TESTERS WANTED! ×

Loft-jacked distance irons

lgv44

17 hours ago, silver & black said:

So...... I have a question about fitting. I have buddies that spent a lot of money to get fit, only to be disappointed after the fact. I read all the the time on here how important it is to get fit.... it's the default answer to every question asked.

How does one determine that the person doing the fitting knows what he/she is doing? I haven't gotten "fit" because I have limited funds to "waste" on non productive "things".... not just golf related. I would definitely find the money, IF I were positively sure it would make a significant difference in my play.

I'm just not convinced it's a  valid expenditure.

I can only offer that I too was in the dubious category with regards to club fitting.  No doubt most of this was simply due to my equally dubious position that new technology was going to offer improved performance.  Now having been through two iron and one driver fitting sessions, I am solidly in the "get fitted" camp and that 20+ year newer equipment yields better performance.  The technology, principally launch monitor equipment, coupled with the modular mix n' match club head and shaft capability is really solid.

You absolutely do bring up a valid question/concern about fitter competence.  I'm not sure what if any standard is used to attain the moniker "golf fitter".  Do the OEM's require those selling their products (using their fitting kiosks) to have gone through some certification course?  The guy I used in Bozeman, MT has 'PGA' next to his name on his business card, plays semi pro golf in the Rocky Mountain Division, teaches golf, and lists Callaway Master Fitting Certification... no idea about the guy on the Dicks Sports TV commercial.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Toward the end of my playing days, I just took gapping issues as a fact of life. 

I was always going to have them, because I didn't take them into consideration  when configuring a set.

I'd stuff my bag with stuff that I liked. 

If the look and feel of a club gave my confidence, it would find it's way into my bag without consideration as to how it fit into the set.

I would have a big cart bag stuffed with fourteen clubs and still have to attempt contrived shots as if I were playing with six clubs in a pencil bag.

There was always a driving iron that I'd never try to hit from the fairway and a sand iron that I'd never hit from the grass.

There was always a high loft fairway wood that I could hit from the rough or over trees.

There was always a high loft, low bounce wedge that wasn't fabulous for full shots but was great near the greens when I short-sided myself with my miss.

I liked this stuff, and it if didn't really come together to make a balanced set with linear loft progression, I still played better because I had specific shots covered with clubs that gave me confidence.

[Forget that I'd then go onto an internet forum and complain about the fourteen club rule because it gave me gapping issues.]

Reading the posts on this forum, it doesn't seem like many of us go about it that way.  Most likely for the best.

But even if my way was clearly not the right way as recommended by fitters and instructors, I was never going to be a scratch player anyway.

This was the best way for me to play my potentially best golf.

hahaha very good- one 'slight' inaccuracy is the Scots first referenced 'gowf' in 1260 (a year before the finger in the dyke country) when they would go gowf hunting chasing haggis in the Scottish Highlands with a club a bit like the Irish shillelagh walking stick. Once captured they would use the poor Haggis body and try and hit it back into it's den/hole, the chaser that did it in the least number of 'hits' was the winner.

As Michael Caine would say.........."there's not a lot of people know that..."

This sounds like an argument over who first discovered golf! I have Viking blood, so I’m going with my first post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 1/25/2020 at 5:47 PM, chisag said:

... With a qualified fitter it is almost always a valid expenditure, and even more so if you have never been fit. Again, almost all of my fittings have been beneficial and on point. Here are two stories that illustrate why I say almost

... I was doing a MP59 review many years ago. I was already playing MP63's so I knew my specs. I had fit myself with the use of a LM and I was playing KBS Tour, 1/2" long and soft stepped once and was very happy with them. I met the Mizuno rep and he put me through a fitting culminating with the Optomizer. At the end, his recommendation was KBS Tour, 1/2" long and soft stepped once. I had told him nothing and did not have my irons with me so I was extremely impressed.

... At the PGA Show, TaylorMade fit for me for a driver to review. I hit the RBZ and the R1 with a myriad of shafts. To my naked eye, it looked like the RBZ had a slightly higher trajectory and carried farther. But according to the numbers, the R1 was a hair higher and spun 500rpms less. It not only carried farther by a few yards, it had more roll because of the Angle Of Descent and reduced spin. The R1 was clearly the better performing driver for me, even though I liked the look/sound/feel of the RBZ just a little better. . But playing it on the course once it arrived, I had a hard time keeping it in play. My trajectory was lower than I liked to see and I missed both left and right, which is rare because my usual miss is just left. After trying to force myself to like it for a month, I called the VP of Marketing at TaylorMade and let him know my struggles with the R1. I told him I liked the look, the feel and the trajectory of the RBZ so he sent me the head since I was already in the right shaft. I liked it better the very first round and my accuracy returned. It hurt me a little into the wind and with soft fairways because my AOD was a little steep with a little more than ideal spin, but everything else was excellent. 

... There is simply no way for a fitter to know a club may be a bad match for reasons other than performance with a LM. Standing in one spot and grooving a swing tells you a clubs potential, but taking it to the course and using it off the tee once per hole where accuracy, wind and hazards come into play is a different animal. I know there are players that don't care what a club looks like at address, how it feels or sounds IF it performs well. I have always admired those players. But most of us care and if a club does not look/feel or sound right, we will usually start losing confidence in it if we are hitting it poorly. Most likely our swing is the culprit but the club gets the blame because there was always that little nagging thought that it just isn't quite right.

... Again, the majority of the time a fitting will put you in the best position to succeed with any given club(s) and you should always let your fitter know if you have any reservations about the look/sound/feel and they will use that information. But I think most of the time you see someone struggle with their new fitted clubs, it is because they are still tied too their old clubs or something about the new club just produced a sliver of doubt that blossomed until they lost confidence. 

... But if you have never been fit and even relatively serious about your game and equipment, I think a fitting is an absolute must. Worst case scenario is it confirms what you already know and best case is you are playing the wrong clubs/shafts for your swing. 

You summed it up pretty well there my friend. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 1/25/2020 at 7:01 PM, Rickp said:

You and me both emoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

You can bet your sweet bippy I know every loft and lie on every club in my bag and what I have the potential to do with them. But then again I build and set up all my clubs. Now Swing Weights I could not tell you on because I do not SW my personal stuff on a machine I do it strictly by feel and ball flight. Also shaft kick on the bottom end for ball flight ties in with the weight selection. I will say that a lot of stuff I do on my personal stuff I would not attempt to do on some one else's stuff. I have also been known to have some funky lie numbers in other words not the traditional 1/2 degree separation between clubs on my personal stuff. But then again I love to experiment and tune and have always thought out side the box

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 1/25/2020 at 4:29 PM, silver & black said:

So...... I have a question about fitting. I have buddies that spent a lot of money to get fit, only to be disappointed after the fact. I read all the the time on here how important it is to get fit.... it's the default answer to every question asked.

How does one determine that the person doing the fitting knows what he/she is doing? I haven't gotten "fit" because I have limited funds to "waste" on non productive "things".... not just golf related. I would definitely find the money, IF I were positively sure it would make a significant difference in my play.

I'm just not convinced it's a  valid expenditure.

You and I have the same outlook on all of this.  And yes, I have a buddy who went down to Club Champion and dropped like $3k on new clubs from top to bottom.  I'm sorry pal, good for you, but I work for a living.

Ultimately I let my wallet speak first, and everything else is just noise.  As an example, I have been getting REALLY poor results with the PING G400 4 Crossover.  So much so that I chunked one 30 yards into a penalty area the other day, never to be found again.  This was on a 2nd shot into what should have been a reachable par 5.  So I got mad, and decided to dig into my stash of old clubs in my house and pulled out a similar club that I used to hit, and hit good.  I took it to the range yesterday, and as of today I have fired my 4 Crossover due to poor results.  I was nutting my old Mizuno Fli Hi 21° that a friend sold me for $40 (Um, yes, that would be you @ga_pike) some years ago.  So the Mizuno is back in the bag until it pisses me off, and then I'll forget how crappy I hit the PING Crossover and probably throw it back in the bag.

But the pain and frustration of dropping crazy money on a fitting isn't lost on me here.  This is especially after I got fitted for my PING G irons.  I'm not averse to investing in good clubs if the fitting shows me something I hadn't seen before, but I just don't have a ton of money sitting around to buy golf clubs with, so I'll pass for now.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

On 1/25/2020 at 7:17 PM, Middler said:

There are more bad fitters than good, and the odds are worse if you’re getting a free fitting - but you could get lucky there too. And if your swing isn’t repeatable, there’s a good chance new custom fitted clubs won’t make any difference, even if Ian Fraser does the fitting. Even in the best of circumstances better fitting clubs will yield a couple strokes unless you’re old clubs are completely wrong, not likely. Buying the best tools possible doesn’t make you a carpenter or cabinetmaker...but people want to believe otherwise, many are easily swayed.

Who here doesn’t know a player with all the best custom fitted golf clubs, apparel and equipment who averages about 95?

What's wrong with averaging a 95?  😁

On 1/25/2020 at 8:57 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

What if they were shooting 100+ prior to the fitting 😜

I like this logic.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

You can bet your sweet bippy I know every loft and lie on every club in my bag and what I have the potential to do with them. But then again I build and set up all my clubs. Now Swing Weights I could not tell you on because I do not SW my personal stuff on a machine I do it strictly by feel and ball flight. Also shaft kick on the bottom end for ball flight ties in with the weight selection. I will say that a lot of stuff I do on my personal stuff I would not attempt to do on some one else's stuff. I have also been known to have some funky lie numbers in other words not the traditional 1/2 degree separation between clubs on my personal stuff. But then again I love to experiment and tune and have always thought out side the box

I used to know my numbers and tinker, especially putters/wedges but I had a Toolroom at my disposal.
Sometimes I think I liked the tinkering more than playing.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Guy joins forum.

Guy's first thread "jacked lofts"

Guy watches forum members rant and rave liked rabid animals.

Guy leaves forum.

Got eeeemmmm......

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Guy joins forum.
Guy leaves forum.

Got eeeemmmm......

Hmmmmm

Rick

Left Hand, 

Guy joins forum.
Guy leaves forum.

Got eeeemmmm......

Is that our version of click bait?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

But the pain and frustration of dropping crazy money on a fitting isn't lost on me here.  This is especially after I got fitted for my PING G irons.  I'm not averse to investing in good clubs if the fitting shows me something I hadn't seen before, but I just don't have a ton of money sitting around to buy golf clubs with, so I'll pass for now.

Thank you. I'm not averse to getting fit, I just prsonally feel it's sort of a fad that will pass..... if that makes sense, or resonates with anyone else. I know the fitteres on here and the people that have had success with "fitting" will vehemetly disaggree. I just remain unconvinced that My own "feeling" when trying clubs is substantually different that what a fitter tells me..

I my very well be wrong, and I freely admit that. But through my whole life, my gut feeling on things has rearely been wrong.

Edited by silver & black
context

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

I used to know my numbers and tinker, especially putters/wedges but I had a Toolroom at my disposal.

This is why I don't dwell on that stuff (golf related). I tend to be exteremely anal about the "tools" I use to make a living. I really try hard not to do that with the tools I use to have fun/a good time with. I love to PLAY golf. I don't need/want other disractions that prevent me from ENJOYING my time on the course/with the game.

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

Thank you. I'm not averse to getting fit, I just prsonally feel it's sort of a fad that will pass..... if that makes sense, or resonates with anyone else. I know the fitteres on here and the people that have had success with "fitting" will vehemetly disaggree. I just remain unconvinced that My own "feeling" when trying clubs is substantually different that what a fitter tells me..

I my very well be wrong, and I freely admit that. But through my whole life, my gut feeling on things has rearely been wrong.

That’s why it’s important to communicate your feeling and/or thoughts yo the fitter. So many go into a fitting scared to talk and the fitter can only go by what he sees.

The chances of fittings 1) being a fad 2) going away are slim to none. Everyone’s entitled to an informed opinion but don’t knock it til you try it 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

18 hours ago, silver & black said:

I tend to go by my gut feeling on setting up my sticks---- But I will admit I have been wrong and have 2 staff bags full of failed experiments to prove it. My one bud I used to race with refers to it as "Over Engineering" Yeah I was bad about doing it racing too. But my theory has always been you never know until you try. 

G

21 hours ago, Rickp said:

Yep I love to tinker almost as much as playing and I am always substituting something in the bag from week to week since I play for fun now. The last few weeks I have been messing with an old Adams Boxer Hybrid ( 19*) I found at work. Hit it pretty good until last week. Now I am messing around with a Adams Pro (20*) Hybrid I found on a course with a broken shaft. I have put a TM R flex Hybrid shaft in it and then again there is my 19* Adams 5 wood--- Oh well it is a few days to Saturday 

G

On 1/27/2020 at 5:23 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

Guy joins forum.

Guy leaves forum.

Got eeeemmmm......

LOL, I did read the first page of responses, which basically answered the question.  Then I left town on business.  Just got back and checked the thread again to see it went down the "value of fitting" rabbit hole.   I've had two great fittings and two not so great fittings, so I am ambivalent on fittings.  I love my Aerotech i95, but thinking about moving to i80 or higher flying FC version since age has caught up to me a bit.  FYI, age 61, medium to just under medium ball flight, 7 iron just over 150 yards.

On 1/27/2020 at 7:27 PM, silver & black said:

I'm going to bet that the vast majority of us on this forum know much more about what we do (or did) for our day jobs than we know about clubfitting.  I'm a big believer in taking advantage of other people's expertise when you're making an investment.  Then again, I sell and manage consulting for a software company, so I suppose I'm a bit biased toward experts.

Others have talked about talking with your fitter, and this is crucial.  In fact, if your fitter doesn't ask you about your game, what you're working on, and what you hope to achieve from the fitting, then they're probably not very good.  You could curve the ball significantly left-to-right.  You might love that ball flight, you might be working on fixing it, or you might hate it but frankly don't have the time to work on it.  A good fitter should make very different decisions based on this information.  They can't know if you don't tell them, but if they don't know to ask, I'd move along.

If you live in a fairly urban area, ask your buddies about where to go.  If you're going to have to travel to get fit, I'd ask around here for recommendations.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'm going to bet that the vast majority of us on this forum know much more about what we do (or did) for our day jobs than we know about clubfitting.  I'm a big believer in taking advantage of other people's expertise when you're making an investment.  Then again, I sell and manage consulting for a software company, so I suppose I'm a bit biased toward experts.

Others have talked about talking with your fitter, and this is crucial.  In fact, if your fitter doesn't ask you about your game, what you're working on, and what you hope to achieve from the fitting, then they're probably not very good.  You could curve the ball significantly left-to-right.  You might love that ball flight, you might be working on fixing it, or you might hate it but frankly don't have the time to work on it.  A good fitter should make very different decisions based on this information.  They can't know if you don't tell them, but if they don't know to ask, I'd move along.

If you live in a fairly urban area, ask your buddies about where to go.  If you're going to have to travel to get fit, I'd ask around here for recommendations.

Like I said... I'm not against fitting. I just don't have the disposable income... or the desire to drive 100 miles for a hit or miss chance that it will pan out. I play the game because it's fun and I enjoy it. I'm over thinking I will ever be any better at my age. If I thought getting fit would make a significant difference in my game, I would probably/maybe pursue it. I really don't think I would see any significant gains for the expenditure.

Edited by silver & black

On 2/2/2020 at 10:52 PM, silver & black said:

the desire to drive 100 miles for a hit or miss chance that it will pan out

I don't blame you for that.  Technology needs to be able to fill this void.  We have telemedicine.  Why not telefitting?

I'm over thinking I will ever be any better at my age

I honestly hope I never feel that way.  I know it's going to happen at some point, but I hope I can put it off my moving up a tee box or two (or three or four).

I really don't think I would see any significant gains for the expenditure.

If you can fit yourself as well as a quality fitter, then you probably wouldn't get much out of it.  I know I can't.  But I get that a 200+ mile round trip is just not worth it.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 4:27 PM, silver & black said:

Is a club fitting "crazy money"? I've had several done and they;ve always been in the $100-$150 range and, depending on where you go, some/all of that can be applied towards the purchase of new equipment. I'd argue that ball/putter fittings are on the lower end of the "is this necessary" scale, but iron/hybrid/wood/driver fittings are extremely beneficial, especially if you've never been fit before. Things like lie angle have a HUGE impact on your game, and can even have a negative effect on an otherwise decent golf swing. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 11.5 Project X Evenflow White 6.5

Woods: :mizuno-small: ST200 5 wood 18* Atmos Blue 5S Flex

Irons: :titelist-small: 718 AP2 5-PW / 718 T-MB 4i Project X 6.5

Wedges: :titelist-small: 718 AP2 50* Project X 6.5

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG2 54*/60* Project X 6.5

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 10

... I would say a putter fitting can make a HUGE difference in your game if you are playing the wrong style putter for your stroke. Even the alignment aids can make a difference depending on if you aim your putter head to the line of your putt as perpendicular or parallel. The wrong alignment throws you off before you even start. And then loft can also be very important if you hang back with your hands or keep a forward press through impact. There are plenty of golfers that have a found a putter that works for them by accident, but being fit can be an eye opener and let you know exactly what kind of putter works for you going forward.   

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 1/27/2020 at 7:27 PM, silver & black said:

But the pain and frustration of dropping crazy money on a fitting isn't lost on me here.  This is especially after I got fitted for my PING G irons.  I'm not averse to investing in

good clubs if the fitting shows me something I hadn't seen before, but I just don't have a ton of money sitting around to buy golf clubs with, so I'll pass for now.

Is a club fitting "crazy money"? I've had several done and they;ve always been in the $100-$150 range and, depending on where you go, some/all of that can be applied towards the purchase of new equipment. I'd argue that ball/putter fittings are on the lower end of the "is this necessary" scale, but iron/hybrid/wood/driver fittings are extremely beneficial, especially if you've never been fit before. Things like lie angle have a HUGE impact on your game, and can even have a negative effect on an otherwise decent golf swing. 

I'm not sure how that quote is attributed to me, but I'll answer anyway. Is it crazy money? No. What it is, is "needed" money for more important things.... like paying bills and buying groceries.

I'm just a regular working man with an hourly wage. Between Mortgage, vehicle, groceries, alimony and all the other needs, spending money on getting fit for clubs isn't in the cards for me, even though I would like to do it. 

• not

43 minutes ago, CDaggs24 said:

Most iron fittings fall in that price range. Depending on the place whether that can be applied is not always the case. Some do it to get the sale but like txg you are paying for a service and the fitters time. They aren’t as worried about the sale. 

the ball is the one piece of gear played on ever shot and to say that’s on the low end of the unnecessary is crazy talk. 

every piece of equipment should be fit

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Ah Oh. I may have to look into a Get Off My Lawn sign. I just saw the Titleist T400 PW is ... 38*. Then all you have to do is add a 43* W and then a 49* W2 and then a 55* W3 and round out your five wedges with a 60* LW (or W4). I would write more but I think I need time to digest this information and then hopefully post my thoughts before someone introduces a full set of wedges starting with a 20* PW then a 23* W1, 26* W2, 29* W3, 33* W4, 38* W5, 43* W6, 49* W7, 55* W8 and a 60* W9. 😳

Now don't start...  Nifty will be in here in a flash!!

Actually, I've had a 38º P1 wedge for the last 3 years.  My P2 wedge is 44º.   These steel shaft SGI Bridgestone clubs are easy to hit, and I love playing with my buddies when they ask what I hit, and it's 2-3 clubs (by number) less than they hit on that par 3.  

My next wedges are 54º and 60º Callaway PM Grind.  I can play with that 10º gap, but I am auditioning for a gap wedge so I don't have to manufacture a shot.

ICYMI in another thread, I just ordered a 5i for my set, but with a KBS TGI 90 graphite... 22º loft.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I finally got over this “phenomenon”...

If it looks like a Cadillac, handles like a Ferrari, and is jacked up like a Monster Truck...

Sounds good to me.

As our good friend JLukes would say, hand me my Rhino, or Elephant.

Like age, the number on the bottom is just.....

A number.

Yup.....

Rick

Left Hand, 

36 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I finally got over this “phenomenon”...
If it looks like a Cadillac, handles like a Ferrari, and is jacked up like a Monster Truck...
Sounds good to me.
As our good friend JLukes would say, hand me my Rhino, or Elephant.
Like age, the number on the bottom is just.....

A number.

... I have always felt that way and don't blame Titleist or any OEM for going that route. Although I admit I was happy when I figured out to add one more club for my Amp Forged/Fly Z+/Forged Tours that have a 44* pw instead of my old traditional 48* I had played for many years. So I finally got to where I did not have to say "OK, 155 is a full 8 iron sooooo a full 9 iron with my FT's" and I could just think "OK, 155 is 9 iron". And weakening my P790's by 1* produced very similar distances so no transposing necessary. But dayum a 38* pw and then all the other corresponding much stronger lofts would take an abacus for me to figure out which club to hit LOL. Of course to be fair, I am not the target audience for jacked lofts in T400's or T300's or even T200's so it was just an observation. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour