TESTERS WANTED! ×

How to drop 20 pounds in 4 months

Mr. 82

I watched this documentary about 4 months ago and weighed 165 lbs. I stopped drinking soft drinks/soda/pop (whatever you want to call it) and have tried to eliminate as much sugar from my diet as possible since. I weighed myself yesterday and was about 145 lbs. I attribute the weight loss to eliminating sugary soft drinks from my diet, as well as a lot of other things like ice cream that contain a TON of sugar.

Honestly the goal was not to lose weight, because any of you who know me, know that I have never been overweight at all, and I can typically eat whatever I want with no penalty, weight wise. But honestly my liver has been talking to me, as well as my bladder in saying that it could no longer tolerate or process all of the sugar in my diet, through constant need to urinate, as well as indigestion after almost every meal.

Beyond trying to eliminate as much sugar as I could from my diet, I started drinking more water. My indigestion is gone for the most part, and the weight loss speaks for itself.

I am saying all of this as a public PSA to watch this documentary. It was a no BS watch and you can decide for yourself what you want to do with this information in your own lives and diet.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've been working at eliminating sugar and caffeine  from my diet - man is it tough. Sugar is in everything. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Just now, tony@CIC said:

I've been working at eliminating sugar and caffeine  from my diet - man is it tough. Sugar is in everything. 

Yeah, you have to read labels and do some research.  My wife simplified it by saying, "shop at the edges of the stores, and avoid the middle sections."  Meaning, fresh produce and meats, vegetables, dairy, etc.  Anything processed probably has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it (most breads).

One surprising outlier, at least that I discovered was English Muffins.

Weight loss boils down to calorie/energy vs calorie/energy out. Weight training combined with eating in a caloric deficit will help even more.

Eating “bad stuff” in moderation makes the lifestyle change easier to sustain. The key is how you handle the reverse dieting after reaching your goal to avoid not only adding on the weight/fat you lost but from gaining more than you lost

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

Weight loss boils down to calorie/energy vs calorie/energy out. Weight training combined with eating in a caloric deficit will help even more.

Eating “bad stuff” in moderation makes the lifestyle change easier to sustain. The key is how you handle the reverse dieting after reaching your goal to avoid not only adding on the weight/fat you lost but from gaining more than you lost

Well, I wasn't trying to lose weight, and honestly, with this being a permanent change in diet, I am curious to see where my weight ultimately ends up.  I was about 140 lbs when I left the Marine Corps, and 125 lbs when I entered the Marine Corps (the additional 15 lbs was pure muscle after 12 weeks of boot camp).  I will worry about losing too much weight if and when I get below 140 lbs.  But in all of this you have to change your diet as a lifestyle change, and not just a temporary thing.  You hear people all the time saying that they want to lose 20 pounds, and then they might lose it and then go back to the way they were eating/living prior to the diet.  Well, duh, of course you are going to gain it all back.  You have to change the lifestyle/diet, and incorporate it permanently to make the change last.  Otherwise your body just returns to what you did before, and the weight comes right back and probably then some.

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Exactly 

afe062f7ddd84ab72e1bd976ac3d4431.jpg

34 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

You’re not kidding about sugar...modified corn products are in nearly every processed food...the documentary Food Inc made me sick to my stomach when I first watched it. 

As far as the caffeine goes, that will be the last thing I drop. There’s always a pot going at work...a firehouse without coffee isn’t a firehouse 😉

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Good on you for eliminating the sugar.  I had a flight surgeon that told me that sugar is modern poison.  It  is one of the most addictive substances known to man and, you are correct, it is in just about every processed food that we find in the grocery.  In my case, I avoid processed food when possible...that means a lot more food prep in our house, but in the long run it is worth it.  Let us know where your weight stabilizes.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

• 1 year later...

20 pounds is about 8 kg, is to calculate using the kg to lbs converter. In my opinion, it is possible to lose this amount of weight, only if you have a special regime of eating and going to the gym. The most important thing is the food you are eating and how often you go to the gym. I can recommend you wear warm clothes at the gym because you will sweat more while you work out, so you will burn more fats. Also going regularly is very important. Every training is essential. Passing a day can change a lot of things and ruin your regime.

Edited by Samanthacoll