to the fact that, generally, a 14 handicapper won’t hit it quite as far and can’t reach some holes in regulation. Alternatively, it can be that the higher handicap player is less likely to keep the ball in play off the tee, which means they have no shot to the green with their 2nd shot and have no choice but to lay up/chip out.

We like the fact that MGS is data driven, right?  Shot Scope has your data.

What makes for a great debate is we’re all individuals, all different.  My strength (if I had any,) is your weakness.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Edited by toehold57

To make this point a little clearer, imagine Tiger hitting 36 shots, the regulation number off of each tee, and I'll play the rest of the way into the hole.  I'll have a bunch of birdie looks, and a good number of short chips to get up and down for par or better.  Then lets imagine ME hitting those same 36 shots, and Tiger finishing out (poor guy!).  He's going start after I've had a penalty stroke or two, a few chips out of the trees, and he'll be trying to get up and down from 50 or 100 yards for par way too often.  The first team will beat the second team every time.

This is a great illustration - of course Tiger would also play his approach shots a bit more conservatively if he knew that he had to deal with our short games. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

How about looking at it this way:

According to my shot tracking system -
The longest club in my bag hits the ball 230 yards pretty straight with very few penalties.

With putter from 24 feet I one putt a bit under 10 percent of the time.

My handicap index is currently 6.0

A top touring pro’s drive goes 310 relatively straight with very few penalties

He holes a bit more than 10 percent of his putts from 24 feet.

His advantage with driver has already eliminated 20 percent of the course yardage - people make fun of me for this argument but it’s a course - if I hit the clubs that cover large distances well the shorter ones have a much easier job to perform.

Having written that it remains “simpler” for most people to improve by working on their short game. I just don’t think they will take the steps necessary to do it. Lesson and practice (an investment of $50 or so)

To improve driving takes working out, lessons and practice - hundreds if not thousands of dollars - highly unlikely

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 hours ago, toehold57 said:

From the ShotScope blogs Stroker referenced above - Article

Greens in regulation is a stat that comes hand in hand with approach shots. This traditional statistic is built by firstly hitting a tee shot that enables you to hit the green, then by hitting your second shot onto the green (on a par 4).

Shot Scope data has revealed there is a significant decrease in GIR percentage between an 8 and a 14 handicapper. Why? It is mainly due to the fact that, generally, a 14 handicapper won’t hit it quite as far and can’t reach some holes in regulation. Alternatively, it can be that the higher handicap player is less likely to keep the ball in play off the tee, which means they have no shot to the green with their 2nd shot and have no choice but to lay up/chip out.

We like the fact that MGS is data driven, right?  Shot Scope has your data.

What makes for a great debate is we’re all individuals, all different.  My strength (if I had any,) is your weakness.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

👆

I think the #1 imperative (short/long/mid/approach) - is clear.... get the ball in play and keep it in play.

Once you can master that you can start to work on distance and short game.  Until then you're kind of just spinning your wheels.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

On 1/23/2020 at 9:09 AM, DaveP043 said:

To make this point a little clearer, imagine Tiger hitting 36 shots, the regulation number off of each tee, and I'll play the rest of the way into the hole.  I'll have a bunch of birdie looks, and a good number of short chips to get up and down for par or better.  Then lets imagine ME hitting those same 36 shots, and Tiger finishing out (poor guy!).  He's going start after I've had a penalty stroke or two, a few chips out of the trees, and he'll be trying to get up and down from 50 or 100 yards for par way too often.  The first team will beat the second team every time.

Since I’ve been sucked into this topic, another set of data points, sorta.  I don’t really have a dog in this hunt but it’s fun to play along 😁

A couple of videos that tested this hypothesis from Golf Sidekick-

and

Edited by toehold57

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Having written that it remains “simpler” for most people to improve by working on their short game. I just don’t think they will take the steps necessary to do it. Lesson and practice (an investment of $50 or so)

To improve driving takes working out, lessons and practice - hundreds if not thousands of dollars

Agreed.  During warm weather I can spend an evening chipping and putting at a lighted driving range (we only have one here) at zero cost besides time.

To work on the top end of the bag requires costs beyond time.  A lot of folks will hesitate.

Another data point of one.  I invested $200 at my local 1st Tee for a season pass at their indoor practice facility and have been going 2-3 times a week since November.  According to the ‘About Golf’ launch monitors (not the best in the world) my game has picked up significantly.  Swing speed on irons and woods are up 5-10mph, and climbing.  Dispersion and spin is headed in the right direction as well.  This is without any lessons.

I was able to play last week for the first time in a month and the improvements indoors carried over.  Ball striking was much improved, consistency shot over shot as well.  It was fun to see, despite 40 degree temps and frozen greens.

My takeaway is I have to put in the time if my game is going to improve.  Unless I do the work I’ll remain a hack, I have higher ambitions *for myself*

Might have wandered a little off topic here...

"Since I’ve been sucked into this topic, another set of data points, sorta.  I don’t really have a dog in this hunt but it’s fun to play along 😁  A couple of videos that tested this hypothesis from Golf Sidekick-"

... Thanks for those. Excellent illustration as well as an enjoyable watch! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 1/24/2020 at 10:57 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Pars are my 🐦

On 1/24/2020 at 10:42 AM, chisag said:

... This is a great point and really drives home the short game importance. When I am swinging well I am hitting a lot of greens with plenty of birdie opportunities. When I am swinging poorly I am saving par. Hitting a big drive in the middle of the fairway assures me of nothing. We have all hit a great drive then squandered our approach shot. It is almost impossible to squander a great pitch or chip that results in a tap in or very short putt. I have always felt the biggest difference between low and high index players is the ability to get up and down when playing poorly so the difference between your best and worst holes is minimal for most low index players.

Your very last point made is spot on. Bogey, par, par, quadruple is not a rare occurrence on a scorecard for me.    I can build a snowman in the middle of summer all with the swing of a golf club.  

On 1/24/2020 at 4:32 PM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Best thing that I have read today...

“Higher handicap players know how to take a four or five and turn it into a six,” said GOLF Top 100 Teacher Tony Ruggiero. 

TRUTH

If high scores were a profession, you could call me Tiger.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

No matter what you do off the tee, your short game will save you strokes. Bad tee shot but solid short game can still be par. Great tee shot but bad short game can be double bogey.

Ultimately, the 100 yard in game is more important.

Sent from my SM-G975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

9 hours ago, ga_pike said:

No matter what you do off the tee, your short game will save you strokes. Bad tee shot but solid short game can still be par. Great tee shot but bad short game can be double bogey.

Ultimately, the 100 yard in game is more important.

Bad tee shots, OB or lost, means a struggle for double most times.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

21 hours ago, toehold57 said:

Since I’ve been sucked into this topic, another set of data points, sorta.  I don’t really have a dog in this hunt but it’s fun to play along 😁

A couple of videos that tested this hypothesis from Golf Sidekick-

I need to watch those again, I did a while ago.  If my memory serves me right, they started from an assumption, and designed their "experiment" in a way to support that assumption.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I voted off the tee, and here's why.  The way the question is written we are only talking about getting safely off the tee (no penalty, no tree's, didn't top it or chunk it) vs 100yds and in wedge game.

Realistically how often are you hitting your 2nd shot from 100yds and in?  The only way most AM's are hitting this shot is if they miss a green.  We get 18 tee shots in a round.  So if you even only hit 3 GIN, that's 15 times you are hitting wedge from 100yds and in.  If you are safe off every single tee box I"m guessing that GIN number will increase as well so then you hit even less shots from 100yds and in.

So the way the question is worded for the average golfer, off the tee should absolutely be the answer.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

2 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

I voted off the tee, and here's why.  The way the question is written we are only talking about getting safely off the tee (no penalty, no tree's, didn't top it or chunk it) vs 100yds and in wedge game.

Realistically how often are you hitting your 2nd shot from 100yds and in?  The only way most AM's are hitting this shot is if they miss a green.  We get 18 tee shots in a round.  So if you even only hit 3 GIN, that's 15 times you are hitting wedge from 100yds and in.  If you are safe off every single tee box I"m guessing that GIN number will increase as well so then you hit even less shots from 100yds and in.

So the way the question is worded for the average golfer, off the tee should be absolutely be the answer.

I tend to agree.

Nuclear holes almost always result from errant drives.

On a scary tight driving hole, it would be easy to take oneself out of the hole with one swing.

I'd slap a driving iron safely onto the short grass, disaster avoided, but now I have an approach shot of well over 100 yards.

Let's say I don't make the GIR.

A bad pitch, chip, cut lob, sand shot, or even lag putt might cost you a shot.

An errant drive could cost you a snowman.

1 hour ago, hckymeyer said:

So the way the question is worded for the average golfer, off the tee should absolutely be the answer.

Fair point on the wording.  My intent more simply was.  What is more important the short--game---considering putting as its own category---or tee game.  Ultimately we know they are all important.   And has been mentioned several times, It will likely be different for each person. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12