TESTERS WANTED! ×

MaxFli or Snell

Trip D

7 minutes ago, Trip D said:

I'm going to take the advice of MGS and start playing one ball, although it means giving away a few dozen balls of various makes.  I'm over 70, handicap 16, swing speed  between 85-90.  What do you think would be the best choice for my game?

Have you looked through the forums Snell and Maxfli ball testing threads?  Based on your info I'm guessing the Snell MTB Black and the Maxfli Tour will be your best match.  I'd suggest getting a sleeve or two of each MTB, MTB X, Tour and Tour X and see which works best.  Have fun.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, Trip D said:

I'm going to take the advice of MGS and start playing one ball, although it means giving away a few dozen balls of various makes.  I'm over 70, handicap 16, swing speed  between 85-90.  What do you think would be the best choice for my game?

I've played both a lot in the last year, I think both are very good. I like the Dean Snell story, and I like the cover/feel of the Snell slightly better. That said, I'm playing the MaxFli Tour in Green.  It performs, the color works for the winter haze in my area and I live 5 minutes from a DSGs. With their coupons/sales. They are almost always $20/doz or less. If I could walk into a store and get the Snells or even the Vice Pros at that price, I'd probably play them. But for price/convenience/play-ability, the MaxFli do the trick for me. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I really appreciate all the answers you folks have provided.  I don't hit the ball far enough with enough spin to probably make much of a difference in what I play.  I have a few dozen of the older version of Chrome Soft, and after seeing what MGS found with those, I'm hesitant to use them up.  I like the tests on the Snells and MaxFli's that MGS did, and figured I'd probably go with one of those.  Interestingly, I've been using a 13 degree, regular flex shaft driver for several years, but when I took the $9 driver fitting of MGS, it suggested I go to a Wilson D7, 9 degree in a stiff flex, which was also interesting, because I've been a Wilson Staff guy for years. (and they couldn't have known that....)

Edited by Trip D
5 hours ago, Middler said:

scoring doesn’t correlate closely with what they spend on golf balls...

We think alike. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Trip I was part of the Maxfli Ball testing this year. Of the bakers dozen of us who tested both version of the Maxfli I think the results leaned slightly towards “for” both versions. I did not feel this way. I prefer my normal gamer which just happens to be the Snell range of balls. I’m 54 and my swing speed is just slightly higher than yours as quoted. I recommend buying a box of Maxfli and Snell as a comparison study.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Id honestly go Cut Red because you cant beat the price and its a decent ball.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 1/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, Middler said:

I just buy 4-6 dozen Snell MTB’s at a time and get an even lower price! It only takes a few days after you order, and they come to your door with no additional shipping cost. Easier than driving somewhere to buy balls. I can see when I’m getting low and order, I’ve been ordering when I break open my last dozen. 

Isn’t Golfworks mail order? If so, same availability as Snell...

Well, Golf Works direct would be mail order, however, Dicks Sporting goods owns GW.  So the sales at GW can be seen at Dicks.

56 minutes ago, Middler said:

I just thought it was odd YOU cited an online source (Golf Works) and then said “my issue with Snell and other specialty balls is availability when you run out” in the next sentence???

And I don’t think Dick’s owns Golf Works. Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith (now defunct) yes.

You are correct on both counts, Dick's owns both, 2006 I think. I know the last time I was at the GW warehouse in Newark, OH 2019 they had a lot of kakak parts and piece ready for shipment. 

When Dick's has the Maxfli Tour on sale for 2 dozen for $50 it is really hard to beat.  At full price I would go for Snell.  I have played the Black and the MTB X and they were both performed well for me.  Based on the MSG ball test both of the balls should perform very close to the same.   I am still trying to decide on my 2020 ball and purchased 2 dozen Maxfli tour balls to try out in the spring.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index