TESTERS WANTED! ×

Extra Stiff Putter Shaft

I have heard a lot about Barney Adams's new stability putter shaft with its reported 1 degree of torque and he makes a compelling story about missing putts because of shaft deflection.  However, $200 for a putter shaft is pretty steep, especially when the putter may have already cost $200-$400.   Are there other alternatives out there for a more reasonable price?  Can I get similar results from a Dynamic Gold X100 (1.5 degrees torque, less after being cut) which runs less than $30?   

Anything else is an alternative. Is there anything that advertises that it does the same thing? No.

Putter shafts do have a variety of flexes, you can try iron shafts, graphite shafts, etc. but this one is unique. It is not the same as a stroke lab or the UST frequency filtered shaft.

Does it work? Some say yes, some say no.

If you want to try this, you have to bite the bullet.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This article:

https://mygolfspy.com/barney-adams-stability-putter-shaft/

talks about that shaft, and discusses at least one alternate.  I have a hard time believing that stiffness, whether in flex or in torsion, makes a significant different in putting.  The movements (and related accelerations) are just so slow that there's very little opportunity for twist or flex with normal shafts.  I don't doubt that weight, and distribution of weight, can make a difference for some players, but increased stiffness seems unnecessary.  The graphs being used in this shafts marketing show "wild oscillation" of the putterhead after impact using a steel shaft.  The article makes the very valid point that what happens after impact doesn't actually influence the path of the golf ball, because its AFTER the impact.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have a hard time believing that stiffness, whether in flex or in torsion, makes a significant different in putting. .  

I mostly agree with you. Feel becomes a driving factor. The stability shaft changes the feel of the putter. Just like people will swear by the true temper YSC or Mills pencil shaft. Do they
Actually improve performance? If you find the right feel, I am sure that you can optimize performance.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I mostly agree with you. Feel becomes a driving factor. The stability shaft changes the feel of the putter. Just like people will swear by the true temper YSC or Mills pencil shaft. Do they
Actually improve performance? If you find the right feel, I am sure that you can optimize performance.

No argument, for many players, if it feels better, they'll putt better, even if there's no "scientific" reason for the improved performance.  .  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia