TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lesson advice for a mid- handicapper

A little insight about my game to help with suggestions. I picked up golf in my college days, and I have never had a formal lesson.  I have naturally had power and decent contact of the ball. Once I joined the military I played very little and kind of lost my natural swing. As of late, I have tried some drills and online things to try to help, but now I just overthink everything and my swing is much to rigid. I am now losing the ball every way possible.  Which is why I would like some professional help. I live in a medium size city, but not a lot of options as far as PGA instructors. I am mostly curious as to the differences of my local pro versus say something along the lines of something like GOLFTEC and even a golf academy that offers lessons where they record my swing and shows me the dynamics of the swing, and where I need to improve. I am a visual learner, that is why golftec is intriguing. Also, I know there is a way of finding PGA pros near me, I'm just not sure of how to find that information.   I am 30 years old, and just wanting to play better, because playing well is fun.  So please any advice, or experiences with golftec would be much appreciated. 

Also, since this will be my first formal lesson, any advice on how to prepare or what I need to get the most out of my lesson.  Thanks spies

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

1 hour ago, cjeffs12 said:

Also, since this will be my first formal lesson, any advice on how to prepare or what I need to get the most out of my lesson.  Thanks spies

Yes....  Put aside all of your preconceived ideas and listen.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I've done GolfTec and it helped A TON. I did a package of lessons with a fitting at the very end to get my specs for a updated set. If you go this route, I'd recommend getting a lesson every 2-3 weeks and go in to use the hitting bays between so you can practice and see what you're doing. the visual feedback was super helpful for me and they'll give you 1-2 things to work on between the sessions.

Good luck and enjoy.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Yes....  Put aside all of your preconceived ideas and listen.  

This right here.

Use your military experience and let your instructor teach you.

The only thing I’d add is that any decent teacher will ask you what your goals are. I’d suggest setting ones that are tangible and reasonable.

Good luck
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I am a fan of NOT doing the online thing but going to a local PGA professional.  I like one on one interaction.  I like learning from them, practicing what they showed me and then telling them about a particular shot I hit because of a drill they gave me.  They tend to take more of a personal interest in my game then an online instructor.  I would go to a course and find a PGA pro, be honest with them about goals and let them do their thing.  Become a blank canvas.  Typically, they will have you hit some shots so they can just look at your swing then go from there.  Some will focus on the short game first and work up to the long game, some will start with the long game and work towards the short game.  Like it was stated earlier, just go in open minded.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

A pro can teach you in 5 minutes what will take you month to figure out on your own. Pay da man.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

5 hours ago, McaseyM said:

I've done GolfTec and it helped A TON. I did a package of lessons with a fitting at the very end to get my specs for a updated set. If you go this route, I'd recommend getting a lesson every 2-3 weeks and go in to use the hitting bays between so you can practice and see what you're doing. the visual feedback was super helpful for me and they'll give you 1-2 things to work on between the sessions.

Good luck and enjoy.

Thank you, I haven't even thought about how long between lessons I should spread them out. I will look into the lesson plans with a fitting after, that makes a lot of sense. 

5 hours ago, bens197 said:

The only thing I’d add is that any decent teacher will ask you what your goals are. I’d suggest setting ones that are tangible and reasonable.

Good luck emoji1598.png

Thank you, I will be sure put some thought into those and have them ready. 

4 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I am a fan of NOT doing the online thing but going to a local PGA professional.  I like one on one interaction.  I like learning from them, practicing what they showed me and then telling them about a particular shot I hit because of a drill they gave me.  They tend to take more of a personal interest in my game then an online instructor.  I would go to a course and find a PGA pro, be honest with them about goals and let them do their thing.  Become a blank canvas.  Typically, they will have you hit some shots so they can just look at your swing then go from there.  Some will focus on the short game first and work up to the long game, some will start with the long game and work towards the short game.  Like it was stated earlier, just go in open minded.  

Thank you for all the advise, I really do like the idea of the one on one, and it being hands on. Short game, long game they have plenty to work with on me for sure. I am going to open my mind and have my goals and go to work.  

1 hour ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

A pro can teach you in 5 minutes what will take you month to figure out on your own. Pay da man.

Take Dead Aim

That is awesome!!! 

As a high handicapper who went down the YouTube rabbit hole before getting in-person lessons, don't go in thinking you know what's wrong. Let THEM tell you.

Also, it's OK if you don't click with someone. Pros have different ways of teaching. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

10 hours ago, cjeffs12 said:

I am mostly curious as to the differences of my local pro versus say something along the lines of something like GOLFTEC and even a golf academy that offers lessons where they record my swing and shows me the dynamics of the swing, and where I need to improve. 

Also, I know there is a way of finding PGA pros near me, I'm just not sure of how to find that information.   I am 30 years old, and just wanting to play better, because playing well is fun. 

So please any advice, or experiences with golftec would be much appreciated. 

You asked several questions so here are my thoughts on each.  

1.  There are lots of options for lessions.  GolfTec, golf academies, and even local pros.   Generally all will use video to show you what you are doing;  my instructor uses his phone to film and show me things.  There is a recent thread on the forum discussing GolfTec lessons.  My suggestion is to do a google search for local pros.  Then conduct an interview and ask them their approach to instruction.  Maybe invest in a short lesson where they will look at your swing and give you some input in what their plan would be.  

2.  How to find pros:  Use google and enter your city and golf lessons.   You will start to find those around you and even some reviews.  Also go to your local course websites and see what they offer.

3. Here is the thread on GolfTec.  I did a swing eval there about 10 years ago;  the tech is interesting but for me the lesson packages were a bit expensive and I didn't live close enough to take advantage of the practice time.  

4.  Relax and enjoy the experience.  Have an idea of what you want to accomplish and communicate with the instructor.  If you don't understand something as for more clarification or to have the instructor explain differently.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

54 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

As a high handicapper who went down the YouTube rabbit hole before getting in-person lessons, don't go in thinking you know what's wrong. Let THEM tell you.

Also, it's OK if you don't click with someone. Pros have different ways of teaching. 

Interesting about not going in thinking I know what's wrong, and it makes complete sense, and I am glad you shared that with me. 

44 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You asked several questions so here are my thoughts on each.  

1.  There are lots of options for lessions.  GolfTec, golf academies, and even local pros.   Generally all will use video to show you what you are doing;  my instructor uses his phone to film and show me things.  There is a recent thread on the forum discussing GolfTec lessons.  My suggestion is to do a google search for local pros.  Then conduct an interview and ask them their approach to instruction.  Maybe invest in a short lesson where they will look at your swing and give you some input in what their plan would be.  

2.  How to find pros:  Use google and enter your city and golf lessons.   You will start to find those around you and even some reviews.  Also go to your local course websites and see what they offer.

3. Here is the thread on GolfTec.  I did a swing eval there about 10 years ago;  the tech is interesting but for me the lesson packages were a bit expensive and I didn't live close enough to take advantage of the practice time.  

4.  Relax and enjoy the experience.  Have an idea of what you want to accomplish and communicate with the instructor.  If you don't understand something as for more clarification or to have the instructor explain differently.  

Thank you for all the helpful thoughts, I have begun looking at golftec, and the local pros. The golftec is a bit pricey and far from home as well.  I have begun looking at my local pros and seeing which would be a good fit. I like the relax part, definitely been missing in my game lately 

Interesting about not going in thinking I know what's wrong, and it makes complete sense, and I am glad you shared that with me. 

My experience was going in with a massive slice. I was trying all sorts of crap I saw on videos with stronger grip, rotating arms, closing the face, etc etc etc. Drove me nuts. I went into long detailed explanations with the second pro I saw, and then he had me hit. 3 balls in he said “your shoulders are pointing 30 yards left of target. Your slice has nothing to do with anything you’re trying”. A setup change and what do you know - my banana slice is now a slight fade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

21 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

My experience was going in with a massive slice. I was trying all sorts of crap I saw on videos with stronger grip, rotating arms, closing the face, etc etc etc. Drove me nuts. I went into long detailed explanations with the second pro I saw, and then he had me hit. 3 balls in he said “your shoulders are pointing 30 yards left of target. Your slice has nothing to do with anything you’re trying”. A setup change and what do you know - my banana slice is now a slight fade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that’s awesome! It sounds a lot what I am going through. Very excited to start this

• 2 weeks later...

I had seen many golfers whom had similar issues as you are experiencing.

Overwhelmed by information and not able to digest, which in term killed what they naturally have before the confusion.

There is no problem if you understand a few things.

One, there is not boxed solution to propel you to instant improvement in golf.  No matter if you practice with or without lessons from a professional.

Secondly, there is no magic beyond practice with the correct fundamentals.  If you're going to a professional for lessons, they will probably first look at your hands on the grip, your posture , alignment and the mechanics of taking the golf club to the top and returning it to the golf ball.  Everything in between will be for fine tuning.

There is no reason why you could not figure it out by yourself with the right grip, stance, posture and weight shift.  But this journey will be long and difficult.  Ask yourself whether you like hitting practice balls by the thousands per week ?   If not, lessons from a professional will shorten the journey but you'll still need to practice, a lot, to own the golf swing.

If you're budget minded, a group lesson at your public golf courses or a private lesson with professional could both benefit you.  If the instructor is certified and trained by the PGA, there should not be a major variables between different instructors.  If you spring for private lesson, look for someone whom understand that one size of pants will not fit all the users.  Once you grooved with the basics, then individually tailored lessons will benefit your game the most.

Again, too many information will only confuse a golfer.  you can only grsp one or two idea in one session. Master it to make the new idea automatic before getting on with the next one.