Jmikecpa

Phoenix Golf

Our Sponsors

Need some help guys, booked a solo trip for just me to Phoenix March 9th to the 12th.  Need some advice on where to play.  Looking to play a minimum of 36 a day while I am there and will have a rental car.  Only place I have played in the area is the stadium course at TPC Scottsdale and based on the rates taking a hard pass this trip as I don't think it is worthy of the fees that are charged at Pebble to play it.  I also have an email out to my contract at Troon Golf trying to get a decent rate for Troon North on the 11th.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

I was there in November. Based of suggestions from here I played Aguila and Raven. 

Had a great time at both, they were in absolutely great shape. I was also a solo. At Aguila was paired with 3 locals. Like you I considered TPC Phoenix but passed due to price. The guys I played with said it's really not worth the money unless you REALLY want to play. Condition isn't much different than Aguila.

The Raven was totally Awesome 👍. Paired with 2 guys from Montreal Canada. They were much better than me but it didn't bother then. They were nice and quiet friendly thru the round.

I would highly recommend both courses.

Chris

• Like 1

Last year played at McDowell Mountain. Got a good deal and played as a solo. I like playing early am and they held me up until exactly 7 before they cut me loose. Day 2 was paired with a senior woman who was a very good golfer and a better playing partner you would never find. Course was in great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Raven is a good choice as @LeftyHawk mentioned and it's right next door to The Legacy off Baseline Road near South Mountain, so handy for playing 36.  Another choice is Grayhawk GC Talon and Raptor courses.  Both are excellent, but pricey.  Likely not much different than Troon North Pinnacle and Monument courses.

Have fun!!

• Like 1

I second.. or third the Raven. AZ grand is pretty awesome.

If you can come a little further south about 20 min to Chandler, Ocotillo golf club is fun. Lots of water but fun layout. If you can go further E about 30 min, Las Sendas is probably my favorite course in the valley.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I second.. or third the Raven. AZ grand is pretty awesome.

If you can come a little further south about 20 min to Chandler, Ocotillo golf club is fun. Lots of water but fun layout. If you can go further E about 30 min, Las Sendas is probably my favorite course in the valley.

I played AZ Grand a year ago, and a few of the fairways were a little thin in the grass dept; somewhat muddy.  But it was a good track, and not too far from The Raven as well.

I played Ocotillo many years ago when I was a 20 'cap and yes, there is a lot of water!!  It's also a Troon course.

If you are staying at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, the Wildfire GC is another option for 36 holes.  I've stayed there many times for meetings and snuck out to play... frequently!  The Palmer course is the typical desert course and the Faldo course is more linksy except with more undulations in the fairways.  I scored better on the Palmer course, but liked the Faldo course better.  It should be in great condition during your trip as the LPGA Founders Cup starts March 16.  That tournament uses a combo of holes from both courses.

Finally was able to book my rounds and thanks for the input.  Had to change some things around with my Troon contact bailing on me.

Day 1:  Arizona Grand in the AM and Papago in the PM

Day 2:  Las Sendas in the AM and TBD in the afternoon

Day 3:  Legacy in the AM and Raven in the PM.

I have a room at the airport Marriott the day that I arrive and then I am actually staying at Legacy in a condo for the next few days.  

• Like 1

My day 2 TBD is now Talking Stick. Saw Coore and Crenshaw and couldn’t say no.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1 hour ago, Jmikecpa said:

Finally was able to book my rounds and thanks for the input.  Had to change some things around with my Troon contact bailing on me.

I have a room at the airport Marriott the day that I arrive and then I am actually staying at Legacy in a condo for the next few days.  

Say HI to the bartender at the Legacy.  I think his name is Dave... might be the bar manager.  Great Guy!!!

You have got to order the Calamari appetizer.  

Say HI to the bartender at the Legacy.  I think his name is Dave... might be the bar manager.  Great Guy!!!
You have got to order the Calamari appetizer.  

Will do. Will have to skip the seafood, not my thing but will enjoy a nice steak if I have too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Slight change to Day 1.  I am playing 36 at Whirlwind as opposed to what I booked.  Had a buddy come through with times for me at a good rate.

Hey if you find yourself with a couple hours in between rounds or before your flight and wanna play a really fun exec muni, Rolling Hills is right by the airport and probably my favorite exec here. When@Golfspy_CG2 was out here we had a good time.