Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

NPG Episode 30: Is The Plain White Golf Ball Dying?

GolfSpy MPR

DEBATE: Is The Plain White Golf Ball Dying?

We're back from the PGA Show to discuss the return of the Tommy Armour 845s and whether the white golf ball is experiencing a slow, steady demise.

1:17 - An update on Most Wanted Driver testing and life at HQ
6:30 - We reminisce about the classic 845 irons and their return in modern form
16:57 - Does the 2020 Taylormade PIX signal the beginning of a new trend in non-white golf balls?
40:15 - Are social media influencers losing influence?
47:53 - A new shaft from Fujikura: The Motore X

Listen to NPG:

Watch NPG:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I personally don't see a debate. What's there to debate? If you like playing a white ball so be it. (I do) If you prefer anything else - have at it. A debate might be approprite if perhaps the USGA were banning the white ball or a colored one. But they're not. Carry on and have a nice day.🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I personally don't see a debate. What's there to debate? If you like playing a white ball so be it. (I do) If you prefer anything else - have at it. A debate might be approprite if perhaps the USGA were banning the white ball or a colored one. But they're not. Carry on and have a nice day.🏌️♂️

I'd agree - who cares - play what you like and what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'd say it's more like non-white balls are just gaining popularity.  I prefer white color balls but have started playing colored ones, particularly the matte finish, once in a while.  My guess is that we'll eventually see a 50/50 split.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I can remember when non-white golf balls were the wave of the future, in the 1980s.  I think both Jerry Pate and Hale Irwin used them.  They're definitely here to stay, but I don't see white balls ever becoming extinct.  Of course, they probably said that about white tennis balls at one time.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

23 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I can remember when non-white golf balls were the wave of the future, in the 1980s.  I think both Jerry Pate and Hale Irwin used them.  They're definitely here to stay, but I don't see white balls ever becoming extinct.  Of course, they probably said that about white tennis balls at one time.

As a former Tennis player, I can tell you that the demise of the white ball was welcomed. The yellow ball is much easier to wrack and stays visible even when it's dirty. The white balls got gray and very hard to see.

Edited by silver & black
spelling

the white ball is on a slow death march at the moment. Now, that can change just as fast as fashion does. But, with Titleist coming out with a yellow ball that is a good indication that they see profit in it. I see more and more juniors buying colored balls. 

The white ball will never completely go away, but will become the minority I think over the next 10-15. Years. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I am sure the plain white ball is not going away in my life time.  I like the ball to be solid and yellow or pink for ease of following.  Back a few years ago I found a few dozen hot pink Bridgestone B330 rx that were made for Paula Creamer.  I bought the first dozen as a lark for a golf outing, though I did play the same ball in white.  I was amazed at how much easier it was to find my ball in the rough and woods.  I have tried to find a top tier ball that was pink or yellow.  I was super happy when Titlist came out with the yellow Pro V1.  I don't like a busy ball like the Truvis or Pics.  I really would love to get more of those pink Bridgestones.  The had the full name instead of just the B which gave good lines.  The pink was easy to see and nobody else used them, and I know that is why I can't find any more because there is no market for them.  That said has anyone tested the Bridgestone's with the upgraded (reflex?) urethane cover?

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

3 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

the white ball is on a slow death march at the moment. Now, that can change just as fast as fashion does. But, with Titleist coming out with a yellow ball that is a good indication that they see profit in it. I see more and more juniors buying colored balls. 

The white ball will never completely go away, but will become the minority I think over the next 10-15. Years. 

Again, there were high-quality colored balls in play on the PGA Tour back in the 1980s.  40 years later, and they still haven't taken over.  Their popularity has increased and decreased in cycles ever since then, and its definitely increasing now.  But I don't believe that they'll become a majority in my golfing lifetime, which is unlikely to extend much more than 20 years from now.  I know, its all crystal ball stuff, nobody can tell the future.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Again, there were high-quality colored balls in play on the PGA Tour back in the 1980s.  40 years later, and they still haven't taken over.  Their popularity has increased and decreased in cycles ever since then, and its definitely increasing now.  But I don't believe that they'll become a majority in my golfing lifetime, which is unlikely to extend much more than 20 years from now.  I know, its all crystal ball stuff, nobody can tell the future.

You could be right I am totally guessing. But, unlike the 80s. There are way more people accepting of of alternative golf accessories and equipment. blue drivers, green, orange, white, etc. People want options. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 2 months later...

I think white will always be around and the color with the most sales. I am not opposed to colored balls and prefer a yellow ball to play in the spring and fall as this color is easier to see for me with dormant grass and fallen leaves. White seems to blend into the foliage more than other colors at that time. As a side note, while playing in the summer, I came across a blue ball and thought to myself, that is why you could not find your ball - blended in too well with the green grass.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I hope not! I’m glad other people enjoy them, but I personally can’t stand the look of anything but a clean white ball with a tidy logo like ProV1 or Z Star. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce