TESTERS WANTED! ×

Kids these days..?

azstu324

15 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Put me in that group as well.  Manners and etiquette can be taught.  We drill it into the kids at TFT constantly.  Someone just has to take the time.  We all had someone to show us the way.

I do particularly enjoy it when we make the kids introduce themselves to strangers.  It's fun to push them out of their comfort zones.

... Amen brother, there is always hope. When I was coaching my sons baseball team around age 12, I had a kid that was talented but was never on time, lazy, talked back, started trouble with his team mates and got thrown out of a game for giving the finger to an Ump. I was fair but pretty hard on him and halfway thru the season we had picture day at 10am and he didn't show up til the game at 3 pm. I told him I was benching him because he was the only one that didn't show up for the team picture. I asked him if he had a decent excuse and what he said shocked me deeply. With watery eyes that he fought, he told me he went with this Dad to pick up his Mom that was getting out of prison. She had served 5 years of a 10 year sentence. His parents had never shown up at a practice or a game, I now knew why.

... I treated him very differently from that moment on. I did not put up with any nonsense, but did so with respect, explanations and as much positive support as I could without being disingenuous. He began to change his attitude and became more of a team player. I am not gonna say it was an After School Special and he turned into a great kid, but he was better with his attitude and did not start any trouble with team mates. I would like to think I made an impression on him, but it was only a couple of months and I had no idea what his home life was like. In reality it was much of a learning experience for me as it was for him. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

15 hours ago, chisag said:

... Amen brother, there is always hope. When I was coaching my sons baseball team around age 12, I had a kid that was talented but was never on time, lazy, talked back, started trouble with his team mates and got thrown out of a game for giving the finger to an Ump. I was fair but pretty hard on him and halfway thru the season we had picture day at 10am and he didn't show up til the game at 3 pm. I told him I was benching him because he was the only one that didn't show up for the team picture. I asked him if he had a decent excuse and what he said shocked me deeply. With watery eyes that he fought, he told me he went with this Dad to pick up his Mom that was getting out of prison. She had served 5 years of a 10 year sentence. His parents had never shown up at a practice or a game, I now I knew why.

... I treated him very differently from that moment on. I did not put up with any nonsense, but did so with respect, explanations and as much positive support as I could without being disingenuous. He began to change his attitude and became more of a team player. I am not gonna say it was an After School Special and he turned into a great kid, but he was better with his attitude and did not start any trouble with team mates. I would like to think I made an impression on him, but it was only a couple of months and I had no idea what his home life was like. In reality it was much of a learning experience for me as out was for him. 

That's a great story, and you make an important point... you never know what's going on behind the scenes with other people. Not that we should lower our expectations, but we should modify our approach. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

That's a great story, and you make an important point... you never know what's going on behind the scenes with other people. Not that we should lower our expectations, but we should modify our approach. 

So true, my story with that.  When I was a hotel GM, we had a housekeeper who continually showed up at 8:20 to 8:25 every day, her shift started at 8:00.   Her manager wanted to suspend or fire her.  I told her, first we have to talk to her and find out what's going on.    

It was very simple, she was a single mother and her daughter didn't' get on the school bus until 7:30 and the next bus she could catch came at 8:00, thus getting her there around 8:20 to 8:30.   I asked if we changed her start time to 8:30 would she be able to work an extra half hour to get her rooms cleaned. She said no problem, as her mom was always able to be there in the afternoon to watch her daughter.   So we changed her start time to 8:30.  Guess what, she was still there by 8:20 to 8:25 every day, now she was early instead of late.   And she was a much more relaxed and productive employee. 

If managers would just take the time to find out the "why" behind behavior instead of just assuming it's out of not caring, they might be surprised at the results. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

So true, my story with that.  When I was a hotel GM, we had a housekeeper who continually showed up at 8:20 to 8:25 every day, her shift started at 8:00.   Her manager wanted to suspend or fire her.  I told her, first we have to talk to her and find out what's going on.    

It was very simple, she was a single mother and her daughter didn't' get on the school bus until 7:30 and the next bus she could catch came at 8:00, thus getting her there around 8:20 to 8:30.   I asked if we changed her start time to 8:30 would she be able to work an extra half hour to get her rooms cleaned. She said no problem, as her mom was always able to be there in the afternoon to watch her daughter.   So we changed her start time to 8:30.  Guess what, she was still there by 8:20 to 8:25 every day, now she was early instead of late.   And she was a much more relaxed and productive employee. 

If managers would just take the time to find out the "why" behind behavior instead of just assuming it's out of not caring, they might be surprised at the results. 

Maybe you could come speak to a lady in my office?!?!?  Last one in, first one out every day.  Always late, always leaving early.  Not to mention her daily hour and twenty minute lunch break! The saddest part to me is the fact that she has been here 25 years.  She feels entitled to the preferential treatment and she's right.  Otherwise, management would have done something 25 years ago!

Sometimes, it's simply about "want-to!"  She doesn't want to or she would be a better employee!

32 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Maybe you could come speak to a lady in my office?!?!?  Last one in, first one out every day.  Always late, always leaving early.  Not to mention her daily hour and twenty minute lunch break! The saddest part to me is the fact that she has been here 25 years.  She feels entitled to the preferential treatment and she's right.  Otherwise, management would have done something 25 years ago!

Sometimes, it's simply about "want-to!"  She doesn't want to or she would be a better employee!

That's a different conversation, and one I've had to have a few times...

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

We could crash this site if everyone were willing to share a story of a co-worker who drives them bonkers.

She sounds like a blast to work with.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

LOL...Sorry I share an office with her twin identity and nothing is done about it  And you're right, she is gets away with it because she's allowed to.   I have to remind  myself, I''m no longer the GM, Im just the sales guy now......and loving every minute of it.   

13 hours ago, bens197 said:

She sounds like a blast to work with.

My frustrations with her spilled over into this thread yesterday afternoon.  It's a drain on our entire office because we are left to pick up the slack.  I'm not sure why it's tolerated by management but after 25 years, it's not going to change.  It actually gets worse with time.  It's just frustrating because I'm the opposite.  First one in, last one out and expected to pick up her slack.

She was having computer problems yesterday.  When the IT guy came to fix it, his "after action report" listed "self-sabotage" as the only reason for the issues.  His IT firm is an outside agency so, he doesn't know her from "Adam," nor does he know the history.  She certainly didn't fool him.

14 hours ago, sixcat said:

My wife works with someone sort of like that.  Always texting on her phone, always on break, never actually doing any work.  But like I told my wife, that's on management and not on the employee.  If she gets away with it and no one says anything, and still has a job, then the message from management is, "keep doing what you are doing, because we're fine with it."

I don't lose sleep over things like that anymore.  I've also learned the hard way that busting ass and going above and beyond for a company that keeps people like you describe is a waste of time as well, because you'll never receive the recognition you deserve for trying to improve things for the company.  They either take the credit for it, or ignore your hard work.  I've done enough 16 hour days when no one else would to recognize that I was wasting my time trying to move ahead in this company.

So I just keep my head down, and do my job as best I can, and don't worry about others around me.  If management doesn't want to fix or change anything about people that I consider slackers and just barely do their jobs, then that's not my problem.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

16 minutes ago, sixcat said:

My frustrations with her spilled over into this thread yesterday afternoon.  It's a drain on our entire office because we are left to pick up the slack.  I'm not sure why it's tolerated by management but after 25 years, it's not going to change.  It actually gets worse with time.  It's just frustrating because I'm the opposite.  First one in, last one out and expected to pick up her slack.

She was having computer problems yesterday.  When the IT guy came to fix it, his "after action report" listed "self-sabotage" as the only reason for the issues.  His IT firm is an outside agency so, he doesn't know her from "Adam," nor does he know the history.  She certainly didn't fool him.

I like to use the phrase “tolerated behavior becomes the standard” at work and while I don’t know the specifics of your scenario, I can relate.  These people are vampires and suck the life out of the productive work force.  Your superiors are either afraid to confront her, too stupid to acknowledge or prefer to acquiesce in their role for fear of confrontation.  

Sorry for frustrations, these people truly are awful.   

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

These people are vampires

#facts.  Garlic in the desk drawers might be a good start.  Or a good stapler in jello 😁

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

#facts.  Garlic in the desk drawers might be a good start.  Or a good stapler in jello

You should take her into custardy
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

@azstu324, I had a situation When I was just starting to play, I sliced a ball and hit a house.. Being an "Adult", I went over to see if I caused any damage. I did not.. But the Home owner came out and went Ape Sh!t crazy. Telling me that it's people like me that make living on a golf course the worst and on and on.. When he finally stopped to catch his breath, I apologized told him that I was very sorry. He went off again, how Me saying I am sorry is supposed to make it all better, Mind you I did no damage, ball bounced off his deck.. He kept going on.. Being a total A$$hole.. I must have apologized 4-5 time.. then I finally had enough, I told him he was done yelling at me and it was time for him to accept my apology and go back inside. That set him off again.. I finally yelled Look if you want to keep this up Go ahead. I'm going to play golf.. I walked away. dropped and played on..

The whole point is A$$holes are just that.. no matter the age, sex, race, ect. Some people are just that way.. Your Daughter will always remember how YOU handle yourself, not so much how this knucklehead acted... try to be respectful, say your piece, and Move on.. in the grand scheme of things you have bigger concerns then this guy..

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

You should take her into custardy emoji6.png

You're so punny.  I'm afraid I'm not much into the whole lady vampire thing.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

On 1/28/2020 at 12:06 PM, azstu324 said:

I think that a lot of this goes back to the point about "if it isn't on social media then it never happened". Most of the people taking video aren't doing it for themselves so much as the opportunity to post it on Facebook, Instagram, etc. "look", "I was here", "I witnessed this event". "Please acknowledge and comment that what I am doing is important, cool, relevant, etc". Which is sad because it's almost as if they're attending the event for every other reason than for themselves. It really is a sad thing that psychologically, people feel like they can't survive without the acknowledgement of the social media world. 

I realize we have taken your thread way off track...sorry for that.  But I think you may have gotten what you needed out of it.

But in anycase, I meant to reply to this the other day when I saw it and got distracted...ha

But you are 100% spot on about the video/pics not being to save to view later as a reminder of the great event they saw.  It's an immediate rush to get it up on FB/IG or Twitter.  Just watch after the shot if the camera lingers, you'll see everyone immediately go to their phones and start uploading or posting it somewhere.  Not simply put the phone down and continue to watch.   Now I am 100% guilty of this sometimes, the video I posted last night of Red Panda at the basketball game.  There is close to a 100% chance that in two weeks or less, I'll even forget I have that video on my phone, it was all about the moment of "sharing" it to SM.   So I guess I can't come down to hard, other than to say, I like to think I wouldn't do that, if I was watching Rory Tee Off on a par 5 and bombing it 350.  I  like to think I would watch it with my own eye, not through a camera's eye, and just enjoy how much he crushed it.   But who knows 🙂 

... CG2,  I really struggle with this. Life is meant to be lived. I will acquiesce that I grew up without any kind DVR device let alone a computer in my pocket with a HD camera. So living in the moment was much easier in the 1960/70's than it is today with constant distractions that we just didn't have. I am not tied to my phone and often forget to even bring it with me, much to the chagrin of my agent. When I go to a concert I want to soak up every second LIVE because it is the only time I can. The atmosphere, the energy, the music and the spectacle because being 100% immersed is exactly why I am there! I can watch someone else's concert footage on my phone or TV at home if I wanted my experience to be reduced to a small box. I am just flabbergasted by folks over 50 that go to a concert to see The Eagles, Radiohead, ZZ Top orJoe Bonamassa and spend all or most of the night staring at their phone screen. And it isn't like a couple people, it seems closer to 40%. It was interesting to see the signs at the TOOL concert a few months ago that said you could be removed if you took any pictures or videos on your phone. Then before the last encore, Maynard told the audience that all the idiots (paraphrasing) could pull out their phones and record the last song. It was well over 50%. 😳

... Now I am not against technology or what it offers and love my iPhone but think it is a blessing and a curse. Standing on a tee box and being awed by the view and wishing to share on a golf forum does not take away from the live moment of playing while just waiting on the tee anyway. Or taking a picture with a playing partner to remember the day. Or any other stagnate videos/pictures if you can fully appreciate the moment you are in while not missing any of it, like a Pro golfer hitting it 350 at a tournament. Someone can say they just want to see a swing and study it, but of course you can find that online and in more detail than anything you can take yourself. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Chi-I can't disagree with any of that at all, based on your timeline, I'm perhaps your age or at most 5 years younger....I'll say it i'm 60 🙂    So I grew up with the same or same lack of technology for the most part that you reference.  I will admit despite some of my peers thinking I'm an antiquated old fart, I love all the new technology, for the most part.  I definitely think it has it's place and definitely has places where it should not be.   I'm with you 100% on the concerts.   I don't go to many, but I don't think I would be like the ones you referenced, maybe I might video 30 seconds of one song or something post/share, but I would much rather be immersed in the atmosphere. 

I liked it when they banned phones at golf tournaments, I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, by not being able to video.   Now my Fiance is 100% against all SM and just doesn't get the need to video/share or post anything like that, and see's works in the IT department of her company...ha     But she got really angry with me last year when we were at the Magic Kingdom and I video'd the majority of the fireworks display.   She felt I didn't experience the moment with her but rather 300 and some IG friends 🙂

Of course the next day when I was videoing Lexi in the Puma booth I had to convince here it was "for my job, and I had to do it"  😂

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Now my Fiance is 100% against all SM and just doesn't get the need to video/share or post anything like that, and see's works in the IT department of her company...ha

Actually, lots of us in tech are fairly cold on social media, especially after hours. It's nice to leave the digital behind and be analog for a few hours each day. 

But I do lurk on golf twitter, and I did just see this from ClubProGuy: 

It's funny to watch, no doubt, but it's sad as well. Someone needs to straighten this kid out. 

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

22 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Actually, lots of us in tech are fairly cold on social media, especially after hours. It's nice to leave the digital behind and be analog for a few hours each day. 

But I do lurk on golf twitter, and I did just see this from ClubProGuy: 

It's funny to watch, no doubt, but it's sad as well. Someone needs to straighten this kid out. 

Yep, I'm sure any course management that was watching that, had a nice talk with him and his coach.