Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Analyze this putting stroke?

Looks fine to me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Overall looks pretty good and I really like the tempo of your stroke.  My guess is that your typical miss is a push to the right because the putter occasionally wants to work a little to far inside on the takeaway, making it more difficult to return the club face to square.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Looks like an inside down the line stroke. Path seems fairly consistent and your putts seemed to end up in the same spot so face angle may not be too bad but don’t know how far to putt was rolling. Guessing about 6 ft. Ball position seemed to keep moving closer to you with each putt. Consistency is key.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Looks like an inside down the line stroke. Path seems fairly consistent and your putts seemed to end up in the same spot so face angle may not be too bad but don’t know how far to putt was rolling. Guessing about 6 ft. Ball position seemed to keep moving closer to you with each putt. Consistency is key.

Can verify on the ball position: I put my cursor on the center of the ball for the first putt, and the subsequent balls were moving closer (without a repositioning of the feet). Was this (perhaps) an adjustment to the first putt missing right?

Otherwise, it looks like a very functional stroke. Do you have a typical miss?

The biggest question that I get from you video is regarding the matchup between your stroke (which seems to have a decent amount of arc) and the putter (which, from the looks of the shaft, is face-balanced).

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

you guys are all correct in that my typical miss is to the right.  The putt is about 8 - 10 feet if I had to guess?  It's a birdieball green that is 12' long, but I started the ball about 3'ish feet in I guess?

I didn't even think about me adjusting where I started the ball at, but perhaps I could put a piece of tape down where I want to start it for consistency.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

?
I didn't even think about me adjusting where I started the ball at, but perhaps I could put a piece of tape down where I want to start it for consistency.

Control the things you can control: setup, ball position, tempo, putter path, face angle, etc. basically everything before the ball leaves the putter. the more consistent you become there, the more consistent your roll will become. This is why i use putter and ball gates, mirrors, and lines to roll the ball on. This isn’t mechanics, it is just making your stroke consistent, using a feel based approach should work.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That's all you have to do. Please read the green and judge pace. There's no substitute for practice with specific goals IME. The more I practice, the better I putt.

Yep, Green reading and pace are important. Just Difficult to practice and execute if you cant make a consistent stroke.

you guys are all correct in that my typical miss is to the right.  The putt is about 8 - 10 feet if I had to guess?  It's a birdieball green that is 12' long, but I started the ball about 3'ish feet in I guess?

I’ll echo golfspy up above. Your stroke has too much arc for a face balanced putter. That’s partly why you miss putts to the right. Toehang helps the face close. Face balanced putters want to stay the way they are in motion so if you take it back inside, the face points to the right and wants to stay that way. You need a little toe flow to help square it up at impact.

Apart from that it’s hard to say much because we can’t see you, only the putter head. But from what I could tell the stroke itself seemed fine as far as tempo, length of backswing and forward swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

8 hours ago, bluesmandan76 said:

I’ll echo golfspy up above. Your stroke has too much arc for a face balanced putter. That’s partly why you miss putts to the right. Toehang helps the face close. Face balanced putters want to stay the way they are in motion so if you take it back inside, the face points to the right and wants to stay that way. You need a little toe flow to help square it up at impact.

Apart from that it’s hard to say much because we can’t see you, only the putter head. But from what I could tell the stroke itself seemed fine as far as tempo, length of backswing and forward swing.

Toe hang does NOT help the face close. In fact it's the opposite. More toe hang slows the closure rate. 

I'm sorry, but your post is incorrect. 

Skip to the 6 minute mark 

On 1/28/2020 at 1:48 PM, Mr. 82 said:

I've used a sharpie on my BB green to good effect.  A small dot for ball placement could be a better solution than tape.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Toe hang does NOT help the face close. In fact it's the opposite. More toe hang slows the closure rate. 

Yep, this is correct. While I commented on the match up between the stroke shape and the toe hang, it's why I asked if he had a typical miss. While it's "unorthodox" to go strong arc with a face balanced putter, if the typical miss is to the right, adding weight on the toe is a bad move.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

5 hours ago, jlukes said:

HA...we shared the same video hours apart for different reasons, so much good info in here.     I remember the first time I saw this one, the analogy to the driver with the weight being in the toe helping to promote a fade....was the light going off moment for me!  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

No. Let me explain. Toe hang can increase the likelihood of blocking a putt IF your tempo is too fast (think of a push stroke with a short backswing and long follow through) where you accelerate too much. That is NOT the case here. He has an easy flowing tempo, not rushed, not accelerating hard.

With a stroke that has a slower easier tempo, a face balanced putter wants to open up a bit because its face balancing causes it to want to point the face to the sky. It’s gravity interacting with the putter head.

A face balanced putter is better for someone with a push stroke or a fast tempo, especially if they have a quick transition, because the face wants to stay in line with the shaft. It stays stable during a fast transition or a harder acceleration, whereas a toe hang putter would fly open.

Slower tempo, easy flowing, swinging stroke needs some toe hang, especially if they “release” the putter head through impact, or if they have a light grip (not gripping it very tightly, I mean). If they release early (and pull it) a face balanced putter can help correct this a little.

This is NOT about how much you roll the putter open and close it through impact— that is always wrong!!! The putter should always stay square to your arc, which is really about how upright or flat the plane is on which the putterhead moves. Square to the plane is square to the arc. The more upright the plane, the less arc, and the less toe hang you will need. The flatter the plane, the more arc, and thus the more toe hang you will need, because of the way gravity pulls at the putter head — which makes the face balanced putter want to open up and face the sky, an effect that is more noticeable the flatter the plane is. (Lay a face balanced putter on the edge of a table and watch how quickly it flops open. The putter that has toehang has its center of gravity closer to the shaft and not so rearward, so gravity doesn’t affect it quite as much.)

Gravity affects the slower stroke more, and pulls the toe of the putter down, squaring it up. Think about it this way: it’s the same reason that antislice drivers have a lot of offset... as you swing the driver the toe pulls out away from you, closing the face. It’s the same principle here. Most toe hang putters have a shaft of offset, with the shaft axis at the heel (like a driver) that interacts with the toe and gravity to help close the face. The shaft axis of the face balanced putter is through the face center, not the heel.

Your plane is affected by your height and by how you hinge or rotate to power your stroke. A tall man who swings from the shoulders will have a very upright plane and little arc.

A short man who hinges from the elbows or has a handsy stroke will have a flat plane and lots of arc.

But the tempo of the stroke, speed of transition, how much acceleration, and how tightly one grips it can be more important than the plane or arc.

All of these elements interact and need to be accounted for in a full fitting.

Based on what I can see in the video, he needs a bit of toe hang because of his easy flowing stroke.

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

The only thing I see in the putting stroke is that you have a slight arc in your stroke, and it seems that your putter face is open at impact and I believe that’s the reason for the putts to the right. As for fixing. No sure. A face balanced putter wants to stay straight back and straight through, a little practice on the takeaway to keep the putter straight back will keep the face square. It looks like you have a natural slight arc in your stroke, some good practice with a slight toe hang putter may work great for your stroke. I think it’s just a little practice and small adjustments that are needed. Knowing that the face is open at impact is good information, what you do with it up to you. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Sorry, I cannot offer much as I honestly know very little about putter designs and how they align with ones putting stroke.  Your tempo and ability to repeat the putting line looks very good.  This is really a whole new topic and area of interest for me as I have an unfitted putter I picked up from a pro shop, using an award from a company tournament,  back in 1988 😆.  I've been told my putting stroke/tempo is good and I would place myself in the "average" category for putting performance.  Much better lagging than inside 4 feet.  I'm convinced that needs to change from "average" to "above average" if I hope to achieve my single digit goal.

I plan to do a PING putter fitting next time we're over in Surprise, AZ.  A putter fitting... something I would never have imagined me doing... until joining MGS and learning from all you Golfologists. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)