TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver v Driver (Which One Wins it’s place in the bag)

GregB135

Just ordered a PXG 811x Gen 1 driver through the heroes program.

I won’t post the price here. Suffice to say though, it was a price I couldn’t refuse.

Once iris delivered, I will put it through the paces against the 917 as I get ready for league season to start.

Keep in mind, at a recent GOLFTEC driver fitting, the 917 couldn’t be beat by the new stuff on the rack.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

That's how I just got my new 3-wood.  Once tuned to my liking then I put it on the TopTracer range and it was night and day different vs my old Cobra F8.  Good luck, let me know what you think

WTB:

:callaway-small: Callaway EPIC Flash Sub Zero Triple Black Diamond 10.5* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 757 x-flex

PXG 0341 Gen 1 3-wood w/ Aldila NV2KXV Blue 70g x-flex

:ping-small: Ping G400 22* x-flex

:mizuno-small: Mizuno MP-18SC 4-6i w/ Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw x-flex

:mizuno-small: Mizuno MP-20 7-PW w/ Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw x-flex

:ping-small: Ping Glide 2 52,56 and 60* w/ Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw x-flex

:bettinardi-1:  Bettinardi Kuchar Arm lock model #1 @ 42"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

:Arccos:

You won't post the price? That makes me want to know so much more!

I am also very interested to see how the Gen 1 does against your 917

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

57 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

Via the heroes program the gen 1 drivers are extremely cheap. It’s been awhile since I looked but they are under $150 iirc

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, jayjay0808 said:

Let's just say that compared to original release price the PXG Heroe's program price is at a SIGNIFICANT discount. Enough so that I went ahead with the order even though my recent driver fitting at Golftec was a 'keep what you have' result.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been neglecting this thread. Still waiting for the email from PXG with the shipping date and tracking number. 

Here's what I know so far. I placed a totally online order for a 9* driver with their available options on 29 Jan and got an invoice and order number. Today is 26 Feb and I have not received any follow up at all from PXG on the status of that order. Subsequent checks to the PXG for Heroes options no longer show 9* drivers available. I'm wondering if I got the last one...  I'm also not sure that I'll have the driver in hand before I take a 2-week work trip that takes me right up to the start of my league season.

Haven't been neglecting this thread. Still waiting for the email from PXG with the shipping date and tracking number. 
Here's what I know so far. I placed a totally online order for a 9* driver with their available options on 29 Jan and got an invoice and order number. Today is 26 Feb and I have not received any follow up at all from PXG on the status of that order. Subsequent checks to the PXG for Heroes options no longer show 9* drivers available. I'm wondering if I got the last one...  I'm also not sure that I'll have the driver in hand before I take a 2-week work trip that takes me right up to the start of my league season.

I would call them.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Emailed customer service. Reply came very quickly which was nice. Seems I've yet again encountered the back-ordered shaft conundrum (see G410 iron test thread). They expect to receive the shaft for production in early March so I should expect delivery shortly after. Again, given their Heroes Program pricing, I'm not complaining, just would have been nice to have gotten word from them on the back order without having to chase it down myself.

This timing is going to make the start of league season interesting as delivery will likely occur just before our season opener. There are two weeks between events 1 and 2 though, so I should be able to get some good testing done to decide whether or not to change.

The wait on a product like this would absolutely drive me nuts.  I have no patience as it is, so this would drive me insane.  You are a better man than I am.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

1 hour ago, Mr. 82 said:

The wait on a product like this would absolutely drive me nuts.  I have no patience as it is, so this would drive me insane.  You are a better man than I am.

At least knowing about the delay will diminish the number of daily email inbox checks looking for the shipping message 🤪

The 917 might be realizing its days are potentially numbered.
7/11 fairways yesterday (2 3Ws and a hybrid) with a slightly wind aided 280 best.
The PXG has its work cut out.

• 2 weeks later...

What’s the word gregb?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Patience is not a virtue of most golfers

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Aaaaaand… still waiting.

Taking advantage of PXG's Hero Program pricing was a very attractive option for trying out a new driver without breaking the whole bank. I think that's a fantastic way for them to clear final or 'obsolete' inventory and earn a little good PR while they are at it. I can't say I've been impressed with customer relations so far. I had to ping them with an email a full month after the order to find out the shaft was on back order. They claimed the shaft would be on hand early in March, but I'm yet to receive the ready for shipment email or any other correspondence from  PXG. Can anyone verify the experience is better when ordering from the current release inventory? If not, that may be a contributing factor to some of their sales struggles.

The good news: Finally received the shipping notice on my PXG driver.

The bad news: Expected delivery is on Saturday when I'm playing in my league's season opener. Tee ball accuracy is a premium at the tourney site this week so that may be more good news than bad, it wouldn't have been in the bag yet anyway.

The other good news: I'll have two weeks between events to compare the two and decide whether or not the PXG goes in the bag for event 2.

I'll take a couple of pictures to add later, but the driver arrived in premium packaging, a nice shipping carton with foam support inside. It looks absolutely menacing with the matte black crown, black shaft, and black grip I've already dubbed it 'Darth Driver 2'. (Darth Drvier was my Ping Anser) 

Keep in mind, I didn't use a fitter, but knowing my current driver performance, I asked the fitter at my local club (whom I trust) which shaft option was closest to the one I was using in the Titleist. End result, 9* PXG 811x with the Hzrds Smoke Yellow 60g shaft. The club arrived with the default weight configuration for low/back cg (all the heavy weights across the back). My only adjustment before taking it to the range was to move two heavy weights from far rear outside to far front outside (slightly higher moi configuration), but stayed with the standard loft/lie setting. This is the only downside I've noted so far. The packaging included the adjustment tool but not a guide for configuring the weights for desired results. The PXG website suggests calling one of their staff fitters to consult over the phone. Although, if you understand the basics behind weight positioning and the three centers (mass/gravity/balance) you'll have a decent idea of what should happen to ball flight as you monkey with the weights.

All that said, first swings were pretty promising. It has great balance to it. The alignment aid on the crown is subdued but effective. Sound and feel are a little more muted than the 917. I learned to like the sound as I hit it more. On the course I played I hit driver on 7/14 non par-3 tee shots. And I was 4/7 for fairways hit with the PXG. My 18 birdies history says my FIR % is about 30 so 4/7 is improvement. Two of those FIRs were on swings I know were centered up on good swings and those two balls were about 10-15 yards closer to the green than I'm accustomed to seeing on the holes in question. 

So.... if these results hold things are looking good for the PXG. Slightly more accurate and a little longer to boot.... who could argue? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Got another couple of rounds in with the PXG. One was a nine-hole playing lesson, so only hit it two or three times. Then got in a full round yesterday. Both rounds I was trying to focus a little more on the technique/feel tweak from the latest lesson so may not have been swinging at full speed. Fairway percentage is up, and even the missed fairways are in better position, so my 'wild miss' count with the long clubs is dropping. I didn't have any of the 'wow that was long' swings in either round. But, if I'm playing from the short grass or down the line of the hole that is going to shave strokes. Looking good for the PXG right now. I have to get a chance to do a 1v1 battle to see what I get there.

• 3 weeks later...

Right now I’m liking the feel and results of the PXG. It may not be as consistently long as the Titleist but it seems to be going straighter.
Keeping it in the bag for now as the gamer heading into a league play event on Saturday.

gregb thanks for these updates, i'm interested in the PXG with the discounts I have seen lately on their site.  you have a lot of good info here, and it seems like it is performing well. 

• Driver:cobra-small: F9 Speedback 9 degree / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 Stiff
  • 3 Wood:callaway-small:  X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite 
  • 5 Wood:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite
  • 3 Hybrid:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 80g Mid/Mid Torque Graphite
  • 4-PW,AW:taylormade-small: RocketBladez / Taylormade RocketFuel Steel
  • LW:vokey-small: BV 60-04 
  • Putter:1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact Series No. 3
  • Ball:  :Snell:MTB-X Optic Yellow

9 hours ago, GambyGolfGuy said:

gregb thanks for these updates, i'm interested in the PXG with the discounts I have seen lately on their site.  you have a lot of good info here, and it seems like it is performing well. 

Thanks GGG,

One thing I'm sure you've noticed, the Gen1 clubs are very limited inventory. I think I actually ordered their last 9* Gen1 driver. Just a day or two after ordering mine, the 9* option was no longer selectable in the club build options.

If you already know your equivalent shaft and other iron specs, the 211 irons are a REALLY good deal in the players/GI iron category.

With my Gen1 driver about the only thing I've had to adjust to is the sound/feel. I try to put performance over that but if you weight feel highly, the Gen1 doesn't provide a lot of feel feedback. What it gives is pretty subtle, so I've had to spend some extra time with it on the range to learn it's language with respect to sound/feel of the strike. The best way to describe the sound is unique. It's kind of a muted pingy sound. I was on the range Saturday and asked the gentleman at the next station how he liked his PXG. He asked how I knew that's what he was hitting, and all I said was 'I knew the sound'.

Hope that all helps

Happy hunting!

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I posted here.

Things have been a bit up and down with the PXG driver of late. In a recent league round, I played one of my best tee-to-green rounds in a long time (10/14 FIR, 7/18 GIR) I blew it on the greens and walked away with a 90.

A few days later in a practice round, grand total of 3 FIR and 1 GIR.

I've played a few practice rounds with both drivers in the bag to get some 1-v-1 comparisons. Launch is definitely higher with the Titleist. Still seems like I hit the PXG a little straighter, but the overall feel of the club just seems not quite right right now.

I've got  a couple of weeks to figure things out before the next league event so hopefully I'll have a winner in the bag soon.