Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Searching my wedges for 2020

Monaco

Hi there,

I´m searching for my new wedges in .2020

I play cbx in 50* and 54*, PM in 60*. Irons are the Apex pro.

My go-to-wedge around the green, where i nedd different type of shots, is the Callaway PM 19 60*. 

It`s versatile, love the shape if i`m opening the face. But i thing i`ve never had hit one full shot with these... 😂

I never do this with a 60* wedge. 

60*: I will renew this PM 60*!

While i never would change my PM, i`m thinking about to replace the CBX`s.

I`m using the 50* and 54* for full shots and partial shots, no open face, less chipping, and for a bit longer greenside bunker shots.

So for that, the shape of the CBX is versatile enough, never had issues. The forgiveness level on these is good.

I think i´m a not to bad ball striker, but in my mind a misshit from 100yards and in is the worst thing, that can happen. Hit from a bad lie a little bit out of the toe with a bladed wedge and land short in a bunker or water hazard...

But i have a little gapping problem.

My Apex Pro PW is carry 143 yards, my CBX 50* 120 yards... (130m vs 110m)

So what can i do? Is another wedge better in this perspective?  Bend my wedges? 

I have a look on CBX 2 and Glide 3.0. Are there other`s to look at? Gapping, forgivness?

What can you guys say about CBX 2 vs Glide 3.0? 😅

You have several choices:

Learn to fill the gaps with your current wedges...choke down, partial swing, narrow stance, etc.

Bend the wedges to get better gaps. Dont know 9 iron distance so can’t tell if bending PW weaker would impact gap to 9.

Buy new wedges but try them to make sure they go the distances you need.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Between window shopping and hands on demoing, I would complete this and use it as a guide for your final decision.

https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-selector-tool.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 hours ago, Monaco said:

Hi there,

My go-to-wedge around the green, where i nedd different type of shots, is the Callaway PM 19 60*. 

It`s versatile, love the shape if i`m opening the face. But i thing i`ve never had hit one full shot with these... 😂

I`m using the 50* and 54* for full shots and partial shots, no open face, less chipping, and for a bit longer greenside bunker shots.

So for that, the shape of the CBX is versatile enough, never had issues. The forgiveness level on these is good.

I think i´m a not to bad ball striker, but in my mind a misshit from 100yards and in is the worst thing, that can happen. Hit from a bad lie a little bit out of the toe with a bladed wedge and land short in a bunker or water hazard...

I have a look on CBX 2 and Glide 3.0. Are there other`s to look at? Gapping, forgivness?

I am also looking for a wedge this year.  I love my Callaway PM 2019 60º and 54º; won't be replacing them.  I also don't full shot with my 60... or my 54.  However, I have a gap from my 54 to my set PW, so looking for a 50º.  I don't care for the Callaway MD wedges, and have been considering the CBX2 based on looks alone.  Nowhere around here to actually try one out; might have to give the 2ndswing.com playability guarantee a try.

You don't say what a comfortable distance is for your 54º.  I assume no gapping issues there.  Certainly, adding a wedge is possible if you have room in the bag without losing a club that you need.  If it's time to get a new wedge anyway, I think the CBX2 would be a good choice, however I'm not a fan of bending the loft of clubs with a v-sole but that's just me.  You might want to consider the shaft for the club.  I don't know what shaft and stiffness you have in your 50º but I gained yards by using a lighter, slightly softer flex without affect shot performance.  A lot of players use a softer flex than "wedge flex" for feel on finesse shots.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I would suggest looking at the shaft differences between your Apex PW and you 50* wedge.  My feeling is that if you're using your wedges as full swing shots, you'd benefit from having the same shaft and swing weights as your irons.  The only shaft that's different in my iron lineup is my 60* CBX2, but that is my wedge around the green and partial pitch shots and I rarely, if ever, use it for full shots.  Even my 54* sand wedge is primarily used as a regular iron more than a finesse wedge, which is why I chose to match it's characteristics to the rest of my irons.  I still, however, frequently use my sand and gap, as well as my PW, with partial shots for distance control.  It works for me but your mileage may vary 🙂 .

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 2/3/2020 at 5:02 PM, Kenny B said:

I am also looking for a wedge this year.  I love my Callaway PM 2019 60º and 54º; won't be replacing them.  I also don't full shot with my 60... or my 54.  However, I have a gap from my 54 to my set PW, so looking for a 50º.  I don't care for the Callaway MD wedges, and have been considering the CBX2 based on looks alone.  Nowhere around here to actually try one out; might have to give the 2ndswing.com playability guarantee a try.

You don't say what a comfortable distance is for your 54º.  I assume no gapping issues there.  Certainly, adding a wedge is possible if you have room in the bag without losing a club that you need.  If it's time to get a new wedge anyway, I think the CBX2 would be a good choice, however I'm not a fan of bending the loft of clubs with a v-sole but that's just me.  You might want to consider the shaft for the club.  I don't know what shaft and stiffness you have in your 50º but I gained yards by using a lighter, slightly softer flex without affect shot performance.  A lot of players use a softer flex than "wedge flex" for feel on finesse shots.

Yes, there is only a gapping issue between PW and 50*.

I have the stock shaft in my CBX, which is already a bit lighter. But i agree, there can i find a few yards to close the gap.

Do you or anyone played both, CBX and CBX2? it is worth the upgrade?

I can`t try them out here aswell. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 1:23 AM, Monaco said:

Hi there,

You might want to have the lofts checked as well. If you have had them for a while and or hit off mats often sometimes the lofts change. Sometimes they aren't correct in the first place. 

I had a similar yardage gap issue between PW and 50* and turns out my 50* was too weak.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:02 AM, Kenny B said:

I think the CBX2 would be a good choice

@Kenny B did you ever decide on a new wedge?

I've been using a 50* CBX2 for a few months now, it is basically magical. Best wedge I've ever touched. Coming from a long line of 588 variants, SMx, Mizuno, Callaway MacDaddy's etc. CBX2 is the right answer. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

3 hours ago, Thin2win said:

@Kenny B did you ever decide on a new wedge?

I've been using a 50* CBX2 for a few months now, it is basically magical. Best wedge I've ever touched. Coming from a long line of 588 variants, SMx, Mizuno, Callaway MacDaddy's etc. CBX2 is the right answer. 

Thanks for your input.  

I haven't yet.  Still playing a 44º PW and 54º Callaway PM Grind.  I'm glad you like it; it's at the top of my list.  I need to get custom specs, and hoping I would see some sales coming soon.  

One of the players I'm playing with this weekend has CBX2 wedges.  I need to ask if I can use one to hit my normal shots.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 5 weeks later...

Have you tried the Apex Pro AW as your gap wedge. If you are only using the 50* wedge for 3/4 to full shots it might be better to match it to your irons. 

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

Just wait about a month or two for the new Cleveland wedges and thank me later. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Just wait about a month or two for the new Cleveland wedges and thank me later. 

Are you referencing the zipcore wedges?

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Are you referencing the zipcore wedges?

They are awesome. the print is a little strange but who cares. Other than the RTX3 which were a miss. Cleveland has always been my wedge of choice. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

They are awesome. the print is a little strange but who cares. Other than the RTX3 which were a miss. Cleveland has always been my wedge of choice. 

Have heard about them and seen a few pics. People that have seen them say they are nice.

Wedges will be my next purchase. I would really like to do a fitting (titleist Thursday would be fine ) to learn a little bit and make sure I had lie angle correct. I have Cleveland wedges in my bag and would be fine with putting Cleveland’s back in the bag.