Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Is an aftermarket shaft worth it?

Golf84

9 hours ago, Golfmanufaktur said:

It comes down to some simple things. First of all, it's about getting length, weight and balance in the correct ballpark. Next this is somewho related to EI curve and torque - it's about feel and trust. If you get a combination, a player feels comfortable with, he will perform nicely with it. If you have a setup, a player doesn't like the feel of, they will struggle to produce consistent results.

Cheers,

Michael

... Great point Michael! I was playing the Atmos TS Blue in my F9 and loved the feel and the trajectory, distance was good and the only improvement would be lowering the spin. Easier said than done as you well know. I picked up an Atmos TS Black and hit some of my longest drives with it. But the bend profile and feel was stouter than I am comfortable using and the Black just didn't "feel" like it was loading or unloading and I found myself attempting to swing harder (not faster) trying to get that comfortable feel. I want to feel that release and kick thru impact. When shafts I like are properly timed I am having a great driving day and on my slightly off tempo days I am aware I am not swinging as well and make adjustment accordingly. With a shaft that does not feel like it is unloading correctly, even if the performance is there, I am making unnecessary adjustments to get the feel I am comfortable with. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• 1 month later...

I think it depends. I have been trying to get more serious about my golf game and trying to play in competitions. I recently got a new driver with the new VA Nemesys shaft. It is a mid-high launch, low spin shaft, which is not easy to find in any stock shaft. Most low spin shafts are also low launch, so this made a big difference for me with driver, being someone who has a negative angle of attack with all of my clubs.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero, 9.5*, VA Nemesys 75, Golfpride MCC Align Midsize

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max Fairway Wood, 15*, Stock shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Titleist U500 21*, Hzrdus Smoke Stiff, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan Icon Irons 8-PW, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan PTxPro Irons 4-7, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 60*, Stock vokey shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron California Mid-Mallet

• 2 weeks later...

I just had an experience that changed my thoughts on this. I just went through a fitting at Club Champion, and I went in fully expecting to upgrade my driver shaft (I was even looking forward to it). I had always figured that an aftermarket shaft would improve my driving. But after hitting a number of shaft and head combinations, we discovered that none of the shafts performed any better than my current "made-for" shaft. I play a 10.5º M5 with a Tensei CK Orange 60. The point being, getting fit for the right shaft is more important than just deciding you need to play such and such aftermarket shaft because everyone says it's the best shaft they've ever played. Good luck.

Driver: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png M5 10.5 - Tensei CK Orange 60s
3W: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png RBZ
5W: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png SLDR
4-GW: image.png.9df0e471af2d5b9a0272d4536f1043b0.png JPX-EZ Forged - Dynamic Gold X100
Wedges: image.png.b244c1dbed7bae5489798af85f00ca52.png SM7 52 & 60
Putter: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png TM110

image.png

13 minutes ago, Ben Larsen said:

I just had an experience that changed my thoughts on this. I just went through a fitting at Club Champion, and I went in fully expecting to upgrade my driver shaft (I was even looking forward to it). I had always figured that an aftermarket shaft would improve my driving. But after hitting a number of shaft and head combinations, we discovered that none of the shafts performed any better than my current "made-for" shaft. I play a 10.5º M5 with a Tensei CK Orange 60. The point being, getting fit for the right shaft is more important than just deciding you need to play such and such aftermarket shaft because everyone says it's the best shaft they've ever played. Good luck.

... I am not aware of a CK Orange "made for" shaft, although Taylor Made might have one. But the CK Orange is my aftermarket shaft and beat out my Tour Rogue Black 110. I have a CK Pro Orange coming but honestly expect the non Pro version to work better for my swing, but I got a deal that was too good to pass up. That said, I agree there are "made for" shafts that can fit a player as well or better than a more expensive aftermarket shaft. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I am not aware of a CK Orange "made for" shaft, although Taylor Made might have one. But the CK Orange is my aftermarket shaft and beat out my Tour Rogue Black 110. I have a CK Pro Orange coming but honestly expect the non Pro version to work better for my swing, but I got a deal that was too good to pass up. That said, I agree there are "made for" shafts that can fit a player as well or better than a more expensive aftermarket shaft. 

Yeah, the CK is in kind of an inbetween category I would say. I say made for because it was the shaft that came with my M5. But unlike most made-for shafts, MCA actually posts specs and information about the CK on their website, not just the CK pro. That alone leads me to believe it is still a very high quality shaft, and thus a much better shaft than most stock shafts.

Driver: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png M5 10.5 - Tensei CK Orange 60s
3W: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png RBZ
5W: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png SLDR
4-GW: image.png.9df0e471af2d5b9a0272d4536f1043b0.png JPX-EZ Forged - Dynamic Gold X100
Wedges: image.png.b244c1dbed7bae5489798af85f00ca52.png SM7 52 & 60
Putter: image.png.6d315d10311d9b38d0ca9cad952650b6.png TM110

image.png

I have been debating on going to Club Champion. I don't even know if they are doing standard fittings right now. What I've always been curious about with their fittings is that I've always played a 44" driver and have no interest in playing a longer club. I've always put my sticks together. I'm currently gaming a Cobra F7+ and I have 4 different shafts for it. I don't know how much I would gain from a fitting, but I don't know how the fitting would go if I don't want to play a longer shaft. I also have a weight kit for it and am playing it heavier than standard. Temptation is always dangerous, but it's pretty tempting to just buy a newer Cobra and just use the shafts I already have. A newer head would require a new weight kit, but that's also easy to get.

I thought this was worth the share since a test was finally done on the OG Velocore Ventus Vs the Taylormade non-velocore Ventus. I think they make some good points in here.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

19 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I thought this was worth the share since a test was finally done on the OG Velocore Ventus Vs the Taylormade non-velocore Ventus. I think they make some good points in here.

I didn't watch the full video, but Matt was hitting hooks with with the non-Velocore shaft. His dispersion was much better with the Velocore.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

21 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I didn't watch the full video, but Matt was hitting hooks with with the non-Velocore shaft. His dispersion was much better with the Velocore.

Numbers wise everything is close enough to be a wash but the standard deviation is slightly better with the velocore version which is what the shaft is designed to do.

for those interested in the difference between the two versions around the 3 min mark Ian talks about them and it’s not just the using non 70t material. The taper design is different and he even mentions that they really aren’t the same shaft. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Numbers wise everything is close enough to be a wash but the standard deviation is slightly better with the velocore version which is what the shaft is designed to do.
for those interested in the difference between the two versions around the 3 min mark Ian talks about them and it’s not just the using non 70t material. The taper design is different and he even mentions that they really aren’t the same shaft. 

Yeah I really liked that part of it. To this point I hadn’t seen anything close to that kind of detail about the two shafts design.
I also liked that they gave it a fair shake and even Matt said it wasn’t a ‘bad shaft’ but they both clearly don’t like that its called a Ventus.
The change in strike location consistency was actually kind of amazing allowing for the fact that Matt is an elite ball striker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

9 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Yeah I really liked that part of it. To this point I hadn’t seen anything close to that kind of detail about the two shafts design.
I also liked that they gave it a fair shake and even Matt said it wasn’t a ‘bad shaft’ but they both clearly don’t like that its called a Ventus.
The change in strike location consistency was actually kind of amazing allowing for the fact that Matt is an elite ball striker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah matt seems to do better with stiffer profile shafts especially those with stiffer tip like what’s in the velocore version.

The discussion around value was a nice piece to the video. Slower swing speeds may not see a difference that’s worth spending $250 for the upgrade or $350 aftermarket. Someone with higher speeds like Matt may feel the stability is worth it

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Beat me to it.  I love what these guys are doing and the knowledge he shares.

Mass production or made for shafts could work very well for a large group of golfers even if the higher end shafts with better materials will likely be a bit better for dispersion and likely feel.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

• 3 weeks later...

To keep with what everyone else is saying,  play what works best for you,   When epic came out, Hzrdus t800 (made for callaway], beat out everything

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

• 5 months later...

I was told by my fitter at TrueSpec yesterday that the primary issue with mass produced OEM shafts is lack of quality which he described as "the shaft lottery".  He went onto describe more specifics about why the aftermarket, higher priced shafts perform better and that a considerable part of this is much higher build quality to design specs.  He gave an example of folks coming in saying "I hit the PING XX with OEM stock XZ shaft at the demo and it was pure magic.  But the one I bought at Dicks does not perform as well".  The shaft at the demo was likely close to design spec and the one grabbed from the bin for the Dicks build not so much. 

So in addition to better performance and match to a player, higher priced shafts will not be a "luck of the draw" like mass produced ones.  Add yet another to the "you get what you pay for" list.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I agree with a lot of sentiments here to play what works and not always is an aftermarket better. I swing my 7 iron close to 100 and driver 118ish and I find aftermarket shafts give me peace of mind to go after a drive without fear of hooking. Velocore Ventus blue is extremely stable and smooth. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

• 10 months later...

I think every discussion I’ve read about after market shafts concerned only wood shafts. I’ve never seen a post along the lines of “the Recoil 95 shafts that come stock in irons are a lower quality than the ones you can buy on line.”  Things that make you go “hmmm”. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

2 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I think every discussion I’ve read about after market shafts concerned only wood shafts. I’ve never seen a post along the lines of “the Recoil 95 shafts that come stock in irons are a lower quality than the ones you can buy on line.”  Things that make you go “hmmm”. 

That’s because the recoils that are stock are the same you can buy online. They are only $40/shaft on golfworks. There’s no aftermarket version. There’s just the prototype version which is a slightly different shaft than the non prototype.