Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Phoenix Golf

Jmikecpa

Need some help guys, booked a solo trip for just me to Phoenix March 9th to the 12th.  Need some advice on where to play.  Looking to play a minimum of 36 a day while I am there and will have a rental car.  Only place I have played in the area is the stadium course at TPC Scottsdale and based on the rates taking a hard pass this trip as I don't think it is worthy of the fees that are charged at Pebble to play it.  I also have an email out to my contract at Troon Golf trying to get a decent rate for Troon North on the 11th.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I was there in November. Based of suggestions from here I played Aguila and Raven. 

Had a great time at both, they were in absolutely great shape. I was also a solo. At Aguila was paired with 3 locals. Like you I considered TPC Phoenix but passed due to price. The guys I played with said it's really not worth the money unless you REALLY want to play. Condition isn't much different than Aguila.

The Raven was totally Awesome 👍. Paired with 2 guys from Montreal Canada. They were much better than me but it didn't bother then. They were nice and quiet friendly thru the round.

I would highly recommend both courses.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

• 2 weeks later...

Last year played at McDowell Mountain. Got a good deal and played as a solo. I like playing early am and they held me up until exactly 7 before they cut me loose. Day 2 was paired with a senior woman who was a very good golfer and a better playing partner you would never find. Course was in great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Raven is a good choice as @LeftyHawk mentioned and it's right next door to The Legacy off Baseline Road near South Mountain, so handy for playing 36.  Another choice is Grayhawk GC Talon and Raptor courses.  Both are excellent, but pricey.  Likely not much different than Troon North Pinnacle and Monument courses.

Have fun!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I second.. or third the Raven. AZ grand is pretty awesome.

If you can come a little further south about 20 min to Chandler, Ocotillo golf club is fun. Lots of water but fun layout. If you can go further E about 30 min, Las Sendas is probably my favorite course in the valley.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

58 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

If you can come a little further south about 20 min to Chandler, Ocotillo golf club is fun. Lots of water but fun layout. If you can go further E about 30 min, Las Sendas is probably my favorite course in the valley.

I played AZ Grand a year ago, and a few of the fairways were a little thin in the grass dept; somewhat muddy.  But it was a good track, and not too far from The Raven as well.

I played Ocotillo many years ago when I was a 20 'cap and yes, there is a lot of water!!  It's also a Troon course.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If you are staying at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, the Wildfire GC is another option for 36 holes.  I've stayed there many times for meetings and snuck out to play... frequently!  The Palmer course is the typical desert course and the Faldo course is more linksy except with more undulations in the fairways.  I scored better on the Palmer course, but liked the Faldo course better.  It should be in great condition during your trip as the LPGA Founders Cup starts March 16.  That tournament uses a combo of holes from both courses.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally was able to book my rounds and thanks for the input.  Had to change some things around with my Troon contact bailing on me.

Day 1:  Arizona Grand in the AM and Papago in the PM

Day 2:  Las Sendas in the AM and TBD in the afternoon

Day 3:  Legacy in the AM and Raven in the PM.

I have a room at the airport Marriott the day that I arrive and then I am actually staying at Legacy in a condo for the next few days.  

WITB 2024

My day 2 TBD is now Talking Stick. Saw Coore and Crenshaw and couldn’t say no.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

1 hour ago, Jmikecpa said:

Finally was able to book my rounds and thanks for the input.  Had to change some things around with my Troon contact bailing on me.

I have a room at the airport Marriott the day that I arrive and then I am actually staying at Legacy in a condo for the next few days.  

Say HI to the bartender at the Legacy.  I think his name is Dave... might be the bar manager.  Great Guy!!!

You have got to order the Calamari appetizer.  

Say HI to the bartender at the Legacy.  I think his name is Dave... might be the bar manager.  Great Guy!!!
You have got to order the Calamari appetizer.  

Will do. Will have to skip the seafood, not my thing but will enjoy a nice steak if I have too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Slight change to Day 1.  I am playing 36 at Whirlwind as opposed to what I booked.  Had a buddy come through with times for me at a good rate.

WITB 2024

Hey if you find yourself with a couple hours in between rounds or before your flight and wanna play a really fun exec muni, Rolling Hills is right by the airport and probably my favorite exec here. When@Golfspy_CG2 was out here we had a good time.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 5 weeks later...

I'll be heading there for a short business trip once things clear up a bit. Hopefully I can find time for a least a quick nine. Any recommendations would be appreciated! 

Titleist AP2 718 - AMT White S300 Shafts, Standard Length and Lie

Rocketballz RBZ Stage 2 - 10.5 degrees, Stiff 60g Fujikura Rocketfuel Shaft

Right Handed

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Handicap - 7.8

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2020 at 7:55 PM, azstu324 said:

Moved to Gilbert a few months ago from Oregon. Working in Chandler and been testing courses one by one in that area. Ocotillo is a blast. 27 holes there, so can make a great golf day out of it. 

I haven't got to Las Sendas yet. Looks gorgeous and the prices can be reasonable. Seen alot of Malaska videos out there. I need to make that one happen. 

Have you ever played Dinosaur Mountain?

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

33 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Moved to Gilbert a few months ago from Oregon. Working in Chandler and been testing courses one by one in that area. Ocotillo is a blast. 27 holes there, so can make a great golf day out of it. 

I haven't got to Las Sendas yet. Looks gorgeous and the prices can be reasonable. Seen alot of Malaska videos out there. I need to make that one happen. 

first off, welcome to Hell.. I mean Arizona 😜. Jk. I only say that because summer is already here punching us all in the face. 

Yeah I've played both the Gold Canyon Courses. Dinasour's a blast. IMO though Las Sendas is a better value for a comparable course and I'd rather save the extra 20 min drive and play there over either course at GC. If you have an opportunity to play Dinasour, don't let it pass you by. 

Sounds like you're right in my neck of the woods. 

Other courses you might check out are Superstition Springs (the beast), Western Skies, San Marcos, Trilogy, Viewpoint (Mesa). Red Mountain Ranch, 

Some execs that are worth checking out are Greenfield Lakes, Sunland Village/Sunland Village East, and Springfield. I'm actually headed to Springfield at 5 when I get off work. They have a really cool twilight membership. $90/mo and unlimited golf after 2, 7 days/wk. It also includes a bucket of balls and it's month to month.   

MAXFLI  Tour CG

7 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

first off, welcome to Hell.. I mean Arizona 😜. Jk. I only say that because summer is already here punching us all in the face. 

Yeah I've played both the Gold Canyon Courses. Dinasour's a blast. IMO though Las Sendas is a better value for a comparable course and I'd rather save the extra 20 min drive and play there over either course at GC. If you have an opportunity to play Dinasour, don't let it pass you by. 

Other courses you might check out are Superstition Springs (the beast), Western Skies, San Marcos, Trilogy, Viewpoint (Mesa). Red Mountain Ranch, 

Some execs that are worth checking out are Greenfield Lakes, Sunland Village/Sunland Village East, and Springfield. I'm actually headed to Springfield at 5 when I get off work. They have a really cool twilight membership. $90/mo and unlimited golf after 2, 7 days/wk. It also includes a bucket of balls and it's month to month.   

Thank you for the recommendations. I've played a few of those. Western Skies for the first time last Saturday. I consider Trilogy my home course. Red Mountain has been on to do list. But I will have to check out Springfield. Hadn't heard of that one. Thanks again. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

5 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Thank you for the recommendations. I've played a few of those. Western Skies for the first time last Saturday. I consider Trilogy my home course. Red Mountain has been on to do list. But I will have to check out Springfield. Hadn't heard of that one. Thanks again. 

Too funny. I was at Western Skies too. Tee'd off at 1

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 5/18/2020 at 4:50 PM, scooterhd2 said:

Just south of Chandler is the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Course. It's a Troon managed course and is an absolute blast of a play.

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

34 minutes ago, PowerFadetoaslice said:

Just south of Chandler is the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Course. It's a Troon managed course and is an absolute blast of a play.

Yes. I have a buddy from back in Oregon that has a place in Maricopa and I met him there to play it. That places looks like Australia. Was expecting to see kangaroos out there. And those greens gave it to me. I had such a hard time getting shots to hold. Kicked my you know what, but it was a blast to play. Very fun setup. Some tee shots that really make you think about club selection and shot shape. And the first and only time I advanced the ball 20 yards but still took 2 shots to get out of a bunker. HAHA. Was great. I would definitely go back. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2020 at 3:44 PM, azstu324 said:

Checked two of your recommendations of the list. Got out to Springfield last Thursday after work. Fun course there and it was in really nice shape. I'll definitely go back, as its so quick to play, the price is right, and its great fun and practice. Played Bear Creek on Friday, Trilogy PR on Saturday, and then Dinosaur Mountain on Sunday. What a beauty that was!

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

42 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Checked two of your recommendations of the list. Got out to Springfield last Thursday after work. Fun course there and it was in really nice shape. I'll definitely go back, as its so quick to play, the price is right, and its great fun and practice. Played Bear Creek on Friday, Trilogy PR on Saturday, and then Dinosaur Mountain on Sunday. What a beauty that was!

Springfield has kind of become my home away from home.. It's actually not in the best condition right now as they are still prepping for summer. The heat snuck up on everybody pretty quickly so a lot of courses are getting a later start. For an exec though, they really take the maintenance seriously AND the price is just so cheap and everybody at the course is just super cool. 

Being able to play there a couple times/wk has really helped me get my game dialed in. Before I had my membership I was hovering around 11 hdcp and am now around 8. Whenever I am able to get out to a bigger course, I'm not having to use the first 9 to figure out my game so that's been a huge help. 

I'm usually able to get out around 5 so hit me up if you're ever up for a late afternoon round!

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 4 months later...

Had some company in town and just played Las Sendas, Raven, and TPC Stadium course all for the first time. Really enjoyed all of them. Very different courses. Sendas is gorgeous and I am sure I will be back there. Should score better next time, as there were some holes that are difficult to pull tee clubs for. Got duped on #6 where I hit a hybrid right next to the aiming pole, only to find out I didnt round the corner and still needed another 10 yards or so to even be able to see the green. That hole is like a double dog leg. 3 wood would be safe, although I think I could really cut the corner with the driver. Oh well. Shot a 79 on the Stadium Course and that made me weekend. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER