Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wilson FG Tour F5 anybody?

azstu324

I realize these aren't relevant in 2020 if you're into new stuff.. but last 5 years.. hell  last 10 years is still relevant today whether we want to admit it or not. If I had a chance to buy a mint set that happens to be my length and flex specs for a cool buck 25, would I be making a wise purchase?

Here's some info to help with an answer. I currently play Maltby DBMs (imagine forged game improvement blade) that's the best that I can describe it. For funsies I also play Cleveland TA1s on occasion (imagine small MB blade and then make it smaller). 

I don't mind a slightly thicker top line but just don't want any longer of a heel to toe or height profile. I'm one of those rare weirdos who actually play better with smaller clubs. 

Am I pending $ for the sake of a good deal or would I actually be making a sound purchase? Subjective and objective POVs appreciated. 

Thx brosephs!

Wilson-Staff-FG-Tour-irons-7.jpg

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I play the shiny brother of your irons (TE Forged) and went through a fitting a few years ago for the FG Tour F5.  That was a mystifying experience as it did not matter what shaft we tried, that head felt terrible to me and the dispersion was worse than the TE Forged by a wide amount.  I really wanted them as I grew up with Wilsons.  They do have a really high COG and a fairly short blade length (at least compared to our irons) so that might explain the poor feel and lesser forgiveness.

I play the shiny brother of your irons (TE Forged) and went through a fitting a few years ago for the FG Tour F5.  That was a mystifying experience as it did not matter what shaft we tried, that head felt terrible to me and the dispersion was worse than the TE Forged by a wide amount.  I really wanted them as I grew up with Wilsons.  They do have a really high COG and a fairly short blade length (at least compared to our irons) so that might explain the poor feel and lesser forgiveness.
Great response! And thank you. Ralph Maltby really has done a magical thing with the TE/DBM models. From what I've read, the other single forged irons are fantastic too.

I don't think I'll ever look to replace my DBMs but it's fun to have a another car in the garage.

Lately I've been splitting my set with 7-PW TA1s and 4-6 DBMs. It's a fun combo that works well.

1012191949.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG