TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pebble Beach Raising it’s Rates (again)

Mr. 82

https://www.golf.com/travel/2020/01/29/pebble-beach-greens-fees-increase-2020/

So $575 for greens fees, $95 for caddie and then tip the caddie for whatever you think that’s worth.

You haven’t even started discussing the cost of lodging either at the resort or somewhere else close by.

At the end of the article, the man sums it up perfectly when he says that it’s probably cheap when you consider they are at 100% occupancy year round.

So this begs the question; how high can they jack their rates before demand recedes from sold out year round?

I guess it’s kinda like Disney in that people will pay whatever they are charging because of where it is and what it is.

As for me, I would rather head to Bandon Dunes or Cabot Links and get a whole lot more golf for the money then I’d get at Pebble. Same deal with how much they charge for a round at Pinehurst #2. I’ll play Pine Needles and Mid Pines and pay for a hotel for less money then what I’d pay for the greens fees at #2 and get a better golf experience.

P.T. Barnum was spot on when he said, “there’s a sucker born every minute.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

The only thing that sucks about Pebble is you will have a near 6 hour round....What is the right price? Economics 101 if every tee time is booked 100%....they are undercharging. I agree Bandon is a much better bang for your buck, so is Cabot. But Pebble is iconic and deserves an at bat occasionally.  

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

On 1/29/2020 at 6:36 PM, Mr. 82 said:

https://www.golf.com/travel/2020/01/29/pebble-beach-greens-fees-increase-2020/

So $575 for greens fees, $95 for caddie and then tip the caddie for whatever you think that’s worth.

You haven’t even started discussing the cost of lodging either at the resort or somewhere else close by.

At the end of the article, the man sums it up perfectly when he says that it’s probably cheap when you consider they are at 100% occupancy year round.

So this begs the question; how high can they jack their rates before demand recedes from sold out year round?

I guess it’s kinda like Disney in that people will pay whatever they are charging because of where it is and what it is.

As for me, I would rather head to Bandon Dunes or Cabot Links and get a whole lot more golf for the money then I’d get at Pebble. Same deal with how much they charge for a round at Pinehurst #2. I’ll play Pine Needles and Mid Pines and pay for a hotel for less money then what I’d pay for the greens fees at #2 and get a better golf experience.

P.T. Barnum was spot on when he said, “there’s a sucker born every minute.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much as I'd love to play PB, the value side of my DNA just can't get past such prices.  I'd rather play a handful of high end, but no so well known, courses for that coinage.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

They only raised the greens fee 5%.  That's not too bad.  

If you don't like $575, then you probably didn't like $550.  Some things were not meant for everyone... fact of life.  If you want it bad enough, there are ways to get it.  If you think it's a waste of money, then you don't want it bad enough.  I guess I fall into that category.  I have always wanted a Ferrari, but thought it was too much money.  At one point in my life I had the opportunity to buy one, but it would have taken all the money I had saved.  I didn't buy it because I learned that the required annual service fee was $1500 + parts and labor.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Pacific Grove Golf Links.. 2/3 the course at 2/23 the price. 8c743402ee1aab986132cfc20c38fbd1.jpegPGGL-Aerial-99-5x7_05135d07-5056-a36a-0add0dcd2c1a3680.jpegdownload.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

27 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If you don't like $575, then you probably didn't like $550.  Some things were not meant for everyone... fact of life.  If you want it bad enough, there are ways to get it.  If you think it's a waste of money, then you don't want it bad enough.  I guess I fall into that category.  I have always wanted a Ferrari, but thought it was too much money.  At one point in my life I had the opportunity to buy one, but it would have taken all the money I had saved.  I didn't buy it because I learned that the required annual service fee was $1500 + parts and labor.

Nailed it. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 8:26 PM, Kenny B said:

You were mislead by the cost of a Ferrari....It's much more.

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

15 hours ago, Flog4 said:

You were mislead by the cost of a Ferrari....It's much more.

LOL   That was in 1973 and it was a Dino 246GT with 13,000 miles on it.  Personal car of Ron Tonkin, the car dealer in Portland, OR.

I can't even imagine what it would be today.  If I have to ask, I can't afford it!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yet another reminder that my dad and I should have played it for $150 back in 1989.  But whatever.  Maybe I'll have enough money to play there one day.  Maybe not.  But just like the existence of PXG does not invalidate the existence of lower-cost clubs, this doesn't mean that there aren't cheaper golf courses to play.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 3 months later...

I've been lucky enough to play there twice and while the course is beautiful, and absolutely should be on a golf "Bucket List" due to its history, At the prices they charge and the difficulty of getting on there, I would only see myself playing it maybe every couple of years (to be fair I live within relatively close driving distance). The but to that statement is every year they have an NCGA Discount month where the price drops a couple hundred which makes it less painful to shell out and play. I would say if your in the area, but don't want to spend quite that much, check out Spanish Bay or Spyglass. Maybe even a short trip outside 17 mile drive up to Bayonet & Black horse. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x