TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is an aftermarket shaft worth it?

Golf84

Still on topic but what does the aftermarket(custom) shaft give you that the stock doesn't? I'm sure those that are in the low/middle single digits want to squeeze that extra yard out, but for me being a 13 cap, I just want to be in the shorts grass and if someone blows by me 5-10 yards that's fine, hopefully my iron or short game will be better than his.

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

15 minutes ago, TENBUCK said:

Still on topic but what does the aftermarket(custom) shaft give you that the stock doesn't? I'm sure those that are in the low/middle single digits want to squeeze that extra yard out, but for me being a 13 cap, I just want to be in the shorts grass and if someone blows by me 5-10 yards that's fine, hopefully my iron or short game will be better than his.

That depends on the person. For some it might not give anything and for others it gives better launch characteristics and/or feel.

Stock shafts are used to fit the wide majority of golfer. The shafts used are there to provide the shaft brand sales as well as for the club companies to have a range of shafts tor help golfers find a good fit. Not all shafts and shaft materials are the same. This is to say stock shafts are bad especially when you look at brands that offering Project x hzrdus smoke as a non upgrade or their even flow line, or aldila offering their latest premium shafts in a couple brands to get exposure. There’s lots of good stock shafts out there and lots of good made for shafts as well. Ping has probably the best stock shafts of any brand out there. 

A brand can achieve feels/performance thru placement of the graphite flags, the number of flags, the alignment of them and the type of material used.

So many get focused on aftermarket shafts in woods and forget that there are stock and upgrade/aftermarket shafts in irons as well.

In wood shafts it’s going to come down to the the amount of premium materials used.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, TENBUCK said:

Adding on to what RickyBobby_PR said.   You indicated that you want to be in the short grass;   The shaft helps with timing,  its job is to help ensure it bends and delivers the head to the ball in a manner that enables you to hit the ball with the same face angle and deflection each time.  A shaft that doesn't fit you  (aftermarket or stock) won't let you do that.  Shafts have different profiles and all flex and unflex a little differently.    You can find a stock shaft that works well and there isn't a need for an aftermarket or you can perhaps fine tune a little bit with an aftermarket.   The goal isn't always more distance;  most people would prefer more control and narrower dispersion.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Adding on to what RickyBobby_PR said.   You indicated that you want to be in the short grass;   The shaft helps with timing,  its job is to help ensure it bends and delivers the head to the ball in a manner that enables you to hit the ball with the same face angle and deflection each time.  A shaft that doesn't fit you  (aftermarket or stock) won't let you do that.  Shafts have different profiles and all flex and unflex a little differently.    You can find a stock shaft that works well and there isn't a need for an aftermarket or you can perhaps fine tune a little bit with an aftermarket.   The goal isn't always more distance;  most people would prefer more control and narrower dispersion.  

And with technology in shafts and heads these days one doesn’t have to sacrifice distance for dispersion or vice versa. A good fitting will optimize both 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

... I want to add something that has not been addressed. If you are playing one shaft in one driver for the life of both you are gonna be just fine with a Made For shaft if it fits you. However, if you have a second driver or break your shaft or it's stolen or lost or borrowed and not returned, the chances of you finding another Mader For shaft that performs just like the shaft you have been playing might be a different story. One of the things you pay for with a premium shaft is consistency.  So Like PMookie who unfortunately had his Ventus break at the adaptor, he can be sure his new Ventus will be as close to his old shaft as possible and he should be able to install his new Ventus and pick up right where he left off. For some this is a concern and for others, not at all. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

For the most part, all of the shafts available are aftermarket. There aren't, at least I don't think there are, very many cheap "made for" shafts any more. They're all OEM high quality shafts. You just need to find or choose the right one. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me almost all of the shaft options are the OEM models, not the old cheap "made for" shafts. I'm an engineer and I'm into this stuff, but my wife and kids take most of my time and energy, so I'm not as into it and informed as I used to be. Nonetheless, the fitting is still very important. And finding and choosing the right shaft is still very important. Maybe it's just easier to find that shaft these days, even if it costs a little more.

10 hours ago, therod said:

For the most part, all of the shafts available are aftermarket. There aren't, at least I don't think there are, very many cheap "made for" shafts any more. They're all OEM high quality shafts. You just need to find or choose the right one. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me almost all of the shaft options are the OEM models, not the old cheap "made for" shafts. I'm an engineer and I'm into this stuff, but my wife and kids take most of my time and energy, so I'm not as into it and informed as I used to be. Nonetheless, the fitting is still very important. And finding and choosing the right shaft is still very important. Maybe it's just easier to find that shaft these days, even if it costs a little more.

They made for shafts around today may not be the cheap ones from years past but there are still plenty. Fujikura has 2 or 3, several Diamana ones exist. PX had some for awhile. Technology and materials used has improved over the years and has allowed brands to make better quality made for shafts. Look at graphite iron shafts. They were weak and soft and really only geared for the older, slower swinger, that is no longer the case and there are multiple brands offering them for all golfers

On 1/26/2020 at 7:44 AM, Golf84 said:

I have never done a real club fitting, only have done the ones at Dick's or Edwin Watts.  I'm in the market to buy the new SIM driver, if I'm not willing to pay $300-$500 for an aftermarket shaft, is it even worth paying $150 to get fitted for a driver? 

SIM $550, fitting $150, shaft $300-500...not really looking to spend over $1K on a driver...so with that in mind, is it even worth getting fitted for an aftermarket shaft?

First off, welcome to the forums! 

Last fall I was able to get a free fitting from True Spec Golf's Boston location.  When I walked out of there I had a spec sheet and pricing for a new driver which would have run me $849.  By waiting until the winter and new clubs were released I was able to purchase the same set up online for $245.  For me that's an M5 10.5 with the Tensei Pro White shaft.  All I'm going to need to do is butt trim the shaft a 1/4 inch or so which I'll do after hitting some balls this spring and making sure I'm good on the hosel settings before putting a fresh grip on it.

If you can delay your purchase, or look at the used market or prior versions you can save yourself some serious cash.

I personally DO recommend getting some level of a professional fitting.  Everytime I've been to one I've walked out confident that either my clubs were optimized as is, or I knew what would work better for me.  I've also never been pressured to buy from the fitter, which may be because the fitting fee was separate.  I've had two full bag fittings, and a putter fitting.

Where are you located?  There are lots of really good fitters out there, I'm sure someone who lives in the same area as you could recommend one.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I was fit for a Fuji Evo 5 last year. My dispersion was drastically improved due to the shaft. Obviously the $350 was too much. I bought the shaft used for 25% of the original price. I recommend getting fit then buying the shaft used. 

WITB

expensive clubs that are not making me better

I was fit for a Fuji Evo 5 last year. My dispersion was drastically improved due to the shaft. Obviously the $350 was too much. I bought the shaft used for 25% of the original price. I recommend getting fit then buying the shaft used. 

WITB

expensive clubs that are not making me better

Checkout the video below. Take it for what its worth, the stock shaft is not Matt's optimal profile, but he is really spraying the ball around with the stock shaft.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Checkout the video below. Take it for what its worth, the stock shaft is not Matt's optimal profile, but he is really spraying the ball around with the stock shaft.

Definitely. At the end of the day, if it helps make you more consistent then it’s worth it if it’s in your budget.

I always like to compare the best fit from the stock or low-charge offerings versus whatever true “best fit” is. The. You can decide if it’s worth the investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 1/30/2020 at 11:03 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

That is false. The difference between them is where they were/are made. They are designed to the same specs with the non hc being made in Asia, while up until a couple years ago the hc being made in San Diego. Now they are all made in Asia. I spent time with the PX team a few years ago, this question came up then and has come up on multiple forums and PX has confirmed they are designed to the same specs. 

I’ve seen others ask about titleist having different specs listed compared to what px has listed and px confirmed the shaft titleist has was the same as the rest and the difference was in how titleist measures certain specs compared to how px does. The TM site has a pic of a hzrdus green that the specs on the shaft don’t match the px specs and px has confirmed the shaft available in SIM is the same as listed on px website 

I have been wondering about this for sometime... What then is the point of purchasing the HC shaft? 

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

I have been wondering about this for sometime... What then is the point of purchasing the HC shaft? 

Marketing baby.

(This reply is half sarcastic as many will find value in the fact that it was handmade, limited in numbers, etc. it’s more of a luxury thing... although no matter what PX tells us people swear there is a difference in spec of them.)

1 minute ago, B.Boston said:

Marketing baby. emoji6.png

(This reply is half sarcastic as many will find value in the fact that it was handmade, limited in numbers, etc. it’s more of a luxury thing... although no matter what PX tells us people swear there is a difference in spec of them.)

I guess you can only get the TX versions in the HC so I guess thats a small difference. Placebos are powerful drugs😆

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

17 minutes ago, Brandon M said:

Depends on where ones point of view is. Some people like the idea of purchasing something made in the US, others like buying a limited production item. Some have a mental block that an hc is better than a mass produced version.

To an extent it’s a marketing strategy by PX to offer the consumer a limited item that was hand rolled by the experts. Some people say they can feel the difference between a hc and a non hc. I haven’t been able to and I’ve tested several versions and even have one I rolled that gave me the same performance that the one rolled by their staff. 

I guess you can only get the TX versions in the HC so I guess thats a small difference. Placebos are powerful drugs

Makes sense that the TX would all be handcrafted or Small Batch. A small population of people fit into that anyway, and I doubt they’re getting stuff off the rack.

10 minutes ago, Brandon M said:

I guess you can only get the TX versions in the HC so I guess thats a small difference. Placebos are powerful drugs😆

The TX I’m guessing you are referred to are the ones in the smoke line. Those are made mostly in Asia and there are very few shafts that come out of San Diego now. San Diego is primarily a r&d facility now and their staff of shaft rollers are focused on that. 

2 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Makes sense that the TX would all be handcrafted or Small Batch. A small population of people fit into that anyway, and I doubt they’re getting stuff off the rack. emoji106.png

There are various small batch out there. If you look at their site the smoke green are all small batch where as in yellow and black the TX is the only small batch. 

There are various small batch out there. If you look at their site the smoke green are all small batch where as in yellow and black the TX is the only small batch. 

Yeah sorry didn’t mean to make it sound like all small batch was TX. Just that it made sense some flexes would only be available as Handcrafted or Small Batch since the market is small for those.

6 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Yeah sorry didn’t mean to make it sound like all small batch was TX. Just that it made sense some flexes would only be available as Handcrafted or Small Batch since the market is small for those.

All shafts are handcrafted. That term on the hzrdus line was to indicate they were hand rolled in San Diego but the vast majority of shafts on the market are hand rolled the difference being the number of people rolling shafts. In SD they only had 5 people rolling shafts and they could do about 60/day each. In the factory they can do thousands a day and usually run multiple shifts per day. 

Like everyone has said it all comes down to what works for you best.  I have tried everything.  Accra, atmos, graphite design, px hc/small batch.   Look at my witb newbie witb - I am a shaft ho.   With that said , in my callaway epic driver, I games the stock Fuji made for callaway pro green.    I hint that thing on a rope- until the airline broke it and then the club ho in me just wanted to try something else.  Right now my sim max d has a graphite design tour ad xc. I also have a small batch 6.0 riptide on the way.   I too have talked to true temper and they say there is no difference between small batch and not-  but I swear the riptide small batch is a bit stiffer...lol.  Mind **** 

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

A lot of good input already in the thread. At the end of the day, it's about peace of mind and budget. There are a lot of club companies offering high quality stock shafts in different bend profiles with different balance points and different characteristics. I'm in the fitting industrie since roughly the year 2000 and had a couple of customers in the meantime. The longer I do my job, the more simplified my approach has gotten over the years. It comes down to some simple things. First of all, it's about getting length, weight and balance in the correct ballpark. Next this is somewho related to EI curve and torque - it's about feel and trust. If you get a combination, a player feels comfortable with, he will perform nicely with it. If you have a setup, a player doesn't like the feel of, they will struggle to produce consistent results.

As for high-end aftermarket vs. Stock - the main difference is consistency within a production run. Most stock shafts are done in factories, that can produce high volume with a high number of employees. Those guys were trained for their job, but lack working experience. So while the materials will be identical (sticking to PX std. vs. PX small batch), the guys in the small batch line have more experience and doing what the do more consistently. So if you get fitted for a small batch shaft, chances are high, that the ordered shaft will feel and play the same. With the standard shaft, you might find slightly higher variances within the production batches due to the workers being less experienced.

This also is one of the reasons, why shafts made in Japan have such a high reputation. A lot of the workers have been with their companies for a long time. They know, how to put the different layers on the mandrel and first of all, getting the pre-peg right.

During a fitting, you should be able to find a stock shaft, that works perfectly fine for you. And chances are high these days, that the ordered product will work just fine. That used to be different, when I started doing fittings and clubmaking. The general quality of the OEM product increased a lot over those two decades. So - there is no need for an expensive upgrade aftermarket shaft anymore to make a club work consistently. But for the peace of mind - going high end/high quality aftermarket - is always an option.

Long story short - get a quality fitting. Compare stock and high end aftermarket and see, if there is something in it for you. But definitely - Get Fit!

Cheers,

Michael

3 hours ago, Golfmanufaktur said:

A lot of good input already in the thread. At the end of the day, it's about peace of mind and budget. There are a lot of club companies offering high quality stock shafts in different bend profiles with different balance points and different characteristics. I'm in the fitting industrie since roughly the year 2000 and had a couple of customers in the meantime. The longer I do my job, the more simplified my approach has gotten over the years. It comes down to some simple things. First of all, it's about getting length, weight and balance in the correct ballpark. Next this is somewho related to EI curve and torque - it's about feel and trust. If you get a combination, a player feels comfortable with, he will perform nicely with it. If you have a setup, a player doesn't like the feel of, they will struggle to produce consistent results.

As for high-end aftermarket vs. Stock - the main difference is consistency within a production run. Most stock shafts are done in factories, that can produce high volume with a high number of employees. Those guys were trained for their job, but lack working experience. So while the materials will be identical (sticking to PX std. vs. PX small batch), the guys in the small batch line have more experience and doing what the do more consistently. So if you get fitted for a small batch shaft, chances are high, that the ordered shaft will feel and play the same. With the standard shaft, you might find slightly higher variances within the production batches due to the workers being less experienced.

This also is one of the reasons, why shafts made in Japan have such a high reputation. A lot of the workers have been with their companies for a long time. They know, how to put the different layers on the mandrel and first of all, getting the pre-peg right.

During a fitting, you should be able to find a stock shaft, that works perfectly fine for you. And chances are high these days, that the ordered product will work just fine. That used to be different, when I started doing fittings and clubmaking. The general quality of the OEM product increased a lot over those two decades. So - there is no need for an expensive upgrade aftermarket shaft anymore to make a club work consistently. But for the peace of mind - going high end/high quality aftermarket - is always an option.

Long story short - get a quality fitting. Compare stock and high end aftermarket and see, if there is something in it for you. But definitely - Get Fit!

Cheers,

Michael

You do realize the small batch shafts are made in the same factory by the same people that make the other PX shafts right? The San Diego crew that used to do the handcrafted hzrdus shafts are more involved in the r&d work going on in the San Diego facility and the handcrafted work was shifted to the Asian factory a couple years ago. There are some small batch shafts on the market made in the USA but they are made in Asia as well. Also small batch is more of a designation for the TX flex versions of the hzrdus smoke line and is not the new designation for handcrafted 

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

You do realize the small batch shafts are made in the same factory by the same people that make the other PX shafts right? The San Diego crew that used to do the handcrafted hzrdus shafts are more involved in the r&d work going on in the San Diego facility and the handcrafted work was shifted to the Asian factory a couple years ago. There are some small batch shafts on the market made in the USA but they are made in Asia as well. Also small batch is more of a designation for the TX flex versions of the hzrdus smoke line and is not the new designation for handcrafted 

I do know, that they come from the same factory, but afaik and been told by TT/PX/ACCRA - they use different production lines for normal shafts and PX Small Batch.

Cheers,
Michael

Accepted tolerances for a company are accepted tolerances.

In your example if one of the normal shafts was made by a lesser employee and the factory and fell outside of specs it wouldn’t be sold.

Newer workers may have a higher fail rate than the experienced workers, but the tolerances are the same between all of the PX lines.

In this example there’s no difference in the tolerances between PX’s HC, SB, and regular lines. Project X has told us this.

Japanese shaft makers like Nippon do have a reputation for fitting into tighter tolerances. How much of that is fact vs legend I am not sure.

45 minutes ago, Golfmanufaktur said:

I do know, that they come from the same factory, but afaik and been told by TT/PX/ACCRA - they use different production lines for normal shafts and PX Small Batch.

41 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

In your example if one of the normal shafts was made by a lesser employee and the factory and fell outside of specs it wouldn’t be sold.

Newer workers may have a higher fail rate than the experienced workers, but the tolerances are the same between all of the PX lines.

In this example there’s no difference in the tolerances between PX’s HC, SB, and regular lines. Project X has told us this.

Japanese shaft makers like Nippon do have a reputation for fitting into tighter tolerances. How much of that is fact vs legend I am not sure.

B.boston beat me to it. 

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

B.boston beat me to it. 

That's interesting, since I got different information about that issue from True Sports - according to my info, the accepted tolerances in the small batch line are tighter compared to standard production. That`s the info, I received during a PFC seminar last year and got confirmed today by my contact.

50 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

And I can assure you from 20 years of clubmaking experience, the tolerances on Made in Japan shafts are really tight and those shafts are fun to work with.

And I can assure you from 20 years of clubmaking experience, the tolerances on Made in Japan shafts are really tight and those shafts are fun to work with.

Seems to be the case with a lot of stuff from Japan. Certainly some aspects of Japanese culture coming to play there.

I just got Nippon shafts in my wedges and will be checking them out when it comes time for new irons as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk