Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putter Fitting

Putter Fitting  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever has a putter fitting?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Did you find it beneficial (help understand your putting mechanics)?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. Did you end up buying a different (recommended) putter?

• yes
    • no
  4. 4. Are you putting better as a result of the fitting and/or new putter?

• yes
    • no
    • no change
  5. 5. Do you recommend putter fittings?

• yes
    • no

So I'm now focused on getting from my current 12 handicap into single digits.  While all aspects of my game still need improvement, I'm certain putting is my biggest challenge attaining the goal. My current PING B61 putter was acquired on a whim using a $50 award from a company tournament.... back in 1988.  Using the PING on-line static fitting tool and shadow putting, I think I'm a "slight arc", "medium tempo", "conventional stance".  I chose "need help on shorter putts" and also "both left and right misses".  It comes back recommending the Sigma Arna Stealth at 35.5" length.

My current putter is 34.5" long and is listed as a balanced weight, slight toe-hang. Not sure how much another inch in length might affect how this putter works, or whether this particular putter is even in the correct orbit for my putting mechanics?  PING offers free fittings and they are available at Sun City Grand where we're currently looking for a new home. One thing I'm a little concerned with is that fitting being too PING putter centric.  I'm definitely open to other makes/models and hope the data provided offers what is needed to define what specs in a putter I should focus on.

It will be an interesting project.  Love to hear your thoughts and what the poll tells us.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

First putter fitting was the basic loft, lie, and length type fitting;  basically a waste of time.  Found a putting instructor that dealt a lot of Puttlab and the theory of putting.  He doesn't teach a method but helps you build your putting style and then finding a putter to fit that style.   Have had significant improvement in putting since I started down the path of learning about the putting stroke.  All of this was done via email/video exchange and sending a puttlab report or two.  A couple of years ago I did a club champion full bag fitting which had a putter fitting; result was don't change anything.  I have changed some things since then,  but what I learned about analyzing my putting stroke enables me to understand how a different putter will impact my stroke and how to correct things when I get on the course.    

My approach to most things is learning about how it works;  no different with the putting stroke.  On the course,  I tend to favor a bit more of a feel approach than mechanical.  I spend lots of time indoors working on face angle at impact so i can start the ball on my intended line.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There are so many different putters and putting styles, and I have used several over the past 10-15 years.  I know what I like and what feels good to me.  I still go into golf shops and pick up a few putters and within a couple of swings, I know it is/isn't for me.  I lie heavy, face-balanced putters.  When I pick up a putter that has a 350g head, it's too light and I put it down after a couple of putts.  However, I think that if I was given a putter... any putter... I could learn to putt with it given enough time.  Would I putt as well as I do now?  Probably not.  But if it was the only putter I had, I could make it work well enough.

A short story...  As I said, I like heavy face-balanced putters.  I have used them for years.  When I was on a trip, I played with a good friend of mine, but I didn't have my clubs.  The course had brand new Titleist rentals with a Bullseye putter.  Putters don't have more toe hang than Bullseye putters. LOL.  I spent an hour on the putting green before we played thinking that I was going to stink up the greens.  I actually putted fairly well during our round.  I got used to it, but I would never own one.

Having been through a Ping fitting, I would recommend it or any other putter fitting because it helps you understand your particular stroke.  Knowing your stroke helps get you a putter that eliminates the need to make compensations in your stroke, which is what I had to do with the Bullseye.  The basic loft, length and lie fitting gets you in the ballpark, but you will know when a putter really fits your stroke... at least I did.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have had three putter fittings over the years.

First was on a SAM system about nine years ago.  Stroke was good and nothing beat out my current putter, only changed the grip.

Second was 2 years ago at TXG using quintic.  I went in wanting to try Evnroll putters since I would be crazy not to take advantage of the groove technology.  Theire were numerous models but the ones I tried could not be adjusted to meet my specs (lie was too flat) since they did not have a hosel.  I ordered the putter to the specs I would need to get over the ball in my stance.  The putter ended up being a pull machine in my hands.  I kept at it for a year and a half but finally gave up on it.  All my fault as I did not go into the fitting with an open mind and tried to force myself into a putter that I thought would be best.  Lesson learned.

Third fitting was a few weeks ago at TXG again.  Had the fitting with John whose knowledge of the putting stroke is exceptional.  We talked about my putting and misses which tend to be short and slightly to the right.  It turns out I have developed a hitch in my stroke of straight back and through but inside out at the same time.  Pushing the ball to the right while cutting across at impact resulting in inconsistent distance, mainly short.  Maybe an overcompensation from my last putter.  John showed me some things to get my stroke back to a slight arc which helped with my consistency.I have been practicing and will wait a few more weeks before going back and see if another putter can replace mine.

I believe everyone should have a putter fitting but always go in without preconceived notions of what you want.  Work with the fitter to find out what you really need.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

31 minutes ago, ED13 said:

Second was 2 years ago at TXG using quintic.

Had to look up TXG (Tour Experience Golf)... looks like the Canada version of Club Champion or True Spec.  As I mentioned, I'm definitely open to any make/model.  The PING fitting is free but I won't be rolling any Scotty, Evnroll, or Bettinardi putters for comparison.  When you stop and consider that, for most golfers, putting easily represents 30-50% of their score, spending at least as much time on a putter as a driver makes good sense.... and I suspect I'm not alone in not having done that.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)