Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Winter at Kiawah Islands Ocean Course

SteddyGolf

The Ocean Course lives up to its billing. This meticulously maintained golf wonderland is worth the price of admission and will leave you with a life long memory of a great experience.

Winter in South Carolina is a bit of a tease. We get mornings in the 20s and afternoons in the lower 40s. The tease comes when you get that unexpected day or two in the 60s with beautiful warming rays from the sun. Any real southern golfer will always have the weatherman on speed dial! This week I got that call.

Two days of sun and 60 degrees in the forecast I loaded my car with clubs and bull dog then headed to Kiawah Island. Although I love Charleston and have visited countless times I’ve never trekked down for an island adventure. Every part of this trip was spur of the moment flying by the seat of my pants. I left Columbia Monday afternoon at 3:00 pm and made lodging as well as a tee time reservations while en route. Rolling the dice both reservations turned out wonderfully. I stayed in a Villa 2 miles from the course and tee time was locked in at 10am the next morning.

I woke up early Tuesday morning arriving at the course 2 hours before my start time. My thinking? If I’m going to spend 300 dead presidents for a round of golf I’m going to take in the entire Ocean Course experience. Upon arrival I was greeted by smiling faces and an extremely professional staff. They grabbed my bag and cart while I checked in with the Pro Shop. I told the attendant my tee time was 10 but I could go early if it’s available. He said, “well Mr. Sloan our first tee time is not until 9 but if you would like you can go out ahead of them right now.” I jumped on the opportunity like two hobos on a ham sandwich.

The Ocean Course is simply immaculate. They only allow walkers so the grass is “Masters like”. Akin to most resort courses they had numerous tees to choose from. As a matter of fact the Ocean Course has 5 sets of tees so as to allow for many different skill levels. I chose the Dye tees; approximately 6400 yards on Tuesday.

If you google “list of hardest courses in American” you’ll find the Ocean Course to be at the top of many of those lists. Yes, it lived up to that reputation and while it is challenging it is not unfair. If you are able to keep the ball in play you will be rewarded. If you are not........you are severely punished. I’m sure tournament week they amp it up several notches but when it’s prepped for the regular Joe my assessment is it’s manageable. This is not to say you won’t need an extra sleeve or two of balls for out of bounds usually means out of play.

The greens even in the colder weather are fast. I found their speed to make for extremely difficult chipping and reasonable putting. Fast greens mean; read the putt, start it on line, check your pace and you will hear it fall. Getting that same pace right while chipping was crazy difficult.

The course was designed with elevated tee boxes on every hole so that the Golfer can see the Ocean in the horizon. Truth be told I didn’t see said Ocean until he 11th hole. I think the elevated tees were Mr Dyes sick joke on us mere humans because while they didn’t necessarily give you a glimpse of the waters they did put you right into the teeth of the wind. High ball hitters beware!

After the round I stopped in the restaurant for the best $19 burger I’ve ever tasted. I left with a full belly, a full heart, and a satisfied soul.

IMG_0226.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

A 74 on that course is beyond stellar. The wind must not have been as extreme as when my brother played it and saw drives of 150 yards into the teeth of that wind.

I’d like to play that course someday, but it’s got to be with friends. Playing solo means the experience dies after I leave the course with no one to reminisce over it for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

A 74 on that course is beyond stellar. The wind must not have been as extreme as when my brother played it and saw drives of 150 yards into the teeth of that wind.

I’d like to play that course someday, but it’s got to be with friends. Playing solo means the experience dies after I leave the course with no one to reminisce over it for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wind was blowing but not to the extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

74 - nice round!

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I live in the area (Charleston) and go out to the course for lunch ever so often. The 17th hole (Par 3) is EXTREMELY daunting if there is a mild or more wind. It blows from the right side (ocean side). You have to hit the ball out over the water and have faith the wind blows it back across towards the green. You can't bail out left (if i remember correctly) bc its a big grassy hill.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I live in the area (Charleston) and go out to the course for lunch ever so often. The 17th hole (Par 3) is EXTREMELY daunting if there is a mild or more wind. It blows from the right side (ocean side). You have to hit the ball out over the water and have faith the wind blows it back across towards the green. You can't bail out left (if i remember correctly) bc its a big grassy hill.

I hit a 3/4 hybrid with everything I had! It just made it to the front edge of the green. A little bit of luck on my side I rolled a 30 footer to within a grips length to cup.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Played 9 again today. I’m up to about 72 holes with the S.C. now. While I’ve not employed all the functions I’m really getting use to having it on my hip. It’s almost like a woobbie blanket to a baby. I don’t really need it but it sure makes me feel warm and cozy.

I don’t like the keyboard. My fat fingers make searching for courses an adventure.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

15 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

Played 9 again today. I’m up to about 72 holes with the S.C. now. While I’ve not employed all the functions I’m really getting use to having it on my hip. It’s almost like a woobbie blanket to a baby. I don’t really need it but it sure makes me feel warm and cozy.

I don’t like the keyboard. My fat fingers make searching for courses an adventure.

I've found that when searching for courses, it is a load easier hitting the "nearby" courses tab at the top of the screen so I don't keep hitting the wrong letters. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Love the Ocean course...Here's a piece of advise for those who are warriors....Play one of the other courses first. Play the Ocean as a replay. It's half price. Ends up being 2 for 1. 

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X