TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tommy Armour 2020?

ZenGolfer

Any news about TA coming out with anything new for '20?  On another site I saw some pictures of what looks like players' irons and a putter.  The irons look amazing the putter looked like some kind of prototype.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

From MyGolfSpy Twitter:
Screenshot_20200129-203352_Firefox-01.jpeg

I think it's a player's distance revival of the 845 irons. Don't quote me on that, but that is what it seems like to me. Hopefully someone here more in the know will have more information.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hope these are deserving of the 845 name.  Brings back so many memories of highschool and taking out the demo set to hit the long irons.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

very interesting look..

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

So, I know we discount the Hot List around here, but the 845 Forged and regular old 845 were included in the Player's Distance and GI irons respectfully if you want sneak a peak.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

They appear to have a matte top and shiny chrome bottom half finish... nice looking.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I think those 845s are what I saw.  I really like the looks of them.  They kind of remind me of the old Mizuno MP 52s.  I kind of hope now they dont come out with anything in putters that really blows me away.  Yesterday I bought a TA Infusion Roslin.  They had them marked down to $99 and I had a $10 reward card and they had them in 33".  I was going to buy an Impact #1 but I was able to buy a better putter at a great deal and wont need to have it cut down and regripped.

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

• 3 weeks later...

So, it would appear that the Atomic line is dead for 2020.  All I see for irons is the 845, 845 Max and 845 womens' irons and the Atomic driver/FW/hybrids are pretty steeply discounted and I see they have 845 driver/FW/hybrid.

Thats kind of a bummer but I also realize that DSG probably doesnt have enough room in the TA line for the Atomic and 845.

I stopped by a DSG this morning after seeing the MGS article yesterday and wanted to check out the irons in person. I was pretty surprised not to see any of the 845 irons available on the floor. I know that DSG has different levels of golf sub-sections and that they vary by store (so not every store will have every version of the irons). However, if you want the market to view you as more than a knock-off brand, I feel like you need to take yourself seriously to have the base model of your irons available on the release date in every store. 

I don't see myself ever taking the time to go back to DSG to look at the new 845s so in my mind that's a marketing opportunity missed for them. 

Driver:   :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 10.5* ... MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 (s)
Fw woods: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback 14.5*/18.5* ... Fujikura Atmos Blue 7 (s)
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback One Length 4hy/5hy ... Fujikura ATMOS 7 ONE Length (s)
Irons:    6-Gw :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal ... Aerotech SteelFiber i95 (s)
Wedges:  :ping-small:  Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 52*/56* ... AWT 2.0 (w)
Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red "L" Neck
Ball:  MfleKCg.jpg Pro

I stopped in the local DSG today to pick up a couple gloves, a pitch mark repair tool and a couple boxes of balls and I was just kind of window shopping and noticed they had a couple sets of the TA 845 irons in stock.  They had the womens' and the 845 Max.

Theyre chunky, have offset and they have deep cavities but thats exactly what someone who is a newbie or a high-hanicapper wants.  They look very classy and high-quality though.  They certainly dont look like, "budget" clubs.  Honestly, there were a couple sets of Cobras next to them and they kind of made the Cobras look cheap.

I didnt really see any of the other new TA stuff out but I wasnt exactly looking for it either.

I wish they would have had the regular 845s but I didnt see any.  I dont really want to compare the 845 Max to my Atomics because its not really fair to them.  I would say though that I could put the 845 Max in my bag tomorrow and be very happy with them.

I find it interesting that they dont include a 4-iron with the Max set though.  I think that it would be fine, as a high handicapper would probably be better off with a 5-wood or 4-hybrid over a 4-iron anyways but it was just interesting.  The price was good too, I believe they had them marked at $599 for the 5-AW set.

• 1 month later...

I assume DSG still owns the Tommy Armour name?

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I am pretty sure they still do

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I wonder who designs the equipment DSG ownsd. They are doing a good job who ever it is.

D  :ping-small: G30

3W :Hogan: coming soon

5W :ping-small: G30

Irons :Hogan: Ptx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42,46 degrees

PW  :Hogan: TK 50 degree

SW :cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 56 degree

LW :cleveland-small:  Rotex 2.0 60 degree

P    :ping-small:    Sigma G Anser

Ball 1 :taylormade-small: Tour Response    Ball 2 :Snell: Mtb-x

Bag 1 :Hogan: Mini Tour            Bag 2 :Hogan: Stand

I wonder who designs the equipment DSG ownsd. They are doing a good job who ever it is.
I used to work for them. Both Dick's and TaylorMade are headquartered in Pittsburgh. I can't say for certain TM makes them, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 4/6/2020 at 9:42 AM, Titleist87 said:

They do.

2 minutes ago, Ben Hogan mark said:

Their R&D and production is done by Performax.  Performax also works with Tour Edge, PRGR, OnOff, Yamaha, XXIO and Ryoma.

You might find this an interesting read: https://mygolfspy.com/tommy-armour-isnt-what-you-think/

2 hours ago, zrumble said:

First thoughts are outstanding. Will post more about it once I compare it more in depth with my Ping Karsten PAL.

2 hours ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

They do.

Their R&D and production is done by Performax.  Performax also works with Tour Edge, PRGR, OnOff, Yamaha, XXIO and Ryoma.

You might find this an interesting read: https://mygolfspy.com/tommy-armour-isnt-what-you-think/

Thanks. It was an interesting read.

D  :ping-small: G30

3W :Hogan: coming soon

5W :ping-small: G30

Irons :Hogan: Ptx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42,46 degrees

PW  :Hogan: TK 50 degree

SW :cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 56 degree

LW :cleveland-small:  Rotex 2.0 60 degree

P    :ping-small:    Sigma G Anser

Ball 1 :taylormade-small: Tour Response    Ball 2 :Snell: Mtb-x

Bag 1 :Hogan: Mini Tour            Bag 2 :Hogan: Stand

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 5:55 PM, ZenGolfer said:

So, it would appear that the Atomic line is dead for 2020.  All I see for irons is the 845, 845 Max and 845 womens' irons and the Atomic driver/FW/hybrids are pretty steeply discounted and I see they have 845 driver/FW/hybrid.

Thats kind of a bummer but I also realize that DSG probably doesnt have enough room in the TA line for the Atomic and 845.

I'm glad I loaded up on the Atomic drivers and woods when they started dumping them. The FWs especially are amazing, I've hit some 3w shots with it that I didn't think were possible.

On 4/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, Sparky14 said:

I'm glad I loaded up on the Atomic drivers and woods when they started dumping them. The FWs especially are amazing, I've hit some 3w shots with it that I didn't think were possible.

Amen.  I was knocking the cover off the ball with my Atomic driver and 5-wood when I played on Monday.  They really are wonderful clubs.

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

Amen.  I was knocking the cover off the ball with my Atomic driver and 5-wood when I played on Monday.  They really are wonderful clubs.

I haven't even taken the plastic off my 5w. The 3w and 3h are working great, but I still bought the 5w just in case.

7 hours ago, Sparky14 said:

I haven't even taken the plastic off my 5w. The 3w and 3h are working great, but I still bought the 5w just in case.

I like my 5w.  Its a solid, reliable, consistent 210-yard club.

• 1 month later...

So, I picked up a TA Serrano putter today and its wonderful.  Very well crafted and has a nice, soft feel to it.  I also recently ordered an 845 4-hybrid and its supposed to be here on Friday, so we'll see how that gets on hopefully this weekend.

I also messed around with the 845 and 845 Forged irons on the sim at GG and they seem to work really well.  I find them to be easier to hit than my Atomics and I noticed that TA went back to more traditional modern lofts instead of the super strong lofts that the Atomics have.  The PW on the 845 is 43.5* and 43* on the Forge, unlike the 41.5* that the PW in the Atomic set has.  That makes me wonder if TA didnt learn that the Atomics were a bit too strong for most people.

Im still debating picking up a set of 845s in the fall because theyre already marked down to around $300.  I dont know that I would spend $1K on the Forged but Id drop $300 on the regular 845s.