lgv44

Loft-jacked distance irons

Our Sponsors

So, I seeing the reduced lofts in a bunch of irons:  Titleist T400,  Epic Forged, P790TI, SIM, 0311xp.   Oh, but the actual launch angle is still the same because of changed CG.  Is it?  Or does one need to really check it out a launch monitor?   Should I consider a higher launch shaft with these lower lofted irons, or does the lower CG really do the entire offset?

I currently use Steelfiber95 and am thinking of SteelfiberFC80.   My normal trajectory is just a little lower than medium.

The reduced lofts in the GI clubs are purely because these irons launch higher.

• Like 1

The marketing departments would tell you it's a trajectory thing, but I tend to pay attention to Tom Wishon, who says it's BS.

In the old days, they said it was because the CGs are lower and farther back.  Then Maltby and GolfWorks started releasing CG location data, which shows it's not.  Now, marketing doesn't talk about CGs, they just say it's trajectory.  Color me skeptical.

My take is, if you're playing a set that hits the ball too high for its loft, perhaps you should look at a different club.  You wouldn't hit a driver you hit too high, would you?   

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

... Like many things in this game I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Yes, they need to reduce the loft because these irons are launching higher. Yes, they want to reduce the loft so they can claim more distance. As jlukes said above, if you have any kind of doubt at all, get fit. 

• Like 4

I just caught a video the other day. The M6 5 iron is the same loft as the R7 3 iron. It's getting crazy. No wonder lots of GI sets don't go lower than a 5 or 6 anymore.

Take Dead Aim

We're becoming WRX 🤦‍♂️

Ha.  That's not all bad 😎

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I just caught a video the other day. The M6 5 iron is the same loft as the R7 3 iron. It's getting crazy. No wonder lots of GI sets don't go lower than a 5 or 6 anymore.

Take Dead Aim

I talked about this very issue when I reviewed the Wilson D7's. Compared to my old DCI's I was playing at the time the loft was increased, on average, about 5* per iron...just crazy. Had to completely retool my bag, drop all FW's since the 4i was @ 19* and then add in 2 more wedges. 

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the loft jacking...

6 minutes ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

I talked about this very issue when I reviewed the Wilson D7's. Compared to my old DCI's I was playing at the time the loft was increased, on average, about 5* per iron...just crazy. Had to completely retool my bag, drop all FW's since the 4i was @ 19* and then add in 2 more wedges. 

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the loft jacking...

... To be fair, almost all "jacked iron" come with a GW. If you order a GW - 5 iron you have almost the same set as an older PW-4 iron with many of the new sets. Yes, us old school golfers had to learn to transpose yardage when the trend started, but I am used to it now and my yardages with my current irons are almost exactly the same with one less club than it was for most of my golfing life. So instead of a full 8 iron for a 150yd shot, and now I hit a full 9 iron. And we have the added amusement of Nifty rants. 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, jlukes said:

Simple answer - get fit. 

It's the only way of knowing what is going to work for your swing.  Shafts that are "high launch" don't automatically launch the ball higher and low launch shafts dont launch the ball lower.

All it means is they have different bend and stiffness profiles and everyone reacts differently to weight, stiffness and profile. 

Before spending over a thousand dollars on a new set of irons, go to club champion or True Spec and spend the $100 on an iron fitting.  It will be worth every penny

So much truth.

one day this topic will die.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

So much truth.

one day this topic will die.

Unfortunately, that day is not today. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love how the "jacked loft" discussion always comes up.  Fit or not fit,  you need to pick clubs that allow you to cover distances with generally 10-15 yard gaps between clubs, good spin/descent angle to prevent lots of rollout, and have the knowledge to know what club carries the ball a particular distance.  I couldn't tell you the loft on my clubs and I honestly don't care.  

• Like 7

To clarify, since it feels like my words are being taken as a cantankerous old man who also wants to "make things great again" and "back in my day I had to walk uphill both ways", I wanted to also note that the newer tech in clubs is a welcome addition. 

It has allowed more players to enjoy the game with less frustration, less lost balls, and hopefully lower scores. The added forgiveness in my D7's has certainly saved my butt a few times, and I've really enjoyed the clubs overall - especially when moving from my old DCI'S

It's a small annoyance to have to retool your bag, but I, along with the rest of you guys, have adjusted and ultimately enjoy the game more!

• Like 4

The G410's are offered in a "powerloft" option - much nicer way of saying "jacked lofts"... gotta love marketing folks 🤣.   +3 on the go get fitted recommendation; particularly as it pertains to a question like which loft option is best.  In may case the fitter felt standard loft was a much better option.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The manufacturers don't seem to know that I'm out of action.

They're doing these ridiculously strong lofts specifically to force me back into hickories.

If I were still playing, I wouldn't have a clue how to configure a whole bag starting with these ultra strong lofted irons.

I predict a 1-iron-lofted flop wedge before the end of this decade.

• Haha 1
  • Off Topic 2

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

They're doing these ridiculously strong lofts specifically to force me back into hickories.

If I were still playing, I wouldn't have a clue how to configure a whole bag starting with these ultra strong lofted irons.

Well the good thing is

1) there’s lots of reputable fitters that do full bag fittings and/or gapping sessions so one wouldn’t have to figure out how to setup the bag as it would be done for them.

2) Everyone is so into the loft numbers hat without a fitting they could presume that loft X goes Y distance and then build off that using some sort of system either following the OEMs design of 4-5* gap into the scoring clubs and wedges and 2-3* into the longer irons. Then determine what’s the lowest loft on an iron they want to play and fill in the top of the bag and use the remaining clubs to fill in the bottom half.  With wedges being cheaper than hybrids having 5-6 wedges isn’t a bad thing if you are buying 4 of them vice 2-4 hybrids and woods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Your don't even play golf anymore. They're not forcing you into anything 

• Like 5

So...... I have a question about fitting. I have buddies that spent a lot of money to get fit, only to be disappointed after the fact. I read all the the time on here how important it is to get fit.... it's the default answer to every question asked.

How does one determine that the person doing the fitting knows what he/she is doing? I haven't gotten "fit" because I have limited funds to "waste" on non productive "things".... not just golf related. I would definitely find the money, IF I were positively sure it would make a significant difference in my play.

I'm just not convinced it's a  valid expenditure.

30 minutes ago, silver & black said:

So...... I have a question about fitting. I have buddies that spent a lot of money to get fit, only to be disappointed after the fact. I read all the the time on here how important it is to get fit.... it's the default answer to every question asked.

How does one determine that the person doing the fitting knows what he/she is doing? I haven't gotten "fit" because I have limited funds to "waste" on non productive "things".... not just golf related. I would definitely find the money, IF I were positively sure it would make a significant difference in my play.

I'm just not convinced it's a  valid expenditure.

Without some sort of review on the person/facility one won’t know if the fitter is good or bad. 2 years ago I got fit by ping tour van fitters. They were great. Last year 2 other guys were here with the van and they were terrible. They get trained at ping hq and the way they went about fitting it was easy to see they either didn’t know what they were doing or were just in the I don’t care mode.

one thing to do is talk with the fitter before scheduling and get their thought process/approach to fitting, are they brand agnostic or are they on staff or incentivized by a brand. A mini interview should help one know  

• Like 2