30 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I play courses throughout western New York when I go back for visits and several have thick rough. Never once did I think when having p790s in my bag and having to hit from the rough “man I wish I had smaller soled clubs”

Exactly and there are no absolutes in golf. To say one club design is better from rough is putting an absolute in something that isn’t. 

Some people love hitting hybrids from the rough and others don’t or can’t. Doesn’t mean a hybrid is good or bad from the rough compared to shorter grass.

actually it does depending on the lie and only sith deal in absolutes....;)

4 minutes ago, gobama84 said:

I think @aussiegolfer05 has left the building.😎

... Seems like we have had several posts like this from first time posters here. Hmmmmmm ...

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I play courses throughout western New York when I go back for visits and several have thick rough. Never once did I think when having p790s in my bag and having to hit from the rough “man I wish I had smaller soled clubs”

Exactly and there are no absolutes in golf. To say one club design is better from rough is putting an absolute in something that isn’t. 

Some people love hitting hybrids from the rough and others don’t or can’t. Doesn’t mean a hybrid is good or bad from the rough compared to shorter grass.

everyone is different.....for me, moving to a 712 CB from a fat GI's was a godsend, especially in the rough......

3 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

everyone is different.....for me, moving to a 712 CB from a fat GI's was a godsend, especially in the rough......

As has been discussed in various threads some people don’t benefit from a wider sole compared to others and vice versa. @Golfspy_CG2 learned about this during his time at txg with the srixons. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As has been discussed in various threads some people don’t benefit from a wider sole compared to others and vice versa. @Golfspy_CG2 learned about this during his time at txg with the srixons. 

once again, i am in agreement on certain part...not sure where the debate is outside of others talking in absolutes that all people playing could benefit from GI.....its just not factual....play what works for you but get fit on course, not in a booth....

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

once again, i am in agreement on certain part...not sure where the debate is outside of others talking in absolutes that all people playing could benefit from GI.....its just not factual....play what works for you but get fit on course, not in a booth....

You are one of the ones taking in absolutes. Nobody that I have seen has said that all people playing could benefit from playing GI. Everyone has said that some will benefit while others won’t. Just like some will benefit from high bounce wedge where other won’t. 

It’s funny you say don’t get fit in a booth when one of the best fitters around who has experience fitting tour players identified the issue with the sole design not working for @Golfspy_CG2 from his swing in a “booth” and feedback about his experience on the course with the irons. 

There’s plenty of people who get fit in a booth and what they fit for have carry over to the same results on the course

• Like 1

Unfortunately hitting off a mat isnt the same as grass.  I know 2 pga pros on tour (nobody famous) and They both have told me its not even close to the same so ill take their word for it.  Thats why i say that.  

i think its time to move on.  This is starting to feel like wrx which i cant stand.   

Good debate though.  Catch u in another thread.  

• Like 1

Hello,

thanks for the feedback to all that have replied.

I think to add my original question I was wondering also at what point an not new set of clubs may hinder someone starting out.

For anyone else starting out this would be my advice to you from someone doing it.

A lot of people starting out may not be able or want to shell out for a brand new, fit for you, set of clubs. Older clubs (within reason, i am not talking hickory drivers and razor blades) are no issue but fitment can be, length is probably the key one I think but it is not the only consideration. Misfitting clubs will not help you develop a proper swing technique and may promote poor form. If you get a set that is in the ball park for length you can get a golf shop to adjust lie angles for you, which is what I have now done and you'll be at a good starting point. From there quality of mishits would become a matter of personal preference based on what you want out of the game and how much you are enjoying playing it.

18 hours ago, aussiegolfer05 said:

Hello,

thanks for the feedback to all that have replied.

I think to add my original question I was wondering also at what point an not new set of clubs may hinder someone starting out.

For anyone else starting out this would be my advice to you from someone doing it.

A lot of people starting out may not be able or want to shell out for a brand new, fit for you, set of clubs. Older clubs (within reason, i am not talking hickory drivers and razor blades) are no issue but fitment can be, length is probably the key one I think but it is not the only consideration. Misfitting clubs will not help you develop a proper swing technique and may promote poor form. If you get a set that is in the ball park for length you can get a golf shop to adjust lie angles for you, which is what I have now done and you'll be at a good starting point. From there quality of mishits would become a matter of personal preference based on what you want out of the game and how much you are enjoying playing it.

The easiest answer is that you should play the newest most forgiving clubs you can afford.  If they're fit to you, even better.  If you're not pretty average sized, then fitted clubs becomes even more important.  I'm not saying that average sized people don't benefit from fitted clubs, but I have a friend that is 6'10.  He definitely benefits more than I do from fitted clubs.

Less forgiving clubs may give more feedback.  I think they do, but others don't.  But to make the game easier and more enjoyable, playing with newer more forgiving clubs seems like an obvious choice.  Would you still benefit from practicing some with older less forgiving clubs?  I think you might, but I could be wrong.