Our Sponsors

I just pre-ordered three new SM8 wedges. I was going to get chrome, but my golf coach convinced me to get raw because of the glare with chrome. I LOVE the look of raw wedges brand new or even with a little rust, but I don't like the fully rusted look. I am not worried about long term rust because I get wedges every year due to my tournaments. I have read about using things like WD-40 to prevent rust and using CLR to remove rust. However, will these things harm my wedges? Or does anyone else have any tips for raw wedge maintenance?

:titelist-small: TS3 9* (Tensei AV Blue 55 Stiff Flex)

:titelist-small: TS3 15* (Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex)

:titelist-small: TS3 18.5* (Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex)

:titelist-small: T100 4-PW (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 50* F Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 54* F Grind; 10* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 58* M Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Triple Track Ten S Putter

:titelist-small: ProV1

"Practice like you've never won. Play like you've never lost."

I just pre-ordered three new SM8 wedges. I was going to get chrome, but my golf coach convinced me to get raw because of the glare with chrome. I LOVE the look of raw wedges brand new or even with a little rust, but I don't like the fully rusted look. I am not worried about long term rust because I get wedges every year due to my tournaments. I have read about using things like WD-40 to prevent rust and using CLR to remove rust. However, will these things harm my wedges? Or does anyone else have any tips for raw wedge maintenance?

WD is what I use to clean minor oxidation off chains and metal hand tools. You’re likely not the first person to ask this and I’ll bet there are some good tutorials on YouTube.

As long as you’re not using a grinding wheel or 40 grit, a very light abrasive will not harm your new tools.

Congrats on the new purchase...hope they serve you well.
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

If you like the minor rust and hate the chrome look go for the black wedges next time. They moderately rust over time and kill the glare. I have been playing Vokey black wedges for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

3 hours ago, Ultimate Junior Golfer said:

Or does anyone else have any tips for raw wedge maintenance?

Just let them rust.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you simple wipe them down at the end of your round and store them dry they will not rust like crazy. 

Well, I guess it kind of depends on what type of climate you live in. I live in the desert so getting wedges to rust actually takes some effort to make it happen. haha. 

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a food grade silicone spray that my custom putter builder told me to use. I would tape the grooves off and then spray the whole wedge after you soak it in coke or clr to remove the black.

I always buy the black wedges and remove the finish within the first month or so.

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2020 at 7:47 PM, cnosil said:

Just let them rust.

That's what I do. If conditions are too dry for them to rust I'll take steps to make them rust faster.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many industrial options that would probably help with what you are after.  I'm not very familiar with raw club heads, but with the cheap black finish starting to come off my wedges, I may soon be.  My suggestion would be to look into some kind of lightweight oil to rub the heads down with or as mentioned something in the neighborhood of WD-40 or LPS #1.  LPS #3 (I believe) is a de-ruster/de-greaser.  It's hard for me to remember which LPS does what without using any other than #1 routinely.  Guess I could go to the tool crib at my job and look at the cans.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

As long as you wipe them off after every shot, you should be fine.  The moisture is whats going to make them rust, so anything you do to keep moisture off of them should be fine.  You can coat them with some kind of oil if you want but the first time you wipe any grass/dirt/water off of them, you are also wiping most of the oil off

Whats in my Top-Flite Gamer 2019 cart bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Top-Flite Gamer 2020 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Pinemeadow PGX SL

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I love the raw wedges,  good choice!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

• 1 month later...

Just ordered SM8 in raw finish as well. I think the rust is hard to avoid over time. I think the raw finish will actually make the wedges last slightly longer than chrome due to them not having a coating that will wear and make the grooves dull faster.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero, 9.5*, VA Nemesys 75, Golfpride MCC Align Midsize

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max Fairway Wood, 15*, Stock shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Titleist U500 21*, Hzrdus Smoke Stiff, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan Icon Irons 8-PW, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan PTxPro Irons 4-7, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 60*, Stock vokey shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron California Mid-Mallet

I believe if you use some steel wool next time you clean your clubs it should help get a lot of the rust off.

Driver:  :titelist-small:  TS3 w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki

DI: :nike-small: Vapor Fly Pro 3 iron with Fujikura Pro tour spec 95x

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ DG TI S300 AMT White

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM6 52, TVD raw 60

Putter:   Compass Golf Co Custom Face Balanced Blade

Ball:  :Snell: MTB-X