Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Wedge fitting anyone?

tony@CIC

Has anyone had a wedge specific fitting? If so did you find much difference between different brands of wedges with the same loft and bounce? In addition to my PW and AW, I carry a 52* RTX 3.0, a 56* RTX 3.0 and a 60* Ping EYE2. The EYE2 works well for me but is beginning to show a lot of wear and I'm thinking of upgrading it. FYI, I did have a 60* RTX 3.0 but it just didn't work for me.  I'm debating whether I should just replace it with the Glide 3.0 60* EYE2 or go down the path of trying different brands with the same loft and bounce.   

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

17 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Has anyone had a wedge specific fitting? If so did you find much difference between different brands of wedges with the same loft and bounce? In addition to my PW and AW, I carry a 52* RTX 3.0, a 56* RTX 3.0 and a 60* Ping EYE2. The EYE2 works well for me but is beginning to show a lot of wear and I'm thinking of upgrading it. FYI, I did have a 60* RTX 3.0 but it just didn't work for me.  I'm debating whether I should just replace it with the Glide 3.0 60* EYE2 or go down the path of trying different brands with the same loft and bounce.   

You bring up a very good OVER LOOKED topic.

I find many golfers are using the wrong bounce for the course being played. One course I play has approach areas like concrete, well my 12* bounce wedge stays home.

Same could be said with hard/wet sand bunkers.

However golf is a sport where players use what they like not what should be used. IMO

Shaft length is another item seen. Some have off the shelf length at up to 1" longer,

shorter than other wedges in the bag. 

Some like like PW longer, same as GAP with 52* and up shorter etc.

Thanks for the topic ⛳✌️

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I've got a 56 RTX 2.0 CB and picked up a 60 Glide 2.0 for more loft and less bounce on touchy shots green side. Loving the Glide 2.0 SS grind so far, could be a discount option to Glide 3.0 if price is a consideration. I don't use it out of the sand, but do usually play it slightly open and am not missing the high toe area from the Eye 2 profile. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I had a wedge fitting as part of a full bag fitting at TPI.  So  while Vokey was the only brand we obviously tried.   We did experiment with different grinds and bounce.   I generally play 3 medium bounce and one high bounce wedge, in 46,50,54,58 configuration.  

I'll be going back for a more in-depth fitting once the SM8 are out.  The Long game specific fitting helped my game so much last year.  I'm eager to see what the wedge fitting will result in. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

A wedge fitting much like putter fittings are not as main stream as the full swing fitting but are just as important.

I would think that as many if not more strokes can be found after these fittings.

Bounce, loft, grind, length, shaft weight, grip all need to be considered.

tony@CIC don't leave out Wilson to go with your C300s the new forged wedge does come in a 60 and looks pretty nice.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I've never had a wedge fitting.  Been happy with my SCORs, and now my Callaway PM Grind 54 and 60, even though the bounce is high on my firm turf.  I need a gap wedge, and the Callaway doesn't suit me.  Maybe Cleveland CBX2.  I may try a wedge fitting when I look at drivers later this year.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I did a wedge fitting when the SM7 released. You can find the review in my signature.

Due to the huge amount of combinations they offer, it was much easier to find the best combo of loft, bounce and grind with Vokey.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 4 weeks later...

Turf/sand conditions is the #1 factor in picking wedges. I think they all top names perform pretty much the same, but choice of bounce needs to match conditions. Hit 'em all!!

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)